Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,488 members, 7,850,692 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:29 AM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (163) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (482734 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 9:37am On Jun 01, 2015
Mehn...we need to replace Enaholo. He was poor in aerial balls. He was poor in his kicks. He was poor in ground balls. He was poor in his positioning. He gave away two goals in the second half. The defence was bad, but we'd have come out with a draw if he did his own work well.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:40am On Jun 01, 2015
[size=14pt]Defiant Manu promises Flying Eagles fight back[/size]

Coach Manu Garba has said his team will fight back into contention in the U20 World Cup after they fell 4-2 to five-time winners Brazil in an opening group game on Monday.

They face North Korea on Thursday, before they take on Hungary in a final group game at the weekend.

“It was a very disappointing result but I never expected us to lose so woefully to Brazil,” said Manu after the loss to the South Americans.

“Two of the goals were goalkeeping errors and should not happen in such a competition like the World Cup.

“Even their second goal to draw the game level at 2-2 should not have been allowed by the defenders.

“We made a lot of mistakes in this game.

“But we will win our next two games to be back in contention in this tournament.”

3 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 9:42am On Jun 01, 2015
Napoleon55:
This is simple,when confronted with well organized team like Brazil,Germany and argentina,the only way is to play 2 defensive midfieders. Don't go into the team expecting to trash them like other teams. The Brazilians were playing with a lot of confidence and psychological advantage on their side.
My advise is to just pick 3 points against Hungary even if it is with 1 or 2 goals to regain their confidence,from there they can go on----
he made a mistake by bringing ndidi into the game. Iheanacho's miss of the african youth championship is also showing in the team.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by wordychap: 9:44am On Jun 01, 2015
If finishing 2nd from d group we meet Germany, then its better we finish 3rd
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mijestic: 9:50am On Jun 01, 2015
The NFF should include Manu Garba in the list of Nigerian coaches to go for refresher courses. We lost the game to superior tactics. I thought Manu spewed a lot of his tactics b4 the match. He talked too much and boasted of having a stronger team. Same with the players. Football is played on the pitch and a formation board and not in the media. Also, I noticed that the same boy Mustapha (picture boy) who we have been worrying about losing concentration did just that. He was one of the weakest link in the team. The players need to put gadgets, cameras aside and concentrate on the reason why they are in NZ. All these taking of pictures here and there is distracting the team. On the part of we fans, this is a lesson for us that we shouldn't hype a good team unnecessarily but stand by them in difficulties. That's d evidence of a true fan.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:50am On Jun 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Rampant Germany smash eight past Fiji[/size]

Germany cruised to the most comfortable of victories in their FIFA U-20 World Cup opener, beating debutants Fiji 8-1 in Christchurch.

A rampant first-half performance, with Hany Mukhtar and Niklas Stark getting three and two respectively, saw the 1981 winners storm into an unassailable lead, though the Pacific nation's fans did have something to cheer about when Iosefo Verevou claimed an unexpected consolation strike.

Fiji started out in a fashion that they no doubt would have been pretty content with, defending stoutly in the opening stages, though possession was all Germany's. However, with the islanders unable to retain possession, it was little surprise when the deadlock was broken, and those first 18 minutes were not reflective of how the half would continue.

As soon as Stark had converted Marc Kampf's header back across goal the U-19 European champions had a second, with Marc Stendera converting from the penalty spot after Mohammed Khan's handball. Impressive footwork from Grischa Promel saw him fire in at the near post to make it three in five minutes, before Stark headed his second.

Mukhtar opened his account in fine style, curling in from the edge of the area, before he doubled his personal tally following a great burst down the left wing by Julian Brandt. With a half-a-dozen to their name, Frank Wormuth's side were already guaranteed victory, and as a result were lulled into something of a lackadaisical rhythm. They had quite a rude awakening after the break, however.

With only pride to play for, Fiji returned emboldened and following a tortuous first 45 minutes for the Pacific fans, they were given something to cheer. A deep cross saw Verevou peel away from his napping marker, with his header back across goal giving him the title of Fiji's first goal-scorer at a FIFA tournament.

And while the Fijians did all they could to prevent the deficit increasing, with Mukhtar denied his hat-trick thanks to a fine goal-line clearance, substitute Marvin Stefaniak pulled an effort out of the top drawer. After being on for a matter of seconds, he curled a delightful dipping shot over Misiwani Nairube to return some extra shine to the scoreline.

