Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Leaking Sun Roof - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Leaking Sun Roof (1731 Views)

Water Leaking Into My Car. / Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light / Pls Help Leaking Power Steering Oil In My 1999 Toyota Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leaking Sun Roof by cecegorz(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2014
Guys I need a good sun roof repair hands in Lagos.
I have a car that the sun roof has not been opened for a long time, only to notice that water seeps into the roof when it rains.

Anybody with the contact of a tested technician should drop the info.
Re: Leaking Sun Roof by Kashif(m): 2:22pm On Jun 30, 2014
You can do it yourself. Open the sunroof and locate the drains on the front flanks of the water tray. Make sure it is clear (I use broom stick). These drain pipes pass through the fron roof bars. When clear, water poured into that tray will find itself around the front door hinges.

Hope this helps.
Re: Leaking Sun Roof by cecegorz(m): 4:58pm On Jun 30, 2014
^^^
Thanks Kashif,
The issue is that the roof doesn't open any more. When you press the 'open' button, you'll just hear a sound as if it wants to open but nothing happens.
Re: Leaking Sun Roof by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 30, 2014
Seal the outer edges with water resistant gum and cure
Re: Leaking Sun Roof by luvinhubby(m): 8:03pm On Jun 30, 2014
cecegorz: ^^^
Thanks Kashif,
The issue is that the roof doesn't open any more. When you press the 'open' button, you'll just hear a sound as if it wants to open but nothing happens.
Then get an auto electrician to help you get the roof working and clear the drains as you were told.

1 Like

Re: Leaking Sun Roof by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 30, 2014
adeniyisavage: Seal the outer edges with water resistant gum and cure

Bad advice, bruh.

That is merely masking an inherent problem. That rubbish that is used as a "seal" by Nigerian mechanics actually traps moisture. The sunroof channels will be left with water that can't drain out. Eventually it will rot the roof, leading to a bigger issue than there currently are.

The obvious solution is to get the sunroof panel open somehow, even manually. Most electric sunroofs have an emergency manual mode. Unfortunately, as is the norm in Nigeria, the thread starter has left out the basics. No one (except him / herself) knows what car he / she is referring to.
Re: Leaking Sun Roof by oweniwe(m): 12:05am On Jul 01, 2014
@ Siena: the thread starter probably thinks that all cars sun roof are same. . /have same operating/Maintenance procedure
Re: Leaking Sun Roof by cecegorz(m): 12:36pm On Jul 01, 2014
adeniyisavage: Seal the outer edges with water resistant gum and cure
^^^
There goes the layman's advice. Seal the edges and leave the trapped waters inside to rot away the roof

Siena:
Bad advice, bruh.
That is merely masking an inherent problem. That rubbish that is used as a "seal" by Nigerian mechanics actually traps moisture. The sunroof channels will be left with water that can't drain out. Eventually it will rot the roof, leading to a bigger issue than there currently are.
The obvious solution is to get the sunroof panel open somehow, even manually. Most electric sunroofs have an emergency manual mode. Unfortunately, as is the norm in Nigeria, the thread starter has left out the basics. No one (except him / herself) knows what car he / she is referring to.

The Car is '99 Camry. Good to know there is a manual option for emergency opening. I'll appreciate advise on how to do that. Once I can get it open once again, I'll be able to locate the drain pipes and flush them for free water flow.

(1) (Reply)

Full Tank / Problems With Toyota Camry / Auto Challenge: Can You Fill In The Blank Spaces?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.