Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,164 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

A Cure For Malaria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Cure For Malaria? (26582 Views)

Cancer Drugs A Cure For HIV – Says Researchers / A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? / The Best Drug For Malaria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2006
k so i was sitting in my social studies class and we were all discussing viruses such as malaria, AIDS etcdont ask me why we were discussing a topic like that in socials studies class and how its seriously affecting africa and then my socials teacher made a statement saying that if these viruses were a huge deal in north america(not that it isnt, its much more worse in africa)that a cure would have been found by now or even years before. Do u ppl think its true? i would like to know ur opinion
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Badman888(m): 10:08pm On Jul 10, 2006
they are enough drugs for malaria that cures people, its all blown out of proportion in western world

1 Like

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Shagari2(m): 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2006
Sorry shawna, I'm afraid its true, tho our fore fathers had agbo a traditional medicine that seems to treat symptoms of malaria, the most effective drugs are all western and were developed when they came into contact with malaria. We didn't even know what caused it! embarassed
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Badman888(m): 7:05am On Jul 11, 2006
yup shagari it was when the missioneries came, that the africans knew malaria was related to mosquitoes, but they now made their drugs which could cure their own people.

1 Like

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by omogenaija(f): 1:55am On Jul 25, 2006
i dont know much bout malaria

but i know that there r shots , that can be used to prevent them,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by iice(f): 2:00am On Jul 25, 2006
Abeg drink Fansidar or get chloroquine, remove am shap shap, it's not big deal 4 me, 4 boarding school u must get am every term not a problem, go hospital get injection and start all over again lol

1 Like

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 3:23am On Jul 25, 2006
malaria is not caused by a virus  angry

in a lot of cases, viral infections can't be cured. they can only be managed, or suppressed or prevented with vaccines. this is why the common cold has no cure (and there are just too many kinds of cold viruses for a vaccine to be developed) and doctors will sometime tell you 'ah it is just a viral infection'. also why herpes both oral and genital cannot be cured. the human immune system has also involved in such a way that it takes care of a lot of viruses on its on.

anyhow apart from HIV being a retrovirus, it is also very wise and intelligent, always changing and stuff like that. a lot of viruses are like this too.

actually it doesnt matter if we knew or didnt know what caused malaria. the fact is that it was treatable. quinine bitter as it is, comes from barks of trees found in west africa, and the leaves of another tree are also good for treating malaria i think its dogon yaro. there are many ways to treat malaria today, quinine itself which is not much in use now (very bitter, causes itching) , chloroquine, fansidar, artemisin based drugs like cotexcin(these ones are the future), and other such. the problem with them esp in naija, is people produce fake drugs, or dilute the doses. hence the malaria parasite becomes survives the diluted doses and over time, the drug becomes ineffective (remember this from biology, subject the microorganism to weak doses of medication gradually increasing the dosage, eventually it will become resistant to the recommended dosage) . this is why dora akunyili is being targeted everywhere and there are many strains of malaria parasites resistant to a lot of medications.

what have we learnt then? when you are ill from malaria, finish your course of treatment! even if you feel better. do not let the above happen to you. ensure that NAFDAC registration is on your medicine packet. don't be cheap. try and verify the authenticity of your drugs. finally, put into practice all noted preventive measures including prophylaxics.
more and more people are now turning to traditional ways to combatting the disease.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 7:04am On Jul 25, 2006
Thank u gigette i have been trying to find a way to explain that there actually isnt any cure for malaria and that it can only be prevented i was going to use the herpes example like u used or the cold sore but any ways thank u very much u summed up pretty much everything i have been wanting to say i just didnt quite know how to put it together lol grin

The reason i started this topic was because my teacher said a cure for malaria would have been found 50yrs ago if it were a big deal in northamerica like it is in africa and i was wondering if thats true could it be some kind of conspiracy to just let malaria slowly kill black people undecided
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Seun(m): 7:09am On Jul 25, 2006
Shawna, you aren't listening to what we are saying.

Cures for malaria exist and we are using them.

Do you think you know more about malaria than we do, because you're in America? angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 7:11am On Jul 25, 2006
yeah shawna, there is a cure for malaria, more than one actually. who tol u there wasnt? undecided
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 7:16am On Jul 25, 2006
don't know much about malaria but i do know people are dying from it if there is a cure then why are lots of people dying of it and why does it keep coming back
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 7:27am On Jul 25, 2006
lol shawna
it keeps coming back firstly for the reasons i mentioned above: ppl dont complete their treatment or take fake or diluted drugs and the malaria parasite becomes resistant, so that future cases of malaria cannot be treated with that drug

even after it is cured. another mosquito can still come and bite you and you get it again and so the cycle begins

you may have malaria and after a while sweat out the fever and the symptoms and signs go away. but the malaria lays dormant ready to strike again at another time until the whole person is weakened. case in point : MKO

malaria can be very serious and dangerous. i'm not talking about the garden variety a lot of ppl get. it can affect the brain (cerebral malaria or sumn like that), my cousin once had it adn she went into a come, but thank God she came out of it. also repeatedly reoccuring malaria can affect the liver (this is kinda what i've seen sha) and just weakens it, i guess from all those drugs

ppl cannot afford these drugs or dont have access to them, or they think its witchcraft or jujut that is doing them, or they think that they will be saved by the blood of jesus thru their crazy pastor. a lot of stuff, they just dont take the drugs adn it gets too late

anopheles mosquitos are still everywhere, ppl still have stagnant pools of water outside their houses and whatnot. so they are still gettn bit

if you're not willing to fight malaria, it can kill you. case in point: bola ige's wife

to be honest, i dont know how so many ppl die of malaria, statistics from the west are usually sketchy. but i guess the above are some of the reasons
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:45am On Jul 25, 2006
There is no cure for malaria.
There are herbs and medication that you can take to prevent malaria
There are herbs and medications that you can take if you have malaria
but there are no herbs and medications that when taken give you complete immunity
im a wrong
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 7:47am On Jul 25, 2006
no u arent wrong

seun u changed my post angry gosh am starting to dislike u i thought u were cool but i guess i was wrong undecided
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:50am On Jul 25, 2006
lol what did he change tongue tongue
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 7:54am On Jul 25, 2006
i said a whole bunch of stuff about him disrespecting me and what not i seriously dont know whats biting him i said there wasnt a cure for malaria and he just came at me saying "do u think u know more about malaria than we do because u're in america angry" and i was like wtf?
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 7:54am On Jul 25, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

