Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,218 members, 7,811,607 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan (1595 Views)

Nigeria Won’t Release 2 Detainees Despite Court Orders. Washington Post. / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff / ‘stop Making Mockery Of Governance’ PDP Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by adeekoademola: 10:21am On Jul 03, 2014
WASHINGTON POST MAKES A HUGE MOCKERY OF PRESIDENT GOODLUCK JONATHAN

Last month, The Post published an op-ed by Ni­ger­ian President Goodluck Jonathan answering criticism of his response to the kidnapping of hundreds of schoolgirls by the group Boko Haram. This is what he should have written.

I have remained quiet about Nigeria’s continuing efforts to find the girls kidnapped in April from the northern town of Chibok, because, honestly, I hoped the world would ignore it as just another “African tragedy.” But the attention brought by #BringBackOurGirls forced my administration to abandon its usual do-nothing strategy. I admit that for weeks, the Nigerian military was nowhere to be seen in Chibok and aggrieved parents had to resort to venturing into the jungle on foot to search for their children. But I assure everyone, we are doing our best.

I am speaking out now because national elections are in less than a year and my Washington PR firm needs to earn the reported $1.2 million I am paying it to reverse the criticism that has overshadowed all my good intentions.

I wish to assure Nigerians and the international community that, even though my military officially wrapped up its investigation into the kidnappings, without locating the girls, we are sparing no resources. We will keep the findings of the investigations secret, since my good-faith assurances are enough.

My heart aches for the missing children and their families. In fact, my heartache was so painful that I canceled plans to visit Chibok. Instead, I eased my pain by flying to Paris for a national security summit. My first lady, Patience Jonathan, shares in my grief for the families affected by the tragedy. She was so troubled by the agitation of protesters demanding their girls back that she told them to stop their actions and allegedly ordered the police to detain several protest leaders.

While terrorism knows no borders, and security threats rage on across West Africa, Nigeria has long been reluctant to accept counterterrorism assistance from the United States and other partners. Nothing is more important than stopping the machinations of Boko Haram, except maybe my desire to keep up appearances and show the international community that Nigeria was winning the war against the group. I know that I have characterized Boko Haram as a temporary scourge, but in the wake of the latest attacks and kidnappings of more women just this week, I recognize that it has effectively exploited the inability of the Nigerian military to put up any semblance of a sustained coordinated response. But in spite of all the challenges, we are definitely doing our best.

Despite Nigeria’s status as a regional powerhouse with a population of 168 million, until now it had not occurred to me to collaborate with neighboring countries to fight terrorism. I wish to thank French President François Hollande for inviting me and other West African presidents to Paris to discuss this. When it comes to strategizing on African solutions to African problems, a European should take the lead. Besides, I do my best thinking in Paris.

My critics say that decades of neglect have led to conditions amenable to radicalization in the north. My detractors will point also to human rights abuses perpetrated by the military. Let the finger-pointing stop. I am sparing no resources. I propose to set up an international summit to organize a fact-finding commission of investigative inquiry to study the progress of ongoing investigations of corruption and lack of development in the north. I have again asked President Hollande to provide a forum for this in Paris, though I would accept the French Riviera.

Something positive can come out of the kidnappings more than 70 days ago. The world has seen what can happen when terrorism is left to run amok and the citizens of a country have little faith in the ability of their government to protect them. But I wish to assure Nigerians and the rest of the world that I am doing my best.

4 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Eldavido1: 11:32am On Jul 03, 2014
source plsss!!!
Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 03, 2014
He made a mockery of himself grin

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 03, 2014
the whole country is a big joke, at least back in the day we were just corrupt but now we are corrupt, disgusting and useless!!

3 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by horlah005: 11:51am On Jul 03, 2014
If dis s tru, den i don't blame'em.
"Omo osan to n ko popo ba iya e"

U have tried ur best mr. President, retire urself frm power......let d able bodies in. Enough s Enough angry
Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by oduastates: 12:24pm On Jul 03, 2014
From the editorial board.
When you have a reputation to protect, you always make sure you leave signs of washing your hands off a very corrupt government for posterity.Especially when the head of that government tries to use your organisation for laundering his image.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-nigerian-president-goodluck-jonathan-should-have-written/2014/07/02/46ac4bd2-009f-11e4-8572-4b1b969b6322_story.html

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by aresa: 2:35pm On Jul 03, 2014
This dumb president have the dumbest and the the most clueless advisers in the world.

