Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,387 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup (39173 Views)

How To Make Owo Soup / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / Can Someone Teach Me How To Make Owo Soup And Also How To Make Ukhodo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2008
Got this recipe from a friend and I tried it on Saturday.

Starch (Usi) about half a big spoon (the spoon that u use to serve rice)
Garri
Akau (potash I think that's how the spell it)
Lime/ Lemon Juice
Native salt
Meat (this can be from cow foot to beef u can even add snail)
periwinkle (optional)
Smoked fish (that dark brown round fish)
palm oil
Maggi cubes
Rodo
one big cooking spoon of ground cray fish

everyone has their own way to cook this

*Wash your dry fish very well as there will be sand in this
Clean the Periwinkle with lime Juice

* With the blunt end of a knife, top and tail the periwinkles and wash thoroughly

*Boil your meat, add Maggi cubes and pepper (ie for a standard family lets say 5 about 3 cubes should do it, its up to u really use ur discretion)

*When your meat is almost cooked remove it from the stock and keep separately.

* Add water to the stock so it can be at least 3 quarters of the pot and let it heat up.

*Once it has heated add palm oil into the pot. Once the palm oil is in the pot pour garri into a plate add cold water to the garri and stir then pour into the pot always use the wooden spoon to stir (as if you are drinking garri with ground nut)

*Leave to cook for about 15-20mins

*After 15-20mins add crayfish

*Once you have washed the fish break the fish inside the pot and add your meat.

*If you are using periwinkle wash this and boil it separately with water for like 10mins when you are also boiling your meat

*Once this is done add it to the mixture

*Add Maggi to give taste

*pour Starch (Usi) into a deep plate with the native Salt (the colour of this salt is grey) and Akau (potash) and add water and mix into a light paste.

*Pour the paste into the pot and start to stir the soup like your life depends on it (not to fast or hard but not too slow to avoid lumps)

make sure that whilst you are doing this it is on low heat.

* You need to be careful because the Akau inside the pot of soup will start to foam so, at this stage its not about leaving the soup cos there is something on TV. You need to watch it all the time.

*Once you have poured the starch mixture inside the pot make sure you do not cover the soup as it will spoil

*leave for another 10-15mins and it should be done

***BUT MAKE SURE THAT WHEN IT IS DONE U DO NOT COVER SOUP.

*Once soup is finish eat it with yam or plantain or with Usi.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 12:44pm On Sep 22, 2008
AMAKA ONE THIS KIND OF FOOD CAN GIVE BELLE PROBLEM, ANY THATS FOR DELTANS I PREFER CALABAR SOUP.

AMAKA HOW ARE YOU DOING? I HAVE HOT READ FROM YOU FOR ALONG TIME. WHAT ABOUT THE MARRIAGE STUFF
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 12:48pm On Sep 22, 2008
@Phillip this one na delicay for Urhoboland I am told o!

Don't discard it till u try it.

Who dey marry and why am I not invited? angry

I have been trying out some killer Gele tying styles o!

I wan come do "madam de madam" at the wedding. grin
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 1:01pm On Sep 22, 2008
amaka what do you mean?, iam talking about marriage between you and i,pls dont break my heart i have amended it so many times
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 5:45pm On Sep 22, 2008
phillip001:

amaka what do you mean?, iam talking about marriage between you and i,please don't break my heart i have amended it so many times

No yawa, Just begin collecting the stuff for the dowry list below and we will talk  grin

