Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,046 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Chuck Hagel- Palin Is Unready For The Vp Position - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Chuck Hagel- Palin Is Unready For The Vp Position (944 Views)

Chuck Hagel Confirmed By Senate As Obama's Secretary Of Defense / Sarah Palin Is A Mistake / Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chuck Hagel- Palin Is Unready For The Vp Position by bawomolo(m): 6:13pm On Sep 19, 2008
Senior Republican Senator Chuck Hagel has voiced doubts about Sarah Palin's qualifications for the vice-presidency.

John McCain's running mate "doesn't have any foreign policy credentials", Mr Hagel told the Omaha World-Herald.

Mr Hagel was a prominent supporter of Mr McCain during his 2000 bid for the US presidency, but has declined to endorse either candidate this year.

He was opposed to the Iraq War, and recently joined Mr McCain's rival Barack Obama on a Middle East trip.

'Stop the nonsense'

"I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of the United States," Mr Hagel told the Omaha World-Herald newspaper.

And he was dismissive of the fact that Mrs Palin, the governor of Alaska, has made few trips abroad.

"You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

This kind of thing will have an effect on independents

BBC North America editor Justin Webb
Mr Hagel also criticised the McCain campaign for its suggestion that the proximity of Alaska to Russia gave Mrs Palin foreign policy experience.

"I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, 'I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia'," he said.

"That kind of thing is insulting to the American people."

BBC North America editor Justin Webb says Mr Hagel's opinion of Mrs Palin will have an effect on independent voters.

A senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Mr Hagel was a close ally of Mr McCain, but the two men parted company over the decision to go to war in Iraq.

Mr Hagel skipped this year's Republican National Convention in favour of a visit to Latin America.

Mr Hagel's decision to accompany Mr Obama this summer on a trip to Iraq and Israel, as part of a US Congressional delegation, led to speculation that he would throw his support behind the Democratic nominee.

However, a spokesman for the Nebraska senator insisted in August that "Senator Hagel has no intention of getting involved in any of the campaigns and is not planning to endorse either candidate".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/7623771.stm
Re: Chuck Hagel- Palin Is Unready For The Vp Position by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Sep 19, 2008
According to him, the only reason why she does not qualify is because of her lacking in the foreign policy department?

http://www.law.emory.edu/index.php?id=3080

we should look at the duties of the Vice President.

Section 1

Article I: The Legislative Branch

Clause 6:

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office,10 the Same shall devolve on the Vice President,

Section 2:

Clause 4:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

Re: Chuck Hagel- Palin Is Unready For The Vp Position by RichyBlacK(m): 6:44pm On Sep 19, 2008
Chuck Hagel is among the shrinking number of Republicans with a brain-filled as opposed to the more popular eba-filled craniums among most Republicans!
Re: Chuck Hagel- Palin Is Unready For The Vp Position by darfur(m): 6:06pm On Sep 20, 2008
Kobojunkie:

According to him, the only reason why she does not qualify is because of her lacking in the foreign policy department?

i guess she is better prepared than mccain who doesnt know that spain is america's friend,
and that spain is in europe,
and that spain is in NATO,
and that cseckoslovakia is no more,
or the diff between shia and sunni,
or german president putin

oh sorry,i forgot, mccain is prepared for foreign policy, i forgot, he is running against obama. anything running against obama is good.
yes.

(1) (Reply)

Nizar Rayyan: It Wasnt About "illegal Occupation" Afterall! / South Africa Police Investigate intimacy Link To Terreblanche Killing / Mubarak Resigns, Hands Power To Military (ap)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.