Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,443 members, 7,846,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:03 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (136) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (482417 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lakesidepapa(m): 1:34pm On May 30, 2015
mrham03:
hahahahaha@ jealous and bad belle. Bros, nigeria cant beat south american sides. How will that change on monday?

I can't shout, wait till monday and see how it will change. Hope ure not suffering from hypertension for u not to be admitted to hospital after the game.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:35pm On May 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Quotes of the Day[/size]

Quotes: New Zealand-Ukraine

Darren Bazeley, New Zealand coach
It took us 45 minutes to get into the game but we sharpened up in the second half. I saw a lot of positives today; we played with a lot of heart and courage. But we need a little bit more. You could see there were a lot of nerves out there but we will assess our performance and look ahead [to playing USA]. I think we'll need four points to qualify, so we'll need to get up to that mark in our next two games. Bill [Tuiloma, captain, who came off with an injury] had cramp in his groin but he should be fine soon. We need to make sure he’s fit.

Oleksandr Petrakov, Ukraine coach
It was a very good experience, playing the host county, and I think the game was 50-50. New Zealand were good but Ukraine also did well. I think the New Zealand team has progressed well and improved. As for Ukraine, we created many chances but we need to improve and convert the opportunities we are creating. Improving is our big challenge now. It is challenging to raise our level in just one day [of training] but that is what we must try to do.

Quotes: USA-Myanmar

Gerd Zeise, Myanmar coach
We can leave this arena with our heads raise. We were a little bit unlucky, especially in the first half. I didn't see a better performance from the Americans, they only had more experience. I told [the American bench] that they were too clever for us and we must learn.

Tab Ramos, USA coach
We didn't play how we wanted to play, that's for sure. We found in front of us a very inspired team, a newcomer coming into the World Cup and they fought hard. They made us play ugly and it was difficult for us. I'm happy with the win but we're going to have to improve if we're going to go anywhere in this tournament. [Laughs] I can't really tell you what I said at half-time.

Quotes: Argentina-Panama

Humberto Grondona, Argentina coach
We had many good and excellent opportunities to win this match today. Panama made the most of their chances, so naturally the result and sharing the points hurts. Unfortunately we made too many errors to secure victory in this game. Panama were very tough opponents today; it was a difficult opening match for us. At the end we could even have lost the game and come away empty-handed despite our dominance. But my team wouldn’t have deserved that after the way the match played out.

Leonardo Pipino, Panama coach
Our target at this World Cup here in New Zealand is to finally win a game in this competition. I think we had a very good chance to do that today. My team delivered a fantastic performance and absolutely deserved this result. If we carry on like this then I think we’ll have a good chance of achieving our goal. We’re a solid unit and like a family, and that makes us so strong.

Quotes: Ghana-Austria

Sellas Tetteh, Ghana coach
It was a very difficult game for us, but the first match in a tournament is always tough and it takes a while to find your rhythm. Congratulations to Austria for a really strong performance; it was clear that this team has plenty of quality. Having said that, it didn’t surprise me as every side that qualifies for a World Cup has earned the right to be here. Everything is now open in our group after the first two games both ended in draws. Next up is a tricky match against Argentina, which we can hopefully win.

Andreas Heraf, Austria coach
We were well prepared. We watched Ghana frequently beforehand and carefully analysed their play, which meant we knew almost everything about our opponents. The team followed our gameplan perfectly and we were closer to making it 2-0 or 3-0 than to Ghana scoring the equaliser. It was almost an unbelievable performance against a side who have come here with the aim of becoming world champions. My lads are a little downhearted in the dressing room, which is madness – but it shows the great ambition within the team. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:35pm On May 30, 2015
femi9naija:
I see one of Nigeria, Germany, Argentina and Brazil winning the cup
Bros this ur dream no complete ooo. U b natic Dr? Pick Nig jare. Y u de behav like 1 native Dr wey tell 1 pregnant woman wey go to consultam to knw which pikin she carry 4 belle. Ma im de nativ Dr say 'if u no born boy, igo be girl'
heheheheheheheh.....**smiles***

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by EagleScribes: 1:36pm On May 30, 2015
safarigirl:
wherever did I say I want Ghana out? They played shiit today, so make I clap for them abi wetin?