MARRIAGE LIST

1. Ego maternity---------N1, 000.

2. Body cream; lux soap; big towel-------1 each

3. Ego ogo cherem---------N50, 000.

4. Yams-20; Eju (snails) -20; Okporoko (stockfish) -1; big tray-1

FOR IHE NGWA EFERE

1. YAMS---------------40PIECES

2. Okporoko (stockfish) -----2

3. Ukwu anu ewu (goat leg) ---------2

4. Morning rose powder-------24

5. Pomade-----------20

6. Sugar---------10packets

7. Ovaltine--------2big size

8. Bar soap--------1 carton

9. Tablet soap--------1 carton

10. Tin milk --------1 carton

11. Bread----------24 loaves

12. Salt-----------2 bags

13. Rice-------1bag

14. Tomatoes Tin--------1 carton

15. Red (palm) oil---------1 tin

16. Groundnut oil----------1 rubber

17. Kerosene------------1 tin

18. Maltina Drink---------2 cartons

19. Soft drink-------6 crates

20. Onions--------------40 bulbs

21. Ego ala abo (cash) ------N10, 000

22. Ego nfotu ite (cash) -------N1, 000.

23. Big basin----------2

24. Big umbrella-----2

25. Piece George--------2

26. Hollandis--------2

27. Blouse-------2

28. Head ties---------2

29. Wrist watch--------1

30. Shoes--------2pairs

31. Big Box--------1

32. Lamp-------1

33. Hand bag---------1

34. Nigerian wax-------1piece

35. Gold necklace and ear-ring-------1 piece

MARRIAGE LIST FOR UMUADA (ALL KINDRED DAUGHTERS)

SECTION A------SMALL WINE

1. 8 Kola nuts or cost price

2. 8 Gallons of palm wine or cash equivalent

3. 8 Heads of tobacco with potash

4. 1 Goat for umunna

5. 2 crates of minerals

6. 1 carton of maltina

7. 2 cartons of star beer

8. 1 carton of Guinness small stout

9. 8 packets of Benson and Hedges

10. 2 bottles of Ground snuff

11. Lump sum (ogwe ego) ---------N2,000

12. 2 bottles of seaman's schnapps (Millennium Brand)

SECTION B        NMANYA UKWU (BIG WINE)

1.16 Kola nuts or Cash equivalent

2.20 Gallons of palm wine or cash equivalent

3. 2 Crates of minerals

4. 2 Cartons of maltina

5. 2 cartons of Guinness small stout

6.10 cartons of star Beer

7. One roll of Benson and Hedges

8.12 Heads of Tobacco with potash

9. 4 Bottles of seaman's schnapps (millennium brand)

10. 4 Bottles of Ground Snuff

11. "Ego Ala Ezi"-----------N1, 500

12. Officers money -----------N1, 000

SECTION C   OPENING OF GATE

1. 32 Kola nuts or cost price (CP)

2.30 Gallons of palm wine or CP

3. 2 Crates of minerals

4. 2 cartons of maltina

5. 2 cartons of Guinness small stout

6. 10 crates of star beer

7. 2 rolls of Benson and Hedges

8. 32 Heads of tobacco with potash

9. 4 bottles of seaman's schnapps (millennium brand)

10. "Umunna Ahuna Ego"-------------N1, 500

11. Toasting of wine (Ncha kishi udu) -------------N1, 000

12. 1 bottle of seaman's schnapps + N500 for Onye Eze (village chief)

13. "Ego Umuama" ---------N1, 000

14. "Ogwe Ego" (Lump sum) --------N1, 500

15. "Ego mpatu Anya"(Jealousy money) ------N1, 200

16. "Ikpo Onu Aku Nwanyi" (BRIDE PRICE) --------? (negotiable)
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by omoge(f): 7:39pm On Sep 22, 2008
lol

i can see phil running 4 40 grin

that na small you give am. mine will be 3ice that list cheesy

abeg double that one Amaka, as long as you can cook wink when him start to dey chop, he go know say the 3ice of the list worth it.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by ifyalways(f): 12:31am On Sep 23, 2008
@Amaka lime/lemon is optional and what is rodo
Philip if you ever get lucky in your life to eat owo soup prepared by either an Urhobo or Isoko lady,u wont be caught ten poles near any other soup cool
owo soup is very easy to cook Yet so Delicious kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 8:06am On Sep 23, 2008
@Ify

The lime/ Lemon juice is for cleaning the periwinkle and not to be added to the soup.

Rodo = Ata rodo/ pepper/ Scotch Bonet

@ Phillip.

How far now?

The girls want to start hooking up the Aso Ebi grin grin
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by amyliajane(f): 2:24pm On Sep 23, 2008
Amaka u're really doing a good job, pls keep it up, this delicacy is actually from my place, u really tried
Ah philip no respond again, wetin happen shey na him wan marry
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2008
Jesus Christ !!!!!!! is this for one girl or what, this is a modernized way of saying NO .
Amaka your people are wicked.
Even if you are the only sister to the president,
No wonder many girls never marry if i finish paying all these things my in-laws will not get one kobo from me for life.
(amaka no vex )
Amaka do you believe in short cut?

