Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? (826 Views)

How Ebola Kills God As Well As Humans / Giving Your Wedding Night To God As A First Fruit Of Marriage? - No Intimacy / The Act Of 'giving To God' As Explained By Pastor E. A. Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by Gombs(m): 11:52am On Jul 04, 2014
Question –We read of how God changed the name of Abram to Abraham, and Jacob to Israel. My question is, even after changing the names of the above characters, we still read of how God is addressed as “The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob”. Why?

Answer: Now there are three names here; Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Now when God said this, when he made the statement, he actually made it to Moses. Moses wanted to know his name, and God identified himself as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. It’s actually a legitimate question when he said why he didn’t say Israel, because he had changed the man’s name to Israel. After all, he didn’t say I’m the God of Abram, the reason was about Israel.

At that time, the people of Israel acted differently. They acted in an unstable manner. When they acted like other nations, he called them Jacob. And when they acted according to his Word, they were Israel. Israel means prince; a prince that has power with God. But Jacob means deception, Player and deceiver. Jacob was given to him by his father and many times Jacob really acted that way. He acted according to his character. What’s God saying when he says I’m the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob instead of saying and of Israel. Irrespective of Israel’s behavior, he was going to remain his God, when he acted like Jacob, he was his God, when he acted like Israel, and he was his God. God was not going to change himself because the man’s name was changed because of his character and behavior. He says, “You will no longer be known as Jacob, swindler, deceiver, but as Israel”.

Abraham’s case was a different situation, it was not his character; he was named that way, not according to his character, not the bad thing. Now Jacob put his hand to his brother’s heel when he was born. So he says he took him by the heel (and they were twins). He took him by the heel and God said what he did then was wrong even though both of them didn’t know good or evil. But then, God said the younger one will be greater than the older one. This went through their lives, and we find out how he asked his brother for his birth right as time went on. And his brother was careless about it. The Bible says that Esau was profane, meaning that he had no regard for spiritual things, and so he didn’t care. And God allowed this to happen; he knew ahead of time, he gave his Word concerning them ahead of time. So whether he was going to act like Jacob or Israel, the Word concerning him was steadfast. So what is the lesson here? God doesn’t turn his back on you just because you have now acted like Jacob, he doesn’t. His promises are not for you because you have acted like Israel and his promises belong to you, whether you are acting like Jacob or you are acting like Israel. But he has given you his counsel to be steadfast and unmovable.
Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:32pm On Jul 04, 2014
Booked
Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 05, 2014
The GOD of all who believe...the GOD of doubleDX, that's how I address him in prayers grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by advocate666: 10:01am On Jul 05, 2014
Because he's their god, stupid.
Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by PastorOluT(m): 10:45am On Jul 05, 2014
doubleDx: The GOD of all who believe...the GOD of doubleDX, that's how I address him in prayers grin

Exactly, sincerely I just can't process ow a mature xtian would pray in d name of the God of other men?

And sire, top of the morning.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 05, 2014
One word: Colonisation. They see the world through the blue eyes of white men. Their own ancestors are not good enough to be associated with God. It has to be foreign people like "Abraham" for it to make sense to them. Hope they recover from their mental sickness.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2014
Pastor Olu T:

Exactly, sincerely I just can't process ow a mature xtian would pray in d name of the God of other men?

Hailings to you brah! deluded minds like advocate666 and his cohorts cannot see or understand "truth" because they are serving their prejudgement sentences for blasphemies spewed offline/online grin

That is why the carnal mind cannot understand the things of the spirit of GOD! I'm not surprised grin
Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by mployer(m): 8:46pm On Jul 05, 2014
Very interesting read.
Re: Why Do People Still Address God As The God Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob? by mployer(m): 8:52pm On Jul 05, 2014
Pastor Olu T:

It doesn't matter how you feel about it, you are serving the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Its a name God gave to Himself and you don't know more than Him

He called Himself the God of Israel. He is not the God of our fore-fathers, our fore-fathers worshipped Idols.

(1) (Reply)

Types Of Atheist. Which Group Do You Belong? / More Than 50 UK Catholic Priests Defrocked For Sex Abuse / Path To Paradise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.