The goals were then rounded off with a second spot-kick, this time handed to Mukhtar so he could finally complete his treble. Germany will expect a sterner test when they face Uzbekistan, while Fiji will hope to pick up their first FIFA points against Honduras. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 9:51am On Jun 01, 2015
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 9:52am On Jun 01, 2015
wordychap:
If finishing 2nd from d group we meet Germany, then its better we finish 3rd
lol, dont u believe in ur team anymore? They can beat germany. Fiji isnt a strong team.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 9:57am On Jun 01, 2015
lexyman:
What happened to tiki-taka style? Our player kept lobbing the ball .
The inactiveness of d midfield cost us the game . Manu has now felt the absence of Idowu ,who is d most used player in d under 17 and under 20 matches , he is a silent worker that u can't write off ,brings balance to d team and his shielding ability can bring out the best in other midfielders . The midfield made our defense line to look weak .... If u watch the match all through the midfield went to sleep through out the match ... It was d defense line and d attack line that played d match all through . In total all boils down to tactical error , the team can do better if those errors are been corrected . I give kudos to d brazilians , they play accurate dead balls and majority of the players are ball jogglers they do all sorts with d ball to beat our boys and the marking ability was fantastic.

Simple Manu change ur tactics ,this will enable u to win other matches .
Thats actually the least problem if it was a problem at all.. .. Even with Idowu in the pitch the eagles would have still lost with the way the whole team played.

The tactics employed for the game was too rudimentary... The players were not complementing each other... I wonder what would have happened if yahaya was benched for Moses as some people here wanted.... Na die e for be..

When you have a good sriker like Isaac you dont need wingers who can score a hat-trick.. You need midfielders who can provide assist and shield the defense line... .

Manu no hear grin

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Badosqi(m): 9:57am On Jun 01, 2015
I think the second goal was the goal that really destabilised our boys and not the first goal.

The first goal was more of a blessing. Remember Brazil was all over us in the first 5 mins. They kept on attacking us with massive attack, they scored around 7mins and that was it. Our boys took over, we started our own balling. Hit the post, scored 2 quick goals continued attacking but we wasted lots of chances too.

Brazil scored their second goal immediately after we failed to score our third goal(awoniyi) and that was it, it changed the complete tempo of the game. That second goal demoralise our team, it was against the run of play and we all brazil to dictate the game from there.

Second half was a complete disaster, brazil kept on possessing, dictating game, definding and attacking us. We were completely outplayed.. Our attacking line did not see ball for most of the second. I SWEAR I CAN COUNT THE NUMBER OF TIMES, THE CAMERAMAN CAPTURE THE BRAZILIAN GOALIE.

But my own question is where is that tiki-taka football that the team is known for?. All we did throughout that second half was stringing long balls after long balls while brazil kept on attacking us with our tiki taka style.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 10:13am On Jun 01, 2015
Badosqi:
I think the second goal was the goal that really destabilised our boys and not the first goal.

The first goal was more of a blessing. Remember Brazil was all over us in the first 5 mins. They kept on attacking us with massive attack, they scored around 7mins and that was it. Our boys took over, we started our own balling. Hit the post, scored 2 quick goals continued attacking but we wasted lots of chances too.

Brazil scored their second goal immediately after we failed to score our third goal(awoniyi) and that was it, it changed the complete tempo of the game. That second goal demoralise our team, it was against the run of play and we all brazil to dictate the game from there.

Second half was a complete disaster, brazil kept on possessing, dictating game, definding and attacking us. We were completely outplayed.. Our attacking line did not see ball for most of the second. I SWEAR I CAN COUNT THE NUMBER OF TIMES, THE CAMERAMAN CAPTURE THE BRAZILIAN GOALIE.

But my own question is where is that tiki-taka football that the team is known for?. All we did throughout that second half was stringing long balls after long balls while brazil kept on attacking us with our tiki taka style.
That was an attempt of damage control... Manu realized the defense problem and advise the midfielders not to drift forward anymore but to launch long balls.... But it didn't work because that was not initially part of the plan... .. The boys arent used to that style and the damage was done...
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:23am On Jun 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Mighty Mervo sinks Korea DPR[/size]

Hungary shot to the top of FIFA U-20 World Cup Group E thanks to a fabulous showing from hat-trick hero Bence Mervo, seeing his side beat Korea DPR 5-1.

