Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,781 members, 7,817,246 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work (48581 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / PICTURE..Free Range Snail Farming Style In Lagos Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 3:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
omoola007:
I need help building pen does anyone have pen design? tires, block, wood, old crates.

Here's mine

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 3:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
Inside it

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2015
Mzsunshine:
I have been thinking abt starting a medium snail farm and I need some one to supply some Achatina achatina snails to me in the east. Abia state to be precise. Could anyone direct me?

Did you finally start?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 4:57pm On Jul 06, 2015
Neduzze5:

Here's mine
I will not advice you to keep the snails in that big bucket. The snails will not thrive well there. Since you have a land why cant you build a pen for them?

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Seun(m): 4:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
pragmatistm:
I will not advice you to keep the snails in that big bucket. The snails will not thrive well there. Since you have a land why cant you build a pen for them?
I think he just needs to drill lots of holes in the bucket for good airflow.

Pls look at the snails I saw in my backyard. At night they emerge from a pile of bricks to feed on vegetable weeds and moss. Are these giant African land snails, though? They have the same pattern but are very small. If not, what are they?

2 Shares

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 8:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
Seun:

Pls look at the snails I saw in my backyard. At night they emerge from a pile of bricks to feed on vegetable weeds and moss. Are these giant African land snails, though? They have the same pattern but are very small. If not, what are they?

Yeah they are GALS, acronym for Giant African Land Snails. Not yet fully matured up to table size. In about 6 months or thereabout, they should be fully matured
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
pragmatistm:

I've since changed my pen to a better one. Due to lack of money and some future engagements, I can't really go into free range for now till probably next year or thereabout.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Adesiji77: 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2015
19naia:
People need to also recognize the diseases that humans can get from snails....The most nightmarish nervous system infections are carried by snails and spread by rats as well...Where there are people and food, rats will be there, the snails eat rat feces also and rats sometimes eat snails or the same vegetables and pellets the snails eat and slime on....They share diseases this way.....Snails cellular structure is most similar to mammal nervous cell structure, and so it is when humans get infected by snail diseases, the disease thrives in the nervous cells and does damage there..
Its good to be careful...I know of a lady in my area who ate vegetables that had very small infected snails and she was damaged in her nervous system so badly and eventually entered her brain and she went into a coma....Another man recovered but has permanent nerve damage causing him to shake and have terrible balance and coordination of his movements...

African snails are known to be viable carriers of Rat lung worm, rats carry that micro worm as well and they spread it among each other by snails eating rat feces and rats eating snails or snail slimed vegetables or vegetation with snail feces.....

proper washing and cooking is certain prevention, wash hands after handling snails, so as not to ingest any particles from the snails body or feces....Keep rats away from the snails and that will isolate the snails from contagions....Exotic and terrible diseases happen among fresh water Mollusks. A Sea mollusk has the most exotic venom, the cone shell mollusks venom....
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by holar37(m): 1:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
I really do appreciate the good and enlightening work done here, nice work from great farmers all around. cool

I'm looking into diving into a semi-scale snail rearing too with a friend come October and I must say, I have really learnt a lot from this thread.

With all other things in place, pls I want to know if there is a snail farmer in the house around oyo town that can supply me a hundred brooding stock (60 A. Marginata and 40 A. Archatina).

Waiting for ur kind response and following always too... cool
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 3:47am On Jul 30, 2015
holar37:
I really do appreciate the good and enlightening work done here, nice work from great farmers all around. cool

I'm looking into diving into a semi-scale snail rearing too with a friend come October and I must say, I have really learnt a lot from this thread.

With all other things in place, pls I want to know if there is a snail farmer in the house around oyo town that can supply me a hundred brooding stock (60 A. Marginata and 40 A. Archatina).

Waiting for ur kind response and following always too... cool

I can help. Email formailsalone(at)gmail dot com. Im from same place but now in Ogun.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 4:06am On Jul 30, 2015
Seun:

@Seun,

What do we do to deserve your presence on our thread? grin grin I guess the thread is working. Thanks for finally creating the agric section.

To your post: I thinnk you have Achartina Marginata there. Just do a pen for them and keep giving them water and food. You can read previous pages for further suggestions.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 12:51pm On Jul 30, 2015
Just installed a 720 capacity Snailery for my mum in her compound. (At least by December she go pray for me)

I am an expert but I find it very hard to comment. (May God help me).

