Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,408 members, 7,861,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:47 AM

Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? (17032 Views)

Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? / Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Damsonkc(m): 7:15am On Apr 24, 2016
Aquariann:

Check the date of the thread.
And to think it hit FP today is quite funny. Just like the OP, I think I've the same problem. Worst still is I have mad love for digital marketing/ advertising and I also got mad love for teaching. Teaching makes me feel alive as I get to deal with people physically unlike digital marketing where the closest you could get is contacting people via social media. A bigger problem for me is the question of wanting money or serving humanity. cry
Aquariann:

Check the date of the thread.
And to think it hit FP today is quite funny. Just like the OP, I think I've the same problem. Worst still is I have mad love for digital marketing/ advertising and I also got mad love for teaching. Teaching makes me feel alive as I get to deal with people physically unlike digital marketing where the closest you could get is contacting people via social media. A bigger problem for me is the question of wanting money or serving humanity.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Blackkie: 7:16am On Apr 24, 2016
If you need ''just'' the money MNC is the way to go.

But if you need a career and make an impact that will be felt, lecturing will be fine for you.
The funny thing is that due to the ''denial'' nature of many civil servants in Nigeria, many of our citizens are not aware of how juicy lecturing job is.
I know many lecturers go home with above N500,000 monthly, you work lesser hours and enjoy all holidays to the fullest. Getting grants for research and travelling around the world on the bill of government and donor agencies is at your disposal if you want.
Not only that, the exposure you get being a lecturer is far beyond what you get from MNC.

Many university dons have gone ahead to become commissioners, ministers, governors and heads of states, those from MNC who have hit this mark are fewer.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Kazrem(m): 7:18am On Apr 24, 2016
Akdegreat:
Hello nairalanders,
If you found yourself in the position, which career path would you follow? A job in a federal university as a lecturer or a job in a multinational cooperation?
For career satisfaction, I will go for lecturing job. Check my signature to see how much I love it.
BTW what's the difference between Federal University lecturer and state university lecturer?

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by babyfaceafrica: 7:20am On Apr 24, 2016
folahann:
I see lecturing job and first class on the same page everyday. Can't a 2nd Class upper student also put in for lecturing job?
oga most lecturers are second class ..at least I can talk for my then. Faculty of arts UNILAG the..in the whole faculty just 2 first class lecturers...second class ti take over!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Superbrain(m): 7:21am On Apr 24, 2016
Akdegreat:
Hello nairalanders,
If you found yourself in the position, which career path would you follow? A job in a federal university as a lecturer or a job in a multinational cooperation?

It depends. If you are in science or engineering and the MNC is related to same, take the MNC offer. Getting some job experience under your belt is great. In 2-4 years you can then proceed on a PhD and return to lecturing if you so wish. At that point, you would have a built a good network with other professionals and you would be more pragmatic in your approach to lecturing. Our university systems need people with real-world experiences and hands-on approach to academia.

On the other hand, you can take the job in a federal university and get involved with initiatives and external bodies that would help strengthen your knowledge base as you apply academic concepts to solving problems. This way you can build credibility within the system but be careful, it is easy to get stuck in the rot and current ways of doing things, not realising the world is bigger and has more to offer beyond your school system.

My advise- take the MNC offer, explore it, do a Masters/PhD is you so wish and return to Academia if that is where your passion truly is. There is no "one size fits all" for decisions like this.

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Kazrem(m): 7:21am On Apr 24, 2016
Blackkie:
If you need ''just'' the money MNC is the way to go.

But if you need a career and make an impact that will be felt, lecturing will be fine for you.
The funny thing is that due to the ''denial'' nature of many civil servants in Nigeria, many of our citizens are not aware of how juicy lecturing job is.
I know many lecturers go home with above N500,000 monthly, you work lesser hours and enjoy all holidays to the fullest. Getting grants for research and travelling around the world on the bill of government and donor agencies is at your disposal if you want.
Not only that, the exposure you get being a lecturer is far beyond what you get from MNC.

Many university dons have gone ahead to become commissioners, ministers, governors and heads of states, those from MNC who have hit this mark are fewer.
Very correct. By special grace of God, I will be one.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by dnapstar(m): 7:42am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:
From what I read, bro go and lecture.
In a federal university you can be paid at least 200k including as allowee.
Students will want you to favor them with marks to pass, that's another Money. lets say 100 students want you to pass them at 3k each x 100= 300k. that's bonus for just one semester.
what a lame analysis.
so it is now a norm for students to pay and pass?? No wonder most graduates are considered unemployable, because all they had to pay was 3k to pass. FAVOR FEE indeed.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by playtheblues(f): 7:43am On Apr 24, 2016
The later.

