Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work (48621 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / PICTURE..Free Range Snail Farming Style In Lagos Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by binbass(m): 8:16pm On Jul 07, 2014
Eggs

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 12:06am On Jul 08, 2014
binbass: Pics
Great. Take care of them oo.

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by whirlwind7(m): 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
binbass: Eggs

Brother, could you be kind enough to elaborate on the step by step procedure you took to getting the eggs, and then getting them to hatch out?
Please,
*How did you get the eggs? (I'm assuming they were laid by older snails from ur pen)
*In what sort of environment did you keep the eggs to ensure they hatched?
*How long did it take the eggs to hatch out?
*Any other pertinent information will really be appreciated.

Responding to my questions may task you. You will be doing a lot of us a whole world of favour by taking us along.

God bless your hustle.

3 Likes

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by deegnity22: 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
I'm really glad I opened the agric section,I was beginning to wonder why I did until I saw this thread.
Snails are really easy to care for creatures,I just started to rare them recently because I was just seeing them everywhere in my compound due to the rainy season. I feed them with pawpaw leaves mostly and I tell you,they relish it a lot. wink
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by samshoz(m): 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2014
whirlwind7:

Brother, could you be kind enough to elaborate on the step by step procedure you took to getting the eggs, and then getting them to hatch out?
Please,
*How did you get the eggs? (I'm assuming they were laid by older snails from ur pen)
*In what sort of environment did you keep the eggs to ensure they hatched?
*How long did it take the eggs to hatch out?
*Any other pertinent information will really be appreciated.

Responding to my questions may task you. You will be doing a lot of us a whole world of favour by taking us along.

God bless your hustle.
Seconded!
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by jamadve(m): 6:28am On Jul 14, 2014
holla guys, if you are in Ibadan and you love eating snails but you don't like the stress of washing them, you can go and buy Swampies fresh snails at Zartech, agbowo branch and at all branches of Foodco... They are washed, clean and well packaged giant snails.. You'll love them when you see them...tell your friends and family too...Thanx
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by franksunny(m): 11:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
excelsiorfarm: u can breed them under banana/plantain trees,it would reduce heat intensity, wet them with watering can if outdoor, but dont water logged their habitat, for termite,initially assess your choice of location & prepare d spot well, remove dirts, it attracts termites, ash can ward them off, used engine oil can be used to mark a barrier against ants e.t.c, but u have to guard your snails also from reaching it
Thanks a million
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 11:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
Do you know that to start a snail farming it is better to go with medium-sized snails and neither small nor very large ones. Reasons:
1.with medium size ones the mortality is very low

2. Large one is too costly to start the business. Medium may cost N100- N200 while large may cost N250-N450. Assuming you wish to start with only 20 snails, you can do the arithmetic.

3. Medium sized ones may be more viable,heathy and can lay eggs since they are still young.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by Paulordiah(m): 10:21am On Aug 07, 2014
I have about half plot of land how do I start asnial farm. Can snaik farm be taken. As a full time job
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by rapmike(m): 5:15pm On Aug 07, 2014
Love this. Where can I get a manual on snail farming?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by FarmTech(m): 6:18pm On Aug 07, 2014
Paulordiah: I have about half plot of land how do I start asnial farm. Can snaik farm be taken. As a full time job
I don't think so. You hav to combine it with sth else bc it takes about 1.6 yrs for snails to mature.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by FarmTech(m): 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2014
rapmike: Love this. Where can I get a manual on snail farming?
U can get one here: https://m./1442059236027284?view=files&refid=18 .
Also google for sth like: snail farming pdf
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pmann2(m): 8:54am On Aug 09, 2014
I've read that the africa gaint snail are of 3 species (1.Achatina achantina 2. Achatina feluca 3. Achachatina marginata)... Those of you that are already into the snail farming, which of the specie is best to rear and what are you reasons. Thanks.

I also want to buy 200 medium snail for rearing... Who has to sell and how much are they sold?

1 Like

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:32pm On Aug 09, 2014
Double post.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 8:34pm On Aug 09, 2014
pmann2: I've read that the africa gaint snail are of 3 species (1.Achatina achantina 2. Achatina feluca 3. Achachatina marginata)... Those of you that are already into the snail farming, which of the specie is best to rear and what are you reasons. Thanks.

