Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech (14555 Views)

The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… / Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? / Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by DRANOEL(m): 7:31pm On Jul 08, 2006
Hey i want you all to read maj.orkar`s coup speech
www.dawodu.com/orkar.htm

was he right or what?
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by mrmayor(m): 7:52pm On Jul 08, 2006
Good Question,was he right?

Gideon Orkar was right in almost areas of his speech,the cabal he spoke about still have Nigeria and Nigerians in a strangle hold,the irony is those who crushed the coup came from the South and the Middle belt.
The coup would  have been successful but for his early exercising of the Core North from Nigeria
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by babadee(m): 7:57pm On Jul 08, 2006
i think Major Orkar was hasty and misguided in his excision of the north because that was IBB's rallying call that crushed the coup, though he was right about the overall situation of the country at that time, he made the mistake of making it look like 1967/67 all over again by bringing in ethnicity. he should have taken a cue from Murtala who came to power on the pedestal of good governance and not ethnicity.

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by DRANOEL(m): 8:01pm On Jul 08, 2006
sometimes going straight to the point makes the difference
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by lewa(m): 1:25am On Jul 09, 2006
Ifeajuna,Nzeogwu,Jasper Adaka Boro,Adekunle Fajuyi,
Murtala M ohammed,Mamman Vasta,Martin Luther(greatest nigerian pilot)
Gideon Orkar, MKO,,ken Saro Wiwa and others who for one reason or the other i have not mentioned
THANK YOU,
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by sbucareer(f): 3:14am On Jul 09, 2006

May his soul rest in peace. May God almighty forgive him all of his sins and give him everlasting rest. I never knew that Major Gideon Orkar had a focal view for Nigerians during the COUP D'ETAT in 1990.

I remembered then, because we had to leave school, and travelled back to the village. This is the first time I am reading his speech. He saw the vision that I am seeing now, he wanted to correct Nigeria but Nigeria killed him.

After 16 years, what he wanted to fight for still curse us today.  All Nigerians are cold prik including me. We can never progress untill we all stand up and fight for our country, for us and our children and our un-born children.

Like Gideon said, we need to excise some people from the face of the earth for Nigeria to move on. We need law and order, strategic thinkers, good political structure and give power to the press.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by DRANOEL(m): 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2006
cutting out part of the country aint the best,though we really need to sit and talk

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Chxta(m): 7:33pm On Jul 10, 2006
Exactly
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by asha80(m): 10:20pm On Dec 29, 2009
Maybe Orkar saw something we have refused to see.

1 Like

Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Choco5: 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2009
20 years old story?
Is the man not dead?
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Lagosboy: 12:22am On Dec 30, 2009
Orkar remains a hero and i really admire the dude as i can never forget listening to that speech on radio Nigeria that fateul morning. I just think the huge mistake was annocing his intention straight away. Cutting out some states wasnt a wise thing to do and he made the coup sond like a ethnic or regional agenda. A true revolutionhas to be devoid of tribal or regional sentiments for it to succeed.

Orkar your memory remains in our hearts, he was a corageous man indeed, defiant to the last minute and died with courage. Not like General Diya who started to weep ocean of tears when caught pants down.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by edoyad(m): 12:37am On Dec 30, 2009
^ Diya wasn't weeping, sand entered his eyes. grin
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by edoyad(m): 11:32pm On Apr 18, 2010
lewa:

Gideon Orkar, MKO,,ken Saro Wiwa and others who for one reason or the other i have not mentioned
THANK YOU,

