Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,358 members, 7,860,948 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:37 PM

Albinos Killed In Burundi - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Albinos Killed In Burundi (1150 Views)

Burundi's President Storms Polling Unit On A Bicycle / Faces Of The Failed Coup Plotters In Burundi (pics) / Military Coup In Burundi, Pierre Nkurunziza Ousted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Albinos Killed In Burundi by vwvw(m): 11:02am On Oct 03, 2008
Albinos in Burundi have been taking refuge after three of them were killed by gangs apparently seeking to sell body parts in neighbouring Tanzania. Four albinos were moved to a provincial centre on Thursday in Ruyigi, Burundi, where police were protecting them,, http://connectafrica./2008/10/03/albinos-in-burundi-flee-from-ritual-killings/
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by Ibime(m): 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2008
Where is Kobojunkie?

grin grin grin

Anyway, let me take her place:

(1.) How much percentage of Albino's have been killed? How does this compare with the murder rate amongst people of other skin pigments?

(2.) What percentage is Albino-on-Albino crime and what Percentage is Black-on-Albino crime and how does it compare with Black-on-Black crime?

(3.) What is the level of crime against Albinos in foreign countries? Does it compare favourably with the murders against Albinos in Burundi and Tanzania? If so, how can we jump to the conclusion that these Albinos are being killed simply because they are Albinos?

I think we should examine the facts before crying foul for the Albinos like it is their birthright to cry foul at being the target of witch doctor killings. I think it is wrong to generalise and say that all Burundi witch doctors are biased toward Albino body parts   cheesy
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by vwvw(m): 4:38pm On Oct 03, 2008
dear ibime we dont have to wait until this becomes a scourge before we cry foul. when the tutsi's and moderated hutus were massacred in the several hundreds of 1000's we watched on forgetting that we had a chance long before then to quell the ethnic cleansing. there are only about 400 albinos in Tanzania; Tanzania had witnessed its own fair share of ritual killings, now is burundi. the sad aspect bout this is the parts were being exported to Tanzania. tomorrow it could Nigeria. Remember Africa is a homogeneous enterprise, so lets not thread softly on this every second counts, http://connectafrica.
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Oct 03, 2008
roflmao!!! Glad to see I have some influence even though my statements continue to be misrepresented.

@Poster, these ritual killings have been going on for a while now. It is not new, and since we have waited this long, what are we actually doing about it. I am glad you at least point out that this ill is not being committed by all burundians but some gangs in there. Could be reason why we have not had the batch come in to condemn the whole country for the crime of the gangs. What are the authorities doing about this? What is awareness without action??
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by vwvw(m): 4:56pm On Oct 03, 2008
well u could be in the states where security authorities are timely and proactive but in east and central africa, awareness is everything. only recently a smoker was public killed-strangulated. because he dared to break a four year ban on public smoking. my point is this, the people think alike. if we don't 1st say its wrong and condemn in strong terms this barbaric act. a number of people could be building mansions on alibino parts. africa my brother is still africa.dealing with solutions such as this must incorporate a purely african solution. think about it the babalawos are as influential in the public courts in bujumbura as well as in lagos. in fact there is a strong myth in nigerian traditional circles that dwarfs, albinos and hump backs could bring great fortune when killed for rituals.i believe the same way the ugandan mob was influenced in thinking public smoking was wrong could be chanelled effectively and positively in killing this diabocal-get--rich formula once and for all that albinos are better alive than dead
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by RichyBlacK(m): 6:26pm On Oct 03, 2008
If I have my way, anybody that commits a crime related to juju (ritual murder, etc.) would be imprisoned for life without the possibility of parole. Also, anybody that advocates belief in juju that can be deemed dangerous to life and/or property will be imprisoned for 5 years or pay a hefty fine, in the order of N500k. They use their juju to escape from prison or make the money to pay the fine.

Beliefs in these useless, retrogressive, unfounded fetishes have resulted in too many deaths in sub-Saharan Africa.
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by RichyBlacK(m): 6:28pm On Oct 03, 2008
Ibime:

Where is Kobojunkie?

grin grin grin

Anyway, let me take her place:

(1.) How much percentage of Albino's have been killed? How does this compare with the murder rate amongst people of other skin pigments?

(2.) What percentage is Albino-on-Albino crime and what Percentage is Black-on-Albino crime and how does it compare with Black-on-Black crime?

(3.) What is the level of crime against Albinos in foreign countries? Does it compare favourably with the murders against Albinos in Burundi and Tanzania? If so, how can we jump to the conclusion that these Albinos are being killed simply because they are Albinos?

I think we should examine the facts before crying foul for the Albinos like it is their birthright to cry foul at being the target of witch doctor killings. I think it is wrong to generalise and say that all Burundi witch doctors are biased toward Albino body parts cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin

You try. Imitating the junkie babe no easy.
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Oct 04, 2008
vwvw:

well u could be in the states where security authorities are timely and proactive but in east and central africa, awareness is everything. only recently a smoker was public killed-strangulated. because he dared to break a four year ban on public smoking. my point is this, the people think alike.