Don't mind that dude girl. He craves your attention. You could see I didn't reply him cos there was no need to.
I won't even mention him after the Monday win.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 1:36pm On May 30, 2015
safarigirl:
wherever did I say I want Ghana out? They played shiit today, so make I clap for them abi wetin?
whats matters is we got a draw. Now my question to you, can nigeria beat south american oppositions?

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 1:40pm On May 30, 2015
lakesidepapa:

I can't shout, wait till monday and see how it will change. Hope ure not suffering from hypertension for u not to be admitted to hospital after the game.
hahaha, am very healthy. No hypertension., it wont hurt me if nigeria beats brazil but ur record against south american teams at this tournament is poor, naija peepz should manage their expectations. Thats all i want to put accross.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lakesidepapa(m): 1:42pm On May 30, 2015
mrham03:
whats matters is we got a draw. Now my question to you, can nigeria beat south american oppositions?
Stop fucking around young man, bad belle is allow(in M.I voice) but it's nt good
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:43pm On May 30, 2015
blueto:
Chai!
Austria just scored an Nepa took light shocked

Is like we have Ghanians amongst nepa staffs
Bros I no get strenght to laff
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lakesidepapa(m): 1:45pm On May 30, 2015
mrham03:
hahaha, am very healthy. No hypertension., it wont hurt me if nigeria beats brazil but ur record against south american teams at this tournament is poor, naija peepz should manage their expectations. Thats all i want to put accross.

If u knw u don't have any good thing to contribute on this thread, pls stay away and pls for God sake, don't quote again till monday. Peace
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 1:47pm On May 30, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Stop fucking around young man, bad belle is allow(in M.I voice) but it's nt good
lol, me i know naija peepz, if the game doesnt go well for u, u will start insulting the team..... Brazil has watched the videos of the flying eagles, naija peepz should know that it wont be an easy game.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 1:53pm On May 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Moses Simon pushes to start for Flying Eagles[/size]

Ghent of Belgium forward Moses Simon could be in line for surprise starting place in the Flying Eagles opening World Cup match on Monday after he played in place of Musa Yahaya on the left side of midfield in Saturday’s training.

Simon, fresh from winning a first-ever Belgian league championship with Ghent in 115 years, was the only change in a possible starting XI coach Manu Garba is considering for Monday’s showdown against the highly-fancied South Americans.

Musa Yahaya played from the left side of midfield for what looks like the starting XI in Friday’s training, but it was Simon who took his place in Saturday’s training.

And he even scored with a left-footed belter in a 2-1 win for the main team against the second side.

Mustapha Abdullahi smashed home the opening goal for first team, before Simon doubled the advantage.

Godwin Saviour, who is also pushing for a starter’s shirt, pulled a goal for the other team and could have even drawn his team level in the closing moments but he missed target from inside the box.

Flying Eagles main team on Saturday

Joshua Enaholo – Musa Mohammed, Mustapha Abdullahi, Wilfred Ndidi, Zaharadeen Bello – Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Ifeanyi Matthew, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon – Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success. [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by wordychap: 1:59pm On May 30, 2015
joseph1013:
[size=14pt]Moses Simon pushes to start for Flying Eagles[/size]

Joshua Enaholo – Musa Mohammed, Mustapha Abdullahi, Wilfred Ndidi, Zaharadeen Bello – Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Ifeanyi Matthew, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon – Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success.
Good
All I want is to c kelechi, moses simon, taiwo awoniyi n Isaac success play in d first game!
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Segadem(m): 1:59pm On May 30, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Mitv will air it live via BON likewise like ait and Ltv. I learnt it this morning on their saturday sport programme.
don't trust that yeye TV call LTV .

