Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,472 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Iphone Vs N95 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone Vs N95 (4409 Views)

Iphone VS Blackberry VS Andriod Users (hilarious Pic) / Android Vs Iphone Vs Windows (aka)no Lag.best Phone To Use / 3d Graphics Benchmarks: Iphone Vs N95 Vs P1i Vs Dell Axim X51v (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 8:26am On Sep 22, 2008
Okay am really tired of this apple fan boys.the n95 kills iphone in terms of functions.i just think iphone is over hyped.nairaland gurus what do u think. Pls no biased statements
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Gamine(f): 9:51am On Sep 22, 2008
Every man to his own.

Personally i wont trade my N95 for the iPhone here in Naija.

In the States, fer sure!
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by femzy(m): 12:10pm On Sep 22, 2008
But why did you open 1 2 3 4 threads because of this?
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 6:07pm On Sep 22, 2008
pc guru:

Okay am really tired of this apple fan boys.the n95 kills iphone in terms of functions.i just think iphone is over hyped.nairaland gurus what do u think. Please no biased statements

I use an iPhone, and while i can say that the hype may have gone overboard once in a while, in the right hands the iPhone can be a far better deal than the N95.

Coming from someone who's used an Ngage, a 6600 and a 6630, i'm tired of the standard Nokia Symbian OS. Resistance to change is what keeps Nigerians glued to their Nokia devices. And most certainly Apple can focus on their one and only handheld, while Nokia keeps churning out new devices.
Now the N96 is out, the N95 is yesterday's news to the people at Nokia.

But this is a games forum. Let the games do the talking! and as far as gaming is concerned, the iPhone's Appstore has the N95 Ngage store beat hands down.

Find someone who really knows how to get the best of their iPhone and start talking.

pc guru:

Okay am really tired of this apple fan boys.the n95 kills iphone in terms of functions

The iPhone has a far better music player. It's in fact the best iPod ever made. Bigger screen = bigger viewing pleasure.
24 hours of audio, 5 hours of Video. They don't come better than that.

Internet browsing - the iPhone's web browser is FAR FAR FAR better than the crapware on the N95. It's even vastly superior to any other alternative on the platform, including OPera Mobile.

As an ipod user, i appreciate the fact that i have an all-in-one device, and when i travel and am at the airports, i appreciate the browsing experience!

1 Like

Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2008
Here's the deal.
This is a games forum, so let the games on the N95 and the iPhone do the talking.

Ngage 2.0 vs Appstore!

Images from me tommorrow
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by ExInferis(m): 10:23am On Sep 23, 2008
Ngage 2.0 isnt that far advanced from the Ngage 1.0 of cursed memory. meanwhile the iphone in terms of gaming hardware is competing with PSP and nintendo DS.

the only thing n95 can carp about is GPS and 3G. (and a 5MP camera that isnt that better than iphones 2MP on a 160ppi screen).

well, iphone 3G put a stop to that with A-GPS and better mapping as well as HSDPA.

phone+internet device+ipod+gaming machine+GPS=kick-butt device.

and Apps! thousands of Apps (not counting Cydia and Installer) centrailized in one device.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by logica(m): 3:32pm On Sep 23, 2008
i guess i can just sit back n watch (read).
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 23, 2008
i didnt mean to open 2 forums am using my phone that must have caused the problems.also i was hoping someone would add that n95 has a 3dchip so does iphone. I actually meant to compare them as a console.thanx femzy.ngage failed because it was viewed as a gaming console with phone functions. But ngage 2.0 is more of a software for s60phones which i feel will beat iphone(prayer). Check out one whos next an ngage 2.0 game.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2008
pc guru:

i didnt mean to open 2 forums am using my phone that must have caused the problems.also i was hoping someone would add that n95 has a 3dchip so does iphone. I actually meant to compare them as a console.thanx femzy.ngage failed because it was viewed as a gaming console with phone functions. But ngage 2.0 is more of a software for s60phones which i feel will beat iphone(prayer). Check out one whos next an ngage 2.0 game.

the N95 is not the only Ngage 2.0phone. Most phones in the Ngage class do not have the 3d chip. as a result, most devs will not cater to the gamers with the 3d chips.
The N81 is Nokia's flagship gaming phone, and it doesn't have a 3D chip. hell, even the N96 doesn't have the chip too.

That said, amazing visuals can still be pumped out via software alone, so don't fret.

