Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing (22603 Views)

Why You Need Fish Processing Equipment In Your Fish Farm -- CATFISH PROCESSING / Advise To Agricultural,farmer Add Meat,chicken,fish Processing To Your Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 27, 2014
In summary, it involves buying catfish, processing and smoke drying it, packaging it in a branded polythene pack, and distributing it to supermarkets, retail outlets and the likes.

You will need a fish smoke/drying machine for this purpose. You can get a good one capable of drying 200 fishes per batch for N300,000.

To make your product more presentable, you will need a nafdac approval which is about N(30 to 50),000.

A kilogram of catfish at farms is about N600. It will cost you less than N100 to process and package it. You can sell it to supermarkets at N900 who in turn sell it to dia customers at N1,000.

In summary, u will be making an average of N150 profit per fish.

Assuming you process and sell 400 fish per week, you will be making an average of N240, 000 per month.

If you have a place to use as your factory or a compound to construct a shed for your machine, you can start the business with about N500,000. This will get you a nafdac reg, a business name reg, smoking and sealing machine, and more than 100 catfish.

Note: Supermarkets will not pay you
immediately initially. You have to drop d products and collect your money whenever its sold. But when your product becomes hotcake, they can even pay u in advance to supply them.

Their is a huge market for hygienically smoked fish abroad, but you can hardly meet the market demand in the country talk less of exporting.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by joebol: 6:17pm On Jun 27, 2014
we are into fish farming, this is nothing but the truth, but a kg of fish is N500 naira now at least in lagos
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by smithboela(m): 10:37am On Jun 29, 2014
Where do we get the smoking machine for the catfish, I stay in Ikorodu. Thanks.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 29, 2014
smithboela: Where do we get the smoking machine for the catfish, I stay in Ikorodu. Thanks.
I stay in kaduna. A guy I know @ Ibadan do fabricate the machine. Give me a call and I will link u up

1 Like

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by FarmTech(m): 12:00am On Jun 30, 2014
At least if one can't start fish farming, he can start with fish smoking. Thanks Op. If I'll start, I wont spend anything for nafdac and biz name registratn though. I dont think packaging will matter to market women.

1 Like

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Bitos: 5:36am On Jun 30, 2014
To be realistic, is the market so readilly available for Catfish?

I remember visiting a small-scale poultry farm in ijebu-ode and the owner was complaining of lack of demand in the egg produce, similar case being encountered by a neighbouring bigger-scale farm too. Anything like peak and off-peak period in demand for fish?
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 30, 2014
Bitos: To be realistic, is the market so readilly available for Catfish?

I remember visiting a small-scale poultry farm in ijebu-ode and the owner was complaining of lack of demand in the egg produce, similar case being encountered by a neighbouring bigger-scale farm too. Anything like peak and off-peak period in demand for fish?
Before, fish sells well both in the local and export market. Now, a ban has bn put in the importation of fish and its products. 25% ban each year 4 d next 4 years by d time which it will be banned totally. Fish is not like egg. Even if the market for smoked fish becomes slow, the fish has a minimum shelf life of six (6) months unlike egg with less than even a month.

1 Like

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Bitos: 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2014
Thanx for the info.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Belexy(m): 6:38pm On Jul 01, 2014
agonbello: Before, fish sells well both in the local and export market. Now, a ban has bn put in the importation of fish and its products. 25% ban each year 4 d next 4 years by d time which it will be banned totally. Fish is not like egg. Even if the market for smoked fish becomes slow, the fish has a minimum shelf life of six (6) months unlike egg with less than even a month.

The shelf life depends on how it was processed. Most times might not be up to 5 months sef.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Belexy(m): 6:44pm On Jul 01, 2014
agonbello: In summary, it involves buying catfish, processing and smoke drying it, packaging it in a branded polythene pack, and distributing it to supermarkets, retail outlets and the likes.

You will need a fish smoke/drying machine for this purpose. You can get a good one capable of drying 200 fishes per batch for N300,000.

To make your product more presentable, you will need a nafdac approval which is about N(30 to 50),000.

A kilogram of catfish at farms is about N600. It will cost you less than N100 to process and package it. You can sell it to supermarkets at N900 who in turn sell it to dia customers at N1,000.

In summary, u will be making an average of N150 profit per fish.

Assuming you process and sell 400 fish per week, you will be making an average of N240, 000 per month.

If you have a place to use as your factory or a compound to construct a shed for your machine, you can start the business with about N500,000. This will get you a nafdac reg, a business name reg, smoking and sealing machine, and more than 100 catfish.

Note: Supermarkets will not pay you
immediately initially. You have to drop d products and collect your money whenever its sold. But when your product becomes hotcake, they can even pay u in advance to supply them.

Their is a huge market for hygienically smoked fish abroad, but you can hardly meet the market demand in the country talk less of exporting.

Nice thread here... can u give a step by step process in smoking fish so dat we can all learn. Starting frm cleaning till packaging.

I am about to start smoking on a small scale and intend buying a small smoking kiln to experiment with..
The one in d pix below can take about 30 fishes per batch and cost 25K.

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 5:13am On Jul 02, 2014
Belexy:

Nice thread here... can u give a step by step process in smoking fish so dat we can all learn. Starting frm cleaning till packaging.

I am about to start smoking on a small scale and intend buying a small smoking kiln to experiment with..
The basic unit operations in Fish Smoking are:

1. CLEANING

The fishes are bled, gutted and gilled to remove the agent of deterioration by using clean knife.

