Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,919 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria (7300 Views)

Nigeria E-passport New Prices Start Today. / President Jonathan Launches New E-passport / Change Of Name Issue With The New E-passport? Info Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by iceland(m): 12:57pm On Sep 25, 2008
I came home so i decided to get this new e-passport(in fectac office) cos the old one expires by the year 2010.But when it was finally given to me it was a big shame to our beloved country.My photograph in the passport was dark and not sharp,above all there were shadows at the back of my head in the passport.Can u beat that?International passport o! I checked all the passport issued that day they all came out same.Do u have the same experience?
The old one is kinda better off!
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by tboy1(m): 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2008
Have u considered maybe its the pic you submitted?
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by iceland(m): 1:04pm On Sep 25, 2008
tboy1:

Have You considered maybe its the pic you submitted?
Haba! The pic I submitted does not have anything to do with the pic in my passport.When u get there U will be photographed digitally with their own camera.That is the pic they will use in the passport
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by tboy1(m): 1:44pm On Sep 25, 2008
ohh my bad
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 1:51pm On Sep 25, 2008
@ iceland
Ur topic does not rhyme with your experience. The new passport is not a shame to nigeria simply because your picture was not clear. Your biodetails are also stored electronically together with other security features and that makes the new passport much better than your old nigerian passport with 'clearer' picture.

The main issue will be your visa. Immigration officers really do not bother so much with your passport. Thery are only interested in knowing if you have the right visa to their country and thats where all their attention normally goes.

Raise your head Iceland. You are a proud citizen of Nigeria and a Queen! Clear passport or not!

1 Like

Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by kadman(m): 8:01pm On Sep 25, 2008
^^ Which one be Queen inside this matter ? ( some people like consoling themselves sha ). Yes the new passport is has electronic stored info ( I really don't even believe this, has it even been proved ). But the quality is terrible ! The hard cover is soft and fades easily,and the passport paper isn't well cut at all. The older one is far better.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by iceland(m): 8:37pm On Sep 25, 2008
kadman:

^^ Which one be Queen inside this matter ? ( some people like consoling themselves sha ). Yes the new passport is has electronic stored info ( I really don't even believe this, has it even been proved ). But the quality is terrible ! The hard cover is soft and fades easily,and the passport paper isn't well cut at all. The older one is far better.
Understand my plight.

igbogolo:

@ iceland
Ur topic does not rhyme with your experience. The new passport is not a shame to nigeria simply because your picture was not clear. Your biodetails are also stored electronically together with other security features and that makes the new passport much better than your old nigerian passport with 'clearer' picture.

The main issue will be your visa. Immigration officers really do not bother so much with your passport. Thery are only interested in knowing if you have the right visa to their country and thats where all their attention normally goes.

Raise your head Iceland. You are a proud citizen of Nigeria and a Queen! Clear passport or not!
Havent you seen where immigration argues with someone that he/she is not the owner of the paasport?That the person in it does not look like he or she.I believe when we as country embarks on new things it should be done with quality and perfection.try see other country's passport

1 Like

Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by Plum70: 11:25pm On Sep 25, 2008
My experience is different: I obtained my e-passport in the Nigerian High Commission in London and I thought the quality of the picture was good. I was just not satisfied with my signature as it appeared minute (but that was my fault!). I quite like the new design of the passport pages too as they are etched with pics of the country's heritage. I don't know about the cover being too soft or fading. I'll have to wait and see.

What ever the case I do not think a not-so-perfect product is enough to deem Nigeria 'a shame'. A tad extremist in my opinion.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by DisGuy: 11:41pm On Sep 25, 2008
igbogolo:

@ iceland
Ur topic does not rhyme with your experience. The new passport is not a shame to nigeria simply because your picture was not clear. Your biodetails are also stored electronically together with  other security features and that makes the new passport much better than your old nigerian passport with 'clearer' picture.

the Main issue is not the Visa alone, The passport will Serve as an I.D not only at the airport but in banks, school etc inside and outside of Nigeria!!

can you ask for another one?
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by kadman(m): 11:48pm On Sep 25, 2008
Plum70:

My experience is different: I obtained my e-passport in the Nigerian High Commission in London and I thought the quality of the picture was good. I was just not satisfied with my signature as it appeared minute (but that was my fault!). I quite like the new design of the passport pages too as they are etched with pics of the country's heritage. I don't know about the cover being too soft or fading. I'll have to wait and see.

