Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? (11544 Views)

Baba Idris Is Dead (Nasarawa United FC Player) / Akwa Ibom State Gov. Throws Massive Party To Celebrate Akwa United FC Victory / Manchester United FC Is Going Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by IBEXY(m): 2:43pm On Sep 26, 2008
who is this spammer angry
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Fuup(m): 6:00pm On Sep 26, 2008
When do Nigerians put money into something if we not going to make profit out of it in the nearesr future,
Maybe its me but this have disaster written all over it!!!

When they want to bailout like mike ashley, how much will they be asking for from buyers?600million pounds?
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by ewealths(m): 6:27pm On Sep 26, 2008
A special football agent, John Shittu says the club is only good to be sold at 150 million pounds, I think this Nigerians should think very well and not allow pride or sentiment or their emotion to override their sense of judgment. All the best they should keep the green, white, green, flag flying high as they act on enough info as to this sales of Newcastle.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by martin007(m): 8:36pm On Sep 26, 2008
There is always new development to this story everyday, i wonder when the countdown to the buy over will be?

Nigerians prepare Newcastle offer
Mike Ashley
Ashley has pumped £250m of his fortune into Newcastle

The Nigerian businessmen interested in taking over at Newcastle say they are finalising their bid to buy the club.

The consortium is reported to have a £350m takeover fund to buy the Magpies from owner Mike Ashley, but they may need another £100m to secure the deal.

"We're at the stage where we are doing the security checks on the individuals who have the money," said London-based businessman Chris Nathaniel.

He also said they would be keen to welcome back former boss Kevin Keegan.

"Kevin's a legend on Tyneside and I think anybody looking to buy that football club would not be very smart if they didn't have Kevin involved in some capacity, that's if Kevin wants to come back," added Nathaniel.

"If I was advising anyone that was buying the club I would certainly suggest Kevin would be the right man for the job."

Keegan left his second spell as manager on Tyneside on 4 September, only eight months after returning to St James' Park.

His relationship with Ashley deteriorated rapidly and his exit caused fury among Magpies' fans, who demanded the owner sell the club.

Toon takeover serious - Nathaniel

Ashley has since put Newcastle up for sale, saying he is unable to watch the team due to fears over his family's safety.

Nathaniel, one of whose parents is Nigerian, runs football and entertainment consultancy NVA Management and he is the frontman for the bid.

The four entrepreneurs involved have requested anonymity until the deal goes through.

"They're used to whatever they go for they get, and they don't want to be seen as failing in their country if they don't manage to secure this deal," said Nathaniel.

Newcastle have appointed investment bank Seymour Pierce to handle the sale.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by martin007(m): 8:44pm On Sep 26, 2008
These are some of the comments as regards to this topic that were posted on BBC-606:

comment by TO_MUfan (U7022674)

posted 6 Hours Ago

Dear Mr Ashley,

From your profile I believe in me that you ought to be a very good and honest person, I would like to give you a brief description of my life. I am Larry Sule, a director with the Power and Steel Department (PSD)and the Secretary of the Contract Award and Monitoring Committee (CAMC) of the PSD. I and my brother Jerry Sule are the only children of late, CHIEF DR.KEVIN SULE a cocoa and gold well known businessman, It is sad to say that he passed away mysteriously in France during one of his business trips on 25th.SEP 2005 with our mother MRS.VICTORIA SULE.
The reason for this proposal is that your help is required in order to facilitate and successfully complete a profitable venture that is of immense benefit to you, and us the originators within a stipulated time frame. I know that the sudden death of our late parents was been masterminded by one of my uncle because he has taking everything that belongs to my father and wanted to kill me and my brother before the lawyer to my late father called me and asked me to leave the country immediately to abidjan cote d'ivoire where my late father deposited the sum of (twenty million two hundred thousand united states dollars) us$400,200,000.00 in a bank and also gave me all the documents to the deposit of the money and also his will I am contacting you with the mind of GOD that you will help us transfer this money into your account in your country so that me and my only brother will come over to meet you in your country for our future, because of the political problems here in this country.
The money in question is ready for transfer into an overseas account which we expect you to provide. We have agreed that the money will be shared according to the ratio stated below;
a) 15% of the money will go to you for acting as the beneficiary of the fund.
b) 85% to us originators (which if possible we may enter into a partnership with
you).

