Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,984 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement (13335 Views)

Health Workers "JOHESU" Calls Off Strike / JOHESU Issues Fifteen Days Ultimatum / FG Appoints Prof. Iwu, Others As Members Of FG Research Committee On Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Gentlemimi2: 7:30am On Jun 30, 2014
obi4eze:
One thing in our Nigerian system is that we want things to remain the same way,and feel threatened by change.
The change is slow in coming,but it will eventually show forth.
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by tuoyoojo(m): 7:31am On Jun 30, 2014
Its best the doctors down tools, let's the consultants made by johesu see the patient, examine and make a diagnosis, give treatment and save lives

Patients do not come to see any of the johesu people, they come to see a doctor( the others put mildly are mere support staff)

Its just similar to this analogy, because driver sabi driver oga moto, him go come talk say na him own d moto, mak oga dey call am chief? Tufia!!!

If they want to be called consultants , then dey should pay the price. Go to medical sch for 6 years, do housemanship n nysc for 2 years, write primaries, start residency, spend a minimum of 4 years, pass your part 1 and part 2 exams with all the sleepless nights and lysing from ur chiefs and hell yeah! I would call u a consultant....are we asking for too much?!

4 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by AMAKAVIOLA: 7:31am On Jun 30, 2014
Am sure the comments we have up dea are frm Intern/half baked junky doctors, Lemme fold hands and be on d watch out 1st...

3 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by tuoyoojo(m): 7:44am On Jun 30, 2014
In other news, I need this strike to go on, I need to spend some time wit my chic ( who happens to be a nurse). We "fight" at work and "make up" at home ......I smell what nma is cooking....

Drops ward coat and starts heading home...singing joyfully

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by otokx(m): 7:52am On Jun 30, 2014
Consultant drivers, consultant cleaners, in fact consultant patients. As the Man is head in his house so is the Doctor head in the medical profession. If you they do not like it they can go and buy JAMB form and read medicine. No matter how successful a woman she cannot be head in her home.
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by CoenzymeA: 8:07am On Jun 30, 2014
NWANICHODE: Doctors have to wake up before these drop outs from medical school hijack the health sector.

The question is why are doctors so scared of allowing other professions to be involved in patient care in Nigeria? The major reason is so as not expose their incompetencies. When all they do is trial by error in diagnoses and drug prescription. My mum died of heart complication because one "Consultant" in the hospital didn't know that TCA's are contraindicated in people with certain heart disease. A lot of people die prematurely or stay longer on admission from complications of drugs or not giving the right patient the right drug. Furthermore, because they are always doing trial by error they constantly change medications for patients which causes unnecessary wastage and make Nigerians who are already hard pressed financially to spend more. Fact is, studies have been conducted in other countries by their insurance companies concerning these issues and they fought for multidisciplinary approach to patient care. Apart from this, doctors had to comply because of fear of litigation where patients know their rights and sue them for high settlements for any mistake they make. In this situation doctors would do anything that would help minimize errors.

They feed the uninformed public with false information to garner support trying hard to preserve their "almighty" doctor image. The truth is that change is difficult to make, but you cannot stop it. Before Columbus, it was thought that the Earth was flat, and scientists who proposed that it was spherical were scorned; the same goes for the current gay rights that is gaining popular support these days.

Finally, so long as Nigeria belong to the comity of nations doctors and decision makers can only stall, but definitely this is what they would have to accept sooner or later.

NB: I know of people who were withdrawn from a Pharmacy School and went on to become doctors elsewhere, so there is no big deal! Come down from your high horses for the general good of the patients who your swore to take care of.

10 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Davo93(m): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2014
Gentlemimi2:
Last i checked,health workers (pharmacists,med lab scientists,physiotherapists,nurses B. Sc,) spend five years in school,plus an additional one yr internship training.
People who study in school of health are the technicians(med lab tech,pharmacist tech....etc).
Pls,understand basic facts like this before displaying ignorance on this forum.
Alright. I really appreciate that clarification.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by obi4eze(m): 8:26am On Jun 30, 2014
Co-enzymeA:

The question is why are doctors so scared of allowing other professions to be involved in patient care in Nigeria? The major reason is so as not expose their incompetencies. When all they do is trial by error in diagnoses and drug prescription. My mum died of heart complication because one "Consultant" in the hospital didn't know that TCA's are contraindicated in people with certain heart disease. A lot of people die prematurely or stay longer on admission from complications of drugs or not giving the right patient the right drug. Furthermore, because they are always doing trial by error they constantly change medications for patients which causes unnecessary wastage and make Nigerians who are already hard pressed financially to spend more. Fact is, studies have been conducted in other countries by their insurance companies concerning these issues and they fought for multidisciplinary approach to patient care. Apart from this, doctors had to comply because of fear of litigation where patients know their rights and sue them for high settlements for any mistake they make. In this situation doctors would do anything that would help minimize errors.

