Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,878 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey (18071 Views)

The Importance Of Studying The Word Of God (the Bible) / Muslims Proving Islam Is God's True Religion By Seeking The Bible: / Murder in the name of God - The slaying of Pope John Paul 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by chrisviral(m): 1:44pm On Aug 19, 2014
mbaemeka: Chrisviral,

Your write-up has blessed me immensely and is quite reminiscent for me as I once felt that way and even still feel that way- albeit momentarily.

I will try as concisely as possible to explain what helped me win in such situations. The first thought you have to settle in your spirit, soul and body is that God loves you as much as he loves Jesus-since he let Jesus die for you.

The second thought you have to understand is there is a patience aspect to go with faith. Hebrews 6:12 tells us that we are to emulate those who through FAITH and PATIENCE obtained promises from God.

How long do you suppose Abraham got his promised son from when the promise was originally given? 25 years the scriptures say. 25 long years and Abraham had to listen to God remind him profusely that he would be a blessing to many through his son. Yet the supposed son hadn't come.

Can you imagine what Abraham had to go through listening to unbelievers telling him he should get a child out of wedlock or adopt one? Can you envision Abraham seeing families of unbelievers having children so easily yet he- a friend of God, had none?

What did Romans 4:17 tell us he did at such points?
1. It told us Abraham believed God.
2. Against hope he believed in Hope.
3. He refused to consider the circumstances.
4. He was STRONG in faith- by giving Thanks to God because he had settled it in his heart that God wasn't just able to give him his desire, God was also willing.

So I emplore you to add all that to your walk with God and with it add patience. James said our faith after being tried produces patience. And patience after being made manifest produces perfection.

When it feels like you can't hear from God or your prayers aren't being answered just raise your hands and give thanks like Abraham. Say things like "Father I thank you because you love me way more than I can ever love myself and your thoughts for me are always good". "Even though I do not understand the situation or I do not desire to be here I understand that all things work out together for my good because you love me". "I choose to only celebrate and glory in my challenges because I know that my expectations will be met".

I did exactly this and I tell you soon enough things began to fall in place and everything I asked for (even in the past) that I thought I had lost they all came back to me.

I hope this helps you.

It did! I appreciate alot!
Thanks so much!
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2014
torchwave: Hi Zeeayinita, tell you what, I used to oscillate between repentance and sin. I would backslide and repent till I became sick and tired of life.

I cried out to God for help which did not seem to come. I prayed to God many times to deliver me from slavery to sin...until one certain day, God gave me an experience after which He led me to the discovery of the secrets to overcoming sin. Since then, I have become like a plant firmly rooted in Christ. I have peace everyday because the Spirit of God bears witness with my spirit that I am God's child.

It has been many months since then and I am still abiding in Christ which is the first time in my life I will be faithful to God for a long time.

So what did God teach me that has been helping me overcome sin and the flesh?

First, the only way to overcome sin is to walk in love. Believe me when I say there is nothing else that overcomes sin better than walking in God's kind of love. Love wants nothing for itself. It is not selfish because it does not look for its own satisfaction but the satisfaction and happiness of others. The policy of love is others before self and God is the great Other. I have very great confidence of making heaven should death meet me unexpectedly because I strive everyday to walk in love. Through walking in love I have been able to subject my flesh, discipline it to obey God, and master sin. I walk in perfect liberty because walking in love helps me nail the body of death to the cross daily. I learnt through experience of practicing love that whenever I step out of love I sin, and whenever I act in love I overcome sin. It is difficult at first but becomes second nature after much practice. Love is so powerful and it never fails. Read Ephesians 1:4.

Secondly, Grace. Nothing is greater than the grace of God. We can do nothing without God, that's why we need grace to live holy and blameless lives before God. Ask for His grace to please Him and never stray from following Him. Ask for His grace to be faithful to Him to the end. Make it a daily habit of asking for His grace because His grace will set you apart from the world and keep you in God.

Third, never think you stand by your power. When you begin to overcome sin, there is the tendency to think you are able to achieve purity by your ability. That is foul pride. Nobody stands by his or her power. God is the reason we are steadfast in the Faith. I always tell God that He is the One that upholds me, and that if I fall it is either because I let go of Him or He lets me slip from His grip.
You should always have a humble attitude towards God if you need His grace to live an overcoming life. Humility is nothing but admitting the truth about us - acknowledging our human limitations to God. Just that. Humility recognizes the fact that it is impossible to stand without the help of God. When you have this attitude, you become God's candidate of grace, grace to overcome sin.

Lastly, know yourself. Study your weaknesses and avoid any situation that presents itself as temptation to sin. I know how difficult it is but God will see you through. God knows we are perfectly capable of overcoming our weaknesses.