Thumbs up to neduzze5 and pragmatistm for helping the upcomers.

Will complete a work on my A-Z secrets in backyard heliculture and post it up here for you guy.

Happy Thursday!

Cc. Orijin101
Kingtom
StephenQueen
Ladyboss1
2Dice
Fulaboy

(No be only kush I De kush)

2 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by 2dice(m): 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
lordhugo:
Just installed a 720 capacity Snailery for my mum in her compound. (At least by December she go pray for me)

Will complete a work on my A-Z secrets in backyard heliculture and post it up here for you guy.

Happy Thursday!

Cc. Orijin101
Kingtom
StephenQueen
Ladyboss1
2Dice
Fulaboy

Good one man...
Man Mustnot live on kussh alone ...
Snail Business??
Why not fish maybe catfish? ...
Dah Shii is Brings doe...u know
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 30, 2015
lordhugo:

Happy Thursday!

Cc. Orijin101
Kingtom
StephenQueen
Ladyboss1
2Dice
Fulaboy

Ur back smiley
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 6:32pm On Jul 30, 2015
2dice:
Good one man...
Man Mustnot live on kussh alone ...
Snail Business??
Why not fish maybe catfish? ...
Dah Shii is Brings doe...u know

Catfish is truly a money spinner . Same as grasscutter, poultry and what have you but if I am investing in catfish , i t would have to be a recirculating aquaculture system ( RAS system fitted with modern tech) . Usage of earthen ponds, tanks, taupaulin are simply too tedious and returns are far lower.

But money no De.

Snails do not require much oversight and the returns are impressive.

I am a stickler for quality and big scale projects.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 6:34pm On Jul 30, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Ur back smiley

...always been around. (I actually skim web pages quickly) .

I hope to comment more regularly.

Do you like snails?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
lordhugo:

...always been around. (I actually skim web pages quickly) .

I hope to comment more regularly.

Do you like snails?

Yh i eat them lol
Very tasty
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 8:00pm On Jul 30, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Yh i eat them lol
Very tasty

Snails are also highly nutritious . Vitamins and minerals with protein - without fat!

Not to mention the fact that Roman elites ate snails before making out. Aphrodisiac maybe?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2015
lordhugo:

Snails are also highly nutritious . Vitamins and minerals with protein - without fat!

Not to mention the fact that Roman elites ate snails before making out. Aphrodisiac maybe?
Not sure about afrodisaic
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by 2dice(m): 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2015
lordhugo:

Catfish is truly a money spinner . Same as grasscutter, poultry and what have you but if I am investing in catfish , i t would have to be a recirculating aquaculture system ( RAS system fitted with modern tech) . Usage of earthen ponds, tanks, taupaulin are simply too tedious and returns are far lower.

But money no De.

Snails do not require much oversight and the returns are impressive.

I am a stickler for quality and big scale projects.
Good Bro... Make I be your Treasurer now cheesy
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Fulaboy(m): 11:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
lordhugo:

Happy Thursday!

Cc. Orijin 101
King tom
Stephen Queen
Lady boss1
2 Dice
Fula boy

my manchi is back
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 7:58am On Jul 31, 2015
lordhugo:

Thumbs up to nedu.zze5 and pragma.tistm for helping the upcomers.

Happy Thursday!

Cc. Orijin.101
Kin.gtom
Step.henQueen
Lady.boss1
2D.ice
Ful..aboy

Kudos Uncle.... The environment where you set that up is really nice. That snailery will always be cool. And that is necessary for snail survival
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 8:20am On Jul 31, 2015
2dice:
Good Bro... Make I be your Treasurer now cheesy

Lol. My money never many reach to get treasurer o.

But with farming,
You can be your own Chairman, Fin.Sec or treasurer my brother.

Why Work in a bank for 100k , when an intensive system snailery running at 3000 pieces capacity (without expansion . I.e . Non usage of eggs to increase population) can give you 3000*200 every 6 months?

Both of them are 600k gross profit at 6 months.

Bank Job - 100k * months = 600,000
Costs include-
1. Transportation (everyday to and from work)
2. you go buy suits, ties , perf just to "gaj up" (to count millions belonging to someone else)
3. Other ancillary costs.
4. Time (7am -7pm everyday under pressure)

(Deduce the net earnings for your self) .

