Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? (7251 Views)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Plantain Farming Business:the Money Making Machine With 25years Span / Reasons Why Most Nigerians Fail In Poultry Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 02, 2014
I would like to start a shrimp farm, i have been doing a lot of reading, is there anyone that knows where i can get life shrimp.

1 Like

Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by midastouch: 11:32am On Jul 03, 2014
Obiagelli: i would like to start a shrimp farm, i have been doing a lot of reading, is there anyone that knows where i can get life shrimp.

If you have anybody in the creeks (South-South area). The advantage is that you will get shrimp that is native to our climate that we are used to consuming.

I also have a huge interest in shrimp farming. I have also done lots of research and reading. Wishing you lots of luck.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 03, 2014
midastouch:

If you have anybody in the creeks (South-South area). The advantage is that you will get shrimp that is native to our climate that we are used to consuming.

I also have a huge interest in shrimp farming. I have also done lots of research and reading. Wishing you lots of luck.
the question is do native shrimps grow as fast as the "Agric" type? Do they also take artificial feeds.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Afam4eva(m): 11:58am On Jul 03, 2014
This one wey our APC brothers and sisters dey go into shrimp business, wahala dey oo grin #JustJoking

I'm actually into shrimps but i only eat them though. Don't sell rear them
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2014
Afam4eva: This one wey our APC brothers and sisters dey go into shrimp business, wahala dey oo grin #JustJoking

chai afam where did you get your stock shrimps from?
What do you feed them?
Are they local shrimps?
What kind of pond do you have?
Plastic, concrete or earthen?
How quickly do they grow?
Waiting for your response bro, I also want to keep them for chops.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by FarmTech(m): 11:22pm On Jul 04, 2014
Following.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 05, 2014
FarmTech: Following.
yes o, i am still waiting for Afam4eva to respond, i read i can have shrimps and tilapia in the same pond and the shrimps actually feed on tilapia waste.

How are your birds doing?

Afam4eva, Afam4eva, Afam4eva. Please respond na.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by ogb5(m): 11:55am On Jul 06, 2014
Obiagelli: i would like to start a shrimp farm, i have been doing a lot of reading, is there anyone that knows where i can get life shrimp.

Obiagelli take am easy o.

Only you get political farm for APC now you want to add shrimp farm.

Well to start shrimp farming you can buy live shrimp from Otueke in bayelsa or other nearby Ijaw villages in bayelsa or delta state. But hide your APC card When coming grin

To go into high yielding shrimp farming you need to get the live shrimp from Vietnam or China. I can hook you up but you need to leave APC and join any other party 1st cool
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
ogb5:

Obiagelli take am easy o.

Only you get political farm for APC now you want to add shrimp farm.

Well to start shrimp farming you can buy live shrimp from Otueke in bayelsa or other nearby Ijaw villages in bayelsa or delta state. But hide your APC card When coming grin

To go into high yielding shrimp farming you need to get the live shrimp from Vietnam or China. I can hook you up but you need to leave APC and join any other party 1st cool

lol, chai this Apc go spoil business for me one day. I actually don't think local breed grow as fast and as big as the "Agric " type, i got some local ones from Ifo in ogun state in the past but them no gree grow o, in fact they did eat artificial feeds. I hope Afam4eva will have my time someday.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by FarmTech(m): 1:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
Obiagelli:
yes o, i am still waiting for Afam4eva to respond, i read i can have shrimps and tilapia in the same pond and the shrimps actually feed on tilapia waste.

How are your birds doing?

Afam4eva, Afam4eva, Afam4eva. Please respond na.
My birds are fine oo. This shrimp-tilapia stuff I really like. Pls let me know when u start.
I once saw myself in a dream raising crabs, so I'm thinking if I shud add shrimps to it, it's not a bad thing.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
FarmTech:
My birds are fine oo. This shrimp-tilapia stuff I really like. Pls let me know when u start.
I once saw myself in a dream raising crabs, so I'm thinking if I shud add shrimps to it, it's not a bad thing.
sure i will let you know.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by tandj: 2:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
Obiageli,I wanna ask u a question.
The shrimp pond(whatever),does it smell?
Can it be close to ur residential building or inside it. What of mosquitos? Do they breed inside the pond?

I wouldn't mind going into that line of farming but for family consumption only.
Thanks as I await ur reply.

Afam4ever, pls come and explain urself well.
Forget politics.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 08, 2014
tandj: Obiageli,I wanna ask u a question.
The shrimp pond(whatever),does it smell?
Can it be close to ur residential building or inside it. What of mosquitos? Do they breed inside the pond?