It's like their main job is to set him up and have him ridiculed all the time. They advised him to take taxpayers money to America to clean up his well deserved dirty image, but this is the ridicule, scorn and embarrassment we got for our money.

The stupid editorial you wasted our money on wont stop you from goofing tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, it wont even bring back our girls.

Our military boys and girls are underpaid and ill equipped, but you refused to support and yield to their needs and instead you are spending tons of tax payers money to clean up what you really can not clean because you are naturally incompetent and corrupt.

You can not keep asking the world to see you in a different light while at the same time not doing what you are supposed to do.

It cost nothing for Nigerians and the world to see you in a good light, you don't even have to buy their attention, your work and efforts is enough to buy all the good image on the surface of the earth.

In your Op-Ed, you said you are care and returning the girls to their parents is your immediate priority, but this is a lie not only because for weeks you refused to admit that the girls were missing, you refused to say a word or console Nigerians and instead went dancing in Kano, your own wife and the woman you sleep with not only didn't believe that the girls were missing, she used tax payers funded TV and media to ridicule and abuse them on National TV.

Why not let the world see your efforts?

Why not let the world see you showing bravery and leadership?

Why not rescue the girls first and let the world make up their own mind if you really are a caring man or not?

Why not let the world see you fight corruption with all the tools at your disposal?

Why not stop protecting and shielding the corrupt people you hang around with?

Why not stop making childish, idiotic, foolish and irresponsible statements like stealing is not corruption?

You can not buy goodwill with money, let your actions speak for you, let the world see you at work, let the world see you showing leadership, let the world see you bring back our girls, let the world see you fight corruption and put corrupt people in jail, let the world see you stop appointing and surrounding yourself with corrupt people.

All the above steps cost nothing so stop wasting taxpayers money on fools gold.

2 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
The OP is correct. Here's the link to Washington Post Article

Though the contents of the article may be closer to the truth, the Post should take it easy on our President. Nansense!!

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Candour(m): 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2014
GEJ has repeatedly shown by his actions that he doesn't give a damn what Nigerians and the international community say or think about his government. His apologists (at least those on NL) have consistently asserted that neither he nor they care about the opinion of foreigners so why did he pen such a write up in the American media that has now backfired with any interested writer feeling obliged to embarrass him and the country?

He should steer clear of the press in the west. His government can't be sold there no matter how much of our national patrimony he's ready to throw at them.

He should instead devote time to winning the affections of the Nigerian populace who will do the actual voting in 2015.

2 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by IAMBREEZY: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
When he's a clown what do ya expect.

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by vedaxcool(m): 3:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
After wasting $1.2M on PR rather than on security, his images suffers a huge dip, this article is hilarious and reflects the sort of logic GEJ uses in governing this country! Chie! GEJ has defiled the presidency! #GEJ-on-the-brink grin grin

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Idrismusty97(m): 3:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
My heart aches for the missing children and their
families. In fact, my heartache was so painful that I
canceled plans to visit Chibok. Instead, I eased my
pain by flying to Paris for a national security
summit. My first lady, Patience Jonathan, shares in
my grief for the families affected by the tragedy.
She was so troubled by the agitation of protesters
demanding their girls back that she told them to
stop their actions and allegedly ordered the police
to detain several protest leaders.

Despite Nigeria’s status as a regional powerhouse
with a population of 168 million, until now it had
not occurred to me to collaborate with neighboring
countries to fight terrorism. I wish to thank French
President François Hollande for inviting me and
other West African presidents to Paris to discuss
this. When it comes to strategizing on African
solutions to African problems, a European should
take the lead. Besides, I do my best thinking in
Paris.
gringrin

My critics say that decades of neglect have led to
conditions amenable to radicalization in the north.
My detractors will point also to human rights
abuses perpetrated by the military. Let the finger-
pointing stop. I am sparing no resources. I
propose to set up an international summit to
organize a fact-finding commission of investigative
inquiry to study the progress of ongoing
investigations of corruption and lack of
development in the north. I have again asked
President Hollande to provide a forum for this in
Paris,
shockedshocked though I would accept the French Riviera.

Chai!!! See finishing. These people get mouth o! gringringrin

3 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Redoil: 3:37pm On Jul 03, 2014
You need serious beating and emergency brain transplat
aresa: This dumb president have the dumbest and the the most clueless advisers in the world.

