Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,698 members, 7,851,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:15 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (482767 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 7:30pm On Feb 01, 2015
Generals02:

Hehehe you didnt go and watch our rivals Ghana thrash EG grin Awoniyi is actually improving. I'm surprised. With more hard work he will get there.
even if it was SE playing, I wouldn't trade the U-20 for them, talk less Black Stars.

I loved Awoniyi from the first U-17 game I saw him play in, he came in as Isaac's sub then and I thought 'aww, who's this cute lil boy?'...so glad he's getting better and went from a sub to an integral part of the team

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2015
A full complement of Manu's team will be very difficult to beat by anyone including the super eagles.. I still see weaknesses particularly in defence. Abdullah Alfa was careless on the ball when he came on. I am not convinced by Aggrey.

Overall good display..
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 8:09pm On Feb 01, 2015
What a climax to the competition. well done guys. And that referee dat always give freekick instead of penalty in the box, he did it against enyimba and today again. keep it up, they will deal with u wen d league starts. Olodo!

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 8:16pm On Feb 01, 2015
Congrats to the Nigerian National Teams in the Super 6 tournament. This was a fantastic preparation but I would like to see our boys get tough friendly matches against tough oppositions.

A tour against the U20 and U23 sides of top African teams will be an adequate test for this boys. Also games against top quality African Club sides.

Either way, Kudos to the NFF for given our boys adequate preparations.

FLY EAGLES FLY.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:42pm On Feb 01, 2015
[b]Dream Team, Flying Eagles Share The Spoils

The Flying Eagles held Dream Team VI to a thrilling 3-3 draw in the last match of the Super Six competition.

The Flying Eagles made an attacking start to the match, but both Musa Mohammed and Bernard Bulbwa were repelled by the Dream Team VI back four.

Tiongoli Tonbara and Godwin Saviour were dangerous outlets for the U23 side in the opening exchanges of the thriller.

Flying Eagles weren't afraid to ambush their brothers and they continued to look the more likely to score as the half went on.

Two minutes before the half hour mark, Taiwo Awoniyi held up play and set up strike partner Prince Aggrey, who had no problem shooting past Emmanuel Daniel.

Daniel kept the U23 team in the game when he acrobatically tipped away Awoniyi's shot.

Bulbwa set up Awoniyi in the half-hour mark after a quick break, but it was an outstanding save by the keeper.

New Enyimba International Football Club signing Peter Onyekachi, who was introduced in place of Oluwafemi Ajayi punished the wastefulness of the
U20 team with the equaliser for the Dream Team VI.

The lively Saviour exploited the channels. His pass found the dangerous Onyekachi and the all action point man fired into the net.

The Oliver Twist in Saviour asked for more. The winger's cross hit the arm of Bello Zaharadeen, prompting FIFA-Badged Referee Anietie Ferdinand Udoh to point to the penalty spot.

Etebo Oghenekaro dispatched the spot kick perfectly and the first stanza ended 2-1 in favour of the Dream Team VI.

The game turned again nine minutes into the second half at 2-2 when Bulbwa struck from a goal mouth scramble.

Sunday's contest appeared to offer a glimpse into the future of the two sides, with both teams having impressed with talented players.

Once again the Flying Eagles were caught napping, with Etebo grabbing his second goal of the match.

The unmarked Etebo stabbed home at the near post as he benefitted from a right wing cross.

Flying Eagles upped the tempo and hit the leveller for the second time in the game, with substitute Chidera's finishing from Mohammed's cross.

Awoniyi should have given the U20 team the winner in the 81st minute as he surged onto a long pass, but he was crowded out by the U23 defenders.

Fans at the Abuja National Stadium relished every moment of the tantalising spectacle.

They hailed the quality of soccer exhibited by the two sides.

The Flying Eagles ended the tournament as winners with 13 points, while the Dream Team VI finished second with 9 points.
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
[b]Moses Scores First Hat-Trick For Gent

K.A.A Gent forward, Moses Simon, went home with the match ball after scoring a hat-trick during his side's 3-3 draw with Sporting Lokeren.

However, the Nigerian will be disappointed by his team's defence, as thrice he gave them the lead but Lokeren profited from poor defending by Gent to steal a point from a game they could easily have lost.

The 19-year-old. making his first start for his new side after his transfer from AS Trencin in January, took just six minutes to make his mark but his strike was cancelled out by teammate Rami Gershon who scored an own goal five minutes later.