Remember, God does not see your past after you have repented. All He sees is a new person without a past because the blood of Jesus Christ washes away your sins past and present. You are a new creation, perfect and sinless like Jesus Christ which is why there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. Of course we will fall, but we must not stay down. We should develop the habit of repenting of sins and forsaking them to continue to stay very close to Jesus Christ. A saint is not the person who does not commit sin (no saint like that ever existed); it is the person who falls, recognizes his mistake, repents of his sin, gets up and continues on his path of righteousness in God.

Know this, it is impossible to live a perfect life on earth since we are still clothed in bodies of corruption. What counts as perfection is our efforts to strive towards perfection daily, forgetting what is behind till we put off this corrupt body to wear the incorruptible one.

I pray you find the grace to overcome sin and live a life pleasing to God.

Wooow thank you so so very much
I really appreciate this..
I also want to ask this question that has been bothering me
Pls is it a must to step out in church when ppl who want to become born again are called??
Can I just do it myself just me and God?
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 5:19pm On Aug 19, 2014
defendedvictim: u r welcm..may He continually kip u standing
Amen. May He also keep you standing to the end.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 5:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
Bolded:

you do? are you male or female? undecided
Lol @ the bolded.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 6:12pm On Aug 19, 2014
TeeVee: I really I'm glad I found this thread,I mean on 'nairaland',my joy knows no bound. But I'll love to start from this quote (will be asking some lots'a question as well). Its as regards daily repentance,is it scriptural if it can't be targeted to a particular sin...according to 1John3:6 as well as acts8:1-2 and Rom6:2,most peeps do without no cognisance of any sin at heart,I feel I shouldn't go to my earthly father everyday asking for forgiveness less God. What's U̶̲̥̅̊ guys pick on it rili as against the bible verses,aint sounding controversial,just need clarifications...
Okay. Before I say anything I need to understand 'targeted to a particular sin.' Did you mean repent of a particular sin?
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 6:14pm On Aug 19, 2014
Johnnoo:

Thanks Brother...God bless you richly
You're welcome, my brother. May He richly bless you, too

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by bluish(f): 6:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
i'm really glad i found this thread.......was just saying to myself this morning dat seeking GOD is not easy,nd it requires determination,discopline et all......i'm so happy to be here.....''iron sharpeneth iron''

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
zeeayinita:

Pls is it a must to step out in church when ppl who want to become born again are called??
Yes, of course. In fact, salvation has nothing to do with altar call to repentance. It is just formality.

Salvation is an experience strictly between you and God. No third party involved. If you are not inclined to go along with others to answer the altar call, just stay wherever you are and talk to God. God is there with you. They are not more saved than you are because they went to the front of the church to repent. That is fallacious and grossly unscriptural. It doesn't matter where or how you repent. All that greatly matters to God is that you repent.

Salvation through repentance is possible when you decide and believe in your heart and confess with your lips. Romans 10:9 says, that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

Just you and God.

And you're welcome. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 7:39pm On Aug 19, 2014
bluish: i'm really glad i found this thread.......was just saying to myself this morning dat seeking GOD is not easy,nd it requires determination,discopline et all......i'm so happy to be here.....''iron sharpeneth iron''
Very glad to have you here sis.

I am convinced God led you to this place. It is no coincidence.

Your input, however great or small, will be valuable and much appreciated. We are all in this together, to learn from each other, to help each other towards our ultimate goal - dialogue with God.

I am happy to welcome you to the journey to see the Face of God.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by bluish(f): 7:58pm On Aug 19, 2014
torchwave: Very glad to have you here sis.

I am convinced God led you to this place. It is no coincidence.

Your input, however great or small, will be valuable and much appreciated. We are all in this together, to learn from each other, to help each other towards our ultimate goal - dialogue with God.

I am happy to welcome you to the journey to see the Face of God.
thanks a lot bro
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 19, 2014
Its not an easy thing to be steadfast in God...we need the holyspirit and likeminds that will encourage us in our faith daily!!!! If not.....#love this thread so
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Christmygoal(m): 9:47pm On Aug 19, 2014
crusader01:

