Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,808 members, 7,862,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:50 PM

Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) - Sports (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) (483651 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / FIFA U-20 World Cup New Zealand 2015 Full Time Table And Fixtures / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Icon4s(m): 5:16am On May 18, 2015
safarigirl:
fine boys, fine boys everywhere. Such a shame I won't be able to watch the tournament ;-(

Y not?
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by samwind1508(m): 5:20am On May 18, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Is it time to find an ‘Oyinbo’ coach for Nigeria's youth teams?[/size]
A WriteUp by Prof Patrick Omo-Osagie

This is an undisputable football fact; Nigeria has the best youth programme in the world of football. We have won four FIFA U16/17 tournaments and we have placed second (twice) and third in the U20. So why are we finding it difficult to field a competitive Super Eagles team when we have such good competitive teams at the youth levels?

The answer by many football analysts is that these youth players flame out by the time they are ready for the Super Eagles because they were not of the proper age when they played in FIFA youth tournaments.

Another well used reason is that we do not have a continuity programme; many feel that the teams should be ‘shepherded’ along from U17 to U20 to U23 till Super Eagles for us to see results.

I cannot fault these reasons but I will ask this question; why do many of these same players who play for us at this level never really become good players even when they go play for clubs in Europe? They never become that great player we saw at seventeen; but I do have an interesting reason or in new sports language, I have a take on this issue.

Every time we have won the U17, there are always great expectations that we would win the U20 in the next go around, but this is yet to happen. The three previous U17 wins were followed by U20 teams that did not even finish in the last four. Maybe that is where the continuity argument holds, but not so for me.

I believe the problem is our lack of good coaching at this level; this is the level where all basic football knowledge is acquired. The use of sophisticated methods, drills and management are applied at this level and the results following our U17 success says that the teams are tactically unprepared and therefore out-played. The advantage we gain by using players over 17 in the U17s is nullified at the U20s, because boys of age 19/20 or men of 23/25 are physically the same, they are all in their physical prime.

We won the last U17 in 2013, we are playing in the U20 later this month, we are all very hopeful about this U20 team. Many are dreaming of the cup coming back to Nigeria, and I hope it does come to Nigeria. But if we fail as our records have shown, then I will be advocating for a foreign coach at this level and not at the Super Eagles level. This is where I believe we need help, real modern day football expertise, our players need this. They need it for their own football development and for a better Super Eagles.

There is a reason the present football federation is seeking Nigerians born and footballers bred outside our shores for the Super Eagles, there is a reason that the federation instituted a committee to find our young players at home and send them to foreign academies, the reason is that we don’t breed our young players the right or modern way. Our coaches are behind in the grooming of young players. We all witnessed the federation’s absurd suggestion to Keshi and his crew to go and get some coaching education and see how quickly it was rejected or ignored. The simple truth is that our coaches need sound and modern education in the field of player development and the U17 and U20 teams will be better served for now with an Oyinbo coach.