Moses response was to give his side the lead again in the 17th minute but once again Lokeren levelled through Kilan Oveirmere with just one minute to the half time break.

In the second half he once again proved his abilities in front of goal, scoring his and his team's third of the game but his joy was short lived as Hans Vaneken drew Lokeren level for the third time just two minutes later.

The three goals are his first set of goals for Gent, after scoring over 20 goals for Trencin in just a year in the Slovakian top flight league.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:57pm On Feb 01, 2015
[b]Super 6: Controversies hit as tournament ends

Two controversies have sprung up to cloud the Super 6 Tournament as the event ends at the Mainbowl of the Abuja stadium on Sunday.

The first is the decision of the LMC to allow Samson Siasia field a new team, to avoid the 'senior' players being disgraced by the rampaging Flying Eagles.

Provisions
The second centers around the Prize money, and who should get it.

The LMC have made provisions for the Top Three teams in the tournament to be paid a prize money.

However, since the two national teams, who are sponsored by the Federal Government, will likely emerge Top Two, the argument is that they should be discounted and the clubs, for whom the Super 6 is set up, be considered for the money.

Appearance fees
Already, there are questions over who, on behalf of the U20 and the U23 teams. collected the N2m each team was paid as appearance fees: the coaches, or the NFF?

Sources tell Futaa.com that there has been no decision yet on whether the national teams will collect the cash prize, or they will be discounted while the next three team pick up the money.
[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2015
joseph1013:
[b]Super 6: Controversies hit as tournament ends

Two controversies have sprung up to cloud the Super 6 Tournament as the event ends at the Mainbowl of the Abuja stadium on Sunday.

The first is the decision of the LMC to allow Samson Siasia field a new team, to avoid the 'senior' players being disgraced by the rampaging Flying Eagles.

Provisions
The second centers around the Prize money, and who should get it.

The LMC have made provisions for the Top Three teams in the tournament to be paid a prize money.

However, since the two national teams, who are sponsored by the Federal Government, will likely emerge Top Two, the argument is that they should be discounted and the clubs, for whom the Super 6 is set up, be considered for the money.

Appearance fees
Already, there are questions over who, on behalf of the U20 and the U23 teams. collected the N2m each team was paid as appearance fees: the coaches, or the NFF?

Sources tell Futaa.com that there has been no decision yet on whether the national teams will collect the cash prize, or they will be discounted while the next three team pick up the money.
[/b]
make dem just jejely give my U-20 boys their money....as for those yeye club sides wey no sabi ball, make dem no come chop another man hustle.

That Omego guy broke his head on top this invitational, each of the boys went through rigorous training and their young bodies were bulldozed by those of grown men that have been eating akpu and pounded yam for over 12 years. Imagine my little Chidera that had just started getting used to the Portuguese winter and their food only to come and be wrestling ball from those sufferhead NPL guys...worst of all their bad belle for make dem dey use style attack those boys because they dem never fit go jand go play angry.

Na him dem wan do mago mago, chop money wey dem no hustle for? angry make dem stop that kain mumu talk

4 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 11:14pm On Feb 01, 2015
If the U20 make it to the world cup, Manu Garba will have a big headache on his hands..

Simon Moses, Isaac Success, Iheanacho, Al hassan Ibrahim, Nwakali, abubakar , etc

The fight for shirts alone na die..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by hismail1(m): 11:55pm On Feb 01, 2015
I've Not heard lately about this guy that plays for Chelsea academy
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by fujirice: 10:37am On Feb 02, 2015
safarigirl:
make dem just jejely give my U-20 boys their money....as for those yeye club sides wey no sabi ball, make dem no come chop another man hustle.

That Omego guy broke his head on top this invitational, each of the boys went through rigorous training and their young bodies were bulldozed by those of grown men that have been eating akpu and pounded yam for over 12 years. Imagine my little Chidera that had just started getting used to the Portuguese winter and their food only to come and be wrestling ball from those sufferhead NPL guys...worst of all their bad belle for make dem dey use style attack those boys because they dem never fit go jand go play angry.

Na him dem wan do mago mago, chop money wey dem no hustle for? angry make dem stop that kain mumu talk
As in ehn? Imagine that kind yeye talk? Make them give those boys there prize money jare!