I don’t agree with that assessment at all. Do you realize we have been crying about awareness for decades and still we continue to see the same old jargon doled out daily in Africa? Awareness is not everything. That is why I believe awareness without action means nothing. Look at the case of AIDS in Africa. We have known for over 20 years about the virus and it’s effects. Many who live on that continent today have been affected one way or the other. In fact, many have had to watch loved ones shrivel up and die due to the virus, but what do we have today? The numbers remain extremely high and does not seem to be going down anytime soon. Billions have been pumped in, in the name of awareness and what have we to show? Little or no change in the numbers.

We should start to ask ourselves what it is that seems to be working in other areas and start applying that in our case. Simple as that. It is going to take time but have we not wasted enough time trying what continues to fail us?

vwvw:

if we don't 1st say its wrong and condemn in strong terms this barbaric act. a number of people could be building mansions on alibino parts. africa my brother is still africa.dealing with solutions such as this must incorporate a purely african solution.

Do you really believe these killers do not know what they are doing is wrong? Do you really believe that those who continue to have unprotected sex and then choose to pass on the AIDS to others just because are not aware of the evil they chose to perpetrate?? Where these Albinos killed in broad daylight, in the middle of markets with police men around to watch?? Do these AIDS cases go to their selected victims and say “Hey, I have AIDS and I want to give it to you cause I believe you need it”? Come on!!!

vwvw:

think about it the babalawos are as influential in the public courts in bujumbura as well as in lagos. in fact there is a strong myth in nigerian traditional circles that dwarfs, albinos and hump backs could bring great fortune when killed for rituals.i believe the same way the ugandan mob was influenced in thinking public smoking was wrong could be chanelled effectively and positively in killing this diabocal-get--rich formula once and for all that albinos are better alive than dead

That traditional belief sure exists but guess what else, we have so many dwarfs and hump back individuals walking around today. Though we still have cases where idiots kill them for their humps and what nots, the point is most of these killings are done by people who know what they are doing is against the law and is wrong but they do it anyway.

I think the wrong approach is trying to undo the beliefs of these people by trying to “EDUCATE” them or something. Instead expose them to information on the penalties that exist should they cross the line and as time goes on, minds will adapt to the new reality that there is some steep punishment that awaits any who breaks the law.

The reason why many of these babalawos have a hand in local courts is not because they are not aware of the evil of their ways. It is simply because our society is corrupt and they know it and are willing to take advantage of it to their own good. Simple!! You can NEVER eliminate these crimes in totality but you can curb them by ensuring that those who are caught committing them are prosecuted to the full extent of the law, same goes with racism of any kind. You can never eliminate it in totality. In fact, as long as we are humans and have opinions, such ideologies will exist and we need to not only accept that but put in place measures to ensure that people understand such acts are frowned upon and against the law.
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by tpia: 12:33am On Oct 04, 2008
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by idupaul: 12:36am On Oct 04, 2008
,ust nigeria be blamed for everything, did nolly wood also train Tanzanian witch doctors.
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by darfur(m): 9:56pm On Oct 04, 2008

You try. Imitating the junkie babe no easy.

wait wait wait, kobojunkie na woman? shocked shocked . . . . . . angry
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by vwvw(m): 6:22pm On Oct 19, 2008
SO IF THE GOVERNMENT WOULDNT FIGHT FOR YOU, WHY NOT TRY FIGHTING FOR YOURSELF, http://connectafrica./2008/10/19/tanzanian-albinos-stage-protest-over-ritual-deaths/
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Oct 19, 2008
I believe the Albinos in this case are doing the right thing. Getting their voice heard on the international scene. Hopefully, they continue this and bring the world to understand that their own government does not seem to care for it's own people. Sort of like what we saw this year with burma and tibet. The world now knows and so their fight is not in vain.
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by vwvw(m): 3:36pm On Oct 21, 2008
angry Police commander of Kahama district Shaibu Mohammed said the attackers broke down the door to her home and dragged her outside and cut her throat.They chopped off her lower legs and some hair which they made off with.About 30 albinos have been killed in Tanzania this year, their parts wanted by witchdoctors for "get rich" potions. this incident happened on sunday night hours after president jakaya kikwete had promised to clamp down on these mendacious ritualists, http://connectafrica./2008/10/21/albino-girl-murdered-in-tanzania/
Re: Albinos Killed In Burundi by blackspade(m): 5:08am On Oct 23, 2008
This is a good example of why it pays to get an education.

(1) (Reply)

Obama's Victory Predicted By Nostradamus! / Niger: Junta Hands Over To President Mahamadou Issoufou / Romney President Of Bain Clueless For 3 Years Like Ebele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.