An Oyinbo coach at this level for us should be young, vibrant, full of ideas and cheap. He must come with an academy background from Europe and must have the ability to retain access to his academy so he/we can tap into their complete package of modern day football resources.[/b]
When I started reading ths article, a little groan escaped me and I said internally another arm chair but as I read on, his point became clearer.
Truthfully how well have we played at u20 level only to lose to teams not as gifted as half our teams in previous competitions.
Winning u17 agreed isn't easy but we have done it four times and yet not a single title at u20 level.
The most painful of this was the 2005 team where a tactically and later technical Argentina team defeated Nigeria against all odds with a future date maestro called messi.
And to prove that's its no fluke they did it again at the Olympic.
Before we allow emotions to carry us off and destroy our rational mind let's view it objectively. Nigeria was not defeated by a better team, we were defeated by a better tactical and technical team who knew they had a budding genius and they knew how to unleash him and ever since he has been our natural menace.
My point is I personally admire this coach called manu in so many levels and my personal wish is if we can have 4 of him why?
1 he learn his trade well under coach tella God bless his soul.
2 he has taken his time to sturdy it better by playing total football - mass defense mass attack, each player with multiple roles
3 he thinks on his feet and he encourages his players to do so likewise.
4 at u17 he lost to cote d'iviore because the team was tactical and technical, when he met Sweden he saw the same concept so he changed it round the next time he met this same opponents.
5 at the super six tournament he knew the games will be physical so he played his physical boys as against his technical ones. Hour repeated the same concept at Africa u20 because in Africa its all about strength. At the world cup it would be a mixed of his twin techniques
6 he is a natural talent spotter and immediately he knows where to use the player..
7. He learns fast and reads the game faster and as far as I have seen he has no room for sentiments he is all about success.
This are my points about him but the writer has a point also. Our players gets out there and they disappear and become irrelevant why?
Majority lacks the technical aspect of the game case in point Manchester united team inherited by van gaal, case in point how many Nigeria players are out there playing for top clubs and mikel doesn't count.
Footballers need to be well grounded in the basics of football and that is only done in academies not on playing field case in point Lampard at 17 was useless but at 24 he became the best of his English era.
Football foundation is imortant and all you have to look to confirm it us our local champions of NPL whom the u20 massacred at super six.
If and God forbids manu should fail, I think his suggestion is worth giving a try.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 5:54am On May 18, 2015
Icon4s:

Y not?
i'm at school, so I won't see matches at 2am and the likes. May not watch any game of the tournament
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 6:00am On May 18, 2015
samwind1508:

When I started reading ths article, a little groan escaped me and I said internally another arm chair but as I read on, his point became clearer.
Truthfully how well have we played at u20 level only to lose to teams not as gifted as half our teams in previous competitions.
Winning u17 agreed isn't easy but we have done it four times and yet not a single title at u20 level.
The most painful of this was the 2005 team where a tactically and later technical Argentina team defeated Nigeria against all odds with a future date maestro called messi.
And to prove that's its no fluke they did it again at the Olympic.
Before we allow emotions to carry us off and destroy our rational mind let's view it objectively. Nigeria was not defeated by a better team, we were defeated by a better tactical and technical team who knew they had a budding genius and they knew how to unleash him and ever since he has been our natural menace.
My point is I personally admire this coach called manu in so many levels and my personal wish is if we can have 4 of him why?
1 he learn his trade well under coach tella God bless his soul.
2 he has taken his time to sturdy it better by playing total football - mass defense mass attack, each player with multiple roles
3 he thinks on his feet and he encourages his players to do so likewise.
4 at u17 he lost to cote d'iviore because the team was tactical and technical, when he met Sweden he saw the same concept so he changed it round the next time he met this same opponents.
5 at the super six tournament he knew the games will be physical so he played his physical boys as against his technical ones. Hour repeated the same concept at Africa u20 because in Africa its all about strength. At the world cup it would be a mixed of his twin techniques
6 he is a natural talent spotter and immediately he knows where to use the player..
7. He learns fast and reads the game faster and as far as I have seen he has no room for sentiments he is all about success.
This are my points about him but the writer has a point also. Our players gets out there and they disappear and become irrelevant why?
Majority lacks the technical aspect of the game case in point Manchester united team inherited by van gaal, case in point how many Nigeria players are out there playing for top clubs and mikel doesn't count.
Footballers need to be well grounded in the basics of football and that is only done in academies not on playing field case in point Lampard at 17 was useless but at 24 he became the best of his English era.
Football foundation is imortant and all you have to look to confirm it us our local champions of NPL whom the u20 massacred at super six.
If and God forbids manu should fail, I think his suggestion is worth giving a try.
he should take his suggestion and shove it up his a-hole. Has Manu ever displayed a lack of tactical knowledge? Do you even know Manu? Did you ask how he beat Ghana that was coached by an U-20 WC winner? Or how he ensured against Senegal in the finals that the weather and the Senegalese big guns did not overwhelm the boys? Or do you just assume it's individual talent of the boys? See, make una respect una selves abeg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 6:20am On May 18, 2015
You may want to see again the goal exploits of the boys in the U-17 World Cup 2013. Spectacular performance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFq_zdTYYE

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by arsetalks(m): 7:12am On May 18, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

This is Nigeria's problem right here, you see a man performing well winning all there is to win and instead of praising him you go write an idiotic article like this for the world to see. Win or lose i will always support Manu and his staff.
Mate, I don't see any wrong in this write up. In fact, it is a good article. I totally agree with him but for me, I think the NFF having official academies in the 6 political zones is the solution to this.

