Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? (2055 Views)

Asuquo Ekpe Is Dead (He Scored Nigeria's First Nations Cup Goal) / Help A Nigerian Player Win U17 Goal Of The Tournament / Obafemi Martins dribble entire defense to score MLS goal of the year( Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by youngies(m): 3:35pm On Sep 23, 2008
Since the inception of the world cup in 1930 till date, so many wonderful, breathtaking goals have been scored by great players, goals one can only but dream of.

Though no one can say he/she has watched all the previous WC matches, so my choice of WC best goal will be limited to the matches that I have seen either live or on tape.

Many fans regard Maradona's second goal against England in the 1986 WC in Mexico as the best WC goal, personally I feel that many fans have not had the privilege of watching what I consider my best WC goal.

It is the Carlos Alberto Torres' thunderbolt in Brazil's 4 - 1 demolition of the "masters of defence," Italy, in the 1970 WC final. Nine Brazilians were involved in the build up to that goal with Pele setting the stage for team captain Torres' blinder to the far post.

To my mind, the goal is probably deserving of FIFA's award as the most beautiful goal in WC history.

What's yours?
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2008
i go with maradona.

Cos he made the English look like Idiots that they are . Better still Made them realise that they are idiots
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by youngies(m): 11:44am On Sep 24, 2008
dayokanu:

i go with maradona.

Cos he made the English look like Idiots that they are . Better still Made them realise that they are idiots

Sometimes it may not be only the English that could be idiots, the goal by Michael Owen against Argentina in 1998 probably comes to mind,
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Sep 24, 2008
The English are the most culpable remeber ronaldinho on Ashley cole, Ronaldinho on Seaman, Argentine Free kick scored by Zanetti in that same match, Zidane's free kick in Euro 2004 to mention a few.

Remeber portugal vs England Euro 2000
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Hannibal: 6:42pm On Sep 24, 2008
I will go with Socrates' goal against Italy in 1982.
The way Zico and Socrates combined to create that goal is absolutely brilliant.
Brazil went on to lose the match 2-3 to the Azurris but the way Socrates planted Dino Zoff on his ass was PEACH!!!
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by A40(m): 1:35am On Sep 25, 2008
There are many so my world cup goals of all time would be more appropriate

Roberto Baggio (3rd place of match of Italia 90 Italy vs England)
Dont remember his name but (Saudi Arabia vs Belgium USA 94)
Samson Siasia (USA 94 Nigeria vs Argentina)
Daniel Amokachi (USA 94 Nigeria vs Greece)
Finidi George (USA94 Nigeria vs Greece)
Sunday Oliseh (France 98 Nigeria vs Spain)
Dennis Bergkamp (France 98 The Netherlands vs Argentina)
Michael Owen(France 98 England vs Argentina)

The list is endless
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 6:38am On Sep 25, 2008
Saheed Owairan the saudi guy
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Raimond(m): 10:29am On Sep 25, 2008
dayokanu:

Saheed Owairan the saudi guy

I think Owairan`s goal was a fluke.That of Maradona was more like it.
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by HNIC(m): 11:16am On Sep 25, 2008
There was a goal scored bya Mexican, Negrette(hope the spelling is right) in the 1986 world cup held in Mexico.
It was a hopeful cross from the right wing and the lad connected with a side bicycle kick which flew into the net after hitting the bar.
Beauty!!!!
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 25, 2008
It's got to be Maradona's solo effort vs England.It was unthinkable back then to round half a squad,and it's even more difficult to do such again these days.And it was at the World Cup, when World cups meant the tough matches at every stage.

Van Basten's volley against USSR at Euro 88 was more of stunning than beautiful, but a great goal all the same.the angle from which he struck the ball was out of this world.

Zidane's volley  vs Leverkusen was sweet.The way he set himself up,the actual striking of the ball,the way the ball hit the net, awesome.!
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by donchichi: 4:15pm On Sep 25, 2008
Eastbay:

. . .It was unthinkable back then to round half a squad[b],and it's even more difficult to do such again these days[/b].

I would have agreed with you if i hadnt seen lionel messi's goal in the match between barcelona and getafe 2 or 3 seasons ago. But nontheless, it was a great goal
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2008
Oops,my my bad.

forgot the topic was about World cup goals,

So I stick with Maradona,
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 7:39pm On Sep 25, 2008
Brazil-Ronaldinho step over that crippled Ashley Cole in 2002
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Bobbyb(m): 8:08pm On Sep 25, 2008
omo people r really beefing ENGLAND
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by A40(m): 9:38pm On Sep 25, 2008
@dayokanu
Thanks for the reminder the name sounds so Nigerian!! naah banana shot we dey call the goal back in the days
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Akolawole(m): 10:50pm On Sep 25, 2008
Maybe DayoKanu is scottish.
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by youngies(m): 11:15am On Sep 26, 2008
@People, please let's try to limit our choice of goals on WC goals only, not Euro nor club football.