We will require from you:
a) Name and address of Company/ Beneficiary. (MIKE ASHLEY @ NEWCASTLE UTD)
b) Details of the account which you are the only signatory that the money will
be transferred into.

The above requirements is to initiate and faclitate the transfer of the money. Be informed that the reason we are sending you this letter is because we know that the only way to succeed is to seek the help of a foreigner. Your professional status is not a matter of hindrance in this transaction. Please, your assistance is highly solicited.

We have no doubts at all that this money will be released and transferred if we
get the necessary foreign partner to assist us in this deal. Therefore, when the business is successfully concluded we shall through the same connections withdraw all documents used from all the concerned government ministries for 100% security. All expenses regarding the opening of an account if not already in existence shall be borne by you, all expenses are however reimbursable on the conclusion of this business transaction. It is of high hope that you will consider this humble request and respond positively.

If you are still in doubt after the receipt of this letter please do not hesitate to contact and ask any question(s)that may hinder your decision on this matter.

Please an acknowledgement of the receipt of this letter will be appreciated. For more details on this transaction you can call me on my mobile telephone number +234-803-305-2148 or office number +234 1 776 7824. The Telephone line may be busy, please keep on trying till you get through. While awaiting your early response, thank you in anticipation of your most valued assistance.

YOURS FAITHFULLY
MR LARRY SULE

P.S. PLEASE TREAT AS URGENT AND CONFIDENTIAL

grin, i just merged 2 scam letters i got and edited in some details biggrin But i wonder if this is where the moneys coming from ?  cry

comment by yormeeykaz (U11612876)

posted 5 Hours Ago

All you all bashing the Nigerians trying to bail out the club, why don't you go and buy the club yourselves.

I detest scammers and I cant tell you how much I hate them. Having said that, Nigeria's population is over 140 million only few of this people are the ones sending dubious messages to people, and not even all of them are nigeria. Moreover, when it comes to scamming and frauding, it doesnt end or start with nigeria, there are dubious traders i.e rogue traders,scammers and fraudsters in all part of the world, UK inclusive.

These guys are just trying to do business and make something for themselves and make their country proud, all they're getting from some of you inconsiderate elements on here is abuse.

I bet if it was to send aides to Africa, all of you will be up for it. These businessmen are reputable individuals who love football and I bet they mean good for Newcastle United. They deserve encouragement, support and appreciation for their afforts!!!

comment by realreplikah (U5993323)

posted 7 Hours Ago

Guys, Guys, Guys

Are you not a little worried that the Nigerian Consortium are "sourcing for money" just to buy the Club? Is this how they wil be "sourcing for money" when we need to buy a good defender, or will we be "sourcing for money" when Owen wants to increase his wages to match the country's top striker, even though I'm a better striker than him?

Beware of Money "Sourcers". If i have to source for money to buy a car, how in the world will i be able to afford maintaining the car?
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Mustay(m): 8:26am On Sep 28, 2008
ONE of Nigeria’s wealthiest entrepreneurs, Mike Adenuga Jnr, together with three others is said to be in a consortium of Nigerians lining up a bid for Newcastle United, an announcement is expected later today.

Mike Adenuga Jnr, who owns 100% of Globacom and has interests in real estate, the Equatorial Trust Bank and Conoil. Globacom serves 18-million subscribers, making it Nigeria’s largest operator after MTN. It also runs networks in Benin and Ghana.
“Mike is a businessman and loves soccer. He is already sponsoring the Nigerian league and it’s not unusual for him to have an interest in a team like Newcastle,” said a source from London

When pressed by the reporter to confirm whether the other partners are in the telecoms industry as well, the source said, “Let’s wait for the official announcement.”

Journal Live reported today that football agent Chris Nathaniel, of NVA Management, is fronting the consortium of businessmen from the West African country.
“We’re at the stage now where our end are doing the relevant security checks on the individuals who have the money,” Nathaniel, who is coordinating the bid, said. “We have a lawyer here who is doing those checks before finally submitting a bid to Newcastle.”

