Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along (306251 Views)

Free DIY Handfans, Wire works, Bead works, Ankara bangles e.t.c Tutorials / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Emajoy: 11:35am On Aug 22, 2014
Am in dis time. Pls which material r we using?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
I assume we all know how to take our body measurement? If not Check previous post in how to....

I am using a stretch lace fabric with Ankara fabric for d skirt.

Materials needed.
1yard of lace fabric
1.5 to 2yrds of Ankara fabric (depending on ur size)
Rubber (1 inche)
Invisible zip (for skirt)
Stay for d skirt

Get ur materials ready and post pix if u can and let's roll.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by cheries: 3:35pm On Aug 23, 2014
arakulture: I assume we all know how to take our body measurement? If not Check previous post in how to....
I am using a stretch lace fabric with Ankara fabric for d skirt.
Materials needed.
1yard of lace fabric
1.5 to 2yrds of Ankara fabric (depending on ur size)
Rubber (1 inche)
Invisible zip (for skirt)
Stay for d skirt
Get ur materials ready and post pix if u can and let's roll.
Am in but pls, can we see the pic or sample of the project so as to know the type and how many yrds of material to purchase.
Thanx for all ur selfless efforts and services.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Seroautos: 5:39pm On Aug 23, 2014
HOW TO WALK LIKE A LADY

The way you move, stand, sit, use your hands or place your feet silently communicates to the world. A woman should express her beauty not only with her physical features, but in the way she moves with poise and grace. A beautiful walk is the sign of a graceful poised woman. Follow these steps.

1.} Lift your thigh slightly. Don't lead with your shoulders.

2.} For a feminine walk, the space between your steps should be about the length of your foot. Too long a stride is masculine, too short is mincing.

3.} On each step your heel should touch the floor first, then quickly shift the weight forward to the entire foot as you take the next step. Keep your feet close to the ground when you lift them. visit www.ladieswinds.com to learn more.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by oduamine: 11:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
@arakulture pleaase post picture of the project thanks

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by toyrus: 6:32am On Sep 02, 2014
I beg I dey folofolo ooooo

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2014
Am back....bb was down and I had to switch to android but d megabyte is not encouraging jare.

To make our crop top, you need d following measurement.

Length
Shoulder
Bust
Sleeve length
Round sleeve
Armhole
Arm
Waist

Following d procedure of our dress to cut Ur top, will post pic later it's not attaching for now.

1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemade14: 11:45am On Sep 09, 2014
In,thanks. Would also like you to teach how to fold fabric and how to cut dresses that includes adding breast pads.what they call breast cut.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 12:45am On Sep 28, 2014
Sorry peeps, been a while. Am super busy running my fashion outfit, it's a lot of work but it's all good, not complaining.

Our next project will be a flare skirt with a basic kimono top.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 12:56am On Sep 28, 2014
Yeah days me rocking mine, made lots of dis in sizes and colours available at our store, our website is loading grin

Measurements needed

Skirt
Waist
Length

Shoulder
Bust
Hips
Armhole (not compulsory though for dis style but it's better to measure if u are a beginner)

Materials needed
Air stay or gum stay for band if u desire it
Invisible zip or normal one
Lining
Fabric for skirts (2yrds or more) depending on how gull or long u want
Plain (1yard to 1.5 depending on Ur size and length of fabric)

Get Ur materials ready and hoola if u are following.

Register for our fashion design training and be Ur own boss.
Call 08122632245 or add me on bb.24C64560

We offer d following trainings
Fashion designing 3/6 months and 1yr training
Ankara craft trainings

Arakulture.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by mamatochi: 6:05pm On Sep 28, 2014
hello Ara!!! thank God u are back. cant wait to start, but how far with our crop top and skirt na grin anyway following
arakulture: Yeah days me rocking mine, made lots of dis in sizes and colours available at our store, our website is loading grin
Measurements needed
Skirt
Waist
Length
Shoulder
Bust
Hips
Armhole (not compulsory though for dis style but it's better to measure if u are a beginner)
Materials needed
Air stay or gum stay for band if u desire it
Invisible zip or normal one
Lining
Fabric for skirts (2yrds or more) depending on how gull or long u want
Plain (1yard to 1.5 depending on Ur size and length of fabric)
Get Ur materials ready and hoola if u are following.
Register for our fashion design training and be Ur own boss.
Call 08122632245 or add me on bb.24C64560
We offer d following trainings
Fashion designing 3/6 months and 1yr training
Ankara craft trainings
Arakulture.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by tayben015(f): 9:25pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ayam following oooooooo.....#Godblessaraculture#
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 10:24am On Sep 29, 2014
following!
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 29, 2014
To cut our circle skirt or flare skirt you need a little math but every designer has his or her own method, I will keep day a secret grin.

The general method comes in different calculation but d common method is Wat we will be using.

Measure your waist and add allowance.