They feed the uninformed public with false information to garner support trying hard to preserve their "almighty" doctor image. The truth is that change is difficult to make, but you cannot stop it. Before Columbus, it was thought that the Earth was flat, and scientists who proposed that it was spherical were scorned; the same goes for the current gay rights that is gaining popular support these days.

Finally, so long as Nigeria belong to the comity of nations doctors and decision makers can only stall, but definitely this is what they would have to accept sooner or later.

NB: I know of people who were withdrawn from a Pharmacy School and went on to become doctors elsewhere, so there is no big deal! Come down from your high horses for the general good of the patients who your swore to take care of.
1000000000 likes
Even the doctors know that diagnosis and treatment are mere guess work without the other professionals. They don't want to expose themselves. If they aren't afraid, let them allow the FG sign the agreement.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by donchrisk(m): 8:27am On Jun 30, 2014
NWANICHODE: Doctors have to wake up before these drop outs from medical school hijack the health sector.
stop posting rubish. Who told you that all other health professional applied for medicine 1st. I never one day apply for medicine I studied med lab witout applyin for medicine. Meanwhile for a record drs are professional in their own field while I am a professional in my field. In as much he cannot do what I do. They should allow us produce our consultant period.
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by phibah: 8:44am On Jun 30, 2014
Doctors are not awarded Consultancy by virtue of years of practice....they earn it thru enrolment in a Residency program and many years of rigorous, painful, financially demanding training in their chosen specialty......one cannot just stay without any active training and want to be made a consultant....JOHESU take note.

7 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Uncleodi(m): 9:06am On Jun 30, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

Guy! stop exhibiting ignorance.
A consultant Surgeon has proficiency in a vast array of life-saving & life-improving operations. What will be the value of a consultant nurse, physiotherapist or lab technician ( yes, not scientist) in a hospital setting...

Your agitations are nothing more than a selfish scheme to earn salaries similar to doctors' despite not having the same academic pedigree or value to the society.

Nice one Bro. I am a doc and I know what I suffered to get there.
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by proffemi: 9:11am On Jun 30, 2014
I hope the gardeners and gate men in the hospitals are also members of JOHESU, so that they too can become consultants after years of experience. Or are you trying to tell me that they do not perform important roles?

This stupidity will continue unless we allow common sense to prevail. Fact is: hospitals exist to allow patients get treated. The people who treat patients are DOCTORS. Simple. It is true that there are other important professionals without whom this system will not work, e.g. pharmacists. However, these are simply support staff that make the doctor-patient relationship work. In my opinion, doctors are primary professionals in hospitals while most JOHESU members are secondary stakeholders. Others are tertiary stakeholders.

This same rubbish rears up its ugly head in the universities from time to time. We are just fortunate that ASUU is not as territorial as NMA, otherwise, the universities would have become ungovernable many years ago.

This is one of the reasons why methinks that despite our loud protestations to the contrary, what Nigeria needs is a benevolent dictator.

* Full disclosure: I speak from a thoroughly neutral position. I have good, competent, and professional friends in both NMA and JOHESU. Also, please do not assume I am particularly enamored with NMA. Just like ASUU, they spew out more than their fair share of rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by agentowolabi47(m): 9:21am On Jun 30, 2014
@ gentlmimi...pls stop opening n closing ur bucal cavity witot making sure ur cerebrum sends impulses n reasonabl sentences.....wat is t pharmacists are doin sef,u talk of surgical procedure dat cnt hapn witot dispensn some items.who cnt dispense items,evn a sec. sch graduate knws wat a sterile glove is once Ts written on d pack,which is always......n talkn of cancer test, cd4 count,re u serious? do u knw wat dey call pathologist!.o.k u dnt?dey re dr. Who re learned in cancer studies, microbiology,chemical pathology n more...bt u wldnt knw cos ur arguing blindly....n come to fink of t,....dose guys re jst bin employed to reduce d unemploymnt rate,because wen dey re on strike at u.i.t.h we de medical students take up dere work witot any problem at all,nt knwn dey re nt availabl sef....apart frm d potty carryn,whch I salute d porters.....bt before u open ur mouth gbagaun u beta knw wat ur sayn.tank u