I don't know if anyone remember this beauty called a goal?

Roberto Baggio's goal against Czechoslovakia in Italia 90

A marvellous run by Baggio after receiving the ball on the half way line, nothing could stop him from scoring. Goal was written all over the field immediately he made his first touch on the pass at the half way line.

The goal was peach as Hannibal will always say
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by superstan(m): 7:10pm On Sep 26, 2008
jurgen klinsmann against korea republic in 1994.

that was a wicked goal.
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 9:41pm On Sep 26, 2008
English sides are so stupid that they fall for all the tricks in the book.

Remember How They almost made Okocha world footballer of the year for his display against the daft English players in 1994 wembley

If not that Okocha was playing to the gallery he would have spelt UNITED KINGDOM that night
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by A40(m): 11:40pm On Sep 26, 2008
@superstan
It was a wicked goal in a wicked match that almost saw Korea equalize against the Mighty German Machine.It was after that match i knew for sure that German side couldn't retain their crown
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 1:15am On Sep 27, 2008
The German's still had the pedigree to hold on for the win while the English would have crumbled
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by A40(m): 3:52am On Sep 27, 2008
I knew you would say that
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by youngies(m): 12:53pm On Oct 02, 2008
Dayokanu with his fixation on the English!
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by youngies(m): 1:06pm On Oct 02, 2008
Borgetti's goal against Italy in Korea/Japan 2002 iwas sheer class.

Following 90 seconds of buil-up play with 14 passes and not a single touch from an Italian player, Blanco's intelligent floated cross was met by Borgetti, whose exquisitely directed back header eluded Gianluigi Buffon.
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 6:26pm On Oct 02, 2008
That Borghetti's goal reeks of class. Buffon was rooted to the spot.

Fixated on England? When we have Brazil, italy  and Germany. it irks me when a below average country like that makes so much noise They are Just like South Africa. One trophy won on home soil donkey years ago!!
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Sauron1: 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2008
Davor Suker's goal against Germany in France 98.
The way he turned the German defence like a half-done chicken BBQ was hilarious.
Kopke's LOOK after Suker's goal was priceless.
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 7:16pm On Oct 02, 2008
Davor Suker's goal against Germany in France 98.
The way he turned the German defence like a half-done chicken BBQ was hilarious.
Oliver Khan's LOOK after Suker's goal was priceless.

Sauron,

I keep telling you that you dont know anything about Soccer.

You saw oliver Kahn in goal at france 1998?

Try discussing table soccer instead. Why do I keep nailing you with those numerous and unpardonable goofs everytime?

You make me look like Albert Einstein.

Maybe you didnt see that step over by Dinho on Ashley cole in 2002
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Sauron1: 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2008
dayokanu:

Sauron,

I keep telling you that you don't know anything about Soccer.

You saw oliver Kahn in goal at france 1998?

Try discussing table soccer instead. Why do I keep nailing you with those numerous and unpardonable goofs everytime?

You make me look like Albert Einstein.

Maybe you didnt see that step over by Dinho on Ashley cole in 2002

You are an idiot!!!
What about your Fergie has won 2 UCL titles in 22 seasons?
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by A40(m): 10:28pm On Oct 02, 2008
That Borgetti's goal was something else shocked he nodded the ball in an opposite direction with his back to goal i have not seen such in my life

I also left out the almost 30 passes the Argentine's did before scoring against Serbia and Montenegro in the last World Cup
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 03, 2008
Dayokanu.
Suprised at you making this kind of mistake.
It was Andy Kokpe in goal-then regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world,not Kahn.Kahn was a perrenial substitute for Germany till Euro 2000.
For a guy who loves a German team you shouldn't be making that mistake,
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by dayokanu(m): 5:21pm On Oct 03, 2008
Dayokanu.
Suprised at you making this kind of mistake.
It was Andy Kokpe in goal-then regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world,not Kahn.Kahn was a perrenial substitute for Germany till Euro 2000.
For a guy who loves a German team you shouldn't be making that mistake

How can I make that mistake Its only uninformed Man utd fans that can do that. Sauron Made that error befor ehe correcfted it but I quoted the statement before he could
Re: Your World Cup Goal Of All Time? by Tatase(f): 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2008
I think the Maradona "Hand of God" goal (1986 QF against England) is my favourite just for the sheer audacity of it all. Like imagine getting away with that today. Maradona was magic or a god.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sure 10odds Saturday/sunday Bet9ja Selection / Watch All Champions League Goals And Extended Highlights / Would DSTV Show Saudi Arabian League Matches With Ronaldo's Transfer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.