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by jobsat34(m): 10:49am On Feb 02, 2015
hismail1:
I've Not heard lately about this guy that plays for Chelsea academy

which of them??...
solanke... switching between u-18 and u-21, he has over 20 goals to his credit... already played for england youth set up, so naija can only call him up for the main national team
aina... playing for u-18 team, not much to say about him.. as in, not spectacular
makanjuola... playing for u-15/16 category.. skillful but play school kid football... naija play street soccer.. grin grin
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:57pm On Feb 02, 2015
[b]Awoniyi Voted Best Player In Super 6 Tournament

Kalmar youth teamer Taiwo Awoniyi has refused to admit that he has a lot of weight on his shoulders going into the African Youth Championship next month.

Having been voted the most outstanding player at the Super 6 tournament, all eyes will be on the attacker in Senegal, as he is expected to lead the charge for goals for Manu Garba's boys in the absence of Kelechi Iheanacho and Isaac Success.

The Imperial Academy, Ilorin product has publicly showered praise on the Flying Eagles handlers after the team upset the favourites, including the Dream Team and Kano Pillars, to win the Super 6.

''All thanks to God that I won the top player award, and great kudos to our coaches, who always bring out the best in us,'' says Taiwo Awoniyi to SL10.ng.

''I am very happy for this award. I am not under pressure to deliver at the African Youth Championship.

''Every player here with the help of the wonderful and great (dads) we have here as coaches, we are capable of delivering in any match.

''The aim of the team is to win all matches that come our way.''

Taiwo Awoniyi's display at the 2013 Fifa Under 17s caught the eye of a plethora of clubs in Europe, but it is Kalmar who have won the race for his signature, with the youngster expected to sign professional terms in August.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 9:00pm On Feb 02, 2015
Assistant Coach of Flying Eagles, Nduka
Ugbade has predicted that Nigeria will win
2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar, saying part of
the age grade teams’ coaches plans is to
prepare their current players for the
challenges. He also tells RICHARD JIDEAKA
in this interview that the target of the U-20
team is to win the AYC in Senegal and go to
the World Cup as African champions…

Congratulations on your victory at the just
concluded Super Six tournament, what is the
secret?

Thanks. There is no secret about this feat
but we got rewarded for our hard work, focus
and style of football. I think this six team
tournament has afforded us the opportunity
to see what we wanted to see in the boys.
We have been able to notice some flaws and
errors. We were able to correct some in the
course this tournament and the ones we
cannot do now, we will try to do before the
Africa Youth Championship in Senegal.

Will beating the likes of Nigeria’s league
champions Kano Pillars and Federation Cup
winners Enyimba in the six team tournament
boost your team going into AYC?

The good thing about this tournament is
that it afforded the chance to test what we
have been practicing for a period of time in
camp. We were watching out for possession
of the boys on the ball, positional play, unity,
how we press when not with the ball and
how we defend under pressure. Pillars and
Enyimba no doubt are big clubs and for us to
beat them will definitely give our boys the
confidence they need ahead of the AYC in
Senegal.

From what we have seen here, it looks like
you have a deliberate plan not to rely too
much on the squad that won the FIFA U-17
World Cup in 2013, why this decision?

Yes, because most of these boys you are
talking about are too young and some of
them have gone abroad, so getting them
anytime we need them may not be that easy.
Again we are introducing new talents
because the AYC is not in FIFA calendar and
the clubs abroad are not compelled to
release their players for the tournament. In
view of this, we have to build a strong team
at home that will be able to compete with
the best. We are also aware that getting
these players from extreme cold weather to
extreme hot may affect the team.

So you are not going to have the majority of
Golden Eaglets players that won the U-17
World Cup in 2013 for the AYC tournament?

Definitely, we will not have all of them
available for the AYC for obvious reasons.
Like I said earlier, their clubs, forms and
commitment will determine their fate in the
team.

How would you explain why some of the
players who honoured your invitation were
not given much time to prove what they can
offer?

It has to do with their fitness level and form.
There is no sentiment in our team selection.
You have to prove yourself to make the
team. We in the technical crew know what
we want and what we want to achieve, so no
favouritism in the team’s selections. Play the
way we want and you are in simple.

Can this team win the AYC in Senegal, given
the fact that you may not have the full
complement of your Europe based players?