The powerful forward was unplayable all night as he tore in the Koreans' backline, and while An Ye Gun's side briefly drew level they were always second best, with the Europeans pulling out of sight with three second-half goals.

The game began as something of a slow burner, with Hungary in charge but with little penetration. Attila Osvath was first to test Cha Jong Hun in the Korea DPR goal, but the breakthrough came just six minutes later for the Magyars. A poor clearance by captain Kim Kuk Chol allowed Donat Zsoter to swing in a sumptuous cross which Mervo only had to glance into the far corner.

The Koreans were struggling to fashion many chances, but when they did they were invariably from free-kicks launched into the area, an approach which paid dividends. A high, searching pass found the head of So Jong Hyok. His flick was perfectly into the path of Choe Ju Song who was brave enough to volley beyond the oncoming Gyorgy Szekely.

It was parity that held for a matter of seconds, though. Hungary's next foray forward saw Krisztian Tamas charge down the left – where the first goal emanated from – and Zsolt Kalmar did well to climb highest when surrounded by goalkeeper and defender to reclaim the lead.

Korea could have gone in level on terms, with Ju Song spurning a great chance, but after the break the game got away from them. The game was effectively over when the pair who made the first goal combined again superbly. Zsoter plucked the ball out of the air and playing it into the feet of Mervo. He turned on a sixpence fantastically and slotted it into the corner.

An error by Jung Hun made the game safe as he misjudged a bouncing free-kick to allow David Forgacs to head into an empty net, but icing on the cake came as Mervo completed his treble. Picking the ball up in the area he danced around Jong Hun with sublimely quick feet, before curling in from a tight angle. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by iogbaraegbe(m): 10:26am On Jun 01, 2015
PRoTIPS is a group of professional punters who believe in sharing their day to day soccer predictions with other punters thereby learning from each other daily. If you are interested in joining the group, kindly send your name and phone no to +2348170828955. Please strictly on SMS . . .

Keep ur BetSlip Green . . .
PRoTIPS.

https://www.nairaland.com/2349971/join-protips-whatsapp-lets-send
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by SambisaaForest: 10:34am On Jun 01, 2015
mikron:
that means u live in Abuja? I don't think that is true cos Nigerians love visitors. In fact most Nigerians go Gaga listening to Ghanaian and makosa music. I don't believe u bro
no,I live in Accra. I guess when you mention 'visitors' you meant white folks,huh? Those are the only ones nigerians love grin if you are a black American, even an Arab, then most Nigerians will worship you grin woe betide you if you are an African from an African country. Unless you stand up to them, nigerians will try to treat you like dirt grin
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by naturalwaves: 10:40am On Jun 01, 2015
kannymoore:

It's the same thing i'm saying.

Sokari is the best central midfielder in Naija by all stats...sheilding the ball, assists and passing accuracy.

He couldn't do jack-sheit when he came on!

Did you see some of the brazilian tackles?

Some of them were so neatly done that I found myself clapping in admiration against my will. grin

Truth be told.. Alfa wouldn't have stood a fighting chance in today's match. wallai.
yes boss. We should have jam-packed the midfield and maybe play Nwakali too or what options were available?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:43am On Jun 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Honduras make their chances count[/size]

In an evenly-matched encounter, Honduras ran out 4-3 winners over Uzbekistan in the teams’ Group F opener in Christchurch.

The game had entertainment: goals and gifts in equal measure, which contributed to a thrilling 90 minutes. The difference was efficiency. Honduras took their chances when it mattered.

It was they who had the best possible start to the game when Jhow Benavidez gave them the lead after just four minutes with a well-executed free-kick. The Honduran captain curled the ball over the wall and into the top-left corner with Sarvar Karimov rooted to the spot.

Sixteen minutes later, the Central Americans’ advantage was doubled. Deybi Flores found Bryan Rochez who did well to hold off his marker and prod the ball past the advancing keeper. The Hondurans were delighted, as well they might have been, as their two chances had yielded two goals.

In contrast, the young Uzbeks were cutting frustrated figures but their efforts were rewarded in the 31st minute when Otabek Shukurov threaded a perfectly weighted ball for Dostonbek Khamdamov to run on to. The Bunyodkor midfielder showed great composure to fire a low shot into the bottom corner.

