Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,910 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? (18394 Views)

A Man's Love Or A Woman's Submission, Which Should Come First? / Which Should Come First Between Career & Marriage In A Family? / Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2014
Mettal: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you Ladie Sophie,love consultant and advisor.grin grin grin
grin grin grin

Funny you.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Oahray: 5:22pm On Jun 30, 2014
bukatyne:

Eph 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%205&version=KJV

According to the bolded, who is inferior/superior?
lemme answer with the Bible too. The same Paul who wrote that to the Ephesians wrote this to the Phillipians. The context of Ephesians 5:21 shows that it is directed to all Christians. The admonition to husbands and wives starts from verse 22. Never ignore context.

Read Phillipians 2 : 3. I'd quote from many translations.

New International Version
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain
conceit. Rather, in humility value others
above yourselves,

New Living Translation
Don't be selfish; don't try to impress
others. Be humble, thinking of others as
better than yourselves.

English Standard Version
Do nothing from selfish ambition or
conceit, but in humility count others
more significant than yourselves.

New American Standard Bible
Do nothing from selfishness or empty
conceit, but with humility of mind regard
one another as more important than
yourselves;

King James Bible
Let nothing be done through strife or
vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let
each esteem other better than themselves.
http://biblehub.com/philippians/2-3.htm

Isn't it clear? When we view others as better than us or respect them, submission naturally follows. It's the reason Paul tells wives that the husband is the head of his wife, providing the basis for submission. It's the God-given authority that they submit to. It's not rocket science, ma'am.

2 Likes

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Oahray: 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2014
bukatyne: @Oahray,

Bible defines love in 1 Cor 13: 4 - 7 as:

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud

5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.

6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.

7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

8 Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+corinthians+13&version=NLT

What is submission?
submission is yielding to authority out of fear or respect. What's your point?

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Oahray: 5:34pm On Jun 30, 2014
Dolly-Parton:

Well my mother's love for me was unconditional till she died and my father's love is still. I looked/look at them and see nothing but unconditional love, Even with all my mess.
And if u noticed I said pure love.
awww... Sorry about your mum. Being their child is already a condition, one you wouldn't have to renew from time to time.
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by baby124: 5:55pm On Jun 30, 2014
Sijo01: LOVE!......... A woman can submit the whole of her and forget about herself is she's loved.

You are a wise woman

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by mcol11: 6:26pm On Jun 30, 2014
Hmmm abeg d bible said in vs 21 of dat eph 5 dat both of them should submit unto one another

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Crystalline(f): 6:28pm On Jun 30, 2014
shizzle11:
for the sake of those trying to outsmart themselves and clarity, please tell us are you talking about a husband/wife relationship or parent-to-child rship? thanks

I'm talking about husband/wife relationship
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by naijaboyof4life(m): 7:04pm On Jun 30, 2014
Oahray: dude, romantic love is overrated. Most times, love isn't even a cause but an effect. Some things have to happen first before love can grow, but since they are not always consciously carried out, we think love is a magic seed that grows everywhere and anywhere.

You must not know what love is. I said LOVE not ROMANCE, big difference.
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Oahray: 7:10pm On Jun 30, 2014
naijaboyof4life:

You must not know what love is. I said LOVE not ROMANCE, big difference.
smh... He doesn't even realise there's something called romantic love.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by shizzle11(m): 8:24pm On Jun 30, 2014
Crystalline:

I'm talking about husband/wife relationship
ok!
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Mettal: 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2014
shizzle11:
for the sake of those trying to outsmart themselves and clarity, please tell us are you talking about a husband/wife relationship or parent-to-child rship? thanks
why do i have a feeling you are referring to me?
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2014
Love will lead to submission... PERIOD.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by shizzle11(m): 11:45pm On Jun 30, 2014
Mettal: why do i have a feeling you are referring to me?
Now how am i supposed to respond to this?, did you read the comments above?, and understood them? anyway the person i referred to already responded.
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Mettal: 5:30am On Jul 01, 2014
shizzle11:
Now how am i supposed to respond to this?, did you read the comments above?, and understood them? anyway the person i referred to already responded.
sorry brotha, but your profile pic is killing. grin
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by speedy4u(m): 7:45am On Jul 01, 2014
LOVE always comes first! Remember Christ loved the world even when it was still in rebellion against him and His enemy. He literally wooed us with His Love, till we lovingly and willingly submitted ourselves to our loving Lord as His bride. Then as we gave our lives to Him, we gradually began to grow in our ability to love and submit to Him who loves us with a perfect love. But then, as we daily walk with him as His beloved bride, we find ourselves every now and then, failing in submitting ourselves to our loving Lord. What does He do when his beloved Bride rebel against Him even after they have become one? Withdraw His love or reject His bride? No He continues to love her even more, because that was how he found, wooed and changed her in the first place. Love is His instrument of correction! Love is all He has to give and His love is always unconditional. It is not conditioned on our submitting to him. So, this is exactly what the Bible means when it admonishes the husband to love the wife as Christ loved the Church. Dont wait for her to submit before you love her. Love her to submission! Love is the greatest. Love never fails. Love always works!