Establish academies in Lagos, Enugu, Rivers, Kwara, Kebbi and Kaduna and have very good youth coaches in Europe head this academies and ensure there is a law in place that forbids these players to leave the country until they are of a certain age.

Get young lads of 8-12 years in, tutor them right from a tender age and then ensure there is a proper transitional program. Aside that, our youth coaches should be sent on regular refresher courses and be made to learn from the head of the academies as well. For instance, Garba will finish his term with the flying Eagles after the world cup, he has another 1 year before another competition to play ( qualifiers), send him to Barca or Ajax or Aston villa or Southampton to learn from their youth coaches. Let him be there for 6-8 months. Do this with other coaches as well and with the experience gained, they will be able to impact our youth team.

This will have a lot of positive effect on the national teams and our football as a whole. First, the more quality players we produce, the more attractive our football is to would be sponsors and the more money we will have in the long run to catch up with others.

The academy produce can be sold to big clubs too. AT A CERTAIN AGE. Just make sure the players are trained regularly and not forced to play in league matches. Train, train and train. If they must practice what they have learnt, that they can do via friendly matches. Exposing young players to too much competition instead of proper training is what's killing England right now.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Badosqi(m): 7:35am On May 18, 2015
Safarigirl, your fine boy good looking coach is gone. He is off market now. He is heading to Lille now. Coach Herve Renard.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 8:03am On May 18, 2015
arsetalks:
Mate, I don't see any wrong in this write up. In fact, it is a good article. I totally agree with him but for me, I think the NFF having official academies in the 6 political zones is the solution to this.

Establish academies in Lagos, Enugu, Rivers, Kwara, Kebbi and Kaduna and have very good youth coaches in Europe head this academies and ensure there is a law in place that forbids these players to leave the country until they are of a certain age.

Get young lads of 8-12 years in, tutor them right from a tender age and then ensure there is a proper transitional program. Aside that, our youth coaches should be sent on regular refresher courses and be made to learn from the head of the academies as well. For instance, Garba will finish his term with the flying Eagles after the world cup, he has another 1 year before another competition to play ( qualifiers), send him to Barca or Ajax or Aston villa or Southampton to learn from their youth coaches. Let him be there for 6-8 months. Do this with other coaches as well and with the experience gained, they will be able to impact our youth team.

This will have a lot of positive effect on the national teams and our football as a whole. First, the more quality players we produce, the more attractive our football is to would be sponsors and the more money we will have in the long run to catch up with others.

The academy produce can be sold to big clubs too. AT A CERTAIN AGE. Just make sure the players are trained regularly and not forced to play in league matches. Train, train and train. If they must practice what they have learnt, that they can do via friendly matches. Exposing young players to too much competition instead of proper training is what's killing England right now.

The NFF already have an Under 13 and under 15 programme throughout Nigeria.. That is what produced Chidera Ezeh and kelechi Iheanacho.

Germany has some of the best academies but they have never won the under 20 trophy.. So how does Nigeria not winning it call for foreign coach?

There are several reasons why we have not won the cup. The first is the use of overage players. until the introduction of MRI, most of our wins was through cheating and as a result, players do not develop. so by under 20, no progress is made... There are several examples of this.

Also, even when a player is genuinely young. They end up with slave contracts abroad that does not help their career growth. It is very difficult for African players to get decent deal abroad. Agent greed and the unwillingness of top European clubs to gamble on young africans is part of the issue.