What ever the case I do not think a not-so-perfect product is enough to deem Nigeria 'a shame'. A tad extremist in my opinion.

That was not your fault,my signature looked like that too,too thick,small and unreadable. Thank your stars you're not in Nigeria. I can't even use that passport for transactions because the signature is not readable. And you say that's not "a shame" ?
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 9:17am On Sep 26, 2008
@ Plum
thank you. I also have the new passport. I can say that a lot of thought went into the design. Its so picturesque with our national icons embedded in every page. its warm, friendly and its a delight to behold.
In the old passport the biopage is laminated but in the new one the biopage is embedded in the hard cover with superior imaging format. Mine is clear, my signature is of the right proportion and the booklet is of better quality.
@Iceland.
probably the machine used in festac needs some adjustment. Did u complain about to the passport office that your picture was not clear. Im sure its an anomaly that will be sorted out with time but I still maintain that your unclear passport does not in any way warrant 'shaming' Nigeria in your rather sensational manner.
My old passport will expire in 2010. My picture there does not in any way bear any resemblance to me ( I have changed considerably in facial apperance over the years) but I have never been harassed about it.

@ kadman
when someone calls you a king or queen( depending on your sex),It simlly conveys respect, dignity and clout. I merely wanted to express our proud heritage as Nigerians irrespective of a mere passport booklet. I expect everyone, even of little intelligence, to grasp that without muddling common sense.
That your signature is diminished wont really present a challenge in your 'transactions'.

1 Like

Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 10:04am On Sep 26, 2008
@ siena
Thank you and yes its possible that the passport office isnt aware of the poor quality of the photographs. Since iceland mentioned shadow in her picture, its also possible that the lighting(maybe of the room) or that of the camera wasnt adjusted properly.
And yes, its very difficult to get a resonable complaint adressed in the typical nigerian passport office but you never can tell you know. she actually might have gotten her issue sorted out if she did complain.
If you run your own business and you are concerned about your client base, customers, name and untimately money, you will ensure that you give your customers the best quality care. I suspect thats whats obtainable in your own case. We all know that government officials get a bit lax with their duties especially as they have nothing to lose. their salaries will always come in by month end.
All my friends that have renewed their passports have good stories to tell. Im just a bit taken back by Icelands comments.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by kadman(m): 8:12pm On Sep 26, 2008
igbogolo:

@ kadman
when someone calls you a king or queen( depending on your sex),It simlly conveys respect, dignity and clout. I merely wanted to express our proud heritage as Nigerians irrespective of a mere passport booklet. I expect everyone, even of little intelligence, to grasp that without muddling common sense.
That your signature is diminished wont really present a challenge in your 'transactions'.

O ye of plenty intelligence. Your common sense should tell you that when you cannot match the signatute of an ID card / Passport,you would have problems with "transcations".
The poster didn't find the Passport of good quality & up to standard,simple. It's her money & her passport. She's complaing about not being satisfied. I don't know what your argument is even about.

- And I get the Queen & King thing,but someone is complaining about passport quality & you're talking about national heritage,  what's the correlation ? ** rolls eyes**
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 4:59pm On Sep 27, 2008
@ kadman
If someone comes out to the world wide web to call nigerians liars simply because a nigerian lied to him/her, will you like it?
iceland said that her unclear passport is ''a shame to Nigeria'' simply because her passport isnt clear. Her generalized statement is not correct because there are thousands(my self included) that have clear passport and I feel that coming to the world wide web to bash Nigeria( of which I am a citizen) is unbecoming. do you get that
right now we are punished for the activities of few people. pls do not sit there and tell me that you are not affected by the misadventures of a few nigerians. for instance no nigerian goes to tanzania. they have all but banned nigerians from their country and the few that go there with legitimate papers and everything are harassed.
when someone reads icelands comments pasted carelessly on the internet, they will definetely reinforce what ever negative impression they have of us and you will definetely suffer some sort of injustice here or there as a result of the perceived impression. thats where the heritage comes in and for your information, I am a very proud Nigerian.