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by greatwaters: 2:01pm On May 30, 2015
safarigirl:
nah. The NTA and AIT on DSTV have their content being controlled by DSTV

Ok, thanks girl. That mrans i may have only updates 2 rely on
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 2:02pm On May 30, 2015
I see a balanced team , both the first and 2nd team have equal strength , they might have scored different numbers of goals. A deadly attack will be launch against the Brazilian team. Left right forward and centre ... Even from d back . Pls rain shld not fall in newzealand , that could only be d obstacle from observing total football.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by greatwaters: 2:03pm On May 30, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Mitv will air it live via BON likewise ait and silverbird and other BON affiliated local station but only nigeria games. I learnt it this morning on their saturday sport programme.
Someone said earlier here that NTA showed the opening match buh I ain't confirm that sha.
Thanks dude
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:03pm On May 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Manu: World Cup or nothing[/size]

Coach Manu Garba has restated the resolve of the Flying Eagles to make history by becoming the first Nigerian team to win the U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

The Flying Eagles have been beaten finalists at the 1989 and 2005 tournaments and have qualified for this competition without a break for the past 10 years.

On Monday, the African champions begin their campaign in New Zealand when they take on five-time champions Brazil at the 11,000-capacity Stadium Taranaki in New Plymouth. Kick-off time is 1pm local time, which is 2am Nigerian time on Monday.

”It is either the cup or nothing else for Nigeria,” declared Manu, who led the country to win a record fourth U17 World Cup two years ago and he is back in New Zealand with half of that championship-winning squad.

“There is a lot of pressure but we do not allow it to affect us because once we put yourself under pressure, you are most likely to make a lot of mistakes.

“For us, we do not know the word pressure. We do our best and just pray for mother luck.

“We have all it takes to go all the way and take the cup back to Nigeria.”

The Flying Eagles trained at the smart Stadium Taranaki Saturday afternoon for an hour and will have their final training before the Brazil showdown Sunday morning by 10am local time. [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:16pm On May 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Spoils and thrills shared on opening day[/size]

THE DAY REPLAYED – The first day of action at the FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 proved to be a day of sharing, with both enjoyment and points being spread about in abundance. Indeed, while the players thrilled the crowds with entertaining, hard-fought games in Auckland, Whangarei and Wellington, the teams themselves struggled to assert dominance, and three of the four matches ended all square.

More than 25,000 spectators had streamed into Auckland's North Harbour Stadium for the big kick-off, and they had come along hoping to see the hosts win their opening encounter. The fans were ultimately denied the joy of a maiden New Zealand win at this level, but the Junior All Whites at least managed to escape unscathed in a 0-0 stalemate with Ukraine.

Further south, USA posted the only win of the day as they saw off Myanmar 2-1, while the spoils were shared in both Group B encounters amid torrential rain in Wellington.

Results
Group A
New Zealand-Ukraine 0-0
USA-Myanmar 2-1

Group B
Argentina-Panama 2-2
Ghana-Austria 1-1

Goal of the day
Argentina-Panama 1-1, Rodriguez (20)
The opening goal in this match was a thing of beauty as Angel Correa put Argentina ahead with a snap-shot following a pair of one-twos with Tomas Martinez, but the equaliser was possibly even better. Left alone 25 yards from goal, Panama's Jhamal Rodriguez unleashed a thunderous effort that flashed into the top-right corner beyond goalkeeper Augusto Batalla. An early contender for goal of the tournament.

Memorable moments
No goals but fans galore: Auckland was awash with supporters as the 2015 U-20 World Cup got under way in front of a record crowd for a FIFA tournament game in New Zealand. With the country hosting its third global tournament, 25,317 spectators packed into the ground hoping to see the home side's first ever win in this competition – or a third victory in three opening games for Ukraine. As it happened, the match ended 0-0.

