Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,007 members, 7,810,793 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? (13625 Views)

50 Reasons Why Yoruba Never Had An Empire But Civilized By Benin / Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? / Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by vikel2104: 7:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
As an educated person, one is expected to act with courtesy and civility. But that seems not to be the case especially in the Nigerian society. Right, it's not only peculiar to Nigeria. A look at how uncivilized the behaviours of some educated persons can be will make you wonder if education really makes people civilized or not.

It is not uncommon to see a man on tie and suit (a professional) threatening to pull it off and fight another man or hauling abuses at another person (sometimes in public!).

In the university system, you see lecturers who don't know how to carry themselves as educated people. Some students' behaviours can only be likened to that of 'agberos'.

In our national assembly, we have house members who went to school but we see incessant fist fights that occur in the house from time to time over disagreements in policies.

It is not also uncommon to see people littering the streets when they could simply look for a waste bin. Also many persons always try to jump queues in public places thereby creating disorderliness.

Then there is this practice of what we have termed 'jungle justice' where anybody caught in wrongdoing is lynched by a mob (among whom are educated people) when they could simply have taken the culprit to the appropriate authorities.
All these are uncivilised behaviours. Don't forget, some of these people even went to school 'abroad'

Therefore, does education really make people civilized or is there another factor?

7 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Fulaman198(m): 8:17pm On Jul 03, 2014
This is a very fantastic question.

Education does not really make one more civilized, allow me to elaborate.

With education, you gain a plethora of knowledge, however keep in mind that since the beginning of time, knowledge has been used for both good and evil, bad and good.

It is good when education is used for things that will positively benefit a group of people. However, it is not good when education is used for the detriment of another human being. An example of this is when human beings create weapons of mass destruction to hurt other human beings. What gives human beings the right to think they can wipe out a whole civilization of innocent people?

It is great when we utilize technology, modern medicine and science to positively benefit the world, but at the same time, these tools can be detrimental to the well-being of others if misused in a way to bring havoc.

If you want to talk on a more local level, some people are not very humble. I know of people out there who brag about their 2 Ph.Ds, 4 Masters Degrees and 8 Bachelors Degrees and look down on people who don't match them on an intellectual level. I also know people who have such degrees and they show complete humility. Instead of boasting and bragging about the degrees they have in a way to look down on others who may not possess such, these people thank God for giving them the opportunity to have such degrees so that they can put it to good use.

I hope that my contribution to this thread makes sense.

13 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by jieta: 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2014
i will like this topic to be taken to the front page
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Fulaman198(m): 11:28pm On Jul 03, 2014
jieta: i will like this topic to be taken to the front page

Ok, I'll work on that

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by raziboi(m): 5:48am On Jul 04, 2014
any gud thing will always av De bad side of it.....

dias a BIG difference btw I went to school AND am educated

just saying

7 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Areaboy2(m): 5:49am On Jul 04, 2014
indirectly, Yes..

Someone with a high education level will most likely act more civil than another fellow with lower or none.. I don't quite agree that the education itself is the cause but rather the exposure/experience such education level brings..

2 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by tuoyoojo(m): 5:51am On Jul 04, 2014
Education doesn't, but the application of what u are taught and the penalty for not being civil.

The truth is that in every man , there is a raging "beast". What keeps him in check are laws n penalties for breaking them.

Some nigerias who go abroad and line up to pay for sometin would come home, act unciviled and when other people complain, they would shout at the top of their lungs "do u know who I am"

Where there are penalties for uncivility, then u wud see "educated" people acting as they should.

3 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by slimpoppa(m): 5:52am On Jul 04, 2014
somehow
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Sijo01(f): 5:59am On Jul 04, 2014
There are so many educated uncivilized being out there. Education does not make one civilized.