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Amucha: 9:28am On Jun 30, 2014
That you are a consultant does not mean that a Dr will be added to your name. I think that other health workers will become consultants by furthering and getting more knowledge. Saying that other health workers should not become consultants is limiting knowledge and rendering them stagnant. People should explore knowledge and proper remuneration given to the exploration irrespective of discipline.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Amucha: 9:33am On Jun 30, 2014
hopsydboi: from real sense, what are we talking about? If I may ask. U̶̲̥̅̊ talking about equating a surgeon to a lab scientist? U̅ r a joker. Damm unity

It does not mean that a lab scientist will become a surgeon but that a lab scientist becomes more effective having studied more to become a consultant lab scientist, like the surgeon studied more to become one
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Miriam4cool(f): 9:36am On Jun 30, 2014
I will start by saying" the society is not a graveyard so therefore their must be a level of conflict".
I embrace the idea of conflict of who is who in the health sector in Nigeria because this is the only way it can move foward.
The problem we have in Nigeria is that some set of people have the title "UNTOUCHABLE NO MATTER WHAT I DO", and the funny thing is their is no revolution against them.
So I highly appreciate what JOHESU is doing because this will help the health sector to move foward.
Remember the doctors who claim they are the head can't function without the nurses, pharmacist, Med.lab, radiographers etc. Doctors need these professions more than they need themselves.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 30, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

A consultant Surgeon has proficiency in a vast array of life-saving & life-improving operations. What will be the value of a consultant nurse, physiotherapist or lab technician ( yes, not scientist) in a hospital setting...

Your agitations are nothing more than a selfish scheme to earn salaries similar to doctors' despite not having the same academic pedigree or value to the society.

Sorry Abortion Dokita, The Consultant Nurse, pharmacists, Physio, and Scientists do not exist in advanced climes so "they can compete with Physician salary", thinking in that manner reveals you as a stone-age practitioner with pre-pleistocene mentality. It can't work in a country with millions of enlightened minds like Nigeria, you can ship yourself back to the dinosaur-age, practice there and sing kumbaya.

You can also put a call through to the UK government and protest against the existence of people like Gary Moore, a Consultant Biomedical Scientist(FIBMS, UK) in their country. I wish you luck

Modern Health care practice was not articulated in Nigeria, selective implementation of what suits only Nigerian physicians can no longer be sustainable in a multi-disciplinary health sector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKhskzCHY0I

BTW Let me enlighten people like you Medical Lab. technicians exist and are very important in the laboratory, they are associate diploma holders and work under the supervision of a "Medical Laboratory Scientist" or "Scientist" who is a 5+1 YEAR internship University B.MLS degree holder with a federal license. Note, it is either you call them "Medical Laboratory Scientists" or "Scientists" according to this federal document. Check Section 29 for the titles. That's what the law says, you can't be more important than the LAW.

http://www.mlscn.gov.ng/files/mlscn_docs/MLSCN_ACT.pdf

I'm sure many folks will benefit from this.

on the side: We'll soon do an expose on a the salary relativity between Intern/Resident doctors and experienced Pharmacists, Scientists, Physio and Nurses in the U.S, U.K and other advanced climes and then compare with Nigeria.

It will be shocking to many that Nigeria is the only place where Intern/Resident docs undeservedly earn far more than experienced Pharmacist, Scientists and Nurses. In advanced climes, it is totally THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

4 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by beckycool: 10:22am On Jun 30, 2014
I think every proffession has the right to request for whatever it is they want. If nurses should go on strike I bet,even the doctors wiLl get tired! The doctors are too arrogant and selfish... Let's see where all these take them to.

2 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 30, 2014
YourHealthlabs: I'm very optimistic that the agreements will be implemented, No group of people will stop Nigerians from having their own Consultant Physiotherapists, Consultant pharmacists, Consultant Scientists and other important fields of health care. We will fight for what is obtainable in advanced climes and implement them here.