Crucial captains: It soon became clear why USA coach Tab Ramos and his Argentinian counterpart Leonardo Pipino had named Emerson Hyndman and Angel Correa as their respective captains. The two players were the star performers on the opening day, with Hyndman taking the corner that allowed USA to draw level before scoring the winner himself with a cross-cum-shot. As for Correa, he put in an almost faultless display against Panama and weighed in with a pair of strikes. Elsewhere, Ukraine captain Bohdan Sarnavskyi was similarly impressive, wearing the armband with distinction between the sticks for the European hopefuls.

The stat
13 – The number 13 is widely associated with superstitions, seen by some as bringing good luck and by others as portending ill fortune. For two of the teams in action on Saturday, it was certainly full of significance. USA were the first as they conceded a goal for a 13th consecutive U-20 World Cup game, though, in truth, the effort they allowed Myanmar to score did not bring too much misfortune in its wake. In contrast, Panama's 2-2 draw with Argentina left Los Canaleros on a run of 13 games without a win.

The words
"I'd prefer not to tell you what I said to them at half-time," USA coach Tab Ramos, reflecting on his side's opening 45 minutes against Myanmar.

Next matchday
Sunday 31 May 2015

Group C (Hamilton)
Qatar-Colombia, 13.00
Portugal-Senegal, 16.00

Group E (Dunedin)
Mexico-Mali, 13.00
Uruguay-Serbia, 16.00
(all times local) [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by jancollins: 2:23pm On May 30, 2015
mackfame:

Bros you wont find mobdro on playstore because it's a 3rd party app. in order to install it, pls follow below steps:

1) go to settings on your android device
2) in settings -> go to security and activate/allow (install from non-play store app or 3rd party app)
3) leave settings
4) go to www.mobdro.com on the browser of your android device
5) download and install

NB:
If you have already activated/allowed (install from non-play store app or 3rd party app), pls start from step4

Done also
Thanks Man #wink

enjoy! smiley
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by AIG07: 2:25pm On May 30, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Moses Simon pushes to start for Flying Eagles[/size]

Ghent of Belgium forward Moses Simon could be in line for surprise starting place in the Flying Eagles opening World Cup match on Monday after he played in place of Musa Yahaya on the left side of midfield in Saturday’s training.

Simon, fresh from winning a first-ever Belgian league championship with Ghent in 115 years, was the only change in a possible starting XI coach Manu Garba is considering for Monday’s showdown against the highly-fancied South Americans.

Musa Yahaya played from the left side of midfield for what looks like the starting XI in Friday’s training, but it was Simon who took his place in Saturday’s training.

And he even scored with a left-footed belter in a 2-1 win for the main team against the second side.

Mustapha Abdullahi smashed home the opening goal for first team, before Simon doubled the advantage.

Godwin Saviour, who is also pushing for a starter’s shirt, pulled a goal for the other team and could have even drawn his team level in the closing moments but he missed target from inside the box.

Joshua Enaholo – Musa Mohammed, Mustapha Abdullahi, Wilfred Ndidi, Zaharadeen Bello – Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Ifeanyi Matthew, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon – Taiwo Awoniyi, Isaac Success. [/b]
seriously the Manu n his crew 'll be having tough time in team selection. As none of this star studded squad is willing to seat on d bench. Good one. What a fighting spirit dis dudes got!

