Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 (19167 Views)

Programming Challenge For Beginners Competition Two N20000 -SEASON 2- / Facebook Programming Challenge Question / Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 11:22pm On Jul 16, 2014
[size=14pt]Competition Two[/size]

Development/Programming

Required Language(s): PHP/ASP.NET/Java/Python/Ruby on Rails

We will be basically developing a tax calculator application. Here is how it should work;

Every person in the country can register, then login and have their account(of course!), every registered user can calculate how much they are due to pay the government at the end of every month. The calculation will work like this;

Mr John Doe(a registered user on your app) can see how much he is due to pay by clicking on "calculate tax", the application prompts John Doe to enter the number of electronic appliances he has(maximum of 15). If John Doe has entered this, he will then be prompted to add
the voltage of all the appliances, let's say appliance 1: 1000V, appliance 2: 3000V and so on.......I'm sure you know you don't need the "V", for every voltage value, 10% of the particular appliance voltage value is taken; for appliance 1: 10% * 1000V, for appliance 2: 10% * 3000V and so on...add the results together, lets say appliance one calculated result is 100 and appliance 2 is 300 (300 + 100), then add it to 5% of the total salary John Doe receives as salary.

The total result is the amount John Doe will be paying as tax by month ending. Remember we don't care about designing.

Rules

1. Try to handle exceptions, some users may enter negative values or zero(0)
2. Users registration should be firstname, lastname, sex, salary, occupation(you can just provide about 10 random occupations as options)
3. Make sure all error messages to users are properly written, don't scare your users.
4. Document your readme properly, teach a dummy like me how to run your project. You may assume I don't know how to run it at all.
5. Your repository name this time should be "nairaland contest 2"
6. Use a nice Naira sign in your app.

Grading Stats:

Code Neatness: 15%
Naming Convetions: 15%
Code Indentation Consistency: 15%
Rules Adhering: 15%
Official Rules(by language) Adhering: 10%
Project Features: 10%
Extra features as mentioned in competition: 5%
Unbroken Code and Links: 10%
Successful Check in with good readme: 5%

First Person to do the last check in: 10% (we add this to you total achieved point)
Second Person to do the last check in: 5% (we add this to you total achieved point)

Kindly sign in here if you want to give this a go; !

Like this

Name: John Doe
Sex: Male
Language(s): English, Mathematics

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2014
You can continue here
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by olupython: 4:22am On Jul 17, 2014
....This is my time
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Djtm(m): 7:28am On Jul 17, 2014
Sisqology, change the voltage to wattage. All appliances (except industrual ones) here use 220-240V.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 11:40am On Jul 17, 2014
Djtm: Sisqology, change the voltage to wattage. All appliances (except industrual ones) here use 220-240V.

on point
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 17, 2014
am in!
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 12:08pm On Jul 17, 2014
Sircomeference: am in!

Go here
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 17, 2014
sisqology: [size=14pt]Competition Two[/size]

Design

Required Language(s): HTML4/HTML5, CSS2/CSS3, JavaScript

Design a 3 paged website(Home, Gallery, Contact).

This time, the home is going to have a full width slider(having navigation buttons is a bonus), about us(short jargons) or a short welcome jargons should be after your slider; also find a space for a login form for email and password, the form submits to no where. You can put the form in a sidebar/aside(HTML5). Show your services on the homepage as well by using a nice unordered or ordered list(vertically or horizontally); I expect you to lay this out nicely and stylishly. Find a space for "Our Team" also by putting a short note about how your team work to make a project successful. Embed any random youtube video on your homepage as well and finally, show your "latest tweets"(from your twitter account) somewhere.

Gallery Page
Show different or same pictures(because of project size)(Nice quality pictures), let them float beside eachother. You can make it about 12 tiles or above, on hovering/clicking on a pic, it should be enlarged. Nothing else should be on this page

Contact page
Show firstname, lastname, email, address forms and provide a "department" option with some variety of options, you may use a radio button or dropdown for the departments. The form submits to nowhere. Remember your validations. Finally, embed google map of your location. This will also serve as a correction for the people that did not do that in competition 1.

Rules

1. Use a fixed layout. 980px wide
2. Make users aware of the page they are
3. Do not put the site nav at the footer unless if your page is long.
4. Your color combo should not be more than 3 asides neutral colors.
5. Your repository name this time should be "nairaland contest 2"
6. Document your readme properly, teach a dummy like me how to run your project. You may assume I don't know how to run it at all.

Grading Stats:

Naming Convetions: 15%
Project Features: 10%
Extra features as mentioned in competition: 5%
Successful Check in with good readme: 5%

First Person to do the last check in: 10% (we add this to you total achieved point)
Second Person to do the last check in: 5% (we add this to you total achieved point)

Kindly sign in here if you want to give this a go; !

Like this;

Name: John Doe
Language(s): English, Mathematics

Cheers

Name: Seyi Ajayi
Language(s): Html, js, css and a little PHP
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by dhtml(m): 1:12pm On Jul 17, 2014
@Sircomeference, why do you have to quote the long thread just to reply, and your reply is out-of-place, programmers are supposed to be smart.

1 Like

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by zicjoe(m): 1:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
Sircomeference:

pls, pls and pls(on my knees) use the reply button next tym
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by codeaddict(m): 1:22pm On Jul 17, 2014
Errmn, Organisers, how exactly would you classify beginners? Or what yardstick could I use to tell if I'm a beginner?
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 1:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
codeaddict: Errmn, Organisers, how exactly would you classify beginners? Or what yardstick could I use to tell if I'm a beginner?

