Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,904 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages (23832 Views)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages by pazienza(m): 8:00am On Jul 06, 2014
o'boy:
we say ngazi in my town and am also from idemili

Well, i am from Ogidi,and we say Ngaji. But that isn't the point, the point is that NGAJI is the written standard name for spoon in Igbo izugbe.
Re: Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages by pazienza(m): 8:06am On Jul 06, 2014
Igbos of the old didn't eat with spoons, they ate with hand, so i am guessing the Ngaji and Ngazi are not old Igbo names,atleast not in my town.

What Igbos had was things they use to transfer food from pots to plates. My grandfather told me that they use to call them EKU in my town. But these days, nobody call them that again, Ngaji had taken over.
Re: Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages by Abbey2sam(m): 11:16am On Jul 06, 2014
Enahi: And here comes a fool.

Nah your father be fool
Re: Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages by firfinch(m): 10:40am On Jul 29, 2014
Chillisauce:

Oh thanks cheesy

I was thinking Efo riro .the riro being the vegetable.
I see. But now you know the difference.

De rien.Merci encore
Re: Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages by Konquest: 8:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
dont8:
GOAT
Yoruba: Ewure
Igbo: Ewu

Most times too, some of this similarity could bring about different meanings and interpretations.

Check this: An Egbira boy took his friend, a Yoruba boy to his home and wanted to introduce him to his father and was shouting Ota mi de, Ada mi da. The word ‘Ota’ in Egbira language means friend whereas in Yoruba, the same word means enemy. By the same token, the word ‘Ada’ in Egbira means father, whereas in Yoruba the same word means cutlass or sword. Of course, the word ‘Mi’ in Egbira and Yoruba simply means mine, and the word ‘De’, ‘has arrived’ means exactly the same thing in both Yoruba and Egbira. Therefore, ‘Ota mi de, Ada mi da’ in Egbira simply means ‘My friend has arrived, where is my father’ (to help me welcome him). In Yoruba, the same statement means, ‘My enemy is here, get me my cutlass’. shocked

If I was that friend in question, on hearing the word sword, I'll do Usain Bolt sharpaly. smiley
Oh wow! The Ebira and Yoruba words! grin

Well the two groups both share a common land border in Kogi and Edo (I read that the Igaras of Akoko Edo are of mainly direct Ebira origin).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi's Grandmother, Mariani, Dies At The Age Of I04 / Distinguishing Physical Characteristics Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups / Sa'ad Abubakar, Sultan Of Sokoto Kicks Against Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.