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:28pm On May 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]U20 World Cup Begins Saturday as Nigeria Starts Another March Towards Elusive Trophy[/size]

Nigeria's success at the age-grade football tournaments cannot be underestimated, though the Flying Eagles are yet to win the U20 World Cup, the country had come close on two occasions. The last being a 2-1 loss in Netherland in 2005 to a Lionel inspired Argentine side. Though Nigeria's last outing in Turkey was not too inspiring, bowing out in the second round, but as the tournament kicks off today, the Garba Manu tutored lads will be hoping to improve on Nigeria's previous performances and probably lift the trophy for the first time in her 11th appearance to welcome the new government in power

Though the 2015 U20 World Cup formally kicks off today, Nigerian fans will have to wait till Monday to catch a glimpse of their team as they take on the second most successful team in the competition, Brazil, at the Stadium, Taranaki, New Plymouth, in what would no doubt be the Flying Eagles toughest group game and a decent result will put team in good stead to scale out of Group E, which also include Hungary and Korea Republic.

In a chat with former Nigerian international, Waidi Akani, who interestingly was part of the Nigerian team that won bronze in the 1985 edition of the championship said the Flying Eagles need to be focused and ensured they at least get a draw in their first match against Brazil so as not to be under unnecessary pressure in their subsequent group matches.

"The first game is always very important so as to gain confidence and respect from the other teams. By the time you win your first game you have remove the pressure that is associated with a competition of this magnitude," Akani told THISDAY.

"Brazil have a very good record in the competition and are always a fovourite to win, but that does not mean Nigeria cannot defeat them. We need to show them respect just like every other team without being afraid of them. When we played them in the semifinals at the 1985 edition, we were very confident but we lost to them due to some technical deficiency and luck was also not on our side. But I think this present set can defeat the Samba Boys with the right attitude and being focused," the former international noted.

"The team has had a decent preparation and some of the boys are in good shape. For now getting to the semifinal should be their focus, because a semifinalist is a potential winner," Akani affirmed.

Nigeria will go into that contest knowing they have never defeated Brazil at this level in a competitive game. Expectations are however high that this is the year when the Flying Eagles finally take the monkey off their back and beat the ‘Samba Boys’ for the very first time.

Nigeria’s coach, Manu Garba is spoiled for choice with prodigious and precocious talent at his disposal. In Manchester City’s Kelechi Iheanacho, he has perhaps the most coveted 18-year old in world football.

Iheanacho has been doing impressive things for City’s Elite Development Squad (EDS) and scored vital goals against Chelsea, FC Porto and Manchester United in recent weeks.

Garba can also call upon the services of Success Isaac, Moses Simon, a league champion with Gent in Belgium and Taiwo Awoniyi, the youngster severally touted to be the heir apparent to legendary striker, the late Rashidi Yekini.

Nigeria’s opponents are aware of the strengths of the West Africans with Brazil’s coach, Alexandre Gallo admitting that the Flying Eagles “can cause us problems”. “Nigeria always causes us problems. The team is a strong one, technically good with good players,” Gallo said.

Nigerian striker, Awoniyi has since confessed that they know little about the Brazilians or indeed any of their other group rivals ahead of their preliminary matches.

“We are yet to watch any videos of our opponents but our coaches have concentrated fully on preparing us for whatever challenges we will come across. We are ready,” the striker told the official FIFA website, www.fifa.com.

Gallo however insists Brazil would not be caught off guard and explained the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition in the pool.

“Hungary has a typically European style - direct football, tall players. North Korea doesn’t have very technical players but the team closes you down a lot, the team has speed and counter-attack intensely,” the Brazil trainer explained.

The Flying Eagles will do well to heed the warnings handed down by Gallo when they face the Koreans on June 4 and Hungarians four days later.

However, Awoniyi who is expected to be at the tip of the spear for the Flying Eagles in New Zealand is confident about the chances of the side at the tournament.

“With the preparations we have put in, we want to be world champions in New Zealand. Every game will be a cup final for us. Our biggest strength is outside the pitch of play. It is the unity among the players. We are a big, happy family. On a personal level, scoring goals comes naturally to me. I also hold the ball upfront and try and bring my teammates into the attack. I play for the team as well,” he said.