There is no cure for malaria.
There are herbs and medication that you can take to prevent malaria
There are herbs and medications that you can take if you have malaria
but there are no herbs and medications that when taken give you complete immunity
im a wrong

IMO, yes, you are wrong. just because nothing will give you complete immunity from malaria doesnt mean that it can't be cured. it just means that you can get malaria multiple times and it can be cured each time (if you do your treatment right)

when something has no cure, it can only be managed and the signs and symptoms repressed. malaria has a cure because once you finish your course of treatment, there is no more plasmodium in your blood (as verified by a blood test). you are not managing anything and you are not suppressing anything.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:57am On Jul 25, 2006
If a cure is just ridding the body of the virus
then this would mean that there is a cure for AIDS
Since there are patients who have undergone treatment and fully recovered??
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 8:00am On Jul 25, 2006
gigette but my biology and my socials teacher keep on telling me there isnt undecided am confused maybe u should be teaching my class lol
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:05am On Jul 25, 2006
malaria isnt caused by a virus, so what are you trying to say here?

remember a cure means different things for different diseases. just like in a cancer, a cancer is fully cured when all cancerous cells and tumors are completely excised from the body, we dont usually get this, so we say the cancer has gone into remission, the cancer is still there but its not causing havoc

in the case with HIV/AIDS, if you could expunge all the virus from your body, you would no longer be infected with HIV. but you could still have AIDS, because perhaps by then, your immune system is completely gone and i dont know if you can bring it back. this is why we say there is no cure for HIV or AIDS. the infection and its manifestion AIDS can only be managed and the syptoms supressed to give the person a normal quality of life.

by the way who are the patients that have undergone treatment and fully recovered? treated for what? fully recovered from what?
their T4 cells may have gone up and they may living a normal life but they still got the virus
a few ppl may have had the virus disappear altogther but it still isnt a cure, cos such ocurrences have to be the majority for one to say HIV/AIDS have a cure.

its just like saying someone is cured of genital herpes cos they dont get outbreaks, obviously this aint true
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:08am On Jul 25, 2006
lol they must be crazed!
a lot of doctors in the US and Canada dont even know how to diagnose malaria. if they do find out u've got it, ur quarantined as if you can catch thru the air.

perhaps a cure for them means something different. but look online, the literature supports me

just because present cures dont confer immunity to future cases doesnt mean they arent cures. true we have things like recurrent malaria like if you get malaria today adn then two weeks later or sumn, but that is totally separate from isolated cases in the same individual
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by shawna(f): 8:10am On Jul 25, 2006
thanks for the explanation grin yeah my teachers are kinda wierd cheesy
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:16am On Jul 25, 2006
Sorry parasite my bad.
So the cure of malaria is actually just treating that isolated case
And there is no way to totally immune the humane body from such reoccurances?
Correct?
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:18am On Jul 25, 2006
as far as i know yes.

i don't believe the drugs were designed to confer immunity. your body does build up an immunity to it gradually but i guess thats from dealing with the same sh*t over and over again.

that's why work is being done on a malaria vaccine

now there is stuff that is supposed to prevent u from getting malaria. not sure how they work tho.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:19am On Jul 25, 2006
@shawna

ur welcome
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:21am On Jul 25, 2006
Ok thanks
I knwo the stuff you are talking about
My Uncle took in February when he went to Nigeria.
Thanks Again for the enlightenment
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by gigitte(f): 8:25am On Jul 25, 2006
ur welcome kiss
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:29am On Jul 25, 2006
ooo and a kiss grin grin Right back at ya kiss kiss two fo you cause of your insight
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by grafikdon: 12:35pm On Jul 25, 2006
I seriously laugh off my ass when people lose thier head over malaria. Is it the same Naija malaria that we are talking about here? Malaria in Naija is like fever and common cold. No big deal and it has a lot of effective remedies herbal and otherwise. Back in Naija at least in my neighbourhood ain't nobody scared stiff over malaria. It is more like 'yeah whatever' ailment that disappears in minutes when you drink the appropriate herbal remedy.

I think oyinbo is adding too much salt, ogbono and okporoko to this malaria bizness.
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by option4301(m): 1:41pm On Jul 25, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I seriously think you teacher is somewhat cracy
just make sure you deliver my message ok!
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by Badman888(m): 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2006
Fansidar, Amalar herbs drink all of them 4 9ja ur malaria go dissapear its just a big deal in the western world. It kills alot of people in mainly rural arears because they dont have avalabilty to the drugs all those biology yannings are just stories,
Re: A Cure For Malaria? by goodguy(m): 2:38pm On Jul 25, 2006
Who says there's no cure for malaria?

grafikdon, you're so so right.  I had malaria last week and I'm perfectly okay now, so what are these guys talking about?

@gigette, thanks for the thorough explanation jare.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Men Electrocuted While Working On Bank Building In Jos (graphic Photo) / How Some Private Hospitals Mistreat Patients / Doctors Trained For Free In Nigeria To Serve For 9 Years Before Leaving - Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.