4 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 9:03am On May 18, 2015
ONE TO WATCH: As his side’s skipper and playmaker, Kalmar is sure to be in the thick of things when Hungary begin their tilt at glory in New Zealand, where they will take on Brazil, Korea DPR and Nigeria in the first round.

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 9:36am On May 18, 2015
Abeg who is this?

Before morning training

[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFRlbXfW8AA8X-F.jpg:large[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 9:38am On May 18, 2015
Northern boys congress (NBC), lol

[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFRhs0PW0AAMz2S.jpg:large[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 9:40am On May 18, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 9:42am On May 18, 2015
Pictures courtesy @guysly2much

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:14am On May 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Brazil Land In Australia For Flying Eagles[/size]

The Brazilian National Team U-20 is already in Australia, where they will hold their second stage of preparation for the World Cup in New Zealand. There will be 10 training days until departure to the country hosting the competition.

Of course, there were many flight hours to reach the other side of the world, but the U-20 National Team had a quiet trip. On landing, also heard a welcome and good luck message from the captain of the flight QF 028.

The work on Australian soil starts already on Monday with training in the morning. During this last period of preparation for the World Cup, the U-20 National Team will make two friendlies: 24, against Portugal, and 27 against Australia.

On the 28th, the Brazilian delegation leaves for New Zealand. The debut World is scheduled for 1° June at 13 hours (22 hours of Brasilia May 31) in New Plymouth. The opponent in the first match will be Nigeria[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:26am On May 18, 2015
Sokari Not Scared Of Man United's Andreas Pereira.
Kingsley Sokari has sent a message to Brazil's Under 20s boss, Rogério Micale, that the Flying Eagles are not quaking in their boots ahead of both countries opener at the Fifa Under 20 World Cup in New Plymouth.
Of the 21 players the newly - appointed manager named to his roster, the eye - catching names include midfielders Andreas Pereira (Manchester United), Alef Dos Santos (Marseille), Danilo (Sporting Braga) and Real Madrid young striker Jean Carlos.
Enyimba playmaker Kingsley Sokari is confident of winning the midfield battle against some of the brightest youngsters in world football.
''I am not scared of anybody because I play for the best country that has everything - good players, coaches and the best Federation - so instead Brazil should be thinking of how to take care of our own players,'' said Kingsley Sokari to SL10.ng,
''We are really working hard to make sure we win all our seven games and take the Cup, we have a good midfield that money can't buy.
''I am feeling very happy that I made this team. It's like dreams coming true in my career, I will give all my best.''
The Enyimba number 10 was pleased to make Manu Garba's squad list and more delighted with the progress made in his career over the last one year, with caps for the Super Eagles as well as the Nigeria Under 23s.
''It's a great grace for me to be playing for all the national teams.
''I am very happy with the way my career is going, everything is happening so fast.
''So I'm very happy (to be considered) when we have all the best players but I'm still here and made the team. Thanks to God and the coaches,'' Kingsley Sokari added.
Barely two years ago, Sokari was playing non - league football for nursery team Port Harcourt City Academy before he was snapped up by Enyimba. And as they say, the rest is history.

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by bigblangston: 10:27am On May 18, 2015
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Brazil Land In Australia For Flying Eagles[/size]

The Brazilian National Team U-20 is already in Australia, where they will hold their second stage of preparation for the World Cup in New Zealand. There will be 10 training days until departure to the country hosting the competition.

Of course, there were many flight hours to reach the other side of the world, but the U-20 National Team had a quiet trip. On landing, also heard a welcome and good luck message from the captain of the flight QF 028.

The work on Australian soil starts already on Monday with training in the morning. During this last period of preparation for the World Cup, the U-20 National Team will make two friendlies: 24, against Portugal, and 27 against Australia.