Nobody has a monopoly of strike actions any longer. JOHESU is YOUNG and is waxing strong by the day. The only way to break JOHESU is to give all health professionals what is due to to them.
Nigerians are behind JOHESU in this struggle

2 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by king65(m): 10:43am On Jun 30, 2014
tuoyoojo: Its best the doctors down tools, let's the consultants made by johesu see the patient, examine and make a diagnosis, give treatment and save lives

Patients do not come to see any of the johesu people, they come to see a doctor( the others put mildly are mere support staff)

Its just similar to this analogy, because driver sabi driver oga moto, him go come talk say na him own d moto, mak oga dey call am chief? Tufia!!!

If they want to be called consultants , then dey should pay the price. Go to medical sch for 6 years, do housemanship n nysc for 2 years, write primaries, start residency, spend a minimum of 4 years, pass your part 1 and part 2 exams with all the sleepless nights and lysing from ur chiefs and hell yeah! I would call u a consultant....are we asking for too much?!

You obviously do not understand the clamour for consultancy in other fields. Being a consultant lab scientist, physiotherapist, pharmacist and radiographer doesn't mean they are at the same level with consultant surgeons etc. it is only to improve these professions so that people will read further and develop themselves in their various fields. Now tell me what does a surgeon do when an RTA patient is brought to him. Does he open up immediately or sends the patient to the radiology dept for a ct scan or MRI? When you want to talk leave being a doctor aside and understand how the health sector works properly before you speak. Nobody is lord over the other as long as the health sector is concerned, everybody is important and vital.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 30, 2014
Amucha: That you are a consultant does not mean that a Dr will be added to your name. I think that other health workers will become consultants by furthering and getting more knowledge. Saying that other health workers should not become consultants is limiting knowledge and rendering them stagnant. People should explore knowledge and proper remuneration given to the exploration irrespective of discipline.

A billion likes...JOHESU is not saying that it's professionals will have "consultant title" shared to them like piece of cakes. To become a Consultant you MUST acquire more knowledge for professional advancement as obtainable in advanced climes, just as we have the POSTGRADUATE COLLEGE OF MEDICINE, we also have WEST AFRICAN COLLEGE OF PHARMACISTS (WACP) and WEST AFRICAN COLLEGE OF MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS(WAPCMLS), but our emperor doctors will have none of that. As far they are concerned they must place a "glass ceiling" over the professional growth of other Health professionals and we say NO!.

As i speak to you Dictator DR Ahmadu Ali (NMA member)-led NUC board, have released a circular to stop the study of Medical lab. Science in our Universities, he was also instrumental in the stoppage of Pharm.D program. Are we a communist country?

2 Likes

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by SWG1: 10:54am On Jun 30, 2014
tuoyoojo: Its best the doctors down tools, let's the consultants made by johesu see the patient, examine and make a diagnosis, give treatment and save lives

Most comments in here seems to be biased. So u think that i ve never gone for lab test or buy drugs in the hospital without seeing a doctor. If other professional are giving chance to read for consultancy the will read my brother. I think all you medical workers are suffering from selfishness egocentric disease Starting from NMA to recently infected JOHESU

I think govt should just scrap those CONHESS/CONMESS salary and use uniform structure admist placing everyone according to num of yrs of training. Then the office of CMD should be the most qualified personal stipulated by the constitution. Who does like it should resign. And start his own, ppl cant be threating our govt and aiding the death of patients. u ppl are not the only professionals in the world.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by SWG1: 10:57am On Jun 30, 2014