I also want to buy 200 medium snail for rearing... Who has to sell and how much are they sold?
From what I have garhered, achartina achartina lays more eggs than achartina marginata but it takes about 2 year to mature.Achartina marginata martures in few months after one year. So its advisable to rear achatina maginata. email me on formailsalone (at) gmail. com for purchasing achatina maginata. Or send your whatsapp or telegram contact phone number.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pmann2(m): 7:13am On Aug 10, 2014
pragmatistm: From what I have garhered, achartina achartina lays more eggs than achartina marginata but it takes about 2 year to mature.Achartina marginata martures in few months after one year. So its advisable to rear achatina maginata. email me on formailsalone (at) gmail. com for purchasing achatina maginata. Or send your whatsapp or telegram contact phone number.

I have sent you an email. I believe you are already into the snail farming business... Can u please eleborate on the returns using a certain start up capital. Lets assume someone invest 50000 naira... What is the minimum return that can come out of it and how long will it take to make the return... Thanks.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by sirwilly1(m): 1:52am On Sep 08, 2014
Experienced farmers here, i'll need your assistance in answering these questions.
1. Pls, what can be the minimum capital for startup? How far can a capital of 10,000 go if i start with about 10 snails?
2. What is the average rate of maturity from egg laying to adult size for sale?
3. Can the snails survive on the soil in states like Imo or enugu?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by FarmTech(m): 8:06am On Sep 08, 2014
sirwilly1: Experienced farmers here, i'll need your assistance in answering these questions.
1. Pls, what can be the minimum capital for startup? How far can a capital of 10,000 go if i start with about 10 snails?
Maturity can be as long as 1 yr and, depending on hw u feed them. Yes, they can survive in soils in those areas. Loamy soil is preferable. You can get a very good ebook in the file sectn of farmersjoint - http://www./farmersjoint
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by madgoat(m): 9:02am On Sep 08, 2014
HOW CAN ONE GET RID OF THE SLIME IN THE SNAIL PEN?

ALSO HOW CAN ONE GET RID OF TERMITES AND THOSE SMALL INSECTS DAT INHABIT THE SNAIL PEN?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by timoney45(m): 8:06am On Sep 12, 2014
Can one rear snail in a room?
I have a 16*16 room. How many snails can i rear in it?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 4:02am On Sep 13, 2014
sirwilly1: Experienced farmers here, i'll need your assistance in answering these questions.
Ok. Mr man, don't try to start snail farming as a sole business. You can do it along with other business or farming. Only ten snails too few.You can do better.It can take 1 or 2 years before they mature to table size but you can also sell before then to those who wish to rear.They can survive anywhere with good loamy soil and adequate water supply. Email me for more info. formailsalone (at) gmail. com
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 4:05am On Sep 13, 2014
timoney45: Can one rear snail in a room?
I have a 16*16 room. How many snails can i rear in it?
You can but you must prepare the room for that. google indoor snailery or . Email me for more info. formailsalone (at) gmail. com
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 4:09am On Sep 13, 2014
rapmike: Love this. Where can I get a manual on snail farming?

Email me for more info:

formailsalone (at) gmail. com
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by sapphireB: 10:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
samuelkaykay: I stocked about 200 young snails,after 2months i counted about 500 tiny and newly hatched snails.
Their best meal is pawpaw leaves and water melon.
It's fun!
Really cheesy
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by madgoat(m): 11:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
madgoat: HOW CAN ONE GET RID OF THE SLIME IN THE SNAIL PEN?

ALSO HOW CAN ONE GET RID OF TERMITES AND THOSE SMALL INSECTS DAT INHABIT THE SNAIL PEN?
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by bolutopaz(m): 12:10pm On Sep 21, 2014
1st remove, all the left over food in d pen, remove all over ripe fruits from the pen, also make sure u don't allow dead snails to b left to. Rot. In d pen
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by guchilady: 12:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
;DRily nice thread,just what I've been looking for I hope der wld b more of honesty and pictures nd no selling of manuals.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by pragmatistm(m): 6:13pm On Sep 22, 2014
guchilady: ;DRily nice thread,just what I've been looking for I hope der wld b more of honesty and pictures nd no selling of manuals.
Welcome on board. Ask your questions and honest people will answer you.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by guchilady: 2:19pm On Sep 23, 2014
Please wich specie of snail s d best in terms of lower mortality rate and higher production of eggs.
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by sapphireB: 3:24pm On Sep 23, 2014
Came across this link in the course of my research but can't access it yet (keeps saying the file is not supported by windows phone).

http://ebooktop.biz/pdf/title/snail-farming.html
Re: Snail Farming Thread -- Let's Make It Work by topearos(m): 9:54am On Oct 01, 2014
hello buddies, i need an image of out-door pen please. am about venturing into heliculture.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Your Interest, Not About Ur Money,join Our Agriculture Team Now! / Photos Of A Pig Humping A Goat In Enugu / See The Animal I Killed On A Camping Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.