Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff (34083 Views)

I Was Offered Money To Rig Bayelsa Polls, Says INEC Chief / It’s Rape Of Democracy, Says Sylva As INEC Stops Poll / Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by midolian(m): 4:30pm On Sep 11, 2015
The startling revelations at the Rivers State Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja took a new turn today (September 11) when Charles Okoye, a staff the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC described the April 11governorship election as a charade.

Okoye, who works in the Department of Elections and Party Monitoring at Rivers State INEC, told the tribunal that the governorship election that he monitored was a mockery.

According to him, “the election we observed was warfare. It is also militant terrorism and a sham. It was a kangaroo election and a mockery of democracy.

“The election was characterised by large-scale violence and disruption of polls in many places. There were snatching of materials, nonstop shooting, allocation of figures and all kinds of impunity. 

“All these happened on April 11. What happened on that day could not have passed as an election and my observations are in that report that I signed with members of my monitoring team.

“By virtue of my position at INEC, I am eminently qualified to speak on the things that happened during the election. My duty, among other things, is monitoring of election with a view to assisting the Commission improve the electoral process.

“Over 80 observer groups reported to me, and I briefed them concerning the elections and debriefed them at the end of the elections.

“I also set up monitoring teams that went to various parts of the state on monitoring. They reported to me at the end of the day, and I was the person in the commission who dealt with all the political parties before, during and after the elections”.

Okoye also said that INEC ad-hoc staff were not properly recruited, a revelation that confirmed the position of the All Progressives Congress, APC members who had claimed that the ad-hoc staff were card-carrying members of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Earlier, lawyers to INEC and the PDP had raised objections on the legality of an INEC staff serving as a witness relying on Section 51(1) of the Electoral Act. However, Chief Akin Olujimi SAN in response to their objections informed the tribunal that that portion of the Electoral Act has been removed, and therefore not binding.    

http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/11/rivers-governorship-election-%E2%80%9C-sham-mockery-democracy%E2%80%9D-says-inec-staff

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by IamAtribalist: 4:31pm On Sep 11, 2015
cool

The political thugs of Rivers State have no shame - the are a national disgrace. Mtcheeeeeeeeeeew.

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by ladyF(f): 4:31pm On Sep 11, 2015
sad shocked Wike Wike Wike....PDP una well done o!!!

Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by phantom(m): 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Una neva chi chum chin.....lol

PDP loosing at the center was all it took.
Amaechi is a grandmaster! Strike the sherphard and the sheep will scatter.
amaechis objective was very clear. Suffocate wike from the Very top.

Remove Jonathan and sleep soundly,even if wike wins at the State level.

84 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
interesting

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by ddippset(m): 4:33pm On Sep 11, 2015
I stopped feeling Sorry for wike long ago because Wike knew there was going to be a re-run and had already begun campaigning for the 2016 governorship election in rivers state by patching 1 million roads per second. The only people I feel Sorry for are the idiotas who are still arguing on nairaland yapping nothing will happen to wike.

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by midolian(m): 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
Rivers guber election has to be cancelled.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by dustmalik: 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
Wike is as good as gone. Quote me if you like, I don't care

33 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by docadams: 4:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
Was there elections in Rivers? No! What I saw were deserted streets except for marauding thugs, raucous polling units, shootings, hijacking, burning, and dead bodies.
Where did the 1m+ votes come from?

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 11, 2015
This election must be cancelled and wicked wike jailed angry

35 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Bevista: 4:51pm On Sep 11, 2015
Just when you think there's going to be some respite for Wike/PDP, the revelations of electoral fraud just keep pouring in.

The only reason why I want Wike out of that seat is so Amaechi can get compensated for his role in supporting PMB.

I don't want to see him (Amaechi) near Aso Rock. He will dent the anti-corruption toga of the Federal Cabinet. I'm sure that's the compensation card PMB and his spin doctors are playing.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Tonitelli: 4:53pm On Sep 11, 2015
haba!
Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by RollingStones(m): 4:58pm On Sep 11, 2015
Jega said the elections in the state was credible and the Commission did the right thing by announcing the winner.

We created a three man team to investigate the allegations of electoral malpractice,it was not true that elections didn't take place in majority of the state,it was not true that result sheets was manipulated.

There was no evidence of malpractice or photocopied result sheets and no substantial evidence to establish alterations.

From our investigations we were satisfied that there was no substantive evidence to cancel the elections as agitated by some people,we also have people on ground and observers like TMG,and others who also gave us honest report about what happened.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jega-fraud-in-rivers-greatly-exaggerated/212074/

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Firefire(m): 5:03pm On Sep 11, 2015
APC chasing shadow...

Itankun to ni ki ajanaku ma wo odo, ohun terin lo un lo.