Thank you so much. Flyover234@gmail.com
Sent. God bless
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 8:12am On Aug 20, 2014
Cutekemitola: Its not an easy thing to be steadfast in God...we need the holyspirit and likeminds that will encourage us in our faith daily!!!! If not.....#love this thread so
True that. It is not easy. That is one of the reasons for the existence of this thread - for people of likeminds to help, encourage, and learn from each other, to make impacts in the lives of others as we journey towards fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Remain blessed
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by defendedvictim(m): 8:24am On Aug 20, 2014
zeeayinita:

u can do it between urself n God. most tyms, going out during altar calls z Lyk saying 'I dnt care wat anyone else thinks, I am giving my life to Christ'. However, u dnt v to wait for an altar call, salvation can be done anywhere n anytym...
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by defendedvictim(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2014
TeeVee: I really I'm glad I found this thread,I mean on 'nairaland',my joy knows no bound. But I'll love to start from this quote (will be asking some lots'a question as well). Its as regards daily repentance,is it scriptural if it can't be targeted to a particular sin...according to 1John3:6 as well as acts8:1-2 and Rom6:2,most peeps do without no cognisance of any sin at heart,I feel I shouldn't go to my earthly father everyday asking for forgiveness less God. What's U̶̲̥̅̊ guys pick on it rili as against the bible verses,aint sounding controversial,just need clarifications...
from my own personal experience. I dnt ask for forgiveness everytym I pray. Nw, d Holy Spirit helps us to pray n He searches our hearts; if dere z anything to confess, He prompts u to ask for forgiveness. in a nutshell, its abt being sensitive to d leading of d Spirit, wen we pray. its actually Nt bad if u consciously ask for forgiveness everytym u pray, but I don't.
I'm open to clarification if I'm wrong tho
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:41am On Aug 20, 2014
WEEKLY UPDATE

I tell you, seeking God really takes determination to be successful - Challenges here and there, disappointment of hearing nothing days, weeks and months of consistently seeking Him, discipline in keeping your daily appointment with Him, denying yourself the pleasures of food, much sleep, and any other thing that gets in the way of keeping your daily appointment with God, uncertainty about the day you finally begin to hear the still small voice of God effortlessly, and the temptation to quit seeking God and return to the ordinary and less fruitful Christian way of life because it seems much easier to serve God that way.

Each day you are presented a choice to quit and return or persevere in your pursuit of God till you find Him.

This is why it is extremely important that you be very, very, very DETERMINED to find God before embarking on seeking Him because if you lack this quality of determination, I'm afraid any of the challenges I listed above will easily discourage you and you will quickly make the choice to quit and return to your ordinary and less fruitful way of life. A very big loss.

This is also another reason why I haven't quit seeking God. Determination helps me continue making the choice to persevere in my hunger and search for God despite the challenges and difficulties involved in the process because I know without a doubt that the day will come when I begin dialoguing with God - talking to God and hearing Him speak clearly to me, because I would not give up searching for Him.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 10:06am On Aug 20, 2014
@torchwave thanks for encouraging. Last night i couldn't meet my appointment with God do to the intense cold here and this morning i felt very remorseful. However i am encourage as you rightly said that ""I'm afraid any of the challenges I listed above will easily discourage you and you will quickly make the choice to quit and return to your ordinary and less fruitful way of life. A very big loss.''

I am very determine to persevere in my pursuit of God till i find Him.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
torchwave: True that. It is not easy. That is one of the reasons for the existence of this thread - for people of likeminds to help, encourage, and learn from each other, to make impacts in the lives of others as we journey towards fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Remain blessed
thanks and you too
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by bluish(f): 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2014
Wanna ask a question as regards studying of the WORD

Does it happen dat sometimes when u study the word u do not get revelations i.e seeing beyond d letters.All u just see is d literal meaning of what u are studying,even when u meditate.

If yes please share ur experiences and how to handle d frustration dat sometimes comes with it,and for those who have passed dat stage,how did u go about it?

Thanks all
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by segedoo(m): 5:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
Waoh! what an edifying thread. I'm quite encouraged.

@bluish

always invite the HolySpirit as you study the word or meditate.
John 14:26, 16:13-14

The letter killeth but the Spirit gives Life. Remember; he inspired men to write the scriptures.

God bless
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 5:45pm On Aug 20, 2014
Elijah78: @torchwave thanks for encouraging. Last night i couldn't meet my appointment with God do to the intense cold here and this morning i felt very remorseful. However i am encourage as you rightly said that ""I'm afraid any of the challenges I listed above will easily discourage you and you will quickly make the choice to quit and return to your ordinary and less fruitful way of life. A very big loss.''

I am very determine to persevere in my pursuit of God till i find Him.
I love your determination. It already makes you a candidate for God's voice. All we need is time to make it a reality. Richard Foster who wrote Celebration of Discipline said and I quote, "The overall preparation for a successful meditation is a personal conviction of its importance, and a staunch determination to persevere in its practice."

In addition, whenever you're unable to keep your appointment with God because of some humanly impossible phenomenon like environmental or bodily limitation like the cold you mentioned, and it is just not practicable even if you tried, then I suggest you rest for that day so as to continue the next day. No harm done.

It is perfectly normal to feel remorseful which is a proof of how much you desire not to miss your daily appointment with God, and that in itself is all that matters, your desire for God, but don't let your daily appointment with Him become a rigid affair that becomes unforgivable when you unintentionally miss it.