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by omotalkie(f): 10:59am On Jun 30, 2014
Gentlemimi2:
Meehhhhnnn! Your ignorance is first class! And you displayed it so galantly on a social media. Yeeepa!
You think pharmacists are worthless? Have you been in the setting of a federal or even state hospital? No procedure/operation can take place without certain medical and pharmaceutical items. How many private pharmacists are capable of getting them? It goes beyond dispensation of drugs.
As for laboratory,how many pvt labs conduct CD4 count/viral load,DNA testing,histopathological/cytological analysis,CA/CEA cancer testing?......the list is endless. All at subsidized prices too?
As for nurses,you think they dn't have any weight to pull around? Many times they've saved medical officers from serious fuckups. You think doctors alone can handle patient care,medical procedures and patient management all on his own?
Doctors cannot cope alone. Even the dietician ,physiotherapists and co play vital roles in the health sector.
Nigeria is a damn country mehn! Foreign countries exhibit a high class of professional courtsey. Even an average Nigerian thinks other health workers are worthless.
The few days NUPTAM went on strike at OAUTH Ile Ife in 2011,the effect was enormous. All services rendered by the doctors were ''skeletal'' services. Two lives were lost during those few days.
My dear tell them oooo. Isn't it obvious dat empty vessels makes d loudest noise? Most of these so called drs don't even knw their onus. One has lost count of their various fvckps ranging from misdiagnosis, wrong prescribtion, procedure error et all etc, but yet they'll still wakeup to claim superiority. Smh for them
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by dojumav: 11:06am On Jun 30, 2014
Davo93: SMH for Nigeria. So someone who spent 3 years in College of Health Tech., Akure want to be on thesame salary scale with someone who spent 6 years or more in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife? The gods must be crazy!!
ure here exposing ur stupidity... Ook u don't know dat dre are cadre in d lab unit... We have the technicians, scientist (bmls)... So go do ur research again..
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by IdomaLikita: 11:09am On Jun 30, 2014
Both NMA and JOHESU are Selfish.
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Arsenate(m): 11:18am On Jun 30, 2014
lmao, Nigeria have the dumbest set of doctors. bunch of egomaniacs with nothing to offer.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by phantom(m): 11:30am On Jun 30, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin....this your post is the long and short of it...
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Shori(m): 11:38am On Jun 30, 2014
agentowolabi47: @ gentlmimi...pls stop opening n closing ur bucal cavity witot making sure ur cerebrum sends impulses n reasonabl sentences.....wat is t pharmacists are doin sef,u talk of surgical procedure dat cnt hapn witot dispensn some items.who cnt dispense items,evn a sec. sch graduate knws wat a sterile glove is once Ts written on d pack,which is always......n talkn of cancer test, cd4 count,re u serious? do u knw wat dey call pathologist!.o.k u dnt?dey re dr. Who re learned in cancer studies, microbiology,chemical pathology n more...bt u wldnt knw cos ur arguing blindly....n come to fink of t,....dose guys re jst bin employed to reduce d unemploymnt rate,because wen dey re on strike at u.i.t.h we de medical students take up dere work witot any problem at all,nt knwn dey re nt availabl sef....apart frm d potty carryn,whch I salute d porters.....bt before u open ur mouth gbagaun u beta knw wat ur sayn.tank u
Really had a hard time reading thing. . . You're such an amazing medical student with ''great'' writing skill. Thumbs up!
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Nobody: 11:56am On Jun 30, 2014
After spending six gruesome years in medical school, surviving mb's upon mb's, depriving myself of fun and pleasure and to God be the glory, I graduated as a medical doctor, you want to enjoy same privilege with me. Why didn't you get the grades good enough to see you through med school or do well in utme so as to gain admission into med school. Mtcheew
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2014
dojumav: ure here exposing ur stupidity... Ook u don't know dat dre are cadre in d lab unit... We have the technicians, scientist (bmls)... So go do ur research again..

For those humble enough to learn, there are three cadres in the lab according to the law:-

http://www.mlscn.gov.ng/files/mlscn_docs/MLSCN_ACT.pdf

"Medical Laboratory Assistants" or "Assistants"

"Medical Laboratory Technicians" or "Technicians"

"Medical Laboratory Scientists" or "Scientists".

It has come to my notice that our "know-all", imperialistic physicians are not comfortable with the title "Scientists" as ascribed to MLS practitioners under law as obtainable globally, does it also take any shine away from them?

funny peeps..
grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Court Stops Implementation of FG/JOHESU Agreement by Peaceworld(m): 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2014
Been reading some of the write-ups here and I must say that I am ashamed of what doctors are writing here. They brought in Surgeon General and left out other aspects of the working health sector in other developed countries. Consultancy is not just for doctors. TRUE. Director is not just for Doctors. FACT. Why is NMA so selfish? What is their problem? No other health professional will ever get what doctors are getting, so why the superiority complex?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Medical Council Arrests Over 30 Quacks, Sanctions 122 Practitioners / African Iba Herbal Mixture / Whats The Difference Between A Patent Medicine Store, A Medicine Store,pharmacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.