Isn't it obvious that the person that quoted my post is a beginner? How many PROs will have time or a challenge like this?
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
sisqology:
Isn't it obvious that the person that quoted my post is a beginner? How many PROs will have time or a challenge like this?

grin grin
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Djtm(m): 4:48pm On Jul 17, 2014
Sircomeference:

Romance section please...
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 17, 2014
dhtml: @Sircomeference, why do you have to quote the long thread just to reply, and your reply is out-of-place, programmers are supposed to be smart.
i know just wanted to get his attention.

PS: he might be busy writing codes. grin grin grin
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 17, 2014
Djtm:
Romance section please...

huh? undecided undecided
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 12, 2014
smiley grin smiley cheesy smiley
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by CenturyCoder: 7:48pm On Mar 06, 2021
sisqology:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.nairaland.com/1770447/programming-challenge-beginners-n20000

We have our contestants and they have submitted their final project(Entry is closed) but opened for those who have not submitted till Wednesday 12noon. However, due to the great loss we had (www.nairaland.com), I don't know where to start from again. We have lost a lot, but our contestants that have submitted will be posted here alongside how they are graded and the winner shall be announced.

Hello fellow designers and developers,

**Update**
Another Favorite and key member of this section has offered an extra 5k, so we will be choosing 2 winners(One from design, and one from development)

And again, another humble member has added 10k, so we will be choosing 4winners, (First and second in Design, First and Second in Development). Since we have just 2 members in Design now, we can admit 3 more, kindly register if you want to participate.
First in both fields(6k each), Second in both fields(4k each). Let us all see this as a learning curve. We know the money is small, but who can tell? It's just by doing what you love for fun and make small "Bread and Akara" money from it grin grin grin grin grin grin

There is someone in our midst who appreciates the effort and tenacity of programmers on Nairaland Programming and willing to encourage them in their field by making them smile with a whooping N5,000 only monthly. The amount of course may be small, but it is for a start for now and let's see how people(beginners turn up). Like a challenge been started on https://www.nairaland.com/1741838/beginner-challenges-web-projects-beginners , this will be more serious.

How do you get this N5,000?

No strings attached, no conditions, no sentiments. There is going to be a challenge which by 28th of the month expires for submission. The winner of the challenge will be the one to take the mentioned amount in Nigerian Naira into their bank account. Runner up atimes may receive some recharge card/airtime.

Is it for only developers?

No, I don't know yet, in this case, we may need the review/comment of you all to let us decide if we should open this for designers as well(by making it a designers' competition)..

What programming Language can I use?

As it has been seen that most programmers on Nairaland are mostly web programmers and since web applications can run on every platform so far an internet browser is installed on the platform. This should be a GO. So, so far you are a web developer; .NET, PHP, Python, Java, Ruby, etc.. you are qualified.

How do we know the winner?

Their will be some judges which their names will be mentioned here, our judges will be rating your application (over 100%) according to:
1. Code neatness
2. Glitches of the Application
3. Followed rules for the challenge
4. Code consistency
5. More to add

How do I register for the competition?

1st - 10th of every month, the challenge will be posted(here in this post, to be updated), programmers that are willing to participate will the comment in this thread by specifying:
1. Their full name
2. Language to be used
3. Sex, so atleast people like DHTML can catch 'Mrs Right' *winks*

Deadline for registration?

This will be on 20th of every month; 12:00 noon. So we will be updating this post with the names of people that have registered so we can know how many of us are in the bus.

Is this opened for Pro Programmers?

No! *straight face*

Where will the project be hosted?

You must be registered on Bitbucket, like I said earlier, this is going to be a learning curve for beginners, I may be posting some tutorials here(if needed) on how to post the project on Bitbucket. Atleast, some of you can know how to do versioning.

Are corrections allowed?

No! so you can learn fast, learn how to test your application. Corrections will be posted when the winner has been announced

Are Frameworks allowed?

Yes, but specify which Framework you are about to use while you register for the competition.

Do we care about good designs?

No, for developers. For designers, yes.

Advantages

This challenge will serve as a very opened class and learning curve for everyone here whether you are a beginner or not. From the comments by the judge(s), you will add one or two things to your experience. The only way programming can move forward in Nigeria is to share knowledge known in which we are lagging behind. Some people may be watching behind the scenes too, so you may be employed from here. Impossible is Nothing.

Disadvantages

None for now.

When will the first challenge be out?

Soon when we reach a conclusion, so our deadlines may not be strict for now smiley.

Our Judges are as follows;

HTML, CSS, JavaScript
spikes C, Sisqology

ASP

PHP
spikes C, *dhtml

Python
Sisqology, webcalculator

Ruby
Sisqology

Java
Javanian

Competition 1

We will start grading by 25th of this month (submission closes by 12noon).
Extra points will be awarded as shown below

First Person to submit for each field(Design or Development): 10% point each (we add this to you total achieved point)
Second Person to submit for each field(Design or Development): 5% point each (we add this to you total achieved point)

Grading Stats:

Project Features: 20%
Extra features as mentioned in competition: 10%
Successful Check in: 5%

Can I still register and if yes, how can I register
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Karleb(m): 6:36am On Mar 07, 2021
I'm very sure the money was like N50k in 2014.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by coolplanet: 9:27pm On Mar 07, 2021
CenturyCoder:

Can I still register and if yes, how can I register

I need a programmer that resides in Lagos and can work on ready made website with asp.net. The person must have a physical office.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 11:35am On Mar 31, 2021
Karleb:
I'm very sure the money was like N50k in 2014.

lol it was to encourage beginners

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why People Always Think Those That Make Use Of Laptop Are Into Fraud? / Interested In Teaching Yourself Programming? file on link / Pros And Cons Of Dating A Programmer Or Just A Geek

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.