The thing is, the iPhone's Appstore has already eclipsed the Ngage store. Far more apps, easier to get into and with lots of free games too cheesy. Developers stand to make far more money on the Appstore than the Ngage platform, so expect all the quality franchises to head one way. . .
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 25, 2008

the N95 is not the only Ngage 2.0phone. Most phones in the Ngage class do not have the 3d chip. as a result, most devs will not cater to the gamers with the 3d chips.
The N81 is Nokia's flagship gaming phone, and it doesn't have a 3D chip. hell, even the N96 doesn't have the chip too.

i think Nokia itself just created an avenue for the Ngage platform to crash,system rush (accelerated) looks clear and runs at a fast frame30 fps.sometimes i really cant differentiate nokia and microsoft.why not create a game that uses both 3d and non-3d .if it detects a 3d card in the phone use and if not software rendering rather than two versions of the game.i was hoping square-enix would release something on ngage but the issue i have with the iphone is that i find it lacking functions for me,maybe the Appstore might be the void.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by segenzo: 10:45am On Sep 25, 2008
The Iphone can definately not be compared to the N95, I currently own both these phones and i have put both to max use.
Talking about the G.U.I (Graphic user interface) The Iphone outsmarts the N95 ratio 100:1, as far as i am concerned, its still the best phone on the market today, tho i must say that it must be in the right hands as a newbie might not know how to go about it i.e assigning ringtones, copying contacts to the phone memory e.t.c, but as always there is a way around all these. The quality of games as regards graphics is almost better than the psp and on par with the new PS3 (no exaggeration). On the other hand the Nokia platform has been too stagnant for a long time, i feel they need to come up with some new innovations,
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by ExInferis(m): 12:50pm On Sep 25, 2008
copying contacts is an absolute doodle on iphone. nothing is simpler than syncing.

as for sim contacts, iphone fimware 2.x has an option in Settings>General>mail, contacts>Import SIM Contacts.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2008
Graphic better than ps2 and u think n95,is not capable.for ur info. Imagination technology has the fastest opengles chip omap.guess the device that carries it.N95. Oh u didnt knw.if u wanna see graphics.download nokiaE3 Vid.iphone is fancy.appstore is good.but n95 is by far functional than iphone.naija apple fan boiz.pls gui is not a function.its only WOW.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by just1n(m): 5:13pm On Nov 13, 2008
Watchin d3m tight battle via my nokia 5700 (kparuf) fone . . . tongue
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 5:34pm On Nov 13, 2008
pc guru:

Graphic better than ps2 and u think n95,is not capable.for ur info. Imagination technology has the fastest opengles chip omap.guess the device that carries it.N95. Oh u didnt knw.if u want to see graphics.download nokiaE3 Vid.iphone is fancy.appstore is good.but n95 is by far functional than iphone.naija apple fan boiz.please gui is not a function.its only WOW.

Sorry to burst your bubble, little man, but the N95 and the iPhone both have the same Imagination Tech PoverVR MBX Graphics card. Add to that the fact that at 627 Mhz the iphone CPU is way faster than the N95's CPU and you have a superior gaming device.
The Appstore has now all but destroyed the N-gage store.

I have an N95 and an iPhone now. And believe me, the N95 is the less preferred device IMHO.

I'm curious, though. Don't you ever try anything apart from Symbian, or you're still drinking the Nokia Kool-aid?
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by samuelk(m): 5:36pm On Nov 13, 2008
Brainz
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 13, 2008
Underclocked to 499mhz.for d record they do not use d same chip though from same imagination tech.n95 uses omap2420(high end) and iphone uses powermbx lite 3d.no keypad oh.i guess on screen pad will be made or accelerometer, i give it to u,in terms of spec(hardware).iphone has the edge,except 3d.for ur info high processor has not much role 2 play than gpu.check apple score on opengles.check also for n95.in case u miss it should be at the TOP above iphone.iphone is good.i get but phone of the future pls.Appstore overshadows ngage,okay maybe.but will iphone fit in the gaming market.no way.except they make a joystick(Ipad).
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 13, 2008
I have used linux,palms,ppc,winmo and they all suck.configure wifi access point on ur Window Mo.very hard while nokia does IAP(internet access point) wit wifi with ease.also n95 uses dual cpu. Ngage around 2009(q2) rolling up opengl games.infact i will upload a 3d demo pix of opengl benchmark 4rm my n95.but it doesnt mean i wont acept iphone if am given
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 11:47am On Nov 14, 2008
@pc guru
Only shows how much you don't know. The omap2420 is a processor with the PowerVR GFX card embedded in it. Any demo you bring up will be a demo of the GPU and not of the specific phone, so i expect them to perform alike.
In CPU benchmarks the iPhone outmuscles the N95. And on the OpenGL ES benchmarks, the N95 gets slightly higher scores simply because it has a much smaller screen (and resolution) to render polygons to. Both are running the same GPU.
Dual Core CPU is just a red herring. The N95 can only bring 332 Mhz to bear on its tasks.

pc guru:

no keypad oh.i guess on screen pad will be made or accelerometer,
Have you actually tried to play an Ngage game on the N95?! Controls suck with the hardware keypad. Nokia only solved the clumsy control issue with phones like the N81 and N96

pc guru:

.iphone is good.i get but phone of the future please.Appstore overshadows ngage,okay maybe.but will iphone fit in the gaming market.no way.except they make a joystick(Ipad).