E.g. 31 + 2 ÷ 6.28 =ur radius
Dats Ur waist + allowance ÷6.28

Fabric placement will folded into 4 dat measure Ur 2yrds and fold into 2 then fold d middle into 2 again to form a square or rectangle depending on d length of fabric use.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2014
Check pix and hopefully u understand d derails, bear with me not used to teach over the phone still learning grin cheesy cheesy wink

Starting from one corner after u fold Ur fabric, measure Ur radius to form something like a arc then starting from dat point measure d length of Ur skirt, make sure u have enough fabric to avoid joining and headache for beginners so dat u dont join

So let's practice dat and pls send pix and ask questions.

If I don't see pix of Ur project will not go on oooo.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 29, 2014
For d top...

Using Ur top measurement you will need..

Length 26
Shoulder 15
Hips (blouse) 39
Bust 37
Waist (optional) 31
Armhole 16

Using d biggest part of our measurement dats 39 on my own measurement above, Fold Ur fabric into four and add 1.5 inch allowance depending on hw loose u want it

E.g. 39 + 1.5 ÷ 4 = our fabric on fold. We are cutting front and back together. U can also cut them separately.

After folding Ur fabric, measure Ur shoulder and add 4 to 7inches to it depending on how long u want d sleeve then measure down from that point to get Ur armhole, add 4inches to Ur armhole measurement cos it has to be loose around dat side, measure Ur bust + 2 waist +2 and hips +2 or less or more dats Ur choice and Ur length

3 Likes

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 29, 2014
For neck leave it till after u measure and cut everything then separate d front and back then cut out neck as u wish, I use v on mine u can use whatever u desire.

Ask questions and hope I explain well u can also check our old post on how to measure u r self and cut Ur clothe.

Also, the top has no zip remember we added 2inches sew in 0.5 inches and d rest will give u enough ease to wear.

Note don't add less then 1.5 inch allowance.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by goforwardagu: 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2014
hello arakulture,i finally made my kimono top but i made a gown instead of a top and skirt.

looking forward to the next topic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 17, 2014
Am glad u did, was waiting for a pix before we move ahead.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 17, 2014
Wat do we make next! Any idea from someone?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by beefash24: 6:30am On Oct 17, 2014
Am thinking a peplum top nd six piesces skirt or six pieces gown.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by ladyju(f): 6:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
Pls lets do 6 pieces skirt or gown. Thanks in advance kiss
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 18, 2014
Then let's do it.....materials needed

Fabric 3 yards or more
Ruler
Paper fir Ur pattern

Post Ur fabrics then we start...

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by ayomayo2: 11:05am On Oct 18, 2014
Hi, r we making a skirt or dress...tnx
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 18, 2014
We are making skirt dear
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by helen4(f): 9:28pm On Oct 20, 2014
Following sis.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 21, 2014
following
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2014
Back to our skirt....six pcs skirt can be really tricky and every designer has his or her own method that works for them.

For me d way I was taught is kind of confusing to understand so after I taught few people and it took them ages to figure it out so I began a search for appropriate method that suits me and those around me.

The first thing you need to do is get Ur waist, hip and kneel measurement (circumference) waist to hip (where u have Ur figure 8 grin) waist to kneel (where Ur flare starts from).

Then I will decide how full I want my skirt to be that will determine how many yards of fabric u will use.

I want it full in a normal way....so am using 3yrds for my skirt. (for bigger babe's u can use 3.5 - 4yrds)

Time for some math, in a yard of fabric we have 36inches so am multiplying dat by number of yards then divide what u get by 6 dats (number of pcs of Ur skirt) to give us our fabric to fold for d first pcs/each pcs.

36 x 3 = 108
108 ÷ 6 = 18

Now we cut out our paper 18inches width by Ur skirt height.

Any questions? Do we understand Wat have explained so far?

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by beefash24: 9:26pm On Oct 22, 2014
Thank u for the little explanation,but plz I think we'll get it well if it is also shown on the paper pattern for us all to see.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by sunshyng: 2:30am On Oct 23, 2014
Hi! Kudos to u arakulture, just joining d thread, sorry to take u back but I just cudnt understand d yoyo bow u explained, d picture wasn't clear enough for ♍ε, I cudnt see d steps. Where do I gather and d round cloth does it have to be two? Thanks as I await ur reply.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 23, 2014
@ beefash thanks for following. We have not gotten to d pix part, we need to understand d steps first which is Wat I have explained then we start to draft and cut on our paper.

Do u understand dearie?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 23, 2014
@sunshyn thanks for Ur interest, d pic is very clear to explain, d first step is to cut Ur circle, the second step is to do a basting stitch or running stitch which means sewing round d circle to form a gather then tack it in place and put a Hutton on it and viola u have a brooch.

The circle is always one for a single type but u can pit more than one together to form a design.

Do u understand it now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

My Crochet Fantasy / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.