I won’t tell you anything contrary because
our focus is to win the AYC and go to the
World Cup as African champions. Yes, we
would win the AYC. You see, we are doing
something which I hope the Super Eagles can
benefit from. We just have to play more on
information than playing on formation. We
are equally working hard to make sure we
produce future Eagles for the nation. Football
is dynamic and we have to keep pace or we
fall away from track.

The belief is that your team has spent more
time in camp and that is why they were able
to perform better than other teams in the Glo
Super Six, how would you react to this?

That is just an excuse. The truth is that we
are better than them because we are national
team. We approach all the teams we have
played with different game plan and I believe
if they had beaten us, they won’t be talking
about not having enough training before this
six team competition. If they are ill prepared,
they should also agree that they are more
matured than us. I think it was victories for
youth over experience.

The players that won the U-17 World Cup in
2013 are now in U-20 team; do you think
they can progress into Super Eagles to win
the World Cup in 2022?

This question is like you read my thoughts
and our hope. If you go to my hotel room, I
have a replica of the World Cup and I am
optimistic that by 2022, Nigeria will win the
FIFA senior World Cup. But this is like saying
that a nest is created for something. It is
only when the design is finished that one can
say yes it is ready for the safety of the eggs
that the bird will lay there. For that reason,
we are taking control of our destiny by
preparing these young guys for a dream.
There are three levels for this dream; a level
where you compete for fun, the second level
is competing for laurels and the third is
training for high performance. That level will
come after these guys have passed this U-20
stage to U-23 and getting set for the senior
national team, Surely, surely, I strongly
believe without doubt that Nigeria can just go
on to win the 2022 world cup. But then there
must be continuity in the administration and
coaching in football in the country to achieve
that.

So will it be right to say that the Golden
Eaglets class of 2013 will form the bedrock
of the team that will win the2022 World Cup
for Africa and Nigeria?

Yes, if they remain focused and keep on
developing their game. But they must not
give themselves undue pressure. They need
to play lots of games for clubs and country
to gain competitive edge, so that under
intensity, you are able to think very well to
create a balance psychologically and move
on.

Why has Nigeria not been able to win the
World Cup after doing so well at age grade
levels, winning the U-17 thrice, reaching the
final in the U-20 World Cup and winning the
U-23 Olympic gold?

At the level of finished product, we tend to
finish well. We have not won because we
have not planned properly and we do not
have continuity in both administration and
coaching, if we have long time plan and
execution, we should have won the world
Cup.

Don’t you think it is due to age cheat?

I don’t think it is due to age cheats. I think it
is because the talents we have are not
nurtured in the acts of science of football.
Age cheat has become thing of the past now
with the coming of MRI. Age cheating does
not come to bear in football like before again.

Thank you for talking to Complete Sports.
It is my pleasure to talk to you.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:02pm On Feb 02, 2015
[b]Ezeh: Flying Eagles Can Cope Without Iheanacho

Porto Under 19 striker Chidera Ezeh has opined that the Flying Eagles can cope with the absence of Kelechi Iheanacho and Isaac Success at the African Youth Championship.

Golden Ball winner at the last Fifa Under 17s Iheanacho is sidelined until March with an ankle injury while Granada chiefs looked the other way when contacted by the Nigeria Federation, as the date for the tournament is outside the Fifa calendar.

One of the players expected to step up in the absence of both players is Chidera Ezeh, and he showed a glimmer of his potential after scoring two goals at the recently concluded Super 6 tourney.

''Yes we will miss Iheanacho and Success but Nigeria has a lot of talents, so we will work very hard with the players we have now,'' Chidera Ezeh said to SL10.ng.

''By His grace we will get there. Our aim is to win every match as it comes, that's the tradition here.

''I'm working very hard to be scoring with every opportunity that comes in a game, it only takes hard work and atom of luck to get there.''

The 17 - year - old appeared 6 times for the Golden Eaglets at the 2013 Fifa Under 17s, scoring in the semifinal against Sweden.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 9:08pm On Feb 02, 2015
[b]Siasia Compliments Flying Eagles

Dream Team coach Samson Siasia has saluted the Flying Eagles after they emerged champions of the 2015 Super 6 tournament in Abuja.

Siasia’s U23 team could only secure a 3-3 draw against the Flying Eagles in the final game of the mini-tournament on Sunday, coming second to their junior counterparts.

And Siasia says he has seen enough of the Flying Eagles to know they are a very good side.

“They are good. They are a very good team and I congratulate them. I see that Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade have both done some tremendous work to have produced this team.