We need one more name added that list, the one to execute members of the so called cabal once and for all.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by EzeUche3(m): 3:03pm On Apr 26, 2011
The ghost of Gideon Orkar continues to speak to us.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Dave6: 3:47pm On Apr 26, 2011
Many Nigerians have paid dearly for the truncation of Gideon Orkar's Vision.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Dave6: 3:50pm On Apr 26, 2011
. . . But we'll still get there!
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by karlmax2: 3:54pm On Apr 26, 2011
Quote from gideon orkar “Our history is replete with numerous and uncontrollable instances of callous and insensitive dominatory repressive intrigues by those who think it is their birthright to dominate till eternity the political and economic privileges of this great country to the exclusion of the people of the Middle Belt and the south.
 They have almost succeeded in subjugating the Middle Belt and making them voiceless and now extending same to the south”,

The hausa fulani race would neva take us for a ride again, the middle belt and the south are uniting to save our country to be destroyed by this race, Can you tell me any country that they rule that is progressing is it sudan,niger or chad?
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by EzeUche3(m): 3:55pm On Apr 26, 2011
karl max:

Quote from gideon orkar “Our history is replete with numerous and uncontrollable instances of callous and insensitive dominatory repressive intrigues by those who think it is their birthright to dominate till eternity the political and economic privileges of this great country to the exclusion of the people of the Middle Belt and the south.
 They have almost succeeded in subjugating the Middle Belt and making them voiceless and now extending same to the south”,

The hausa fulani race would neva take us for a ride again, the middle belt and the south are uniting to save our country to be destroyed by this race,  Can you tell me any country that they rule that is progressing is it sudan,niger or chad?

He was right. And before him Ojukwu. . . 

If only Orkar had succeeded.

Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Nobody: 8:38pm On Apr 26, 2011
Gideon orkah will forever be implanted in our minds as a great hero of Nigeria, the middle belt and the south remains united as one!
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by bkbabe97y(m): 8:57pm On Apr 26, 2011
lewa:

THANK YOU,

For Pete's sakes, kindly strike Ifeajuna's name from that list. He was a murderous bigot and a tribalist! Know what? I'll do the honors. . . . .

Ahhhhhh, there we go!

Now, who the hell's the mo*ron that threw the name of the greedy, slimy, short sighted Ojukwu into this picture?

Sure, it just had to be NL's numero uno King of All tribalists!
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by bamosagie(m): 9:18pm On Apr 26, 2011
someone forgot Ben Ekele!
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Thatdave(m): 9:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
the one second to the extreme right was my direct uncle. i was one year old when he died. the last day my mum saw him b4 the coup. my mum was carrying me . sitting in front of our wide compound while he was showing my mum what a military parade looks like. he marched from one part of the compound to another commanding in visible troops. he was the commander of the amoured division during the coup. they were killed 24 days latter. he smuggled a letter while in custody. one of the lines read 'we have failed but our mission will not fail' RIP big bro.
EzeUche__:

He was right. And before him Ojukwu. . . 

If only Orkar had succeeded.

Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Pharoh: 4:16am On Apr 30, 2011
We really need to sit down and solve our problems.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by edoyad(m): 6:14am On Apr 30, 2011
Thatdave:

the one second to the extreme right was my direct uncle. i was one year old when he died. the last day my mum saw him b4 the coup. my mum was carrying me . sitting in front of our wide compound while he was showing my mum what a military parade looks like. he marched from one part of the compound to another commanding in visible troops. he was the commander of the amoured division during the coup. they were killed 24 days latter. he smuggled a letter while in custody. one of the lines read 'we have failed but our mission will not fail' RIP big bro.
Wow ! He really said that ? We are waiting .
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 30, 2011
I am suggesting that we set up a panel of enquiry into what led to the forceful amalgamation of the Jihardist and the "condemned infidels". The sonner we understand that oil and water cannot mix, the better for all of us.
Re: Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 30, 2011
On Major Okar:

His intentions were noble, but most soldiers are narrow minded by training and lifestyle. Evidence is Buhari who thinks that elections are won by emotions alone.

(1) (Reply)

Last Victim Of Malaysia Bus-Crash Is A Nigerian Student / List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Of Origin / Evil People And Ghosts Polluted My Office – Lagos PDP Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.