It's like their main job is to set him up and have him ridiculed all the time. They advised him to take taxpayers money to America to clean up his well deserved dirty image, but this is the ridicule, scorn and embarrassment we got for our money.

The stupid editorial you wasted our money on wont stop you from goofing tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, it wont even bring back our girls.

Our military boys and girls are underpaid and ill equipped, but you refused to support and yield to their needs and instead you are spending tons of tax payers money to clean up what you really can not clean because you are naturally incompetent and corrupt.

You can not keep asking the world to see you in a different light while at the same time not doing what you are supposed to do.

It cost nothing for Nigerians and the world to see you in a good light, you don't even have to buy their attention, your work and efforts is enough to buy all the good image on the surface of the earth.

In your Op-Ed, you said you are care and returning the girls to their parents is your immediate priority, but this is a lie not only because for weeks you refused to admit that the girls were missing, you refused to say a word or console Nigerians and instead went dancing in Kano, your own wife and the woman you sleep with not only didn't believe that the girls were missing, she used tax payers funded TV and media to ridicule and abuse them on National TV.

Why not let the world see your efforts?

Why not let the world see you showing bravery and leadership?

Why not rescue the girls first and let the world make up their own mind if you really are a caring man or not?

Why not let the world see you fight corruption with all the tools at your disposal?

Why not stop protecting and shielding the corrupt people you hang around with?

Why not stop making childish, idiotic, foolish and irresponsible statements like stealing is not corruption?

You can not buy goodwill with money, let your actions speak for you, let the world see you at work, let the world see you showing leadership, let the world see you bring back our girls, let the world see you fight corruption and put corrupt people in jail, let the world see you stop appointing and surrounding yourself with corrupt people.

All the above steps cost nothing so stop wasting taxpayers money on fools gold.
Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by dustydee: 4:10pm On Jul 03, 2014
Kai! This is bad. We have become an object of ridicule in the international community. Nigeria used to be very well respected even during the dark Military days. May Nigerians rise above sectional and religious interests to elect the best person to lead our country.

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Nihilist: 4:53pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hahahahaha

You mean he got dissed by the same paper he wrote an editorial in? grin grin grin

Olololo

3 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 03, 2014
Our president is now the most mocked president in the world. If he wants to get his image back he knows what to do

2 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by aresa: 5:32pm On Jul 03, 2014
Nihilist: Hahahahaha

You mean he got dissed by the same paper he wrote an editorial in? grin grin grin

Olololo

They took his money before dissing him like mumu...

Mumu president..smh

3 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Idrismusty97(m): 7:48pm On Jul 04, 2014
Thread Revived!

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by dridowu: 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hmmmmm honestly our presi is now the laughing stock of the world. Chai GEJ don suffer from 4rin media

1 Like

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2014
Check his team out

2 Likes

Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Truckpusher(m): 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
Why won't they use the slightest opportunity to make mockery of him when all his policies are threatening their stranglehold on Nigeria their perceived backyard, whilst jumping into bed with China unclad.

Useless imperialists will never give up until their empire drops down like every other oppresive superpower before them.

Oya! gullible backward Nigerians ,help them pull your Presidency down and insult your country ,but before you throw the first stone you should also remember that their warmongering Presidents are killing thousands both innocent and the guilty all over the world without batting an eye.

I rest my case.
Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Truckpusher(m): 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2014
TribalEAST: Check his team out
Your Dad refers to these people as Madam and Sir, Just ask them when you get home. tongue
Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:38pm On Jul 04, 2014
This piece is originally written by Lai Muhammed in the Nation. APC hate GEJ. They have succeeded in buying the New York Times, Hillary Clinton, Jacob Zuma, Puff Daddy, Mitchell Obama, etc.
Re: Washington Post Makes A Huge Mockery Of President Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2014
Truckpusher: Your Dad refers to these people as Madam and Sir, Just ask them when you get home. tongue
so you actually accept that the presidency is a muppet show grin . Well, mr psychophant... my dad doesn't give a sheet about muppets.

(1) (Reply)

1.5 Million Emails Of Top Companies Executives And Ceos In Nigeria / How To Make Your Own War College Plaque Like APC Urchins / Photos : Buhari Pays A Courtesy Visit To Emir Of Lafia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.