Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,799 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka (1192 Views)

These 5 Powerful People May Cause Nigeria’s Break-up / Boko-Haram Carnage Making Nigeria Break-up Less Likely - Soyinka / IBB: How To Avoid Nigeria’s Break-Up In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by WIZGUY69(m): 11:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
Nigeria is suffering greater carnage at the hands of Islamist group
Boko Haram than it did during a secessionist civil war, yet this has
ironically made the country’s break-up less likely, Nigerian Nobel
Literature Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has said.
Speaking at his home surrounded by rainforest in Abeokuta, Soyinka
said the horrors inflicted by the militants had shown Nigerians across
the mostly Muslim north and Christian south that sticking together
might be the only way to avoid even greater sectarian slaughter.
The bloodshed was now worse than during the 1967-70 Biafra war,
when a secessionist attempt by the Igbo almost tore Nigeria up into
ethnic regions, he added.
“We have never been confronted with butchery on this scale, even
during the civil war,” Soyinka said in his front room, surrounding by
traditional wooden sculptures of Yoruba deities on Tuesday.
“There were atrocities (during Biafra) but we never had such a near
predictable level of carnage and this is what is horrifying,” said the
writer, who was imprisoned for two years in solitary confinement by
the military regime during the war on charges of aiding the Biafrans.
Soyinka, a playwright and one of Africa’s leading intellectuals who
still wears his distinctive white Afro hairstyle, turns 80 in two weeks.
He was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986, the first
African writer to receive it.
The conflict’s growing intensity has led commentators to predict it
may split the country.
“I think ironically it’s less likely now,” Soyinka said. “For the first
time, a sense of belonging is predominating. It’s either we stick
together now or we break up, and we know it would be not in a
pleasant way,” he said.
www.punchng.com/news/bharam-menace-making-nigerias-break-up-less-likely-soyinka/
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by Starlett: 11:41pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hm! Really, Soyinka With all the daily threats to do so? But the counsel of God for Nigeria will stand.
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by Zonacom(m): 5:26am On Jul 03, 2014
The old always see things differently
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by ewosk: 5:59am On Jul 03, 2014
If this killings continues with reckless abandon, Quoting the Phrase ''To ur tents oh Israel(Nigerians)'' Let every man look after it's own region will be inevitable...

I Still think Nigeria was a mistake the British made and we are suffering from it...
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by gratiaeo(m): 6:10am On Jul 03, 2014
with due respect to anyone’s view or opinion per say, I think anybody saying that the emergence of boko haram could in any way make Nigerian to believe in one Nigeria is been deceived. The issue of boko haram has indeed shown that the 1914 amalgamation is a huge error that has brought Nigeria to her knees. For any reason, you don’t keep cat and dog together and expect peace to reign, no matter how we can pretend, there exist a BIG and NATURAL hatred among all the major ethic nationalities we have in Nigeria and that in has in turn bring susption
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by musiwa112: 6:35am On Jul 03, 2014
shocked grin

[size=18pt]

Independent day of the country of Western Nigeria, 15th November 1957

i know so, because my great great grand father was the emperor(President) of western nigeria,
my great grand father was the emperor(President) of western nigeria
my grand father was the emperor(President) of western nigeria
it is reserve by international law to my family.

President of Western Nigeria
President Musiwa
His Royal Highness of Western Nigeria

[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzZ1Dfl-Dg

Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by agriboom: 8:47am On Jul 03, 2014
What is this man saying? There's never been a better time to breakup than now, I wonder what our southern brothers are waiting for, your time is now!!!
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by 99100(m): 11:27am On Jul 03, 2014
ewosk: If this killings continues with reckless abandon, Quoting the Phrase ''To ur tents oh Israel(Nigerians)'' Let every man look after it's own region will be inevitable...

I Still think Nigeria was a mistake the British made and we are suffering from it...

Mistake by the british ? No really but rather a plan by the British.
Re: B'haram Menace Making Nigeria Break Up Less Likely-soyinka by ewosk: 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
99/100:

Mistake by the british ? No really but rather a plan by the British.
Bros the plan was Wicked...

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS -why I Want To Be Next Governor Of Rivers – Julius Agwu / Kwankwasiyya 2015 Posters Flood Lafia For President Ambition / SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE: Crowd Protest Against BBC Bias

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.