I wouldn't mind going into that line of farming but for family consumption only.
Thanks as I await ur reply.

Afam4ever, pls come and explain urself well.
Forget politics.
you can add tilapia fish to it, the feed on mosquito larvae.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
Bump
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 18, 2014
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by FarmTech(m): 12:08am On Jul 19, 2014
May be u shud contact institute for oceanography and marine research project.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by matrixme(m): 8:25pm On Jul 19, 2014
As a matter of fact, you can't actually grow most shrimps in freshwater environment because they are marine organisms. Except you have access to artificial or fresh seawater. The good news is that you can grow prawns, which are close cousins in earthen ponds. These are freshwater dwellers, and you can get them in large rivers. (Google: African river prawn, Macrobranchium spp.) I am sure of Asejire reservoir near Ibadan, where you can access the parent stock. Since they are not like fishes, they require more stable water quality parameters for their survival. In other words, you can't grow them as you would grow catfish or Tilapia which can tolerate varying conditions, both. Hence, they require a great deal of expertise to manage. Anyone interested further may link up with me.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 20, 2014
matrixme:
As a matter of fact, you can't actually grow most shrimps in freshwater environment because they are marine organisms. Except you have access to artificial or fresh seawater. The good news is that you can grow prawns, which are close cousins in earthen ponds. These are freshwater dwellers, and you can get them in large rivers. (Google: African river prawn, Macrobranchium spp.) I am sure of Asejire reservoir near Ibadan, where you can access the parent stock. Since they are not like fishes, they require more stable water quality parameters for their survival. In other words, you can't grow them as you would grow catfish or Tilapia which can tolerate varying conditions, both. Hence, they require a great deal of expertise to manage. Anyone interested further may link up with me.
God bless you for your response, can you help me get parent stock? Do they accept artificial feeds.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 20, 2014
FarmTech: May be u shud contact institute for oceanography and marine research project.
my problem with these institutions is that they are never practical and they are usually obsolete. I will give them a try. Thanks.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by matrixme(m): 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2014
Obiagelli:
God bless you for your response, can you help me get parent stock? Do they accept artificial feeds.
Yes ma'am. I have done that before. Send an e-mail message through my contact so we can get talking.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2014
matrixme:
Yes ma'am. I have done that before. Send an e-mail message through my contact so we can get talking.
a pm? Cos i can't find your mail address. Thanks.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by matrixme(m): 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
Obiagelli:

yes please.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by matrixme(m): 7:47am On Jul 21, 2014
Obiagelli:
I didn't hear from you.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by olumayowaakin(m): 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2015
As anybody started the Shrimp farming, please I'm seriously interested!
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by PrinceOga: 11:46pm On Jul 06, 2015
Will u be interested to go on one month internship training for shrimp farming at the cost of 2million Naira total package. We are planning to go soon. Let me know if you will be interested.

1 Like

Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by mfm04622: 6:49am On Jul 10, 2015
If one need 2 million Naira for the training, how much does one need for the business itself? Isn't that too much?
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by PrinceOga: 8:56am On Jul 14, 2015
Shrimp farming is not for small players in the industry particularly salt water shrimp. That N2 million for training is small compared to the investment.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by midastouch: 11:21am On Aug 20, 2015
Obiagelli:

the question is do native shrimps grow as fast as the "Agric" type? Do they also take artificial feeds.

I rather think that the main focus would be to create an ambient and supportive environment for the shrimp. If you want to do it outdoors, you will need to create earthen ponds like its done for fish farming, but you will need to aerate the water constantly. So constant electricity supply is a must.

If you elect to farm indoors, constant electricity is also needed to aerate the tanks. Beneficial bacteria will have to be cultivated and nurtured for the shrimps.

Both native species and exotic species of shrimps will eat artificial feeds.

Also, all of the crayfish we consume are sea (salt water) creatures, so that makes things more interesting, but it has been done before.
I am afraid that this is a very capital intensive farming operation that requires daily attention, but the potential payoff is remarkable.
Re: Anyone In Shrimp Farming Business? by Vidia: 3:48am On Jun 29, 2016
Afam4eva:
This one wey our APC brothers and sisters dey go into shrimp business, wahala dey oo grin #JustJoking

Hi Afam4eva pls am interested in shrimp farming. Can you put me through? Pls this this my email saphireskies8 at gmail dot com
Hoping to get a response soon, thanks

(1) (Reply)

I Am Running A Poultry At A Loss. I Need Help! Please, Someone Should Reply. / Buy Day Old /8 To 12weeks Turkey At Cheaper Price / Commercial Broiler Chicken Producers Lets Meet Here And Share Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.