“They gave us a very good fight and they were always attacking us and we almost paid the price, and I will say I am happy with what I have seen,” Siasia told sl10.ng.

The former Flying Eagles coach also went on to state that the feat achieved by his team and the Flying Eagles go on to show the quality of talents in the country.

“When you look at our team and this Flying Eagles team, it tells you a lot about the quality of players we have in this country and it is something we should be proud of,” Siasia added.

Dream Team coach Samson Siasia has saluted the Flying Eagles after they emerged champions of the 2015 Super 6 tournament in Abuja.

Siasia’s U23 team could only secure a 3-3 draw against the Flying Eagles in the final game of the mini-tournament on Sunday, coming second to their junior counterparts.

And Siasia says he has seen enough of the Flying Eagles to know they are a very good side.

“They are good. They are a very good team and I congratulate them. I see that Manu Garba and Nduka Ugbade have both done some tremendous work to have produced this team.

“They gave us a very good fight and they were always attacking us and we almost paid the price, and I will say I am happy with what I have seen,” Siasia told sl10.ng.

The former Flying Eagles coach also went on to state that the feat achieved by his team and the Flying Eagles go on to show the quality of talents in the country.

“When you look at our team and this Flying Eagles team, it tells you a lot about the quality of players we have in this country and it is something we should be proud of,” Siasia added.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 10:22am On Feb 03, 2015
Manu Garba has stressed the need to work
on the defensive line and finishing of the
team.
The Flying Eagles picked the Super 4
Invitational trophy scoring 11 goals and
conceding 5; only Enyimba best the
number of goals conceded (4), but the
Coach says more needs to be done
The Coach has also revealed he is yet to
pick his final team for the 2015 CAF U-20
African Youth Championship.
In an exclusive interview with
www.footballlive.ng, Manu Garba
expressed satisfaction with the team’s
performance considering the quality of
opposition at the Super 4, but demands a
resolute defensive line and clinical strikers.
” We can say we’re satisfied with the
performance of our players having played
against tough and very experience teams.”
” But we need to fortify our defensive line
and equally work on our goal scoring,
taking our chances and being effective at
it.”

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 10:25am On Feb 03, 2015
The final 21-man list of the Flying Eagles
will be announced soon after the team’s
final phase of camping in Banjul, Gambia. the
coaches will work with a 30-man team in
Banjul with the likelihood of players like
Isaac Success and Kelechi Iheanacho
returning to the team after missing out on
the Super 4 Invitational.
There will be very little rest for the
team after the hectic 10-day Invitational in
Abuja as they will now turn their attention
to a 2-legged test match against a team
from Ghana. Coach of the side, Manu Garba, revealed
the team’s itinerary as the kick off date for
the 2015 U-20 African Youth Championship
draws nearer.
Garba said his team will engage Ghana on
February 15th and 3 days later play the
2nd-leg of the friendly.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:24pm On Feb 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Simon, Nigeria's Ronaldo, Player Of The Week In Belgium[/size]

Moses Simon has been voted as the best player of the past week in Belgium after his impressive performance in the colors of KAA Gent.

The 18-year-old was the most outstanding player for the Buffalos as he netted a hat trick in a three-all draw against Lokeren last weekend.

The dashing winger was phenomenal for Gent in the six-goal thriller.

Making his first start for his new side after his transfer from AS Trencin in January, the Nigerian Ronaldo took just six minutes to make his mark but his strike was cancelled out by teammate Rami Gershon who scored an own goal five minutes later.

Moses response was to give his side the lead again in the 17th minute but once again Lokeren levelled through Kilan Oveirmere with just one minute to the half time break.

In the second half he once again proved his abilities in front of goal, scoring his and his team's third of the game but his joy was short lived as Hans Vaneken drew Lokeren level for the third time just two minutes later.

The three goals are his first set of goals for Gent, after scoring over 20 goals for Trencin in just a year in the Slovakian top flight league.

If Simon continues to impress with efficiency, gait and agility, he could alert elite European clubs in future.[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 4:26pm On Feb 03, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Flying Eagles To Play Two Friendlies Against Ghana[/size]

The Flying Eagles of Nigeria are set to play two friendly matches against the U20 team of Ghana this month, sl10.ng has gathered.

The Nigerian U20 boys’ team, otherwise known as the Flying Eagles, won the Super 6 tournament in Abuja on Sunday, as part of their preparations for the 2015 Africa Youth Championship.