On the 28th, the Brazilian delegation leaves for New Zealand. The debut World is scheduled for 1° June at 13 hours (22 hours of Brasilia May 31) in New Plymouth. The opponent in the first match will be Nigeria[/b]
The headline is somehw to me, are d brazilians playin against us in australia? Or if it was dey landed in australia to prepare for us in d U20 WC is it only d flying eagles dey will meet? Lol
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:39am On May 18, 2015
Adepoju Tips Flying Eagles For Success.
Former Nigeria international Mutiu Adepoju has tipped the Flying Eagles for success at the forthcoming FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.
Adepoju, a former Flying Eagle who represented Nigeria at the 1989 World Youth Championship (now U20 World Cup) in Saudi Arabia, says the present Flying Eagles have shown enough to suggest they can be the first Nigerian team to win the competition.
“I have seen them play and I can tell that they are very good. The coaches have done a fantastic job and the players have shown there is still hope in this country.
“The competition will be a different ball game entirely of course, but these boys are good. It may be too early to say they will win the World Cup, but they sure look like they will be the first Nigerian U20 team to win the competition,” he said.
Adepoju played a prominent role as Nigeria got the final of that competition, but lost 0-2 to Portugal, who had Carlos Queiroz as coach, the Portuguese going to coach Real Madrid years later.
Asked to compare how it is now and during his time, the 44-year old says there’s a lot of difference.
“There’s a lot of difference I believe. A lot of the guys that played during my time were fresh out of school or still in school but now it’s gone professional.”
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 10:40am On May 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Gama, Gudino headline Mexico's under-20 World Cup squad[/size]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2015/0508/soc_g_gudino_mb_1296x729.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc[/img]

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Gama and Porto goalkeeper Raul Gudino will headline Mexico's under-20 squad at the World Cup later this month in New Zealand, it was announced on Friday.

Liga MX watchers will be familiar with names like Pachuca central midfielder Erick Gutierrez, fellow Tuzos winger Hirving Lozano, Queretaro midfielder Orbelin Pineda and Morelia's Erick Aguirre, who have all started regularly for their clubs at domestic level and were selected in the 22-player squad.

Coach Sergio Almaguer named five players from Guadalajara club Chivas and five from Pachuca, with two from Queretaro and two from Club America.

Almaguer chose four goalkeepers, although one will miss out on actually going to the event.

El Tri is in Group D of the competition alongside Mali, Uruguay and Serbia and will begin the tournament against the African side on May 31 in Dunedin.

Mexico's team was knocked out by Spain in the Round of 16 stage of the 2013 version of the tournament and won the CONCACAF Championship back in January in Jamaica to qualify for this year's World Cup.

The squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas), Raul Gudino (FC Porto), Edson Resendez (Monterrey), Antonio Torres (Chivas)

Defenders: Erick Aguirre (Morelia), Carlos Arreola (Atlas), Oscar Bernal (Santos Laguna), Rodrigo Gonzalez (Lobos BUAP), Kevin Gutierrez (Queretaro), Osvaldo Rodriguez (Pachuca)

Midfielders: Sergio Flores (Chivas), Erick Gutierrez (Pachuca), Mauro Lainez (Pachuca), Hirving Lozano (Pachuca), Luis Marquez (Guadalajara), Orbelin Pineda (Queretaro), David Ramirez (Chivas), Victor Guzman (Chivas)

Forwards: Alejandro Diaz (Club America), Diego Gama (Atletico Madrid), Guillermo Martinez (Pachuca), Diego Pineda (Club America)[/b]
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 10:48am On May 18, 2015
tbaba1234:

The NFF already have an Under 13 and under 15 programme throughout Nigeria.. That is what produced Chidera Ezeh and kelechi Iheanacho.

Germany has some of the best academies but they have never won the under 20 trophy.. So how does Nigeria not winning it call for foreign coach?

There are several reasons why we have not won the cup. The first is the use of overage players. until the introduction of MRI, most of our wins was through cheating and as a result, players do not develop. so by under 20, no progress is made... There are several examples of this.

Also, even when a player is genuinely young. They end up with slave contracts abroad that does not help their career growth. It is very difficult for African players to get decent deal abroad. Agent greed and the unwillingness of top European clubs to gamble on young africans is part of the issue.