Boys in the house pls help meoooooooo

Omoge you want to drive your suitors away,

Amyliajane::: I had to get to my check book first.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2008
phillip001:

Jesus Christ !!!!!!! is this for one girl or what, this is  a modernized way of  saying NO .
Amaka your people are wicked.
Even if you are the only sister to the president,
No wonder many girls never marry if i finish paying all these things my in-laws will not get one kobo from me for life.
(amaka no vex )
Amaka do you believe in short cut?

Boys in the house please help meoooooooo

Omoge   you want  to drive your suitors away,

Amyliajane::: I had to get to my check book first.

Check book ke? 

Ahn ahn, no mail order/credit brides in my village o!  grin

make u begin collecting the stuff osiso orthis mariage deal is off
surely u didn't think I would come cheap?

grin   grin   grin

Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 6:15pm On Sep 23, 2008
@ philip
Shey u sabi tie gele?

If our "presido"can do it, u can do it

Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by ifyalways(f): 4:15am On Sep 24, 2008
@amaka lol
i never really read tru your recipe.thanks for da clarification.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by akininNC(m): 4:35am On Sep 24, 2008
@ AMAKAONE

I am ready with the dowry, where should I tell my ebi to deliver the goods, they prefer paved roads so that we dont have to transport on donkey!!!! And unlike these useless Naija men, I am an accomplished chef so your days in the kitchen are numbered !!!!! NO barefoot and pregnant for my wife slaving over a hot stove for my woman javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0); cheesy
LMAO

on another topic how long can u keep apon in the freezer?
whats the deal with with all these carbs in the ibo diet ever heard of the Atkins diet?
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 11:26am On Sep 24, 2008
(akini NC) mind yourself

amaka money no be problem,
i need to send the list to senate and high cult for marriage approval.
you know that in nigeria anything can happen.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by akininNC(m): 3:41pm On Sep 24, 2008
phillip001:

(akini NC)    mind yourself

amaka money no be problem,
i need to send the list to senate  and high cult for marriage approval.
you know that in nigeria anything can happen.

we will settle this old school style, please pick your weapon of choice
1) hand to hand combat
2)old western gun battle
3)swords
grin grin grin

we will fight to death and the last man standing gets amakaone.
@amakaone
I have already ordered the gele materials and I am practicing wearing it out in public but I am getting weird looks in public, I hope I tied it correct because I can't imagine why they would be staring at me otherwise. lol
ps I don't need senate approval,they have already been taken care off wink wink (you  know what I mean)
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by amyliajane(f): 3:59pm On Sep 24, 2008
philip make u no fear, the list shouldnt intimidate u i believe u're up to the task and besides there is room for negotiation xcept say u no love amaka reach, no worry u go get plenty backing
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 10:42am On Sep 25, 2008
@amyliajane, my sis i no dey fear this small boy, i know that he does not know the diff.between and marriage and frienship.can he tolelate a woman.

akinin NC pls go and look for a small girl fro friendship.

this is your pics

amaka how can some one like this be interested in the same woman iam interested in.

Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by akininNC(m): 1:31pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ phillip001

I am sure I do not have to remind you about the story about David and Goliath tongue

@ Amakaone

I am on a regiment of human growth hormone, I know there is a growth spurt waiting to happen so please do not listen to this silly man smiley grin
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 2:12pm On Sep 25, 2008
bros how come we are fighting over one woman? and why didn"t indicate interest b4 now.
we get planty planty girls 4 nairaland pls go get one and leave this one (amaka one) 4 me
it has been predistined that in this world it is amamka and me.you will not understand spiritual things.

david won B-cos of God was on this side as His own child, but 4 us,God will be angry seeing two of His children fight over one woman and with anger His will ask you Why didn't you see her b4 now.