18 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Bevista: 5:10pm On Sep 11, 2015
RollingStones:
Jega said the elections in the state was credible and the Commission did the right thing by announcing the winner.
Jega played his role as the Elections Umpire. Let the Tribunal play its role as the Elections Arbitrator.

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by vedaxcool(m): 5:20pm On Sep 11, 2015
Bevista:
Jega played his role as the Elections Umpire. Let the Tribunal play its role as the Elections Arbitrator.

If only Peoples Wailing Party could use their common sense before commenting, but fear is already gripping them because the case against them is rock solid! Make unah allow Tribunal do their job, biko!

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by RollingStones(m): 5:25pm On Sep 11, 2015
vedaxcool:

If only Peoples Wailing Party could use their common sense before commenting, but fear is already gripping them because the case against them is rock solid! Make unah allow Tribunal do their job, biko!

Wake me up when the tribunal exhausts their time chasing shadows.

By the way when will APC House of Assembly members impeach Fayose?

13 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by vedaxcool(m): 5:25pm On Sep 11, 2015
Firefire:
APC chasing shadow...

Itankun to ni ki ajanaku ma wo odo, ohun terin lo un lo.

But na your time APC dey take pursue shodows? Why the painment!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2266474_painment_jpeg_jpeg1e45a73a79a81af8c433abe33dfeedcd

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by omenka(m): 5:26pm On Sep 11, 2015
According to him, “the election we observed was warfare. It is also militant terrorism and a sham. It was a kangaroo election and a mockery of democracy.
Adios Nyiesomona Wikespectus spp.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by vedaxcool(m): 5:35pm On Sep 11, 2015
RollingStones:

Wake me up when the tribunal exhausts their time chasing shadows.

By the way when will APC House of Assembly members impeach Fayose?

Do you plan to be asleep for the next few months? grin grin grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by SkyBlue1: 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2015
ddippset:
I stopped feeling Sorry for wike long ago because Wike knew there was going to be a re-run and had already begun campaigning for the 2016 governorship election in rivers state by patching 1 million roads per second. The only people I feel Sorry for are the idiotas who are still arguing on nairaland yapping nothing will happen to wike.

The arguement I find amusing is "he will win it a million times if it is rerun". Fine then, let him win it a second time. I don't understand this fear people have of elections when Wike is a supposed "man of the people". Let him win in a clean election and solidify his mandate if he's so confident, that's all. That's assuming he doesn't go to jail or something.

17 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2015
Most ppl don't even know what's goin on. Its just 4 local govt all these noise his been made. U guys. Don't know that so long the larger part of the election is credible no election cancellation. Even if the election is to be canclled the sitting guvenor is loved by his ppl. Let the mastubators keep thriving on vasline.

Update Jega just said the election was free and Fair. We can now see APC is trying to show to the world what did not happen.

8 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by omusiliyu(m): 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2015
Wike... Your days in Rivers state government house are number...

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by loomer: 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2015
Make all una shut up jare, where for Nigeria rigging no take place?

6 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by allanphash7(m): 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2015
Agarawu where are you?

What do you have to tell your sleeping friend again?

Still looking tho

2 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by qualityovenbake(m): 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2015
Observing
Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by damiloladuke: 5:49pm On Sep 11, 2015
so what are we waiting for..put the rightful heir to the thron in his rightful place

ARE YOU A BLOGGER? CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 5:49pm On Sep 11, 2015
midolian:
Rivers guber election has to be cancelled
Even aalllah coupled with Buhari can't remove Wike from that seat. Go figure...

I need a re-run, Amaeshit and Damumu need to be trashed one final time.

Midoliar cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by veraponpo(m): 5:49pm On Sep 11, 2015
We knew that from time. When Amaechi said it, the wailing wailers said no.

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by CR77(f): 5:49pm On Sep 11, 2015
omusiliyu:
Wike... Your days in Rivers state government house are number...
Wike we know... grin

4 Likes

Re: Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff by Bobbystanley(m): 5:50pm On Sep 11, 2015
We all Know that election in Rivers State was free and fair.

Just that APC want to be in charge of at least one oil Rich State since PDP have occupied others.

They even had to disguise themselves as soldiers to go and Say that their was no election in Rivers State in the ongoing tribunal.

But they have failed.. Nyesom Ezenwo Wike (NEW) is the face of Rivers until 2023.

Even if another election is held today, PDP would defeat APC in Rivers State.

The oil Rich states are for PDP while APC owns the dry Lands.

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Edwin Clark: Taxi Driver Told Informant About Arms That Led To Raid On His Home / Fuel Subsidy: FG Begins 40% Pay Rise For Workers April Ending / Jonathan, PDP Governors Meet Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.