you definetely need some tutoring. i am amased at your heterogeneous comments which goes to a great depth to punctuate your rather asinine reasoning. please ponder, if for a few minutes, before commenting.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by kadman(m): 9:13am On Sep 28, 2008
@ Igbo

Should I dignify you with a response ? I think not. I thought you had a mature mind to argue with,but from your last post you're obviously do not.
You do not know the difference between being patriotic & realistic. Bashing Nigeria ? Iceland was bashing the new E- Passport. Please read before posting. You still haven't given solutions to either Iceland or my several problem with the passport. Yet you keep posting.
Americans bash their President in several ways,because he deserves it. And they are far more patriotic than you will EVER be.
If you don't mind inferior things for whatever reason,well thats you. Please don't force your ideology on others

@ Post

I just looked at my passport picture & compared it with the visas on it. The visa pictures are so much clearer than the passport's own Bio Data page. It's just so annoying. I don't like it one bit. I have the old passport & it's still valid. I feel like transferring back to it.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by brownbonno(m): 10:45am On Sep 28, 2008
The Nigeria Passport is a representation of the nation Nigeria.If the passport is bad,then is bad(no cosmetic word here)
If you want to accept garbage in garbage out all in the name of patrotism,then we have to redefine the meaning of patrotism.
We should learn to call spade a spade and not a garden spoon.Criticism allow you see your weaknesses.

If you plan a rotten seed yam,then wait for the result during harvest.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 6:56pm On Sep 29, 2008
@ kadman
iceland went to festac office for her passport. Fact.
iceland claims her passport wasnt clear. fact
Iceland wanted to confirm if it was just hers so she enquired from others who came that same day for their passport.Fact.
Iceland concluded that the new passport in its entirety is bad hence 'shame to Nigeria' Fact.
my questions>
1, how do we define clarity.is it based on icelands observation alone? how then do we ascertain the measure of clarity of icelands passport? None!how do we benchmark it?
2. is there any evidence that passports issued the days before and days after at the festac office are bad? None.
3. Nigeria has thousands of passport offices nationwide and world wide. is there any evidence to suggest that the entire passport office of Nigeria is deficient? none!
so in the face of lack of concrete evidence, how then can iceland make such a proclamation that nigeria needs to be shamed?
its obvious she has a problem with the FESTAC office. someone somewhere is not doing his job so its the festac office not Nigeria should take the blame.
kadman, do not waste your time teaching me about realism and patrotism. Learn to work with what you are given.

I mentioned earlier that your visa plays an important role which u have also confirmed. the picture in your visa is almost all that most immigration officers need to confirm your authenticity. so what are u still talking about?

please do not compare Nigeria the US. lets compare like things. americans bash their president and country about serious national issues not about 1or 2 or 3 unclear passport booklets!

@ brownmiwo.
A passport is not a representation of the nation nigeria! where did u get that from? a passport is merely a travel document issued when you are moving out of the country. so if your passport is bad, then the country is bad? please stop! now u are scaring me with this wayward reasoning!
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by iice(f): 10:36am On Sep 30, 2008
LMAO
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by LondonCool(m): 10:49am On Sep 30, 2008
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 11:57am On Sep 30, 2008
@londoncool
Thank you for this educated response
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by otiokpo(m): 10:10pm On Oct 08, 2008
hey ice land.
dont condemn nigeria for ur own mistakes.
in all the ommigration offices spread across nigeria and also the international offices. we have trained officers who r tested and trusted.
why i said u should not condemn ur country for ur own mistakes is for a number of reasons but i will only give u one or two.
look i have worked in festac office for 4 yrs before i was transferred to the head quarters in abuja and it is the same image acquisition process.
now before ur image image is being acquired by an officer u have to be enrolled first. after the enrolment process u will be given the opportunity to go tru ur detail and effect any changes incase u notice any errors or mistakes.
now after u have been acquired u r also given the opportunity to check ur details once more and dese details incude ur picture and other personal details including ur signature. so u have the right to say i dont want this picture to appear like this or i want to resign my signature its too small or not clear.
re,member after everything a confirmation slip is supposed to be printed out in two copies of which one is for u and the other is kept in our office for record puposes. on the copy that is kept in our custody u will write legibly "details confimed by me" and sign with date.
i think i have made u seen ur faults so stop condeming nigeria immigration service and nigeria.
thanks
i rest my case.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by igbogolo: 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2008
@otiokpo.