AMAKA ONE this boy that is always saying fight fight will not make a good husband, i think he is a boxer.
amaka one pls tell this boy to go sleep

amaka, amaka talk oooooooo
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by AmakaOne(f): 2:15pm On Sep 25, 2008
grin LOL @ Phillip & Akinin

you guys are cracking me up here sha!
grin
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by shady08(m): 3:13pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ phil, amaka na my sis, she dey fall my hnd wif dat list, e suppose reach 5tmes d original 1
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by akininNC(m): 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ Amakaone

You know I am lover not a fighter but when the situation calls for it you have to fight for your woman. Chivalry is not dead where I come from.
The village elders are also waiting for me to come back home for the coronation so all I need is a queen! I have been to Queens NY but no luck so you are my last chance otherwise they will give the crown to another family. I know you dont want this on your conscience. grin grin grin

Try this technique next time you are making stew.

Add a little oil to be pot and pan fry your seasoned meats , add the rest of the seasoning, your onion and garlic after you have some color on the meat then fry a little longer, you should have some brown bits on the bottom, add water and cook normally. This gives a very flavorful broth and the meat comes out really moist as well because the pan frying. This is a french technique and you see it a lot in cajun cooking as well. Finger licking good. I will be posting my Nigerian influenced chinese fried rice soon that has been a favorite at a lot of parties soon.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by phillip001(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2008
@akinin nc

(Add a little oil to be pot and pan fry your seasoned meats , add the rest of the seasoning, your onion and garlic after you have some color on the meat then fry a little longer, you should have some brown bits on the bottom, add water and cook normally. This gives a very flavorful broth and the meat comes out really moist as well because the pan frying. This is a french technique and you see it a lot in cajun cooking as well. Finger licking good. I will be posting my Nigerian influenced chinese fried rice soon that has been a favorite at a lot of parties soon )

you tried but my lovely amy don't need a teacher, you said she is your last chance?so you want to marry b-cos of the crown.sorry dear check the next girl.

amaka, how are you today? no let this boy's write up disturb you.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by akininNC(m): 6:45pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ phillip001

I like it, you are starting to shake in your shoes, you are feeling amaka slipping out of your hands, don't worry I will invite to the wedding and if you play your cards right I might even introduce you to one of the village girls.

Just trying to show Amaka my culinary skills amongst my many talents ( apparently one of those talents requires me to sit in front of a computer screen all day)  grin grin grin

@ Amaka

Please tell this young man already  kiss kiss kiss, I don't want to be accused of child abuse cry cry cry
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by Flowers2127: 6:30pm On Dec 13, 2012
Amaka lie ur own make i lie my own finish. Amaka good thing you do not blog again. Stop stealing people's recipe. Why hasn't the admin put you in your place. At least if u take it make reference to whom u stole it from. U do this all the time. U don't know how to cook this soup. After stealing it you modified it. A true urhobo will tell u u got it wrong. Tomatoes in urhobo Oghwo soup. Since when? Stop stealing o stop taking recipe from people's blog.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by Sammiejo: 5:37pm On Dec 15, 2012
Which Owo soup be this? Igbo own?
Rodo? Lime/lemon juice? Garri and starch together in one pot?
I respect . PEOPLE WHAT EVER YOU GET FROM USING THIS RECIPE IS DEFINITELY NOT OGHWO/OWHO/OWO/OWHOFIGBO/OWHOEPHRI
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by rume(m): 8:54pm On Apr 05, 2013
Flowers2127: Amaka lie ur own make i lie my own finish. Amaka good thing you do not blog again. Stop stealing people's recipe. Why hasn't the admin put you in your place. At least if u take it make reference to whom u stole it from. U do this all the time. U don't know how to cook this soup. After stealing it you modified it. A true urhobo will tell u u got it wrong. Tomatoes in urhobo Oghwo soup. Since when? Stop stealing o stop taking recipe from people's blog.

Tomatoes are regularly used in Benin! ...not starch. She also indicated that she got it from a friend, so what's the deal with "stealing"? Please...

Yes, the combination of starch, garri and potash is errm, interesting but unnecessary.
Re: Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup by MissyDee: 7:02am On Jul 20, 2015

(1) (Reply)

What Is The English Name For "Kpomor"? / How Do You Fry Your Eggs? (pic) / Take A Look At The Pears I Got For 2k. How Much Is This In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.