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by BluStreak(m): 8:31am On Jul 01, 2014
With the way things are going on in this generation, marriage will soon be redefined. Values have been lost. Wives don't see the need to submit to their husbands. They want to live and dress and carry themselves like single ladies still hunting for men. That to me is paranoia - you can't eat your cake and have it. No happy man at home wants to mess around with other women outside. If no vacuum is created, there won't be one to feel. Wives submit to your husbands. Men understand the emotional needs of women, but you ain't getting none if you ain't submissive and respectful. Marriage as we know it might soon become just co-habitation if we continue on this road of misrepresented/misinterpreted gender equality.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by shizzle11(m): 10:18am On Jul 01, 2014
Mettal: sorry brotha, but your profile pic is killing. grin
Tell me something grin
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Mrkachi(m): 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
Love brings about submission; you can't be submissive to someone u don't love.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
God that owns all power, please give me a submissive partner to marry

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by jpphilips(m): 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
Crystalline: A man says...I don't love my wife because she is not submissive perhaps if she were submissive, i'd have loved her.

A woman says...I am not submissive to my husband because he doesn't love me, if he had shown me love, i'd have been submissive.

Ephesians 5:22...wives be submissive to your husbands as unto the LORD

Ephesians 5:25...husbands love your wives just as CHRIST loves the church.

Now my question is "which should come first...LOVE or SUBMISSION?"

Your honest views are welcome.

22 comes before 25, common sense!

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Swker(m): 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2014
They both are not same to be compared. Men are meant to love cos the own love according to the bible husbandlove ur wife and as for women, its impossible for them to love cos its not in them that's why the bible tasked them to just be SUBMISSIVE.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 1:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
ihedinobi2:
It "should not" be conditional o...

But it is, in fact grin We love God because He first loved us. And as we to God so the woman to the man.

If men are truly the leaders the Bible makes them out to be, their love should come first. The man's love is what the woman responds to with her submission.

Well well well

Can't remember if I commented on this thread

Strange you have this ideology.

Opened a thread once with this line and it was called non nonsense

It is an individual stuff anyways
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 1:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
Oahray:
lemme answer with the Bible too. The same Paul who wrote that to the Ephesians wrote this to the Phillipians. The context of Ephesians 5:21 shows that it is directed to all Christians. The admonition to husbands and wives starts from verse 22. Never ignore context.

Read Phillipians 2 : 3. I'd quote from many translations.

New International Version
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain
conceit. Rather, in humility value others
above yourselves,

New Living Translation
Don't be selfish; don't try to impress
others. Be humble, thinking of others as
better than yourselves.

English Standard Version
Do nothing from selfish ambition or
conceit, but in humility count others
more significant than yourselves.

New American Standard Bible
Do nothing from selfishness or empty
conceit, but with humility of mind regard
one another as more important than
yourselves;

King James Bible
Let nothing be done through strife or
vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let
each esteem other better than themselves.
http://biblehub.com/philippians/2-3.htm

Isn't it clear? When we view others as better than us or respect them, submission naturally follows. It's the reason Paul tells wives that the husband is the head of his wife, providing the basis for submission. It's the God-given authority that they submit to. It's not rocket science, ma'am.

I don't know why I did not respond you, my apologies

What is the difference between submission you defined and love I defined as referenced in the Bible?

Is a husband not to put his wife first and treat her better than himself?

Does that mean he is inferior to the wife?

Remember those verses are to us as Christians; does that mean all Christians are inferior to each other?
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by Juzzybabe(f): 5:28pm On Dec 18, 2014
Love is very very important and it should come first because once there is love,every other thing including submissiveness and friendliness will follow. Some marriages are sustained on submissiveness alone and believe me,it is like endurance,it makes the wife afraid of her husband and living with him like she's living with her principled daddy who is always too careful to smile. Such marriages aren't sweet.
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by ihedinobi2: 9:11pm On Dec 18, 2014
bukatyne:

Well well well

Can't remember if I commented on this thread

Strange you have this ideology.

Opened a thread once with this line and it was called non nonsense

It is an individual stuff anyways
How is it strange?
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 9:12am On Dec 20, 2014
ihedinobi2:

How is it strange?

Never mind
Re: Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? by illicit(m): 7:39am On Dec 21, 2014
Sijo01:
LOVE!......... A woman can submit the whole of her and forget about herself is she's loved.

this might just make her arrogant

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mention Myth Your Parents Made You Believe As Achild / A Law Banning Poor Men From Polygamy. / Occult Married Neighbour Wants To Date Me By All Means Pls Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.