Nigerian media reports have said the consortium - whose members remain a closely guarded secret - have come up with 350 million pounds so far but want to find an additional 100-150 million to secure the deal.

Newcastle United have fallen foul of the fans after Keegan resigned saying he did not have full control over the buying and selling of players, Reuters said.
Nathaniel said that until the British lawyers had finalised their checks and drawn up the paperwork, it was difficult to say exactly how much money had been put forward. “We don’t know is the honest answer. We’re not going to know that until it’s lodged with the lawyers here,” he said.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by sosodat: 3:52pm On Sep 28, 2008
I think one of the key member of the Nigerian Consortium is Mike Adenuga. Cant really say much cos am still wondering the reasons behind this kind of investment from Naija. Just hoping things work out well and they dont drag Naija's name further down
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Stealthy(m): 4:33pm On Sep 28, 2008
Looking at the repies above, it's very obvious that many nairalanders arent aware of the enormous biz potentials in Nigeria. How can buying Newcastle FC make more sense than investing in naija? Newcastle will not make money for the foreseeable future, so this is not an investment, only a status symbol or effizy as we know it. Buying Newcastle is certainly not a money making venture.

That said, how can u guys be saying it's smarter to invest in UK than Nigeria? Do u know whats happening at all? See BiCourney, the guys given the MMA2 concession. Those guys are cleaning out! How bout the guys doing the Lekki expressway expansion? How bout the construction companies (JBN, etc)? There's a lot of money to be made in naija & with 350m GBP, u can do a lot. U think Etisalat are in naija for charity? or the myriad chinese companies coming into construction, oil & gas, etc? How bout the companies that so wanted to buy Nigerian banks that CBN had to make a new rule? Companies are queuing up to invest in naija & u guys are there saying Nigeria is not a good place to invest. Crap!

If these guys wanted to invest & make money, surely there're lots of opportunities here, without going to buy up Newcastle. Even the Glo premier league, is a better piece of investment. think of it: if u invest 10% of this money (ie 35m GBP) in 1 local club eg Enyimba, u can upgrade the stadium significantly (or even build a new 20-30k seater), improve salaries significantly, spend money on advertising & promoting the club, etc. Whichever club it is will surely qualify for ACL & possibly win it several times. It will go a long way to improve d league & b4 u know wats happening, more pple will be buying up more of the clubs, imcreasing competition & improving the quality. Even Nigerian players in lower leagues in Europe may begin to return home (same way Engrs, bankers, etc are returning home to jobs paying more than u can get in Europe, US).

To make matters worse, this makes Nigerians look very foolish generally: a 3rd world country that can hardly feed its pple, yet its millionaires spend fortunes buying a mid-table Premiership club as a play thing.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by eldee(m): 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2008
Eight words!!!

Emirates Stadium makes two million pounds every matchday
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Stealthy(m): 11:52pm On Sep 28, 2008
eldee:

Eight words!!!

Revenue or profit? Football clubs are generally not profitable, especially in England, with the astronomical wages, Arsenal is one of the few profitable ones though (and even they just returned to profitabilitily recently). Chelsea bleeds money & ManU is probably the most indebted major club around.

I think Bayern Munich is the most profitable major club (not the richest, but makes highest margins)
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by royalyinx(m): 2:21am On Sep 29, 2008
@Frenchman,

Your just too dull, Think deeply huh!
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by bawomolo(m): 4:49am On Sep 29, 2008
Eight words!!!

dude, u do realize loans have to be acquired to build stadiums right. there are operating costs associated with running a club
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by IBEXY(m): 11:22am On Sep 29, 2008
bawomolo:

dude, u do realize loans have to be acquired to build stadiums right. there are operating costs associated with running a club
They still made £36.7 million pre-tax profit in the year ended May 2008. Football is lucrative especially if you have a manager interested only in discovering young talents, buy them cheaply and sell years later for cut throat prices. The Arsenal management is happy with Arsene Wenger wether he gets a cup or not. He definitely understand corporate business. http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/plus

