Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. (7636 Views)

Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? / The Niger Delta And The Orkar Coup: By Capt Tolofari / Major Gideon Orkar`s Coup Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. by ogaemma: 9:55am On Apr 22, 2011
Today in History: April 22, 1990. 21 years after, Major Gideon Gwaza Orkar staged a coup against General Ibrahim Babangida.Because the coup failed, Orkar became a 'traitor' while his captors became 'heroes'.After much study of the Orkar's coup speech, I now understand why Orkar wanted to crash this country called Nigeria. But was Orkar right or wrong? What if Gideon Orkar's coup has succeeded,will Nigeria be more defined and refined than what it is today?

For the APRIL 1990 COUP D'ETAT SPEECH
http://www.dawodu.com/orkar.htm

Re: Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. by KnowAll(m): 10:53am On Apr 22, 2011
mm
Re: Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. by KnowAll(m): 10:55am On Apr 22, 2011
The coup re-drew the political map of Northern Nigeria. The coup allowed the Middle Belt to gain Political Independence and they would exercise this freedom to the dismay of Sokoto,  Kano Caliphate and Borno Caliphates. All though IBB killed the body of these men their souls are well entrenched in the psyche of every Middle Belter. That is one vision ilks like IBB and his northern co-conspirators can never kill.  cool
Re: Today In History: Major Gideon Orkar's Coup. 21 Years After. by johnie: 11:08am On Apr 22, 2011
Hmm.

I remember the fear and trembling that siezed a cousin of mine who lived at the SSS quarters behind FRCN and Dodan Barracks those days.

One of the mistakes Orkar and co made Was announcing the excision of some states from the country.

Interestingly, Great Ogboru who was accused of financing the coup is major political actor in Delta state today. I am yet to hear his own side of the story.

Why Orkar and co really struck is a mystery to me because I normally believe that coups go beyond the reasons given in those 'fellow countrymen' speeches.

For instance, we have heard that the reason the military struck in 1983 was to avoid Buhari being tried and that the reason for the 1985 coup was to save MKO from Buhari, etc.

So why did Ogboru finance the Orkar coup?

P.s. I have nothing againt Ogboru or his ambition to be governor.

(1) (Reply)

FCT Budgets N5bn For LovePeddlers, Destitutes / Atiku Donates N75M For The Eradication Of Polio / Buhari Removes Fg Workers Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.