Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light (4016 Views)

Engine Leaking Oil Seriously. / Fuel Consumption In Camry 1996 Canadian Built / "Open Hood" Notification In Camry 2007 XLE V6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by ebner70(m): 12:27pm On Jan 11, 2015
My 99 Camry has been leaking oil for some weeks now, I have tried looking for area of leakage to no avail, I notice the leakage whenever the car is on, I want to see a mechanic but need some ideas so that 'they no go open office for my head'
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:02pm On Jan 11, 2015
ebner70:
My 99 Camry has been leaking oil for some weeks now, I have tried looking for area of leakage to no avail, I notice the leakage whenever the car is on, I want to see a mechanic but need some ideas so that 'they no go open office for my head'

Remove your agbada, start the car, pull the parking brakes, get a mat and go under. Or drive to a pit remove your agbada go under and look for the leak while the engine is running. Take a pic, upload it here.

2 Likes

Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by senator2k9(m): 1:03pm On Jan 12, 2015
Bro u didn't tell us which oil was leaking. U knw ur gearbox uses 2 types of oil. The Gear oil and the axle Oil. If its the gear oil oil den its probably frm the bottom plate, buy a bottom plate gasket n make sure all d knots are properly tied. Bt if its frm d axle then perhaps its d axle oil seal. Make sure ur mechanic washes the entire axle wit fuel so dat u can check if the new oil seal he puts is not stil leaking, pix of d oil seal in d axle in d pix below. I once bought it for 1k, it could be more or less depends on ur location

Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by ogawisdom(m): 2:21pm On Jan 14, 2015
ebner70:

O boy na ur gear box oil seal dt is weak, it is sold bw 200 n 400 naira. Ur mech can change dt for u n u settle him workmanship dts all. In d mean time keep toppin up d ATF.

2 Likes

Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:04pm On Jan 14, 2015
senator2k9:
Bro u didn't tell us which oil was leaking. U knw ur gearbox uses 2 types of oil. The Gear oil and the axle Oil. If its the gear oil oil den its probably frm the bottom plate, buy a bottom plate gasket n make sure all d knots are properly tied. Bt if its frm d axle then perhaps its d axle oil seal. Make sure ur mechanic washes the entire axle wit fuel so dat u can check if the new oil seal he puts is not stil leaking, pix of d oil seal in d axle in d pix below. I once bought it for 1k, it could be more or less depends on ur location

how did you know that his car a 4 wheel drive or rear drive with a differential box (axle)

are all 99 camry's rear drive or 4 wheel drive ?

oil can also leak between gaskets of the housing
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 14, 2015
ogawisdom:

O boy na ur gear box oil seal dt is weak, it is sold bw 200 n 400 naira. Ur mech can change dt for u n u settle him workmanship dts all. In d mean time keep toppin up d ATF.

All this advice, without you or Ebner knowing where the leak actually is?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by ogawisdom(m): 7:26pm On Jan 14, 2015
Siena:

All this advice, without you or Ebner knowing where the leak actually is?? undecided

We r telling him d likely causes of d leak. Anything wrong wit dt tongue by d way wat do u tink is wrong
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by senator2k9(m): 9:16pm On Jan 14, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

how did you know that his car a 4 wheel drive or rear drive with a differential box (axle)

are all 99 camry's rear drive or 4 wheel drive ?

oil can also leak between gaskets of the housing
Bro, u jst want to comment so dat u wil shw d world u are an expert or wat? He stated dat his car is a Camry Pencil light, all pencil light camry has an axle dat propels the shaft, then the shaft propels wheels. 1999 camry (pencil light) has 4 types of oils it uses, namely: power steering oil, Engine oil, transmission oil and the Axle oil. If u feel dat is only cars with 4wd or rear drive dat has an axle then u are stil living in ur Peugeot 504 and pickup days. Make ur enquiries well next tym and don't come and embarrass urself on my post next tym.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2015
ogawisdom:

We r telling him d likely causes of d leak. Anything wrong wit dt tongue by d way wat do u tink is wrong

Not true, bro. YOU (not WE) are NOT telling him the likely causes of the leak. YOU (not WE) are advising him to replace a seal that may not be the cause of the leak.

There's a big difference, bro.
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 14, 2015
senator2k9:
Bro, u jst want to comment so dat u wil shw d world u are an expert or wat? He stated dat his car is a Camry Pencil light, all pencil light camry has an axle dat propels the shaft, then the shaft propels wheels. 1999 camry (pencil light) has 4 types of oils it uses, namely: power steering oil, Engine oil, transmission oil and the Axle oil. If u feel dat is only cars with 4wd or rear drive dat has an axle then u are stil living in ur Peugeot 504 and pickup days. Make ur enquiries well next tym and don't come and embarrass urself on my post next tym.

The Toyota Camry is indeed FWD, but it does NOT have an axle in the sense you're thinking of. It has a transaxle, which is a combined transmission and differential.

2 Likes

Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by sultaan(m): 1:57am On Jan 15, 2015
See Siena come scatter everything with his big grammar grin.

I was still trying to figure out where the knot and bottom plate was on a camry fisheye grin

Why don't we star with asking the OP what is the color of the oil and what does it smell like.

He can idle is and park it overnight over some newspaper so he can get fresh sample.

Which oil does he have to top off or which one is low?
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15, 2015
senator2k9:

easy check the senstence again it has a question mark

besides on car the same model can hav different variation thats why i asked

why do people rush to conclude that i want to show other that am an expert ? am here to air my views and knowlegde i dont contribute to be rated it seems you do, I DO NOT

things i dont know i ask hence "are all 99 camry's rear drive or 4 wheel drive ?"
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by senator2k9(m): 2:44pm On Jan 15, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

easy check the senstence again it has a question mark

besides on car the same model can hav different variation thats why i asked

why do people rush to conclude that i want to show other that am an expert ? am here to air my views and knowlegde i dont contribute to be rated it seems you do, I DO NOT

things i dont know i ask hence "are all 99 camry's rear drive or 4 wheel drive ?"
ALL 99 camrys are FWD
Re: Gearbox Leaking Oil In Camry Tiny Light by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
senator2k9:
ALL 99 camrys are FWD

That all you were supposed to say

the reason i asked, was that if it a FWD it wouldnt have an axle as the drive shafts would come out straight from the gearbox, unless if it has a transferbox without being a 4 wheel drive or rear drive

if it is a 4 wheel drive or rear drive then they would be a tranferbox for the propshaft connecting to the diff at the rear

as for the transferbox the question would be whether it takes oil on its own or as one unit using the oil from the gearbox

thats were my question was heading if you had answered me in my 1st post

(1) (Reply)

Autogas Conversion For My V6 Mercedes Benz / My Golf 4 Is To Change Engine To 2.0 Today. / What Was Your First Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.