The Asian side were unfortunate not to draw themselves level six minutes before the break when their captain Javokhir Sokhibov crashed a powerful shot against the face of the crossbar from the right touchline.

Half-time came at the right moment for Honduras and it was they who scored the first goal of the second half. Kevin Alvarez firing another direct free-kick past Karimov.

From then on, it was Uzbekistan who did all the pressing. Sokhibov and Eldor Shomurodov both had good chances, but missed the target as time ticked away for the Asians.

However, they pulled one back 11 minutes from time when Eldor Shomurodo was left with the simplest of chances after some great work by Odiljon Hamrobekov and Zabikhillo Urinboev.

The grandstand finish was set-up and Uzbekistan could have got their equaliser when Shomurodov’s curling shot from 12 yards was well saved by Roberto Lopez.

The sucker punch came in the second minute of additional time when Rochez outpaced Ibrokhim Abdullaev to afford him a one-on-one opportunity which the forward took well.

Yet, Uzbekistan kept going and were given a consolation through Uriboev with almost the last action of the match, but it was too little, too late. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 10:49am On Jun 01, 2015
linked:
Thats actually the least problem if it was a problem at all.. .. Even with Idowu in the pitch the eagles would have still lost with the way the whole team played.

The tactics employed for the game was too rudimentary... The players were not complementing each other... I wonder what would have happened if yahaya was benched for Moses as some people here wanted.... Na die e for be..

When you have a good sriker like Isaac you dont need wingers who can score a hat-trick.. You need midfielders who can provide assist and shield the defense line... .

Manu no hear grin

Bro just listen to yourself self . U said they need midfieders who can give passes to a reliable striker ? If u read my comment throughly , I said d role of Idowu would have been to shield d defense and this will allow d midfielders to play their role well . I ve been following this team since their under 17 and Idowu has been a pivot to the team . It was nau tactics that failed him , he had d intention of playing pure attacking football , and if u look at Ifeanyi Mathew and Ifeanyi ifeayi. They do well in attacking more , their role majorly is to lob balls to d attack line also create chances but the style failed manu .
I hope next match will not be dsame

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 10:58am On Jun 01, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Brazil triumph in Taranaki thriller[/size]

Brazil have beaten Nigeria 4-2 in dramatic and hugely entertaining game at New Plymouth's Taranaki Stadium. This meeting of Africa's champions and the five-time U-20 World Cup winners more than lived up to its billing, with the South Americans triumphing in a game that neither side deserved to lose.

It was a game with everything: brilliant goals, outrageous skill, flowing moves and, at the end, a horrible error. The crowd were enraptured from the word go and they had a goal to celebrate inside four minutes.

Judivan, who would go on to play a huge role, slipped in Joao Pedro and the overlapping right-back's low cross set up Gabriel Jesus for a crisp close-range finish. Brazil were good value for this early lead, having started the sharper of the two sides, but it wasn't long before Nigeria began flexing their muscles.

Indeed, the Flying Eagles had already hit the post when they drew level just seven minutes after going behind. It was a wonderful goal too, with Musa Yahaya sending an outrageous 'rabona' through ball for Success Isaac to race through, round the keeper and slot coolly into the unguarded net.

That sent Nigerian confidence soaring and they added a second after 28 minutes with yet another well-crafted strike. This time the net bulged at the end of a slick breakaway, one which culminated in Yahaya cutting inside past the challenge of Jorge and crashing a shot high into the net from the edge of the box.

This was already a wonderful game but if the crowd thought it couldn't get any better, they were wrong. Parity was restored before half-time as Gabriel Jesus, the scorer of Brazil's opener, turned provider with another brilliant pass. His back-heel through the legs of Onyinye Ndidi was measured perfectly into the path of Judivan, who steadied himself and fired low and powerfully beyond the helpless Joshua Enaholo.

The electrifying standard wasn't quite maintained in the second half, but there were still two more goals to savour - both from Brazil.

