Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,888 members, 7,828,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! (2533 Views)

Tambuwal & Nigerian Senators At EQUATOR In Uganda - PICS / Nigerian Senators In Uganda For Graduation Of 200 Indigenes Of Sokoto - Photos / Faces Of Nigerian Senators During Fashola's Ministerial Screening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Sep 29, 2008
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/saris-with-tummies-exposed-too-sexy-for-nigeria/70528-2.html

Johannesburg: Indian women in their traditional saris with midriffs showing may find themselves falling foul of Nigerian law if a bill currently under discussion in that country is passed.

Tourists in towelling wraps and Nigerian women in traditional dress with their stomachs exposed could also find themselves behind bars for three months or subjected to fines of $100, according to the Media24 News Service here.

While women's rights groups have come out strongly against the proposed law, Muslim leaders are supporting the bill, proposed by Senator Eme Ufot Ekaette, who felt that nudity was driving men to engage in corruption and steal from the state in Nigeria.

"Nudity leads to corruption," Ishaq Akintola of the Muslim Rights Watch, a strong supporter of Akaette's proposal, told Media 24.

"Nigerians are fighting corruption, through which many of our leaders, mostly men, have stolen fortunes for their personal use. They build colossal homes in London, Rome and New York because they have to spend money on women and have to hide them in these big homes."

Akintola said scantily dressed women were luring men. "They are being misled every time by a naked woman."

Women's rights groups have called the proposed law "laughable", but are concerned that the House of Representatives in the capital Abuja may push it through, since the assembly has already considered it twice.

Onyinyechi Okechukwu of Alliances for Africa, a women's rights group, said the law would result in girls as young as 14 sitting behind bars in a country where police are reported to maltreat women regularly. The law would also be open to abuse because the police would have the discretion to seek out offenders on the streets, with the test being whether a woman's body was exposed lower than two inches above the neck or more than two inches above the knee.

"The police will have to carry tape measures around. How will a policeman know that my dress is two inches below my neck if he doesn't touch me? I'll slap him!" Okechukwu said, adding that it was unfair that men may freely walk around topless, while "it is certainly a turn-on for some women".

The Nigerian Feminist Forum said in a statement that more pressing issues in the country, such as female circumcision, the high infant mortality rate and rape of babies should get priority from the authorities.
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Jakumo(m): 6:07pm On Sep 29, 2008
I personally find the sight of a bare female midriff fascinating enough to get me pulled over for DUI,  were I to spot one whilst driving, so I can imagine the pandemonium that would ensue if women in Nigeria were given free rein to wantonly expose such highly erotic zones of their anatomies as their stomachs to public scrutiny, causing great stress and mental anguish amongst Nigerian male observers.

An alternative to an absolute ban on traditional INDIAN mid-riff-exposing sari wearing by NIGERIAN women would be for Abuja law-makers to push through a constitutional amendment that would legally empower male Nigerians to demand explanations for perceived moral and dress-code transgressions committed by Nigerian women, and subsequently to impose sanctions where appropriate.
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by plusQueen: 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2008
That senator Ekaette is a useless senator if this is her greatest achievement.
What has she done to curtail crime and corruption?
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Hardballer(m): 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2008
thats a hell of a thing to say really stupid
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by idupaul: 10:12pm On Sep 29, 2008
hmm aleast i now know where Nepa;s $16 billion went .
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by SkyBlue1: 11:51pm On Sep 29, 2008
WOW!! It almost seems futile debating this but i personally can't wait for the Senator in question's stint and misadventure in the senate to come to an end. Perhaps now it isn't so ludacris to comprehend the abysmal records of actual bills pased and situations addressed by the legislative arm of government when you look at what goes on there. Obama recommendations? Exposed tummies of ladies in Indian dresses? Since when did these even become a priority in the Nigerian situation when you look at everything else? *sigh*
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by bawomolo(m): 4:03am On Sep 30, 2008
"Nudity leads to corruption," Ishaq Akintola of the Muslim Rights Watch, a strong supporter of Akaette's proposal, told Media 24.

with this statement, ishaq akintola is up there with john locke and karl marx.
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Nobody: 5:05am On Sep 30, 2008
Please hide this thread. It's demeaning.
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Sep 30, 2008
roflmao!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Epiphany(m): 1:44pm On Oct 01, 2008
bawomolo:

with this statement, ishaq akintola is up there with john locke and karl marx.

Ishaq Akintola must be an illiterate to utter this kind of statement. HOW DOES NUDITY LEAD TO CORRUPTION.
What amazes me is that there are a lot more important things to bother about, than whether women are wearing proper clothes or not. For Gods sake, that is not the most important challenge this country has. If they are so worried about the way women dress, they should enforce laws that force all women to wear the muslim 'cover-all' thing
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 01, 2008
Guys relax.

You cant get much from a country where majority of the people purposely decide to be stupid and blind.
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by blackspade(m): 9:43pm On Oct 01, 2008
Nigeria isn't a Muslim state, I strongly disagree with this proposal. People need to learn how to stop forcing their beliefs on everyone, and coexist.
Re: Nigerian Senators Say Tummy-exposing Sarees Are Responsible For Corruption! by grafikdon: 9:44pm On Oct 01, 2008
Haba Kobo kobo. . . abeg hide this thread in the name of Amadioha, Eledumare, Abasi, Egbesu, Osanobua, Chineke, Jehova, Budhha, Lao-Tse, Arochukwu. . . which kin disgrace be this?  grin grin

Chei! See retarded grown men who switch off their brain when they speak. . . nudity = corruption.  ROTFLOL!!!!!!!

Our brain dead worthless Senators have given Mpele a nuclear weapon mixed with otapiapia, alabukun, Gbogbolise and expired Nku Cream. . .   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Questions To Expect During Interviews For Confidential Secretary Positions / Why Is The Osun State Govt Wasting Millions On Billboards? / Letter To President Jonathan, By Al- Mustapha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.