3 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by oyatmicah(m): 6:00am On Jul 04, 2014
being educated dosnt simply mean u can erase ur attitude. they are two different things.bt wen u ar educated nd act like an ignoramus then dats wen d problem comes in

2 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 6:04am On Jul 04, 2014
It depend on the type of education.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by say4gunit(m): 6:04am On Jul 04, 2014
It does!
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by reyjay(m): 6:05am On Jul 04, 2014
There are four arguments made by the pro-educational camp:
Firstly, that Civilization teaches people about technologies,
cultures, buildings, leaders, and of course, civilizations, from all
over the world and across the sweep of history. I’m fairly
sympathetic to this view, and I admire the game’s expansive
worldview – it makes a real effort to include civilizations other
than those already familiar to the West.
However, I question exactly how much any player takes away
from the game – it’s not as if you need to read the in-game
encyclopaedia (the ‘Civilopedia’) to perform well, and the entire
point of the game is that you get to play around with history –
it’s not as if you’re learning about ancient Chinese or Persian
battles. I’ll grant that a motivated student of history might read
up on all the game’s historical articles – but once you find that
student, the job’s mostly-done already.
Secondly, that by playing the game, Civilization helps people
understand concepts like the scarcity of natural resources, the
importance of geography, and the impact that small decisions
can have across centuries (basically, it’s ‘Guns, Germs and
Steel’ in game form). Again, I’m not sure if people actually take
away these concepts from the game unless they’re specifically
pointed out to them. In some ways I think that Civilization
presents a very deterministic and mercantilist view of history,
one with constant advancement being the norm; the role of
chance and of total disaster is papered over, in the (very
understandable) service of gameplay. Maybe this chimes with a
particular Western (or perhaps American) view of history, but
it’s not something I recognise from reality.
Thirdly, that Civilization is a powerful tool for teachers to
provide context to history lessons. This is actually a pretty good
idea – not one that I’ve seen in practice or know much about
myself, admittedly. I can see how a good teacher could use
Civilization to think about counterfactuals like “Why is my
country the size/power it is now, instead of what it is in my
game?” and to illustrate some of the ‘Guns, Germs and Steel’
concepts. I don’t know if a single teacher could do this for a
class of 30 students, but if you lowered the number, or perhaps
played a few democracy games, it could work very well. One
can imagine a game of Civilization providing the spine for an
entire term’s worth of activities, from art and language to
science and politics; I’d sign up, for sure!
Lastly, that mods to Civilization (community-created
modifications or expansions to the game) can give players very
good lessons in specific subjects. In 2007, Telefilm Canada
funded the imaginatively-named The History Game Canada, a
million-dollar expansion of Civilization 3 that lets you play as
one of nine civilizations, including the Algonquin, Mohawk,
French, and English, to rewrite the country’s history and
explore various counterfactuals like:
Civilization 3 was the clunkiest and most frustrating game of the
series, so I am in no hurry to try this out, but it sounds very
enticing, and potentially a real improvement on dry, didactic
history lessons (though not cheap, of course).
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find many other overtly
educational mods for Civilization, which isn’t surprising, since
good mods can require surprising amounts of graphical assets,
text, code, rules, and design (I speak from bitter experience after
having attempted a couple of total conversions in my youth). It
takes a remarkably motivated and skilled teacher to make the
effort of designing a custom map, arranging all the cities and
units just so, and tweaking the rules to fit the context – but it
does happen, as demonstrated by Shawn Graham, who made a
mod called The Year of the Four Emperors, aimed at teaching
his undergrad students about the events after Nero’s
assassination in 68AD, and how someone other than Vespasian
might have won out.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by hydeka: 6:06am On Jul 04, 2014
Wrong attitude needs more than formal education to correct
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by calyb247(m): 6:17am On Jul 04, 2014
@OP, your question is a striking one dat needs reaction from those who claim to be more educated than Aristotle yet they act like Terry G.. However, u should have distinguished between 'going to school' and 'being educated', they re two different things. Going to school might have an impact on ur behavior but education goes beyond that.

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by acorntree(m): 6:19am On Jul 04, 2014
Not all who possess the certificate are really educated. Too many shortcut in our educational system. So how do we now decide who are really educated.