That is why our fellowship with God should not start and end in our quiet time with Him. We should let it spill into the rest of our day by being in tune for His voice as we learn to practice His Presence. It is equally important as our daily appointment with Him.

This takes much practice. From experience, it is quite difficult but like any other thing, practice makes perfect.

Stay blessed, bro.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 6:35pm On Aug 20, 2014
Bluish, I shall add to what Segedoo said.

The most important thing to know is that without the illumination of the Word by the Holy Spirit, all you have is the literal interpretation of the Word according to your understanding.

This is one reason I am not contented to live the ordinary Christian life without having the Holy Spirit as my Teacher.

However, for those of us that have not learnt to hear His voice, God did not leave us without help.

There are times when I read the Bible and something suddenly clicks. I gain a new and better understanding of a passage I must have read many times. It then baffles me why I had never thought of it that way.

Another way God aids my understanding of the Bible is when He makes a word or phrase or sentence suddenly leap from the Word. When it does my heart skips a beat because it happens to confirm something in my life or a revelation from God or it gives me a completely different understanding from the one I used to have concerning that passage.

This does not happen every time I read the Bible, but whenever it does I see something entirely new in the Word of God.

Others may have different experiences but this is basically the way God opens my eyes to His Word.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by bluish(f): 7:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
thanks a lot friends
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 20, 2014
There are 3 levels in our relationship with God as we walk with him and seek his face.
1.voice of inspiration.
2.voice of instruction.
3.voice of conversation.
So it is a gradual growth process learning to pray and asking to hear him speak over issues. As we persist in prayer He reveals himself to us based on how he pleases to do so.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
Have not being right with God for sometime now...I feel bad about it,but I find myself reluctant to pray,fast or even read the bible...dunno what to do...*sad*
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 20, 2014
Cutekemitola: Have not being right with God for sometime now...I feel bad about it,but I find myself reluctant to pray,fast or even read the bible...dunno what to do...*sad*
talk to God about it, remember the hymn "there's not a friend like the lowly Jesus..."
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
lari03: talk to God about it, remember the hymn "there's not a friend like the lowly Jesus..."
thanx I ll
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by bluish(f): 9:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
@cutekemitola i understand wat u are going through now,cos i've been in dat situation before nd i know how it feels

First pls do not condemn urself.its normal for u to think u've failed GOD,nd maybe GOD is unhappy or angry with u et all.pls do not let dose thoughts have a place in ur heart.Always remember dat whatever happens GOD is ready to recieve u with open arms and he still loves u very much

Another thing is this,as regards u not feeling like praying,fasting et all,pls dear u have to DETERMINE to do it.

I'll also suggest that u try to fast even if u dont feel like,,cos fasting subjects our flesh and makes our spirit more sensitive to GOD,and more u subject ur flesh ur spirit becomes more sensitive to GOD and u'll no longer find it hard or boring to do dose things u mentioned earlier

I hope this helps

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
bluish: @cutekemitola i understand wat u are going through now,cos i've been in dat situation before nd i know how it feels

First pls do not condemn urself.its normal for u to think u've failed GOD,nd maybe GOD is unhappy or angry with u et all.pls do not let dose thoughts have a place in ur heart.Always remember dat whatever happens GOD is ready to recieve u with open arms and he still loves u very much

Another thing is this,as regards u not feeling like praying,fasting et all,pls dear u have to DETERMINE to do it.

I'll also suggest that u try to fast even if u dont feel like,,cos fasting subjects our flesh and makes our spirit more sensitive to GOD,and more u subject ur flesh ur spirit becomes more sensitive to GOD and u'll no longer find it hard or boring to do dose things u mentioned earlier

I hope this helps
thanx dear,I ll try and fast tomorrow....dis flesh has to succumb...
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Splinz(m): 9:57pm On Aug 20, 2014
Oh, i love this thread. I've always known the immense benefits of seeking, finding and being united with God. But like experiences expressed so far here has shown, this longing for God is'nt easy. So far, i must say i'm even much more inspired reading everyone's words of encouragement and tips in this great path, and i believed, by His grace we will find Him. Thanks to everyone, most especially the thread's creator.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by luciangelymail(f): 10:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
I love it when people speak kindly and lovingly about God. u know some people come up with rigid and scary, even unfriendly things about God. thanx for strengthening me. God bless u. always pray 4 all youths and our dear country. keep this up
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 20, 2014
Bluish please I really want to find out the best way to fast....I do fast before but am thinking it is more than denying our body of food...can u enlighten me on the steps to take when yuh r fasting?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Christmas Bombings: God Is Powerless! / What Is The Significance Of 40 In The Bible? / How I Listen To The Audio Bible (my Advice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.