I will not agree with u less on this vital point you have made . Age cheating has hindered us in the past and now that we are on the track , we don't need feeble minded writers around. Even our noisy neighbor got it right when they used younger players, they won the under 20 World Cup and still went ahead to perform excellently well at the senior World Cup with the core of that same team. I detest negative people , we don't need them on this thread.

Flying eagles will come home with the trophy!
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 11:06am On May 18, 2015
bigblangston:
The headline is somehw to me, are d brazilians playin against us in australia? Or if it was dey landed in australia to prepare for us in d U20 WC is it only d flying eagles dey will meet? Lol

It's because we have always been their nightmare at the junior level ...even they will not forget the Atlanta 96 in a rush ! Lol

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:19am On May 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Leon Balogun backs Flying Eagles World Cup quest[/size]

Nigeria defender Leon Balogun, who features for promotion-gunning SV Darmstadt 1898 in Germany, has backed the Flying Eagles quest to win the U20 World Cup in New Zealand.

The right fullback also spoke on the Super Eagles ahead of next month’s AFCON 2017 qualifier against Chad as well as his club’s big push to play in the Bundesliga next season.

The interview:

QUESTION: Leon, you have just met with some of the Flying Eagles players as your team were also booked in the same hotel with them. How did it go?

LEON BALOGUN: I have had the honour to meet with some of the Flying Eagles here, they are our future. They look very promising as they prepare to play at the U20 World Cup. They are ambitious, they have a big chance and they are hungry, you can see this in their eyes.

They want to win the World Cup, that’s their goal, and the captain just told me. That’s the right mindset.

From my hotel room I watched their training session and I saw a very skillful and physically very strong team. They beat two very promising second teams (Hoffenheim and Nurnberg) of Bundesliga clubs.

It was very promising what I saw. I hope they achieve their goal in New Zealand for the World Cup.

The Super Eagles begin their qualification for the 2017 AFCON against Chad at home in Kaduna next month. How are you looking forward to this game should you be called up?

We have to take the first step and win this game because everybody expects us to be at the AFCON 2017 especially after we missed the last one. Hopefully, we will be successful this time.

Turning to your club, how big a result was the recent 1-0 win at Karlsruhe?

It was a big step in the right direction.

What is your last game of the season?

It will be next Sunday against St.Pauli. It will be another tough one because they are also fighting against relegation. We will play it simple, like the 33 games before.

When you do get promoted, could you stay up in the Bundesliga, which is a tough competition on its own?

We will see because we have to make some improvements then. We are looking forward to play in the Bundesliga.

What has been your experience in the Bundesliga?

I played 23 games for Hannover, Werder Bremen and Fortuna Dusseldorf.

So, it would be good get up there and this could well improve your chances with the Super Eagles.

I believe so. I have managed to do this by playing in the second league and if I played in the Bundesliga, that would be even better.

Now looking back, was this the best decision to join Darmstadt 1898?

It turned out as the perfect decision for me. I would not have expected this. I had my time to recover from my injury. The trainers trust me 100%, that’s what I need so I could also give it back.

Everybody said we would be the first team to go back to the third league again. And now we are in second position on the table with a game to the end of the season.

What really decided it for you to join Darmstadt?

They were very eager to have me, they really pushed and even when I said I won’t sign, they kept on pushing me. In the end, I agreed that we give it a try and it was perfect.

Now when does your contract with Darmstadt end?

It ends after the season. We are negotiating right now.

So, we should expect you to extend your stay here.

Yes.

There was a time you were also in England on trials. Whatever came out of that?

I was there on trials. England is still a dream, we will see.

Which club did you try out with?