3 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by disloman(m): 6:33am On Jul 04, 2014
We should make this mistake.Orientation is diff from education.Can't say much.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by naijathings(m): 6:35am On Jul 04, 2014
not really.
anybody can get education and still be a caveman with stone age mentality.
it is the same educated people that come out and say child marriage is okay.
it is the same educated people that will never give way to others on the road and cause traffic every time their car rides out
it is the same educated people that still beat and beat and beat their wives
it is the same educated people that dole out little bags of rice to win elections
it is the same educated people that still molest children (priests are very very educated)
it is the same educated people that take 200 girls into the bush and say they have no reason to be in school (most terrorists are highly educated)
education can lead to bad orientation, depends on what you are being taught and who is brainwashing you

7 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 04, 2014
Without law man is a beast
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by NaLaugh: 6:47am On Jul 04, 2014
yes
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by dejt4u(m): 7:14am On Jul 04, 2014
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by otokx(m): 7:22am On Jul 04, 2014
Are you referring to formal or informal education?
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by MillionDollars: 7:25am On Jul 04, 2014
I dont knw, but it made GEJ fffuuuuccckkkki.i.n.g CLUELESS

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by dejt4u(m): 7:27am On Jul 04, 2014
Formal education is nt necessarily a pre-requisite to civilization..

Education is far far more dan attending the four walls of classroom i.e the pedagogy and certifications..

To me, education is how to cope wit situations, approaches to problems nd the level of reasoning..

Therefore, IF YOU ARE EDUCATED, YOU MUST BE CIVILIZED.. Mind you, aint talkin 'bout formal education here

4 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by BodyKiss(m): 7:32am On Jul 04, 2014
If you use most Nigerians as case study, the answer is NO
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by opylas(m): 7:55am On Jul 04, 2014
hydeka: Wrong attitude needs more than education to correct
Exactly! I think it does. I think being civilized aftr getting education is sth dat happens 'by default', it's jst thr & jst happens if u want it 2. I bliv whether or not an individual is civilized has 2 do wt d individual & smtyms hs environment-no matter d level of education, it's a bit of a task 4 Jang 2 b civilized in his uncivilized town. Same thing applies 2 nations. Rem civilization jst is an advanced systm of human social development.

Just what I think.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by krystal101(f): 8:01am On Jul 04, 2014
In the case of Nigerians, if you always show how civil you are, they start seeing u as a slow person any1 can manipulate. I think that's why Nigerians don't behave like they even went to school in the 1st place
Especially Lagosians

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by UjSizzle(f): 8:15am On Jul 04, 2014
Every certificate you get from going to school(primary-university level) awards you a degree for both character and learning.
If an educated person fails the character test, then the institution should be blamed for giving us half baked graduates. Then individual should be blamed for not paying attention to the other half of his education.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Afam4eva(m): 8:21am On Jul 04, 2014
Education makes people exude more civility. What does not guarantee civility is going to school. People tend to mistake going to school with being educated. Having a certificate does not make you educated and invariably does not make you logical and civilized. It rings more true in a country like Nigeria where the pursuit for certificates thumps the search fro an education. Nigeria is made up of a lot of educated illiterates like i like to call them. These are people who live in the delusion of grandeur of being educated and they waste no time in professing it but their demeanour does not display any atom of intellectual and physical decorum. people who are educated don't say it, you just see it in them.

5 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Afam4eva(m): 8:27am On Jul 04, 2014
krystal101: In the case of Nigerians, if you always show how civil you are, they start seeing u as a slow person any1 can manipulate. I think that's why Nigerians don't behave like they even went to school in the 1st place
Especially Lagosians
People who are educated are not moved by society. They make their own rules and abide by them. Anybody who is swayed by the idiosyncrasies of a particular place is not educated. They're simply acting educated. Acting educated and being educated are two different variables.

2 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by joywendy(f): 8:28am On Jul 04, 2014
well, it depends. You might have been to the four wall of a classroom doesn't make you an educated person. With the way our educational system is in nigeria, being educated doesnt exactly make you civil... being civil goes beyond education. It's the mindset of the individual and some other factors in place.

2 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by chinex276(m): 8:30am On Jul 04, 2014
My mum av neva seen d 4 walls of a class room bt i swear she more civilised dan millions of educated pple... Lyk 2face said *2 be civilised u dnt have 2 be educated*

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Compelled Traditional Rulers To Undergo Drug Test — Emir Sanusi / Dressing Among Tribes / Nigerian Hookers Invade Denmark Offering Better Deals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.