Nigeria has won the FIFA U-17 World Cup more often than any other country (four times), but has fallen short at the U-20 level, twice losing the final and once finishing third. “I think that is because we need continuity in the various national teams," said Awoniyi. "I believe if there is continuity, as is the case with us now, from U-17s to U-20s, we can change all that. We are very hopeful that we will be able to change it this year.”

Awoniyi is, of course, hoping for another life-changing experience in New Zealand, but failing there is not something which worries him greatly. “Football is unpredictable. We are African champions and we want to prove ourselves again at the World Cup. I don’t want to think of failure in New Zealand because I believe in this team.”

The coach is also optimistic but chose the path of modesty when he exclusively spoke to supersport.com before the team departed for Germany for the final phase of their preparations for the World Cup.

“We know we are a good side but we will approach all our games with respect for our opponents. The objective is to win every game at the tournament and if we eventually win the trophy then we will celebrate,” he said.

Ever since its inception as the FIFA World Youth Championship in 1977, the FIFA U-20 World Cup has provided the perfect stage for football fans across the globe to marvel at the talent of the game’s emerging stars. Some players arrive with an already-established profile, while others are completely unheard of before the competition kicks off. The list of participants past and present reads like a fantasy team of football’s greats.

New Zealand 2015 will be no exception. Each of the seven beautiful host cities could be where a new gem is unearthed, as was the case at Japan 1979 with Diego Maradona and at Netherlands 2005 with Lionel Messi. The two Argentinians share many traits, including certain on-field abilities. Wasn’t Messi’s penalty against Nigeria similar to Maradona’s spot-kick against Uruguay? And what about the magic left foot both put to use in finding the top corner against Brazil and the Soviet Union respectively?
Perhaps this year somebody will try to imitate Paul Pogba’s tip-toed run-up for his penalty against Uruguay in the final at Turkey 2013, or Sergio Aguero’s Pele-inspired dummy in 2007, or maybe there will be a new entry among the competition’s all-time best goals. The top 10 strikes from Turkey 2013 provide plenty of material to inspire this year’s participants.

Yet regardless of how much talent there is on the pitch, it will be impossible for anyone to replicate the spectacle put on by New Zealand duo Deklan Wynne and Clayton Lewis a couple of weeks ago when they took part in the #keepyuppy challenge from almost 200 metres up.

Those two, much like the other 502 players of the 24 participating nations, have their sights set on making their mark at the U-20 World Cup, and using it as a springboard to a brighter future.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by khattab02: 2:29pm On May 30, 2015
mrham03:
the ghanaian team did very well. We got a draw unlike the nigerian team who will be losing to brazil on monday.
grin grin grin

pray, pray harder...

E go shock you!
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 2:31pm On May 30, 2015
AIG07:

seriously the Manu n his crew 'll be having tough time in team selection. As none of this star studded squad is willing to seat on d bench. Good one. What a fighting spirit dis dudes got!

That has really proved that d team is ready for victory ,all of them are working ....Manu needs to play total attacking style against d Brazilian ,if u can see he has gone for it, selecting d players will not be a problem cos he know who will come in at the second half

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by ayusco: 2:42pm On May 30, 2015
Hey bro long time hope you good. Like safarigirl said our team are for the most part genuine youngsters us the fans have been tracking their progress and development for some years now so we can trust that they are not age cheats. Your lads look OK too from their young faces
GHKWAME1:

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I ain't buying this dear, once a cheat always a cheat. Are you supporting Ghana tho?

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 2:44pm On May 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles seek first win, first goal against Brazil[/size]

Nigeria U20 team, the Flying Eagles, will aim for a first-ever victory and first goal against five-time champions Brazil on Monday in an opening World Cup Group E match at the Stadium Taranaki in New Plymouth, New Zealand.

Both countries have met four times at the FIFA U20 World Cup with Brazil winning thrice, while the last clash ended in a goalless draw.