The latest news about Newcastle is that a rival South African consortium bid £350m for the club. The Nigerian buyers have a strong contender in their hands.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Dexter2: 3:07pm On Sep 29, 2008
cool I think the consortium should offer arsenal GBP 50 mils to buy the club, b4 it starts wading in relegation waters.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by vicade(m): 3:12pm On Sep 29, 2008
Dexter2:

cool I think the consortium should offer arsenal[b] GBP 50 mils [/b]to buy the club,  before it starts wading in[b] relegation waters.[/b]

Are you stupid or sarcastic or both  
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by RSA(m): 5:29pm On Sep 29, 2008
South Africa is building 5 new stadiums ,all with a capacity of over 45 000 and upgrading 5 existing one for GBP 600 million.And Nigerians want to pay 400 million for one team? Just asking shocked
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by superstan(m): 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2008
eldee:

Eight words!!!

make that three million pounds every matchday excluding revenue generated on their restaurants and matchday programmes.

man united make three million pounds every matchday too as fans turn out to watch galaxy of players kick the ball every matchday.

bayern munich compared to man united on profits? someone must be smoking lah.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Stealthy(m): 11:56pm On Sep 29, 2008
superstan:

make that three million pounds every matchday excluding revenue generated on their restaurants and matchday programmes.

man united make three million pounds every matchday too as fans turn out to watch galaxy of players kick the ball every matchday.

bayern munich compared to man united on profits? someone must be smoking lah.
U're obviously ignorant of football biz. First, I said Bayern Munich is one of the most profitable clubs in terms of margins (ie profit as a percentage of turnover). MANU IS IN DEBTS BY THE WAY: the Glazers borrowed heavily to finance their purchase of the club, so even though ManU has the 2nd highest revenues (after Real Madrid), the club is nowhere near as profitable as Madrid or Bayern or Arsenal. Chelsea also makes lots of revenues, but is also heavily indebted. U need to go & learn the diff btwn revenues & profits dude!
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by stanloski(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2008
@ stealthy
God bless u 450 million tymes ma broda! lots of pple cant tell diff bw profits and revenue! I dont see how these guys will make money! NUFC cant qualify for europe, (forget champions league, am talking uefa cup) so revenue growth is not so big. 450 million is cost of purchase. that team needs serious transfers to beef it up that will take another 100-200 milla lets not talk about the salaries of the players that will come over-u cant buy a player for 20 milla and pay him less than 70k or more per week.

Thats by the way, the moni will do better here, 450milla pounds will open about 5 banks or one gigantic telecoms company and create thousands of jobs.
those who are "proud" of these misguided clowns are part of the Nigerian tragedy, misplaced priorities! angry
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by RSA(m): 12:24pm On Sep 30, 2008
SA group lead race for Newcastle’
Posted: 2008-09-30 12:36

The consortium of South African businessmen who have put in a bid for English Premiership side Newcastle United are now being considered as leading contenders in the deal.

According to the London’s Independent online, Chris Mort, the former chairman of Newcastle United and one of the key deal clinchers in the business empire of their owner, Mike Ashley, was expected in Tyneside late last night in a development that suggests major movement on the sale of the club is under way.

Yesterday a spokesman for the Nigerian consortium interested in buying Newcastle said that a formal offer had been lodged last Friday, but the paper intimates that the South Africans, who are based in London are the front-runners.

The consortium that has yet to be identified has been reported as saying that they want to speak to the recently departed manager Kevin Keegan about returning to the role.

Speculation about identities of the South African backers is running rife. Some believe that London-based Johann Rupert of the Richemont company, who is the son of the late South African billionaire Anton Rupert, may likely fit the bill.

Another possibility being put forward is BidVest executive chairman Brian Joffe.

Within Ashley’s circle it is being said that there are five potential bidders and that two or three have the money deemed necessary.

Ashley bought the club for £134-million and says he has spent a further £110-million to address the inherited debt.

As well as the African suitors, it is understood that the bank Ashley has commissioned to sell Newcastle, Seymour Pierce, has received interest from credible sources in America and China.

Mort’s presence in the region will be viewed as significant by fans. It is believed he has not to have been back at St James’ Park since leaving at the end of last season.