It was Blackpool. But now I’m glad I did not go there because they went down (from the English Championship) five match days ago! [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:21am On May 18, 2015
In a related development I have read some uncomfirmed reports that- Stephen Keshi has declared that Flying Eagles rave of the moment; Taiwo Awoniyi will surely get a chance to stake a claim for a shirt in the senior national team. Keshi who reckoned that age should not be a barrier playing for the national team was quick to point out that doing well in the youth ranks does not necessarily translate to being ready for the big thing in the senior national team set-up. The Big Boss, who himself started quite young playing for the Super Eagles, said on Brila FM that if Raheem Sterling could play for England at a tender age, Awoniyi could break into the Nigerian senior national team.

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:26am On May 18, 2015
Former Nigerian internationals, Etim Esin and Yisa Shofoluwe, have urged the national U-20 team to go a step better than the 1989 and 2005 teams by winning the FIFA U-20 World Cup as the second African side to win the competition.
The World Cup will begin in New Zealand on May 30 and Nigeria have only been finalists at the tournament twice – 1989 and 2005 – but Ghana became the first African side to win the tournament in 2009 in Egypt.
Esin, who played in the 1987 edition of the competition in Chile, told our correspondent that the team have what it takes to win the tournament.
“It will be tough for them to beat Brazil because at that level we have not had it good against the South Americans. Even during my time, in Chile, we lost to Brazil,” he said.
“But I believe if they can scale the Brazilian hurdle, they can go all the way to win it for the first time for Nigeria and the second time for Africa.
“If Ghana can do it in 2009, Nigeria can do it in 2015. We have got to the final twice and the team is made up of good players, so they should do better than the 1989 and 2005 teams and win the competition.”
For former defender, Shofoluwe, winning the 2015 African Youth Championship in Senegal would spur the players to do same at the world stage.
“They can win the World Cup. What they did in Senegal really showed the stuff they are made of,” he said.
“The tournament will be tough and they will meet tougher opponents than at the African stage but they should take each match very seriously and they will perform well.”
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by lexyman(m): 11:42am On May 18, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
In a related development I have read some uncomfirmed reports that- Stephen Keshi has declared that Flying Eagles rave of the moment; Taiwo Awoniyi will surely get a chance to stake a claim for a shirt in the senior national team. Keshi who reckoned that age should not be a barrier playing for the national team was quick to point out that doing well in the youth ranks does not necessarily translate to being ready for the big thing in the senior national team set-up. The Big Boss, who himself started quite young playing for the Super Eagles, said on Brila FM that if Raheem Sterling could play for England at a tender age, Awoniyi could break into the Nigerian senior national team.

If this news is true ? it means Stephen Okey has woken up from his deep sleep . What is wrong with "catch them young ?

But not just ordinary players but bunch of excellent players , he must change his orientation to succeed this time around as the super eagles coach .

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by safarigirl(f): 11:46am On May 18, 2015
Badosqi:
Safarigirl, your fine boy good looking coach is gone. He is off market now. He is heading to Lille now. Coach Herve Renard.
chei! Bet why? I never got to meet him

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 11:55am On May 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]EXCLUSIVE: Man City to offer another Nigerian starlet pro deal[/size]

AfricanFootball.com can exclusively reveal that a third Nigerian youngster, Bright Etaghara, is set to sign a professional contract with EPL side Manchester City following in the footsteps of Nigeria U20 stars Kelechi Iheanacho and Chidiebere Nwakali.

Bright Etaghara is expected to return to Manchester City this summer after he impressed on a week-long trial at the club in February.

He was at City along with a 19-year-old striker Ugochukwu Oduenye.

Impressed City officials say the 18-year-old attacking midfielder has “got something” and they wish to see him again.

He was scouted by Francis Aduga in Lagos and already several top European clubs are hot on his chase after he shone at a major tournament recently.

“He is super talented. He is very skillful, quick and intelligent,” remarked someone who is familiar with this transaction.

Already discussions are that he may be shipped out on loan when he signs as he will not qualify under the “special talent” argument that fetched Iheanacho a professional contract.

In the meantime, Chidiebere Nwakali’s younger brother and Golden Eaglets skipper Kelechi Nwakali has been in England to discuss a pre-contract agreement with City as well. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by zoboizee: 11:59am On May 18, 2015
The nike jersey have no nff logo. or na trial version. make dem brng original o!