First, Boschilia put them in front just before the hour-mark with a low 25-yard shot that swerved wildly before clipping the inside of the post on its way in. Then a calamitous error by Joshua Enaholo gifted Brazil the points, with the goalkeeper allowing the ball to squirm through legs and enabling Judivan to smash the ball home from a few centimetres out. [/b]
JoeJoe are you their? Oya every body come out of your hiding places. The journey has just began.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:03am On Jun 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Goal records fall as giants flex muscles[/size]

After intrigue aplenty in the opening two rounds of matches New Zealand 2015, the fireworks came out on Day 3. Goals, and a record number of them, were its defining feature, with 28 - 12 more than on the first two matchdays combined - flying in at both Christchurch and New Plymouth.

Amid the high scorers there were also some big winners, with Brazil taking a crucial foothold in Group E after edging a wonderful game in which Nigeria also contributed hugely. Both must now look to catch section leaders Hungary, though, whose hat-trick hero Bence Mervo inspired an impressive 5-1 demolition of Korea DPR.

Germany were even more handsome winners, racking up eight goals to give Fiji the toughest of baptisms in their first match at a FIFA tournament. And Honduras were also left celebrating after emerging triumphant by the odd goal in seven in the tightest encounter of an unforgettable day.

Results
Group E
Nigeria 2-4 Brazil
Korea DPR 1-5 Hungary

Group F
Germany 8-1 Fiji
Uzbekistan 3-4 Honduras

Goal of the day
Nigeria 1-1 Brazil, Success Isaac (10)
Such was the quality of the strikes on show in New Plymouth's opening match that four of the six would have been worthy contenders. Yet Success Isaac's conversion - coolly rounding the keeper and slotting past despairing covering defenders - was not what made Nigeria's equaliser so special. Rather, it was the audacious assist provided by Musa Yahaya, who split the Brazil rearguard asunder with a first-time 'rabona' pass that brought Taranaki Stadium to its feet.

Memorable moments
Winning isn't everything
Having ended the day on the receiving end of a drubbing, Fiji's squad might have been expected to form a collection of scowls and long faces. Far from it. From goalkeeper Misiwani Nairube bawling with pride during the anthems to Iosefu Verevou wildly celebrating his consolation goal, there was only pride and joy on show. Fiji, even in defeat, had made history. As coach Frank Farina said: "This game, that goal, meant so much for the country."

Set-piece specialists
As the scoreline and evenly balanced match stats suggest, there was very little to separate Honduras and Uzbekistan in Christchurch's later game. What proved decisive was the Central Americans' dead-ball prowess, with two of their players competing for the honour of scoring the game's best free-kick. Captain Jhow Benavidez led by example with a textbook curling effort in the first half, sent over the wall and in at the top-left corner. But Kevin Alvarez's powerful second-half effort - from closer in, but bent around the wall and into the opposite corner - was just as impressive. Future opponents should be wary of conceding anything within shooting distance.

Facing the music
As anyone watching will testify, today's matches were played against the musical backdrop of two very distinct sounds. In New Plymouth, it was a brass band that entertained the crowds with a few old-fashioned favourites, while the sound of Fijian beats accompanied the first of Christchurch's games. The drummer in question was 21-year-old Ashish Kumar, who told FIFA.com: "It's one of the most amazing experiences of my life to see Fiji play a World Cup. I just give them all my support I can."

Hungary's hat-trick club
It is unlikely that Hungary's Bence Mervo woke up this morning expecting to score a hat-trick in his World Cup debut. But having achieved that surprise feat, he will be doubly shocked to learn the elite club he has now joined. While none of his countrymen have previously scored a treble in a U-20 finals, three have managed the feat at the senior event. And by shining today Mervo now finds himself in the company of Laszlo Kiss - the first substitute to score a World Cup hat-trick - and national icons Florian Albert and Sandor Kocis.

The stat
28 - The remarkable number of goals, an average of seven per match, that were served up today. This set a new U-20 World Cup record for a single matchday, surpassing even the figures registered when eight games would be played at this tournament in a single day. Germany did most to set this new benchmark by registering their biggest-ever win at the U-20 finals.

The words
"My mind was off. The ball was wet and I just couldn't get my grip properly. I must do better."
Nigeria goalkeeper Joshua Enaholo on his crucial mistake against Brazil.

Next matchday
Tuesday 2 June 2015 (all times local)

Group A (Whangarei & Auckland)
Myanmar-Ukraine, 13.00
New Zealand-USA, 19.00

Group B (Wellington)
Austria-Panama 16.00
Argentina-Ghana 19.00 [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by jobsat34(m): 11:11am On Jun 01, 2015
anyone with the match highlight should help post the link...