Mort is the only member of the Ashley regime to have impressed supporters. Crucially to Ashley, Mort knows the financial detail at St James’ as well as anyone.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Mpele(m): 3:17pm On Sep 30, 2008
These Nigerians don't even have sporting infrastructure, but they want to buy Newcastle United. A country of over 100 million people with one stadium (Abuja stadium). Why those so called businessmen use the money to build at least two stadiums. This is a shame.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by toluxa1(m): 4:52pm On Sep 30, 2008
I heard Adenuga and some other guys are the pople comprisng ofthe comsotium
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by plawson(m): 7:11pm On Sep 30, 2008
i am happy about this developement.
but if the deal comes true are Nigerians
going to support Chlesea, Arsnal, Man u, etc
OR will they simply support New Castle,
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Mustay(m): 9:42pm On Sep 30, 2008
From what natahiel said, it's a pity Nigerians are scared of the offer more than the english themselves.

to those who say there's no benefit arising from the offer, a perfect example is to look at AJAX FC of AMSTERDAM and AJAX FC of S. AFRICA.

The bidders are trying to do something like this whereby a Nigerian club will be a feeder team to NEwcastle thereby creating opportunities for Nigerian players (sign-up fees) and bringing in money to Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Thirdborn: 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2008
I read a lot of posts here , (not all) and i am surprised all of the people writing them just want to own this team, or be affiliated with the potential buyers of this team cos they are Nigerians. Did anybody even ask who these "Nigerians" are who want to buy Newcastle? What if they are ex-governors trying to spend looted funds, or drug barons, or, I am not ruling out the fact that they could be legitimate but why all the secrecy? Let them reveal their identities and let us know where this cash is coming from.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by bawomolo(m): 3:15am On Oct 01, 2008
The bidders are trying to do something like this whereby a Nigerian club will be a feeder team to NEwcastle thereby creating opportunities for Nigerian players (sign-up fees) and bringing in money to Nigeria.

north african countries are able to breed most of their players domestically. clubs like zamalek, raja cassablanca and al-ahly are proof of this. west african leagues could rival them if they have more investment. it's insulting if nigerian clubs are supposed to be remain stuck as a feeder team to an european football club. these aren't some youth academies. why do nigerians seen income generation only as remittance from abroad. na wa o
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Mustay(m): 10:12am On Oct 01, 2008
It doesn't make a differnce.

if their identities are revealed if they are successful, what effect will that have on y'all?

bawomolo:

north african countries are able to breed most of their players domestically. clubs like zamalek, raja cassablanca and al-ahly are proof of this. west african leagues could rival them if they have more investment. it's insulting if nigerian clubs are supposed to be remain stuck as a feeder team to an european football club. these aren't some youth academies. why do nigerians seen income generation only as remittance from abroad. na wa o

They view this from a businness angle rather than a race line.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by KnowAll(m): 11:12am On Oct 01, 2008
The Nigerian Bid will fail, because the real guys bidding for Newcastle are ex politicains and they will fail the stringent English FA fit and proper test. How came someone wants to spend £350 million and yet they are faceless undecided undecided[size=14pt][/size]
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by SOJ(m): 1:16pm On Oct 01, 2008
its quite a shameful bid embarassed
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by bawomolo(m): 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2008
They view this from a businness angle rather than a race line.

no were in my post did i mention race. please explain how profitable this is from a business angle.  the nigerian football league once had a huge following until it was ruined. u mean it's impossible to create a profitable sports league in a country of 140 million people
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by cabali(m): 7:14pm On Oct 01, 2008
once they allow d nigerians to succeed, newcastle starts a free fall; that u can b sure of.
Re: Nigerians To Buy Newcastle United FC? by Mustay(m): 9:30pm On Oct 01, 2008
bam

e be like say u no sabi naija sports well well po

Who told you there are not enough businessmen willing to help the power sector?

We all know it's the system and not the aims.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Country Are You Going To Support In This World Cup 2022 / Port Harcourt To Host Super Eagles Vs Congo Match As Wike Hosts Pinnick & Rohr / Kylian Mbappe Wins Men's Player Of The Year At 2021 Globe Soccer Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.