Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions (689 Views)

Two Brothers Batter Church Ushers Over Indecent Dressing / Ancestral Religion Versus Imported Religions / Rccg Holy Ghost Congress 2011 Tagged "A New Thing" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions by AmunRaOlodumare: 3:17am On Jun 30, 2014
Browsing the web, I stepped on this site:
http://ecer-org.eu/

Nowadays in Europe and America most people are atheist (or agnostic/agnostic theist), preferring let's say a more natural/scientific world view. As people know the foundation of modern European culture is based on Ancient Greece. The greatest civilizations of the world including Ancient Greece, the Roman Republic and Empire, Ancient Egypt, etc were pagan nations. Only at the end of the Roman Empire did Constantine convert people to Christianity. A case can be made that it led to the downfall of the Roman Empire. Then Europe went into the horrible dark ages. Only to be revived by the Renaissance. The renaissance often based on science and culture developed in Ancient Greece (Mathematics, Philosophy, Democracy, Freedom of speech, etc).

In Asia, the situation is a bit different since many people maintained their linkage to their ancestral traditions. Shinto, Hindu, etc. So in Europe a question I have about many ancient tradition revival is about how authentic they are compared to the tradition practiced by their ancestors. I don't know the situation but I would guess Hellenismos religions are probably pretty authentic while some Celtic revivalist may be less authentic **but still perfectly fine**. Of course, as humanity in general, ancient traditions are always evolving. For example, the use of metal was integrated into many African traditions and religious discourse (like Ogun in Yoruba). Same for other modern technology and lifestyle. We are always in constant communication with the other side. The sun is always there and influence us even in the night, even if we can't see it directly.

Human societies like individual humans are constantly evolving with a foundation in the past. The same way we are born baby and grow to become adult and wiser. Human societies are on their own path of spiritual development from barbarian to being more civilized and advanced. Of course, this is always done in continuity with the past.

European Congress of Ethnic Religions!
Των Εθνικών Ευρωπαϊκή Εκκλησία!

The purpose of the ECER is to serve as an international body that will assist Ethnic Religious groups in various countries and will oppose discrimination against such groups.

By Ethnic Religion, we mean religion, spirituality, and cosmology that is firmly grounded in a particular people’s traditions. In our view, this does not include modern occult or ariosophic theories/ideologies, nor syncretic neo-religions.

There's many revivalist movements in America and Europe. I respect also the idea of having it grounded firmly in particular people's traditions, so those are not new religions but spiritual traditions passed down from their ancestors. New religions are fine too, I support religious tolerance in all its form (**when reciprocal of course**) but they don't carry the same weight imo, as anybody can make himself a prophet. True ethnic religion are firmly grounded in a particular people's tradition. Constantly evolving in continuity with the past.

Unity in Diversity

1 Like

Re: Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:04am On Jun 30, 2014
they are hopeless.
Re: Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions by macof(m): 11:50am On Jun 30, 2014
that's nice, The whole world would be pagan again
Re: Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions by AmunRaOlodumare: 1:16pm On Jun 30, 2014
macof: that's nice, The whole world would be pagan again
Personally, I don't think any religions are about to disappear completely including atheist and agnostic believers. If the revivalist movements in America and Europe would increase in importance, I think it would be more about making pagan traditions an important part of the cultural heritage in Europe, since practitioners would be widespread at all level of the society (for example, in schools, new holidays, movies, celebrations, philosophy, ethics, morality, etc). It would form an important part of the pragmatic cultural heritage at all level of the society.
Re: Support To Our European Brothers - European Congress Of Ethnic Religions by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:10pm On Jun 30, 2014
Either we want and do it delibrately or indelibrately, we are all aborisha

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Arrested For Allegedly Killing His Friend For Rituals / False Shepherds On Social Media / Why Are Animals Afraid Of Dying Too?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.