2. BRINING

The cleaned fish are soaked in salt solution (30% salt)

3. SMOKE DRYING

The heating chamber is filled with charcoal and charge by fire. The cleaned or treated fish is loaded into trays and feed into the kiln. Drying is
considered adequate when the moisture content has been reduced to about 25%.

4. PACKAGING

The smoked fish is package neatly in transparent cellophane nylon ready for sales.(FIIRO)
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 02, 2014
Belexy:

The shelf life depends on how it was processed. Most times might not be up to 5 months sef.
Yes, u r right sir. The shelf life depends on how dry, processed and packaged the fish is.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Belexy(m): 6:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
agonbello: The basic unit operations in Fish Smoking are:

1. CLEANING

The fishes are bled, gutted and gilled to remove the agent of deterioration by using clean knife.

2. BRINING

3. SMOKE DRYING

The heating chamber is filled with charcoal and charge by fire. The cleaned or treated fish is loaded into trays and feed into the kiln. Drying is

4. PACKAGING

The smoked fish is package neatly in transparent cellophane nylon ready for sales.(FIIRO)

Nice

How will i easily determine 30%salt solution? U knw if d salt is too much den d smoked fish becomes too salty.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by FarmTech(m): 7:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
agonbello: The basic unit operations in Fish Smoking are:

1. CLEANING

2. BRINING

3. SMOKE DRYING

4. PACKAGING

Pls how do u know when moisture content is below 25%.

1 Like

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 02, 2014
Belexy:

Nice

How will i easily determine 30%salt solution? U knw if d salt is too much den d smoked fish becomes too salty.
mix 100gram of salt per litre of water.

1 Like

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Belexy(m): 7:33pm On Jul 03, 2014
agonbello: mix 100gram of salt per litre of water.

Okay, thanks for the info.

Another question: how long do u recommend someone should soak the fish in brine? Should it be left for hours so that the salt penetrates well?
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
Belexy:

Okay, thanks for the info.

Another question: how long do u recommend someone should soak the fish in brine? Should it be left for hours so that the salt penetrates well?
20 to 30 minutes is enough for the fish to be well salted

1 Like

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Belexy(m): 9:51pm On Jul 04, 2014
agonbello: 20 to 30 minutes is enough for the fish to be well salted

Thanks
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by feminineA: 8:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
Belexy:

Does your kiln use gas> if yes please how can i get it
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by bamdexfarms(m): 6:50am On Mar 16, 2015
we offer training to intending catfish smokers. we also sell at whole sale price. interested people can call or whatsapp me on 08128470332

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by omotititi: 12:48pm On Mar 16, 2015
Wow...this is impressive.... Please how will one get this kind of dryer ? How much is the cost per one? Please advice .
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by noblefarm: 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2015
bamdexfarms:
we offer training to intending catfish smokers. we also sell at whole sale price. interested people can call or whatsapp me on 08128470332

Where do is ur base?
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by bamdexfarms(m): 2:35pm On Mar 17, 2015
omotititi:
Wow...this is impressive.... Please how will one get this kind of dryer ? How much is the cost per one? Please advice .

Call or whatsapp me: 08128470332
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by bamdexfarms(m): 2:36pm On Mar 17, 2015
noblefarm:

Where do is ur base?

Ibadan
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Etranshub(m): 8:38pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nice thread op all well said. For your smoking kilns contact bethsaidal farms and agro allied. We fabricate , install and train you on how to smoke your fish without or with negleageble PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon)

The one in the attachment is still under construction and its a 200kg capacity dual power source (gas and charcoal) that can smoke 400 pieces of fish (500g each) or 200 pieces (1kg each) of fish.

1 Share

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by noblefarm: 9:50pm On Mar 17, 2015
Etranshub:
Nice thread op all well said. For your smoking kilns contact bethsaidal farms and agro allied. We fabricate , install and train you on how to smoke your fish without or with negleageble PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon)

The one in the attachment is still under construction and its a 200kg capacity dual power source (gas and charcoal) that can smoke 400 pieces of fish (500g each) or 200 pieces (1kg each) of fish.

this is good, pls is there any one with electric and gas and how much?
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Etranshub(m): 4:44pm On Mar 18, 2015
noblefarm:

this is good, pls is there any one with electric and gas and how much?
yes it usually comes with either gas and charcoal, gas and electricity or charcoal and electricity.

Price depends on the size (capacity ) and the power sources involved. You can send me an email on olowaolugbenga@gmail.com with the capacity and power sources you are looking at and I will send you a quotation.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by noblefarm: 5:36pm On Mar 18, 2015
Etranshub:
yes it usually comes with either gas and charcoal, gas and electricity or charcoal and electricity.

Price depends on the size (capacity ) and the power sources involved. You can send me an email on olowaolugbenga@gmail.com with the capacity and power sources you are looking at and I will send you a quotation.

Sent u email
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Belexy(m): 10:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
feminineA:

Does your kiln use gas> if yes please how can i get it

No, it uses charcoal. But u can get the one dat uses gas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by feminineA: 11:35am On Mar 20, 2015
please where? can i get your contact

Belexy:

No, it uses charcoal. But u can get the one dat uses gas.
Re: Short Report: How To Start Cat-fish Processing by Juliana7: 11:56pm On Mar 20, 2015
Wow, iovely thread, great info

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mr Yusuff Gbenga Lesgupnigeria Is A Tested and Trusted Businessman / Storage Of Farm Produce / A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.