thank you for that clarification. its always easy for someone to run to the internet and shout and call nigeria names when he/she is even the one to be blamed. Nigerians squirm a lot. kai!
Thank you otiokpo.
For those that peddle ignorance about the nigerian passport and Nigeria, SHAME ON YOU!!!
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by boyt1: 10:42pm On Jan 12, 2010
simply because you appeared ugly with shadows at the background, now makes the E-passport for over 150million people a shame. you never tell us your problems finish.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by Vickivicki(m): 4:58am On Jan 14, 2010
boy t:

simply because you appeared ugly with shadows at the background, now makes the E-passport for over 150million people a shame. you never tell us your problems finish.

Tell us your own experience.
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19am On Jan 14, 2010
Na wa oo because ur passport wasnt clear. its now a shame on nigeria, Nigerians are funny people oo lipsrsealed
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by symbian03(m): 11:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
But those immigration officers aren't so friendly; wouldn't even allow you to change those errors initiated or caused by em actually, They sincerely wants money and less fortunate people are being embarrased. They are full of Aboki's, Go to Alagbon branch and come tell me if it's all being faked.

Can someone please tell me if the replaced E-mail on my passport really matters? I guess NO but would like to know. Because; my initial email was replaced with someone else email. Thanks ya'll
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:18am On Feb 10, 2010
please in the event that there is a mistake in one of the details after the passport has been printed, like date of birth,what steps can one take to correct it? i need details please, thank you
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by tkb417(m): 3:23pm On Feb 10, 2010
brownbonno:

The Nigeria Passport is a representation of the nation Nigeria.If the passport is bad,then is bad(no cosmetic word here)
If you want to accept garbage in garbage out all in the name of patrotism,then we have to redefine the meaning of patrotism.
We should learn to call spade a spade and not a garden spoon.Criticism allow you see your weaknesses.
If you plan a rotten seed yam,then wait for the result during harvest.
if Icelands passport is bad, it means Nigeria is bad?
wonderful grin grin
u need a double slap on the face for that
Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by doctor126(m): 7:28pm On Feb 10, 2010
I ave Dsame problem with my E-Passport, dark and cannot be seen by someone who have eye problem. My fellow nigeria dat naija for you.

1 Like

Re: The New E-passport Is A Shame To Nigeria by MrT2011(m): 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2014
igbogolo: @ kadman
If someone comes out to the world wide web to call nigerians liars simply because a nigerian lied to him/her, will you like it?
iceland said that her unclear passport is ''a shame to Nigeria'' simply because her passport isnt clear. Her generalized statement is not correct because there are thousands(my self included) that have clear passport and I feel that coming to the world wide web to bash Nigeria( of which I am a citizen) is unbecoming. do you get that
right now we are punished for the activities of few people. pls do not sit there and tell me that you are not affected by the misadventures of a few nigerians. for instance no nigerian goes to tanzania. they have all but banned nigerians from their country and the few that go there with legitimate papers and everything are harassed.
when someone reads icelands comments pasted carelessly on the internet, they will definetely reinforce what ever negative impression they have of us and you will definetely suffer some sort of injustice here or there as a result of the perceived impression. thats where the heritage comes in and for your information, I am a very proud Nigerian.
you definetely need some tutoring. i am amased at your heterogeneous comments which goes to a great depth to punctuate your rather asinine reasoning. please ponder, if for a few minutes, before commenting.

cheesy grin cheesy Proud Nigerian indeed!!!

You are on your own.

grin cheesy grin Proud Nigerian. Your Government & Politicias are the most sick set of people in the World.

They are your shame to the world.

Your being proud by force makes you a shameless citizen.

You most stand up against mediocre and Shamefulness- accepting the ills of your Country in good faith and proffering solutions makes you a civilized citizen of the world- it's called good criticism.

(1) (Reply)

Before You Sleep In Any Hotel In Nigeria !!! - Read This. / Amazing!! Sand Sculpture At Copacabana Beach In Rio De Janeiro. Photo / Finally, FG To Tax First, Business Class Tickets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.