And sl10.ng has learnt that the Nigeria Football Federation has approved a request made by the Flying Eagles coaches to have a series of more friendlies before the start of the AYC in March.

The games against the Ghana U20 are expected to be a two-legged affair, with the first in Nigeria and the return leg in Ghana.

And Flying Eagles coach, Manu Garba also confirmed to sl10.ng that they are set to play against the Ghanians on the 15th and 18th of February.

“We are likely to play Ghana on the 15th here, and play them on the 18th there in Ghana,” Manu told sl10.ng.

The Ghanaians are also preparing for the Africa Youth Championship, and they are grouped with South Africa, Mali and Zambia in group B.

The Nigerians have won the tournament a record six times, the last being in South Africa in 2011 under John Obuh.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by daveP(m): 5:00pm On Feb 03, 2015
Phephephewphew! Now i understand.

At least let us savor some sport updates on fp now. Sai and Gej till 2019 don too dey taya my eyes.....

Eyes on Chidera- Future SE captain.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:12am On Feb 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Alampasu Has Moved To Portugal's Estoril[/size]

Youthful goalkeeper Dele Alampasu has finally moved overseas after superlative showings for his country's Under-17 and U-20 teams.

The Nigeria Under-20 number one goalkeeper signed for Portuguese top flight outfit Estoril Praia on Monday 2nd February, SL10 sources have confirmed.

Alampasu, who turned 18 in December, was excellent when Nigeria won their fourth FIFA U-17 World Cup two years ago in UAE, pulling off several saves in the tournament

Alampasu was voted the best goalkeeper of the tournament; winning the Golden Glove.

The youngster was indeed a shining light in the cadet mundial as his contribution was massive in securing Nigeria a record fourth title.

He has thus joined several of his team-mates from that schoolboy team - Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Musa Yahaya, Chidera Ezeh, Chidiebere Nwakali, Taiwo Awoniyi and Aliyu Abubakar - who have moved to Europe.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:13am On Feb 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]SL10's Super Six Team Of The Tournament[/size]

There have been calls to pick all the U20 players in the list, but SL10 reporter Ademetan Abayomi feels this would not do justice to several other outstanding players who performed well during the competition.

In a 4-3-3 system, the Flying Eagles can still boast five players, with top-scorer of the tournament Christian Obiozor also making the list.

Here is the Super Six eleven compiled by SL10,

Theophilus Afelokhai - Kano Pillars

No doubt the stand out goalkeeper of the tournament. His stats speak for themselves. He had two clean sheets and made countless saves for the reigning league champions.

Musa Mohammed - Nigeria U20

The Flying Eagles skipper contributed so much from the right flank. His movement provided crucial width for the eventual winners of the Super Six. His needle-sharp reflexes and guile made him score two goals.

Mustapha Abdullahi - Nigeria U20

The youngster wasn't afraid to attack the opponent's half. He provided options when his team attacked. He didn't neglect his primary duty of defending. A player for the future.

Chinedu Udoji - Enyimba International

An old-fashioned defender who is so mean, he doesn’t just park the bus, he sticks clamps on all four wheels before throwing the keys away. Always dangerous at set pieces and a solid, secure soldier.

Akpojuvwewo Bright - Warri Wolves

A dominating presence who sniffs out danger early. Unafraid to burst out of defence and illuminating both in the air and on the ground.

Ifeanyi Ifeanyi - Nigeria U20

He was a positive addition to the Flying Eagles midfield. He was outstanding in front of the back four. His reading of the game and excellent passes was well applauded by fans and pundits.

Obinna Nwobodo - Nigeria U20

His unlimited energy is typified by the way he runs through the weak areas to spot his team mates. His piercing distribution in every game made him one of the picks of the tournament.

Sikiru Adewale - Warri Wolves

Sikiru’s pace, power and pin-point passing dictated the tempo and along with his goals he was simply brilliant. His Lampard-blend of movement and technique ensured that he netted three goals for the Seasiders in Abuja.

Etebo Oghenekaro - Nigeria U23

A world class player doesn't need too many games to show his quality. The Warri Wolves striker played one game for the team in Abuja and it was against the U20 side. Two goals in a match isn't a bad return for the highly rated forward.

Christian Obiozor - Kano Pillars

The lanky striker had an absolutely standout tournament with 4 great goals, especially the winner against Enyimba International. His pace, trickery and left foot are devastating.

