Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,886 members, 7,828,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? (2941 Views)

Enugu's New State Secretariat / BREAKING NEWS - - - North-east Zone Of CAN Endorses Buhari / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 4:50pm On Jul 05, 2014
millionaireman: @EMMA BC, I hope you do not permit yourself to be swayed by some highly opinionated people on NL. Anioma state if and when created but remaining in the SOUTHSOUTH ZONE is an added advantage to the bargaining power of the Igbo in Nigeria. Head campaigners for Anioma state never wished it returns to SOUTHEAST zone when created. However, there are some among the hoi polloi that hang on this sentiment: "rest of Igbo, please help us get Anioma state so as to reintegrate Anioma Igbo to the southeast." But it is impracticable to have that part of Delta state democratically returned to southeast zone. Anioma had never belonged to Eastern Nigeria. Igbos give every support for Anioma state, but the souteast people have been clamouring for sixth state primarily because people of southeast are grossly under -represented in every political gathering of Nigerians, more so, in the NASS. By ANY YARDSTICK to be adopted by Nigeria to create a sixth state in the southeast, the twelve local govt areas in Imo West senatorial zone come first to be pronounced the sixth state, and far above the other demands for state in the southeast. Above all, HISTORY of state creation in the southeast zone further supports Njaba state, or if need be, ANIM state.
Anioma is my choice and has always been. It is a project that if actualized will give SE more expansion, more natural and man-made resource. However, my fear is hinged on the huge opposition this choice is going to face both frm within and outside.

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EmeeNaka: 5:04pm On Jul 05, 2014
millionaireman: @EMMA BC, I hope you do not permit yourself to be swayed by some highly opinionated people on NL. Anioma state if and when created but remaining in the SOUTHSOUTH ZONE is an added advantage to the bargaining power of the Igbo in Nigeria. Head campaigners for Anioma state never wished it returns to SOUTHEAST zone when created. However, there are some among the hoi polloi that hang on this sentiment: "rest of Igbo, please help us get Anioma state so as to reintegrate Anioma Igbo to the southeast." But it is impracticable to have that part of Delta state democratically returned to southeast zone. Anioma had never belonged to Eastern Nigeria. Igbos give every support for Anioma state, but the souteast people have been clamouring for sixth state primarily because people of southeast are grossly under -represented in every political gathering of Nigerians, more so, in the NASS. By ANY YARDSTICK to be adopted by Nigeria to create a sixth state in the southeast, the twelve local govt areas in Imo West senatorial zone come first to be pronounced the sixth state, and far above the other demands for state in the southeast. Above all, HISTORY of state creation in the southeast zone further supports Njaba state, or if need be, ANIM state.
i support Adada state creation and i wish the Igbo villages in Benue state will be added to it.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EmeeNaka: 5:06pm On Jul 05, 2014
EMMA BC:
Anioma is my choice and has always been. It is a project that if actualized will give SE more expansion, more natural and man-made resource. However, my fear is hinged on the huge opposition this choice is going to face both frm within and outside.
it will be fiercely opposed and i will be on side of opposition.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EmeeNaka: 5:12pm On Jul 05, 2014
Evergreen123:

the presence of igbos outside SE had put them in identity crisis
which identity crisis and who really cares about that?. State creation for SE will not be done with such a point.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Donmarrius: 5:27pm On Jul 05, 2014
Ikengawo: Anioma is my choice. We must add to our territory, not divide it into smaller fiefdoms.
the SE needs a presence on both sides of the river Niger to more accurately encompass the span of the Igbo people in Nigeria. Many believe that they're in igboland once the cross the bridge into onitcha and this misconception has to be combated because it marginalizes us as a people.

Add them to SE and gain what from it?.

Last i check,the confab proposed the creation of Anioma state,out of Delta,and also proposed states as federating units.
If thats true,its stupid of us,to deprive ourselves,the oppurtunity,to get more allocations,and other federal oppurtunities,from FG,due to more 4 states,in the SE.
If more states is created in SE,it means more financial and equal oppurtunities at the federal level.
The creation of 4 states in SE,doesn't stop that of our Anioma brothers,which also has already been proposed for creation.

1 Like

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by millionaireman: 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2014
EMMA BC:

You are nearly on the same page with me when you mentioned opposition. The opposition is hinged on the reality that Anioma state if created can NEVER be integrated by Nigeria to the southeast zone in a democracy, unless by military fiat. Remember the SW still grinds axe with the Igbo over Igbo's role in enhancing the creation of Midwest region where Anioma belonged from SW Nigeria. But do you know that Igbos, wherever found, stand to gain more from having Anioma in the Southsouth, than having it in the southeast?

Above all, states in Nigeria are not created to have ethnic groups in one zone. States are created to avoid having a conglomeration of ethnic groups in one zone, primarily to avoid disintegration of Nigeria. If having ethnic groups in one zone is the objective for creation of states, then we may have to create up to 100 states in the north as well as another 20 in the southsouth.

Even after that, we may have to uproot many ethnic groups from their natural homes and relocate them to new lands close to their other same ethnic groups.

You opened this thread, you know the history of state creation in the southeast area, you ought to have known that so long as Ebonyi state - the fifth state in the southeast area - was created from Abia and Enugu states, naturally, a sixth state has to be created from Imo and Anambra states, or from either of the two states. Must we go rigmarole method in choice of location for a possible sixth state in the southeast - and for what?
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by Ikengawo: 1:25am On Jul 06, 2014
Donmarrius:

Add them to SE and gain what from it?.