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:05pm On May 18, 2015
lexyman:

If this news is true ? it means Stephen Okey has woken up from his deep sleep . What is wrong with "catch them young ?

But not just ordinary players but bunch of excellent players , he must change his orientation to succeed this time around as the super eagles coach .
Well said ma bro.
Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by joseph1013: 12:24pm On May 18, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Musa Muhammed: We Are Ready To Take On The World[/size]

As the FIFA U20 World Cup draws ever closer, Flying Eagles skipper Musa Muhammed has commented on their readiness for the competition which kicks off on the 30th of May in New Zealand.

The 18-year-old has made Nigeria’s final 21-man squad for the competition and has been featuring in the team’s friendly games in Germany, where they have scored 10 goals and conceded just two in the two matches played so far.

Captain Muhammed says he and his teammates are ready to take on the world.

“We are ready to take on the world,” he told SL10.ng.

“The friendly matches we have played have really helped us. Starting with the Super 6, and the games we have played here and I will say we now have a compact side.

“This is not about being boastful but I believe we are ready to take on the world because we have had such a good preparation for the competition and we are ready to go,” he stated further.

The Nigerian U20’s have been impressive in the two friendly games they have played in Germany, where they are camped before heading to New Zealand.

They will play their third and final friendly match against the U23’s of Freiburg tomorrow, before leaving for the U20 World Cup.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by tbaba1234: 12:38pm On May 18, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by kannymoore(m): 1:37pm On May 18, 2015
tbaba1234:
I went digging for Germany's list and i found out that players from hoffenheim, Nurnberg and Freiburg were selected.. These teams can not be that bad.

GK
Daniel Mesenhöler 24.07.1995 1. FC Köln
Marvin Schwäbe 25.04.1995 1899 Hoffenheim
Michael Zetterer 12.07.1995 Werder Bremen

DF
Kevin Akpoguma 19.04.1995 1899 Hoffenheim
Thomas Hagn 28.02.1995 SpVgg Unterhaching
Marc-Oliver Kempf 28.01.1995 SC Freiburg
Grischa Prömel 09.01.1995 1899 Hoffenheim
Niklas Stark 14.04.1995 1. FC Nürnberg
Anthony Syhre 18.03.1995 Hertha BSC
Maximilian Wittek 21.08.1995 TSV 1860 München

MF
Robert Bauer 09.04.1995 FC Ingolstadt
Hany Mukhtar 21.03.1995 Benfica Lissabon
Matti Steinmann 08.01.1995 Hamburger SV
Marc Stendera 10.12.1995 Eintracht Frankfurt
Julian Weigl 08.09.1995 TSV 1860 München

Strikers
Julian Brandt 02.05.1996 Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Jeremy Dudziak 28.08.1995 Borussia Dortmund
Tim Kleindienst 31.08.1995 Energie Cottbus
Felix Lohkemper 26.01.1995 VfB Stuttgart
Levin Öztunali 15.03.1996 Werder Bremen
Marvin Stefaniak 03.02.1995 Dynamo Dresden

No bayern munich player, if bayern has the best academy, surely they would have some boys here.

We Desperately need to start making overtures to Capping that Nigga immediately after this tournament for the Super Eagles!

I've been hearing nothing but good stories about that guy!

Shet!.... I just remembered who our present Super Eagles coach is.

Gaaddemmit! angry !

2 Likes

Re: Flying Eagles of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (New Zealand 2015) by olapluto(m): 2:02pm On May 18, 2015
kannymoore:

We Desperately need to start making overtures to Capping that Nigga immediately after this tournament for the Super Eagles!

I've been hearing nothing but good stories about that guy!

Shet!.... I just remembered who our present Super Eagles coach is.

Gaaddemmit! angry !
The guy is not a Nigerian! It is shameful that we always have to poach average players born abroad, when the homebred ones are better, much better.

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (232) (Reply)

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.