Taiwo Awoniyi - Nigeria U20

The Kalmar attacker spearheaded Flying Eagles' push to the title netting two goals and accounting for some assists too. Full of energy, inspiration and doesn't lack the needed work-rate from a striker. He was voted MVP of the tournament by the League Management Company.[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:16am On Feb 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Super 4 exposes Nigeria top clubs' many failings[/size]

The just-ended Super 4 has exposed the many shortcomings of the clubs who will represent Nigeria at this year’s CAF club competitions.

Kano Pillars and Enyimba will feature in the Champions League, while Warri Wolves and Dolphins battle in the Confederation Cup.

The competition, which was expanded to take in the U20 and U23 national teams, lived up to its billing in many aspects as well as highlighted the need for the country’s top clubs to invest more in young players, rather than the usual practice of recycling old and tired legs season after season.

The Super 4 clearly showed Nigerian clubs are not doing enough scouting around the country to fish out young talents and also showcase them.

It was also obvious that the country’s flag bearers are not ready to take on the rest of the continent yet.

Good enough the competition served to alert these teams of their failings so that they could address them before they begin their international campaigns later this month.

Kano Pillars and Enyimba won two games each, lost one and drew one.

Pillars and Wolves showed they have potent attacks after they scored six goals apiece, but a weak defence after letting in six goals each.

Pillars acquisition of Christian Obiozor, who finished as top scorer of the competition with four goals, should now ease the pressure on the team’s top stars like gambo Mohammed and Rabiu Ali.

Wolves won two games and lost three, while Dolphins proved the worst team in the competition when they failed to get a point from five matches and conceded 10 goals.

Enyimba have the best defence after conceding four goals but the worst attack as they scored a mere three goals.

Pillars coach Okey Emordi said, "The tournament served as a prelude for the continental competitions. Without the competition, some of the clubs may not have had any serious pre-season competition."

Dolphins assistant coach John Apollo said the tournament has opened their eyes to the effects of the departure of some of their players on the team and that it has also enabled them to see the weaknesses of the side.

"Our greatest problem is the midfield which is the engine room of every team. A good midfield provides passes for the forward and covers the defence,” he offered.

"Dolphins would have won if the players had kept a cool head. We have made it clear that we will not entertain indiscipline which also costs us money."

Wolves coach Godwin Nosike added: "The tournament has brought out the best in our players which ordinary friendly games won't have.

“I thank the LMC and the NFF for organising this competition, they made it tougher and more competitive with the inclusion of the U23 and U20 teams."

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 8:18am On Feb 04, 2015
[size=14pt]Flying Eagles grab two Dolphins stars[/size]

Two players of Dolphins football club, Christian Pyagbara and Victor Alegbe have been 'commandeered' by the coaching crew of the National U20 team.

After an above average showing at the Super 4, both players caught the eyes of the Flying Eagles coaches who requested that they stay back to join their team.

Return

Pyagbara scored one goal for Dolphins at the Super 4, in the 4-1 loss to the Flying Eagles while Victor Alegbe did not get a goal.
Both players have since left the camp of the team, and did not return with them to Port Harcourt after the Super 4 ended in Abuja.

Alegbe played for Dolphins last season from Wikki Tourist while Pyagbara, who was at Sharks last year, is on the verge of joining the CAF Confederation Cup campaigners

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 3:23pm On Feb 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Alampasu Pleased At First Deal Abroad[/size]

Flying Eagles goal tender Dele Alampasu has expressed delights at his first professional deal abroad.

As exclusively reported by sl10.ng, the former Golden Eagles starlet joined Portuguese top flight outfit GD Estoril Praia on a four-year deal on transfer deadline day.

The 18-year-old is believed to have signed on undisclosed terms, but sources close to SL10 says the deal is good for his development.

The Oladimeji Football Academy product is delighted to join Estoril Praia and told sl10.ng: “It's a dream to sign for a good European team, and one that has ambition.”

“My first professional contract is for four years. I must admit that I'm so happy with the terms and conditions of the deal. The club officials received me well. I'm looking forward to having a good time in the city of Estoril.

The keeper will be allowed to represent Nigeria in the forthcoming African Youths Championship in Senegal, where the Flying Eagles will campaign for glory in Group A together with hosts, Senegal, Ivory Coast and Congo while the group winners and runners-up will qualify for the quadrennial football fiesta in the Oceania state, New Zealand.