Last i check,the confab proposed the creation of Anioma state,out of Delta,and also proposed states as federating units.
If thats true,its stupid of us,to deprive ourselves,the oppurtunity,to get more allocations,and other federal oppurtunities,from FG,due to more 4 states,in the SE.
If more states is created in SE,it means more financial and equal oppurtunities at the federal level.
The creation of 4 states in SE,doesn't stop that of our Anioma brothers,which also has already been proposed for creation.

You're going that have to escape the mentality that nothing outside of federal allocation matters in the world. The creation of the SE was an attempt to divide igbos and shrink their territory. With Aniomas in stuck in the SS and more of our bothers stuck in Benue Rivers and Awka Ibom we have deduced out thinking into believing there are no igbos past anambra and this is foolish regardless of how much federal allocation we get for thinking this.

If we add another state to the SE by breaking up the current states and 'get more federal allocation' will we then clap while the whole of western igbo land is being milked dry by Warri? or igbos are being killed in Benue? What people on earth used a federal allocation to develop? We are ready to take away the whole of western igbo land in the name of 'federal allocation'. We won't progress with this mentality.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by eaglechild: 5:29am On Jul 06, 2014
Any further division of the existing SE states will only foster disunity.

What we need is an addition in the name of Anioma.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by revolt(m): 7:36am On Jul 06, 2014
Personally there's no argument here. Though lots of anioma are born with identity crises, its important that a state be created for them. They're heavily marginalised and they're one of the most industrous brilliant igbo stocks. They need to be let loose , they'll achieve milestones. As for adada and co they can wait, arthur nzeribe and co simply want more fiefdoms. On ANIOMA we stand ooo..
Ndewo unu.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by millionaireman: 1:01pm On Jul 06, 2014
Now that a sixth state has been approved for the southeast:
my good people of Owerri zone, including those with many of the monikers on this thread thumbing for Anioma, pls take note: shocked shocked

Talk now is about a sixth state in the present southeast area, NOT rearrangement of geo-political zones. You can only use your diversionary and false sympathy for Anioma state to hoodwink a few uninitiated.

Take note: 13% from derivation that is given to oil producing states makes lots of money for states attached to off-shore crude oil, like Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Rivers and Delta states, or for states that produce huge onshore crude oil; but hardly any big money for Imo state. So any oil deposit in Imo West senatorial zone count for little or nothing for the people gunning for ANIM/Njaba state. So please stop counting on retaining Imo Oil producing state to propagate injustice against the southeast. Bring in 2 million or so more people in Anioma for sixth state in the southeast, you still make the people in present southeast under-represented in any gathering of Nigerians. Wake up and stop shooting yourselves on the feet.

When East Central state was divided, people of Anambra and Enugu states were not so crooked or naive to hide under "do not divide East Central state, instead, bring our brothers from Bendel state for another state to join to us."
Anmbra and Enugu states knew then that crude oil deposit in then outgoing Imo state was not all that mattered in state creation. Today, they are not regretting letting Imo state go in 1976.

History of how the five states in the southeast emerged: Ebonyi state was created from Abia and Enugu states. Thus, any sixth state must emerge from Imo and Anambra states - or from any of the two. Nigerians that create states know this history. So take your false and pretentious Anioma state sympathy to the birds of the air.

states are not created for ethnic groups; even Anioma people have not asked for return to southeast zone- of course, that is not practicable in a democracy.

2 Likes

Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 2:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
I like your doggedness. But your up against a popular opinion here. Try harder.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by millionaireman: 3:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
EMMA BC: I like your doggedness. But your up against a popular opinion here. Try harder.
Wrong. Opinion that Anioma be made state and joined to southeast as southeast's sixth state is NEVER the popular opinion among Igbos, including the Aniomas. More so, it is NEVER even an opinion among those well-informed Igbos who ask for sixth state in the southeast, it was NEVER opinion of southeast's participants in the past NPRC, NEVER the opinion of Igbos in the present N. Conference.

These Igbos of southeast thumbing for Anioma, instead of thumbing for a sixth state to be created from the present southeast - they are Igbos either influenced by desire to continue to answer oil producing Imo or Abia state, or jaundiced by one thing or other. Some suffer outright ignorance regarding why people in the southeast started the agitation for sixth state. The agitation was first brought to Nigeria in the NPRC by people of present Imo West senatorial district.

For the umpteenth time, talk today is not about rearranging the six geo-political zones, talk today is creation of a sixth state in the present southeast.
Re: Now That A New State Has Been Approved For D South East Zone,what Next? by EMMABC1(m): 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
millionaireman: Wrong. Opinion that Anioma be made state and joined to southeast as southeast's sixth state is NEVER the popular opinion among Igbos, including the Aniomas. More so, it is NEVER even an opinion among those well-informed Igbos who ask for sixth state in the southeast, it was NEVER opinion of southeast's participants in the past NPRC, NEVER the opinion of Igbos in the present N. Conference.

These Igbos of southeast thumbing for Anioma, instead of thumbing for a sixth state to be created from the present southeast - they are Igbos either influenced by desire to continue to answer oil producing Imo or Abia state, or jaundiced by one thing or other. Some suffer outright ignorance regarding why people in the southeast started the agitation for sixth state. The agitation was first brought to Nigeria in the NPRC by people of present Imo West senatorial district.

For the umpteenth time, talk today is not about rearranging the six geo-political zones, talk today is creation of a sixth state in the present southeast.
you got me wrong buddie. I said u are up a against popular on NL and not SE or Igboland.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Join PDP When Satan Converts To Islam— El Rufai - / If Benin-ore Road That Was Nigeria's Stubborn Generational Curse Can Be Smooth.. / The Fr. Mbaka Vs Chimaroke Battle In Retrospect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.