Their first meeting was at Mexico 1983 when Nigeria debuted at the tournament. The Flying Eagles captained by late Adamu Jeje and boasting the likes of Femi Olukanmi, Tarila Okorowanta, and Paul Okoku lost 3-0 to Brazil team who had Bebeto and Dunga.

The second encounter was in the Soviet Union (USSR) in 1985, when Nigeria lost 2-0 to the Samba Boys in the semifinals.

Brazil completed a hat-trick of wins over Nigeria at Chile 1987 with a ruthless 4-0 thrashing of a team who paraded the likes of Etim Esin, Nduka Ugbade and goalkeeper Willy Okpara.

The last meeting was at Holland 2005 when coach Samson Siasia-tutored side recorded the first point against Brazil with a goalless draw.

The Flying Eagles lined up Mikel Obi, Promise Isaac, Chinedu Obasi, Sani Kaita, among others.

The present class of the U20s are a team to beat in New Zealand and could well record a first win over the South Americans on Monday.

Former U20 stars Abduljeleel Ajagun and Kehinde Fatai, both of Panathinaikos (Greece) and Astra Giurgiu (Romania) told AfricanFootball.com the Flying Eagles are capable of going all the way to win Nigeria a first-ever U20 World Cup trophy.

"This present U20 team is solid, I have been reading a lot about them from the U17s till now, they have formed a formidable unit. I believe they will beat Brazil and go all the way to the final and win the trophy, but they must take it one game at a time and concentrate," predicted Fatai.

Ajagun, who captained the Flying Eagles to reach the Round of 16 in Turkey two years ago, said: "Flying Eagles are favourites to win this competition.

Manchester City scout Flying Eagles in New Zealand

“They are a good side and can get victory right from their first game till the final. They must not lose focus and keep believing in themselves."

The African champions have drafted as many as eight players who were not at the African Youth Championship in Senegal in March with the likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success and Wilfred Ndidi expected to start on Monday.

Brazil, on the other hand, struggled in the South American qualifying tournament to finish a disappointing fourth.

They have replaced their coach less than three weeks to the big kick-off, but must be boosted by 1-0 wins over both Portugal and Australia in warm-up games leading up to the World Cup.

Star player is playmaker Andreas Pereira, who has already made his debut in the EPL with Manchester United in March.

However, they will be missing the inventiveness in attack of Kenedy, who has been replaced at the last minute by Malcolm after he suffered an appendicitis issue which required surgery in Australia.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 30, 2015
I don't usually do this but i want to make a scoreline prediction for the Nigeria-Brazil tie.

Nigeria 4 - Brazil 1 cheesy

Two goals on each half by the flying eagles and one late draw back from selecao. I'm tipping Kelechi, Awoniyi and Musa to get on the scorers sheet.

i'll be back to say "i told you so" cool

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by khattab02: 2:49pm On May 30, 2015
mrham03:
yes of course even if it has never happen.. There is always a first time to an event and we think our time has come now... Relax and see for ya self...
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 2:52pm On May 30, 2015
khattab02:
grin grin grin

pray, pray harder...

E go shock you!
hahahaha, i myt even fast..., i think draw is gud for ur team so nigeria 2-2 brazil
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by rastamouse: 2:54pm On May 30, 2015
Pprovost:

I know.

especially betting on Ghana matches cheesy

cheesy
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 2:57pm On May 30, 2015
if only we had an awoniyi taiwo in our team, ghana would make every team bow in this tournament.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by SambisaaForest: 2:59pm On May 30, 2015
safarigirl:
and who gives a fvck what you think about how Ghana played? Just mind your damn business, huh? What is your business with Ghana? Fuckeduppedness grin

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 2:59pm On May 30, 2015
Whoever it is that was complaining of the haircuts of our boys......I just saw a pic of Argentina's Correrra and the dude has got both arms filled with tattos.

Think hair cuts should be the least of anyone's problems. Fellaini had a sponge on his head and could still head balls

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (133) (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.