You haven't been following the news, have you? over 10 million downloads of games from the Apple Appstore. Wall Street Journal and Forbes have written articles calling the iPhone the new kid on the gaming block. Apple is targeting the Nintendo DS and the PSP with their new gaming oriented strategy. For you to claim that the iphone is making no headway in the gaming market shows you are far behind the curve.

Think outside the box. There are games that do not need joysticks to play. Try Asphalt 4 on the iPhone and see if you can go back to the Ngage version. try Spore, star wars etc. The touchscreen adds an extra layer of control that the Ngage store cannot match.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 11:48am On Nov 14, 2008
Now for some sobering news for you;
The N95 was one of the last Nokia phones to come with a GPU. The N96, N85, N81, N82 etc rely on software to render the Ngage games. As a result, most Ngage games will not be optimized to use the GPU, so expect iPhone games to emerge as graphically superior titles.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 6:35am On Nov 15, 2008
Yeah.omap 2420 is the chip and powerVr is the gfx card.you are right.but N82 has a gfx card.i just played Global race on my cousin's iphone and to my disappointment.it was good.except for the control.post some iphone games pix here.

Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 15, 2008
Oops wrong pix

Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 15, 2008
Not from net.actual shots from n95 or omap capable phones(n93,n93i,n95(8gb),n82,e90).

Re: Iphone Vs N95 by DualCore1: 3:17pm On Nov 15, 2008
Na fight? Hehe i'm out b4 tins get uglier.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by maxjax(m): 4:16pm On Nov 15, 2008
Dual Core:

Na fight? Hehe i'm out before tins get uglier.

Yes na!!! You n0 grab!!!

Iph0ne            Vs         N95
    |                                   |
    |                                   |
texazzpete     Vs       pc guru
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by texazzpete(m): 5:13pm On Nov 15, 2008
pc guru:

Not from net.actual shots from n95 or omap capable phones(n93,n93i,n95(8gb),n82,e90).

And all those are early to mid 2007 era phones. New Nokia phones do not have the GPU, not even the N96. And those screenshots are taken from a benchmark for the PowerVR GPU chip, so it serves for the iPhone too.

pc guru:

Yeah.omap 2420 is the chip and powerVr is the gfx card.you are right.but N82 has a gfx card.i just played Global race on my cousin's iphone and to my disappointment.it was good.except for the control.post some iphone games pix here.

Global race is pretty low on the graphics scale compared to what the iPhone can do. Some actual game screenshots below

Fastlane Street Racing

Xplane 9

Armado

real Football 2009

Asphalt 4

Need For Speed

Super Monkey Ball

[img]http://www.iphonemag.ch/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/super_monkey_ball.jpg[/img]

Rolando

1 Like

Re: Iphone Vs N95 by ExInferis(m): 6:22pm On Nov 15, 2008
@Tezz

wy do you even bother sef? refer him to Unity.

meanwhile, sad news; Apple finally got app-sharing site Monekys's Ball down. next stop, Appulo.us.

ive just tipped off Engadget.

meanwhile on unrelated news ive been chosen as one of the closed beta testers for Bumptop (www.bumptop.com). its been a while, last time was DeepFish for which i wrote a review.

yay!
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 16, 2008
Wow.i hate to admit,those are quality graphics,compared to ngage games.i now believe have been held to long to symbian.sorry can,t post more cuz apart from system rush demo and global race.no opengles games exist. Just like L vs Light in death note.u win.till ngage has 3d hardware games on shelf,nothing compares to those.this is where the threads ends.it was fun while it lasted. Texaspete
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 4:33am On Nov 16, 2008
a
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 4:33am On Nov 16, 2008
since ur iphone has higher resolutn of course a high cpu,and ram will be needed and also because of the powerful ui(core animation) and n95 a standard UI and d fact that symbian's built to handle and optimize small resources.not to add a QVGA resolution the cpu will suffice.
Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 4:49am On Nov 16, 2008
Thats an incomplete statement opera mini mod wönt post long words.

Re: Iphone Vs N95 by Nobody: 4:58am On Nov 16, 2008
The ngage sdk will be out ending of this year.which includes opengl hardware,accelerometer and touch similar to iphone sdk 4.till then bye. Going to see ex fernis's review on engadget

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Android Device Is Troubling With Guard Service, Time Service Monkey. Pls Help / WOW... Mtn Data Subscription....is Back / Dangers Of GB Whatsapp And Why You Should Stop Using It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.