Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

Igbos And The Business Gene - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos And The Business Gene (993 Views)

The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos And The Business Gene by Queenisha: 3:19pm On Sep 17, 2008
What is it about Igbos and buying and selling?

The strange thing is that out of all my siblings,I'm the only one that has no "trading gene".
I couldn't sell anything.
My brothers and sisters all sold things right from boarding school and by college,the boys were richer than their peers
They were barbers,photographers,selling anything from shirts to shoes to transporting livestock in pick up vans for slaughter on weekends and during the long strikes.
I had absolutely no interest in it.

Maybe I was switched at birth.
Both of my parents had regular jobs and are college educated but always bought and sold everything from bags of cement to bags of  Beans grin

share your own experience.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And The Business Gene by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2008
My mom sold chickens and eggs for a while. She stopped when she couldnt cope with kids, a full time job while trading at the same time. Most of the igbos my side are not so much into trading really. I only know of one cousin who does so.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And The Business Gene by Queenisha: 3:32pm On Sep 17, 2008
chickens and eggs,that one na normal business with my mom.
Then when the frozen chicken factories opened up,she became a wholesale buyer,supplying to little bukas and friends and my brothers were the delivery people.
One of my siblings even started his own chicken delivery business to compete with mom lol.
Mom even once reared pigs with her friend but thankfully they were stationed at her friends house.
She sold bedsheet and pillowslips
she sold pepper.
She told us she even sold salt with her mom during the Biafran war grin
Re: Igbos And The Business Gene by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 17, 2008
hehe, i and my brothers worked "hard" as egg delivery men for yrs. Balancing 8 crates of eggs on your head comes with practice . . .
My mom did do some petty trading during the war until she was captured by soldiers, she narrowly escaped by the skin of her teeth.
Mom tried starting a pharmacy at some point . . . but lets just say . . . it wasnt a very smart move grin
Re: Igbos And The Business Gene by omoge(f): 6:03pm On Sep 17, 2008
our mothers!! we will always remember them. it is hard to see our eastern women idle. wether na pepper they are good at it. they are hardworking. bless them cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Ile-ife: The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / The Beauty Of Wigs / Where Can I Get A Cross River Traditional Outfit Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.