Alampasu, who turned 18 in December, was excellent when Nigeria won their fourth FIFA U-17 World Cup two years ago in UAE, pulling off several saves in the tournament

He was voted the best goalkeeper of the tournament; winning the Golden Glove.

The youngster was indeed a shining light in the cadet mundial as his contribution was massive in securing Nigeria a record fourth title.

He has thus joined several of his team-mates from that schoolboy team - Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Musa Yahaya, Chidera Ezeh, Chidiebere Nwakali, Taiwo Awoniyi and Aliyu Abubakar - who have moved to Europe[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 3:27pm On Feb 04, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Garba: Will Have A Training Camp In Gambia[/size]

Flying Eagles coach, Manu Garba has told sl10.ng that his team will have a training camp in The Gambia, prior to the Africa Youth Championship in Senegal.

The Nigerian U20’s are preparing for the AYC in Senegal, and have been involved in several preparatory games for the tournament; the latest being the Super 6, which they won comfortably in Abuja.

And as part of the team’s preparations, Manu tells sl10.ng that he and his wards will have a training camp in Banjul, before departing for Senegal.

“After our games against Ghana, we will travel to Banjul, Gambia for a training camp before we travel to Senegal for the Africa Youth Championship.

“We have submitted the program to the Nigeria Football Federation and they have approved it, we just have to get ready,” he said.

Meanwhile, the NFF have refused to comment on the development, but sl10.ng has gathered that there will be at least one training camp abroad for the team, before they travel to Senegal.

Sl10.ng has also gathered that there will be two friendly matches against Ghana’s U20 team, who are also preparing for the AYC.

The Flying Eagles are in Group A of the competition, and were drawn with hosts Senegal, Cote d’ Ivoire and Congo.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Tomtoxic: 8:48pm On Feb 04, 2015
Nigerian league really has problems sha imagine d england u-20 beating chelsea arsenal man u nd city dats kinda imposible but yet na dem wan go play esperance es setif nd al ahly

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 5:02pm On Feb 05, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Manu: Alampasu Will Have To Fight Off Competition[/size]

Dele Alampasu’s new status as an overseas based player will not influence his position in the U20 team and will not make him the de facto first choice goalkeeper, according to Flying Eagles coach, Manu Garba.

The 18-year old has recently secured a contract with Portuguese side, Estoril, after training with clubs in Belgium and Spain without getting a contract.

And Manu, who has always maintained that no player is assured an automatic spot on his team, says Alampasu will have to fight off competition from the other goalkeepers at his disposal.

“Dele (Alampasu) is still our player and we hope he will join us soon. When he comes, he will have to fight for a shirt just like everyone else because nobody has an automatic shirt,” he told sl10.ng.

“We don’t have a first choice goalkeeper at the moment, but I can tell you that we have some good goalkeepers and Dele will have to fight for a place on the team because nobody will be given a special treatment.

“It doesn’t matter where you play. If he plays abroad or in Nigeria, the most important thing is to be good enough and we have very good goalkeepers in our team and no one has an automatic shirt.”[/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Icon4s(m): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2015
joseph1013:
[size=14pt]Flying Eagles grab two Dolphins stars[/size]

Two players of Dolphins football club, Christian Pyagbara and Victor Alegbe have been 'commandeered' by the coaching crew of the National U20 team.

After an above average showing at the Super 4, both players caught the eyes of the Flying Eagles coaches who requested that they stay back to join their team.

Return

Pyagbara scored one goal for Dolphins at the Super 4, in the 4-1 loss to the Flying Eagles while Victor Alegbe did not get a goal.
Both players have since left the camp of the team, and did not return with them to Port Harcourt after the Super 4 ended in Abuja.

Alegbe played for Dolphins last season from Wikki Tourist while Pyagbara, who was at Sharks last year, is on the verge of joining the CAF Confederation Cup campaigners

This is the same Christian Pyagbara that featured at the last U20s under John Obuh : http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/teams/team=1888282/index.html

Well I hope he brings in his wealth of experience into the team.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Icon4s(m): 10:24am On Feb 06, 2015
Icon4s:

This is the same Christian Pyagbara that featured at the last U20s under John Obuh. Well I hope he brings in his wealth of experience into the team : http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/teams/team=1888282/index.html

1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 06, 2015
Why should a player play twice for a single age grade competition? That is totally wrong.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.