3000Cap snailery.
Costs include -

1. Transportation once in 3days to the fruit market to "pack" free feed.

2. You can wear your favorite singlet and drink orijin in front of your TV virtually all day (where is orijin101 sef) . Just feed once a day in the evening and maybe water the pens on dry afternoons.

3. Relatively cheap initial and running costs (as opposed to poultry and the likes)

4. Time is even available to continue with the bank job.

I like to think of heliculture as the stock market.
I buy shares , receive dividends from time to time and I can sell off my stock for a good windfall.

Anybody can start with the information on this thread alone.

2Dice, if you roll these dice, you will get double six(6 6) lol.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 8:24am On Jul 31, 2015
LadyBoss1:

Not sure about afrodisaic

[size=3pt] There has to be a connection o. Why is the snail body shaped like the reproductive organ of the female human? Lol. [/size]
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 31, 2015
lordhugo:

[size=3pt] There has to be a connection o. Why is the snail body shaped like the reproductive organ of the female human? Lol. [/size]
Ewwww
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 8:40am On Jul 31, 2015
Neduzze5:

Kudos Uncle.... The environment where you set that up is really nice. That snailery will always be cool. And that is necessary for snail survival

You are on point my brother.

Chinedu, first thing I think of in setting up a snailery is the "climate" .... if the pen is between 20-25 degrees Celsius />80% relative humidity most of the time, the feeding/active time for the snails will increase significantly.

"Norma snails eat from say 7pm to 6am ... I tweak mine to 5:30pm to 8am.

More feeding time = more growth.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by lordhugo(m): 9:08am On Jul 31, 2015
Fulaboy:
my manchi is back

RakanDede my brother!

Make money come, I go come lease big flat arable land from you to launch a mega pasture .
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by onuwaje(m): 11:19am On Jul 31, 2015
Pls I'd like to know what's d minimum one cud start with and also how to gt customers?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Neduzze5(m): 11:26am On Jul 31, 2015
onuwaje:
Pls I'd like to know what's d minimum one cud start with and also how to gt customers?

The minimum is 1. wink

About customers, just start up first and you'd see plenty of customers along the line. There's gonna be a very long gap before you can start selling them self.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 1:20pm On Jul 31, 2015
19naia:

People need to also recognize the diseases that humans can get from snails....The most nightmarish nervous system infections are carried by snails and spread by rats as well...Where there are people and food, rats will be there, the snails eat rat feces also and rats sometimes eat snails or the same vegetables and pellets the snails eat and slime on....They share diseases this way.....Snails cellular structure is most similar to mammal nervous cell structure, and so it is when humans get infected by snail diseases, the disease thrives in the nervous cells and does damage there..
Its good to be careful...I know of a lady in my area who ate vegetables that had very small infected snails and she was damaged in her nervous system so badly and eventually entered her brain and she went into a coma....Another man recovered but has permanent nerve damage causing him to shake and have terrible balance and coordination of his movements...
African snails are known to be viable carriers of Rat lung worm, rats carry that micro worm as well and they spread it among each other by snails eating rat feces and rats eating snails or snail slimed vegetables or vegetation with snail feces.....
proper washing and cooking is certain prevention, wash hands after handling snails, so as not to ingest any particles from the snails body or feces....Keep rats away from the snails and that will isolate the snails from contagions....Exotic and terrible diseases happen among fresh water Mollusks. A Sea mollusk has the most exotic venom, the cone shell mollusks venom....

Great points. Knowledge is power. I will add this info to my second post on this thread for early alert to everybody.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 1:32pm On Jul 31, 2015
onuwaje:
You can start with as many as 100, 200 etc or as few as 2,3,4, etc depending on the space you have and finance.

Customers are all over wherever there is market for foodstuffs and hotels & eateries do also buy.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by onuwaje(m): 1:42pm On Jul 31, 2015
pragmatistm:
You can start with as many as 100, 200 etc or as few as 2,3,4, etc depending on the space you have and finance.

Customers are all over wherever there is market for foodstuffs and hotels & eateries do also buy.
Rough estimate for someone who wants to start with 50

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Your Interest, Not About Ur Money,join Our Agriculture Team Now! / List Of Lucrative Farming Businesses To Venture Into In Nigeria / Photos Of A Pig Humping A Goat In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.