Rds,
jobsat34
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by terzurum5(m): 11:12am On Jun 01, 2015
Brazil Coach: How We Beat Nigeria
1 Jun 2015 Headlines
Brazil coach Rogerio Micale has explained that a change of tactics at half-time led to his side’s 4-2 victory over Nigeria in a Group E New Zealand 2015 U-20 World Cup clash on Monday.
Micale said atthe post-match press conference that his team offered the Flying Eagles of Nigeria too much space in the first half, particularly through the midfield.
“We had expected to face a really good side in Nigeria and we weren’t mistaken on that front,” he told the FIFA website. “We started very well, but then the opposition gradually got on top and prevented us from playing our game.
We shored things up in the middle of the park again in the second half and then looked to exploit the wings, which paid dividends.
“We will keep playing like this [high defensive line] and hopefully we will improve in the other matches because the guys will be more used to each other.”
Brazil face Hugary in their next game on Thursday.​
www.completesportsnigeria.com/brazil-coach-how-we-beat-nigeria/
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 11:19am On Jun 01, 2015
jobsat34:
anyone with the match highlight should help post the link...

Rds,
jobsat34

Match highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU7MpwqDboI

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 11:21am On Jun 01, 2015
safarigirl, where art thou?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by jobsat34(m): 11:23am On Jun 01, 2015

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:23am On Jun 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Quotes of the day[/size]

Nigeria-Brazil: Quotes

Nigeria coach Manu Garba
It's a huge disappointment. We carved out the better chances in the first half and we should have led at the break. The first 45 minutes reflected what we're capable of. We simply made two mistakes that cost us dearly in the second period. All in all we played our part in a really great match and I'd like to congratulate Brazil on their victory; they're a very good team.

Brazil coach Rogerio Micale
We had expected to face a really good side in Nigeria and we weren't mistaken on that front. We started very well, but then the opposition gradually got on top and prevented us from playing our game. We shored things up in the middle of the park again in the second half and then looked to exploit the wings, which paid dividends.

Germany-Fiji: Quotes

Frank Farina, Fiji coach
I was pleased with our performance. We did not lose discipline and structure and that was important. It was 14 to 15 minutes before Germany got their first goal. Germany were getting possession but not hurting us. Playing Germany is a new level for my players, we knew it was always going to be difficult. There was a big improvement by my team in the second half. My players were not really nervous as they did not know what to expect, instead there was a lot of excitement. They have a craving for more exposure to international football – playing Germany is something they will always remember and talk about. It was a great learning curve and experience for my team. They gave 92 minutes of good football, there will always be some mistakes but as long as there is 100 per cent effort that's ok.

Frank Wormuth, Germany coach
We are content with the result, especially the first half. It took time for us to settle but the set-piece goal [to open the scoring] helped. In the second half we were surprised as Fiji put us under pressure us and the second-half goal showed this. We can take from the match that there is still space to develop our game in the second half. We gained self confidence in the first half but Fiji played better and better in the second period and pressured us.

Quotes: Uzbekistan-Honduras

Ravshan Khaydarov, Uzbekistan coach
This was not a good first result for us. Our team lost concentration and there were a lot of mistakes in the first half by our goalkeeper and defenders. We have a lot to work on. The first game is always hard and difficult but, for us, this first match was even more important than the others. That said, we still believe that we have a good chance to qualify with two more games to go in the first round.

Jorge Jimenez, Honduras coach
We are really happy with the result and pleased with the whole team performance. We have a strong team and were very clinical in front of goal. But Honduras still have a lot to give to this tournament. After defeating New Zealand 2-1 in the warm-up matches, we knew we were ready to go. We missed out on the previous two editions of the U-20 World Cup and have never made it past the first round, so we want to make history for our country.

Quotes: Korea DPR-Hungary

Korea DPR coach An Ye-Gun
We did everything wrong. Now we have to go right back to the drawing board and prepare meticulously for the next match. We didn't know that much about our opponents, but the scoreline speaks volumes for their quality: Hungary are an excellent team.

Hungary coach Bernd Storck
You never know what to expect in your opening match. I think we started the encounter on the right foot. We controlled the game until the half-hour mark when the North Koreans scored, but fortunately we were able to regain the lead a minute later. We made a few changes at half-time and I think they paid off because we then took command of proceedings from the 46th minute through to the 90th. We played well and scored goals: I'm really pleased. [/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by mrham03(m): 11:23am On Jun 01, 2015
ghana v argentina tomorrow at 7am naija time. Watch on gtv, nta, eurosport etc. The black satellites will make africa proud again like we always do.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:24am On Jun 01, 2015
Daninya11:
Make I chuk mouth for this matter..
G.K-For now, Enaholo still remains the best of the trio on present form. He made gross errors in the game but I believe he will learn from his mistake. Now is the time, he needs the help of a psychologist .. He will go on to do well and we will sing his praise.
Defense - mustapha was the weakest link in the defense, for those asking why he was dropped for okon the guy proved better than him. Did you guys noticed that at the UAE, Okon was also the weakest link?? If I were to play against Nigeria at the UAE I will attack with my Arsenal through the left back. Most coaches at the UAE failed to utilize this but choose to cripple our midfield which was our strength. Major clubs face the problem of a left back. If he is to be dropped, Nwakali should be played at left back.
Midfield - I don't know much about Sokari, so I can't vouch for him. I knew we needed a shield for the back 4,Idowu comes to mind. Take it or leave it, he does the dirty job and screen the back 4.he is a unsung hero who sacrifices for the team . Idowu should play 4.Ifeanyi Matthews or Sokari can complete the park in midfield.
Attack - Taiwo Awoniyi had not forgotten how to miss goals, he cannot be forgiven so he should sit on the bench. Sucess Isaac should play headlong as the hitman. Iheanacho should play from the flanks. Yahaya / Moses should play from the flanks too..

Super subs-Ezeh, Bulbwa, Ezeh, Simon

Nigeria will bounce back. In 96 Olympic games, we lost to Brasil, 1 - 0 and we beat them 4-3 at the semi - finals.

We will have our revenge Soonest..

One love...

I was just thinking the same thing. *smiles*

Anyway, The 'Super' Flying Eagles is not a team unaware of what they can do. They know, as I know, what they are capable of. This is exactly the setting that makes them unbeatable 4 d rest of the tournament... Coz Nigeria will 'inevitably' lift the trophy come June 20.
This 'defeat' has made The Team much stronger and deadlier... Hahaha.
We will get our tactics right... The brazilians I watched are 'no match' for Nigeria on a good day... Enaholo, Mustapha(too much pixs cost am... E be lyk say he still pose 4 pixs on d pitch sef... Anyway, he's 4given coz I knw he'll come back stronger) and Ifeanyi Ifeanyi let the team down. But it's ok... WE ARE A TEAM. WE LOSE AS A TEAM. WE STRIVE AS A TEAM. WE FIGHT AS A TEAM. WE WIN AS A TEAM. WHAT A FIRST HALF WE HAD... These boys are CHAMPIONS-IN-WAITING... I BEAT MY CHEST TO SAY NO TEAM, NOT EVEN THE 'LUCKY PHYSICAL-PLAYING, SIMULATION-CREATING, TIME-WASTING AND ROUGH-TACKLING' BRAZILIANS WILL SURVIVE THE NEXT 'SUPER' DIMENSION OF SOCCER HEAT & POWER DA LIKES OF KELECHI IHEANACHO(boyyy!!! That 1st half curler was messi-like... And that pass to Yahaya... Breathtaking! WE JUST DEY START... World aint seen nuffin yet...), MUSA YAHAYA(that pass to success was iniesta-like. And Heavens!!! What a goal he struck... Got a sweet pass frm Nacho, nutmegged a df, picked his angle and let fly a screamer...hehehe... Watch out!), ISAAC SUCCESS (Like I've always said, He's the Beast... More of Him coming soon), MUSA MOHAMMED(this is wen true Leadership is unveiled. He will surely rise to da occasion. This is a certainty not a prophecy), WILFRED NDIDI (He was overworked vs. BRAZIL coz da dmf went to sleep... But he's the Rock of Gibraltar & will show himself mighty in defence with a dmf who knows his duties... IDOWU/NWAKALI ACTIVATED. Ifeanyi's good but was jittery... I beliv he'll be back better), TAIWO AWONIYI(yeah, he missed two major sitters and I was mad at him 4 it BUT He's still a time bomb waiting to explode and the world'll be lyk, "ADONBILIVIT!!! WHERE DID HE COME FROM? Where on earth has he been?"wink, IFEANYI MATTHEW(Wasn't at his mercurial best... BUT WATCH OUT! THIS GUY's A-GAME JUST GOT ACTIVATED), ZAHARADEEN BELLO(His calmness and positioning in df was kinda missing BUT HE'S COMING BACK IN THE VOLUME!!!), JOSHUA ENAHOLO(I UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED... In my medical school, a brilliant chap I know had it bad in his 1st C.A. scoring below his standards, 55%. But he knew who he was and he had gr8 mental strength. HE MADE A STRONG COMEBACK IN DA 2ND C.A. And took things on from there. HIS SCORE? 97%... HE DUSTED EVERY1. 2nd place was 30 mks below him. So wat happened? He blacked out(went blank). Big stage 'what if' fears, Tension &clumsiness/mistakes tendency set in... But he bounced back. Same will happen to Enaholo, if not ALAMPASU IS READY TO POUNCE).... AMONG OTHERS(our rich Bench) WILL UNLEAH FROM NOW ON(EYES ON June 4th).

I EXPECT COMEBACK 'CHAMPIONS' attitude 4m PICTURE BOY, MUSTAPHA ABDULLAHI. If he wanna take sweet Victory pixs & capture real moments of glory, then HE WILL SURELY STEP IT UP. Ifeanyi Ifeanyi will improve too, I HOPE(HE'S THE ONLY ONE I'M NOT TOO SURE OF BUT I EXPECT IMPROVED RESPONSE, Odawise IDOWU OR NWAKALI STEPS IN).

GO GO GO 'SUPER' FLYING EAGLES!!!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by LeeCodeman: 11:30am On Jun 01, 2015
A crisis meeting was called after the match and Manu Garba bore his mind. He gave them a tongue-lash. Asked them to shape up or ship out.

The tournament just started, guys. We are winning the trophy.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by linked: 11:34am On Jun 01, 2015
lexyman:

Bro just listen to yourself self[b]
. U said they need midfieders who can give passes to a reliable striker ? If u read my comment throughly , I said d role of Idowu would have been to shield d defense and this will allow d midfielders to play their role well . I ve been following this team since their under 17 and Idowu has been a pivot to the team . It was nau tactics that failed him , he had d intention of playing pure attacking football , and if u look at Ifeanyi Mathew and Ifeanyi ifeayi. They do well in attacking more , their role majorly is to lob balls to d attack line also create chances but the style failed manu .
I hope next match will not be dsame
You are trying too hard.... Relax.... Idowu is not a magician.... the '' SYSTEM '' failed... This isn't about Idowu

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:36am On Jun 01, 2015
mijestic:
The NFF should include Manu Garba in the list of Nigerian coaches to go for refresher courses. We lost the game to superior tactics. I thought Manu spewed a lot of his tactics b4 the match. He talked too much and boasted of having a stronger team. Same with the players. Football is played on the pitch and a formation board and not in the media. Also, I noticed that the same boy Mustapha (picture boy) who we have been worrying about losing concentration did just that. He was one of the weakest link in the team. The players need to put gadgets, cameras aside and concentrate on the reason why they are in NZ. All these taking of pictures here and there is distracting the team. On the part of we fans, this is a lesson for us that we shouldn't hype a good team unnecessarily but stand by them in difficulties. That's d evidence of a true fan.

Picture boy was not the weakest Enaholo and Awoniyi were by far. Abdulaihi wasn't up to par but he didn't miss sitters or let in goals that even oga Ojo wouldn't dare concede.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:37am On Jun 01, 2015
LeeCodeman:
Mehn...we need to replace Enaholo. He was poor in aerial balls. He was poor in his kicks. He was poor in ground balls. He was poor in his positioning. He gave away two goals in the second half. The defence was bad, but we'd have come out with a draw if he did his own work well.

True talk Sir. True talk...

But I BELIEVE A TRUE CHAMPION IS NOT AFRAID OF LOSING. WE ARE BOUNCING BACK... Hahaha...
GO GO GO GO GO GO GO 'SUPER' FLYING EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by wordychap: 12:08pm On Jun 01, 2015
mrham03:
lol, dont u believe in ur team anymore? They can beat germany. Fiji isnt a strong team.
leave that thing, this Nigeria team is just an average team

(1) (2) (3) ... (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.