Akdegreat:
Hello nairalanders,
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by dnapstar(m): 7:44am On Apr 24, 2016
Kobicove:

I can't believe you actually made this suggestion about charging students money in order to pass them during exams!!!
Corruption is indeed running free in Nigeria!
it was a very stupid n lame suggestion. what has become of our society. people now consider exploiting students as a source of income.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by akanbiaa(m): 7:49am On Apr 24, 2016
EazyMoh:
Guy I take God beg you! whichever you chose, dash me the second option slot.
You get first class and did you study same dicipline?
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by akanbiaa(m): 7:50am On Apr 24, 2016
dnapstar:

it was a very stupid n lame suggestion. what has become of our society. people now consider exploiting students as a source of income.
Most cases its the students that even make offers.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Hassy4(f): 7:58am On Apr 24, 2016
I prefer lecturing.... The job I encourage every married woman is a lecturing job, she will have time for her self, work and family cool

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by armadeo(m): 8:03am On Apr 24, 2016
How did this old thread get ressurected on from page.

Lol. Nairaland. Nothing in board??
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by DrHighchief(m): 8:04am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:
Students will want you to favor them with marks to pass, that's another Money. lets say 100 students want you to pass them at 3k each x 100= 300k. that's bonus for just one semester.
Are u encouraging sorting? Pls it is wrong to collect money from students to pass courses/exams. Pls don't encourage it.
God Bless Nigeria....
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by ayusco85(m): 8:08am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:

Buhari must hear this. This is corruption
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by MathsChic(f): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:

are you kidding with this? shocked This is not good.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Kaira333: 8:15am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:
what are you saying? U mean u are supporting sorting? Smh! Very soon u will come here and start ranting pmb, Gej and saraki are corrupt. It's a pity
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Sigo86(m): 8:18am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:

Corruption grin
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Onyitina(f): 8:24am On Apr 24, 2016
Well. It depends on which is more stable for u... WHAT ABOUT FEDERAL ELECTORAL JOB VERSES CONTRACT JOB IN SHELL?
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by otokx(m): 8:25am On Apr 24, 2016
Professors of 7 years with 25 years PhD don't earn more than 405k per month.

Lecturing is more of service to humanity so anybody thinking of financial gains should look elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by abdulwastecx(m): 8:26am On Apr 24, 2016
Akdegreat:
Hello nairalanders,

I am a first class civil engineering graduate from a federal University and I prefer challenging task that will make me a billionaire in future.

Lecturing job is not that lucrative, I have money of them as friend and mentor who has been in the system for years while in the University.

My preference for the private sector is that it pays big time when you are very hard working, you can easily make it big without cutting corners by developing genuine products that people need.

3 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Mayflowa(m): 8:30am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:

You are not serious! Is that why you wanna be lecturer?
You are not good at all. I am a lecturer. This should be grossly discouraged! I understand it is most common in eastern universities.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by obaao(m): 8:30am On Apr 24, 2016
In this secular world, there are 2 aims: Money or Career. If your aim is to make money like N1Million in a month (this is real), you can opt for MNC but you might be on the same level for a long time due to discrimination and mgt's discretion and finally be shown the way out. If your interest is career, go for lecturing and professorship will be your limit without any discrimination and you will still have time for personal business which will eventually bring the money.
The choice is all yours.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Mayflowa(m): 8:34am On Apr 24, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am a first class civil engineering graduate from a federal University and I prefer challenging task that will make me a billionaire in future.

Lecturing job is not that lucrative, I have money of them as friend and mentor who has been in the system for years while in the University.

My preference for the private sector is that it pays big time when you are very hard working, you can easily make it big without cutting corners by developing genuine products that people need.

You can't be a billionaire by being an employee. You can't even be a multimillionaire until you are close to retirement. Only entrepreneurs become so.

If there exist any chance of you developing useful products, it is in lecturing and research. Who told u lecturers are not reach? Meet me to tutor u.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by abdulwastecx(m): 8:36am On Apr 24, 2016
Princeojua:

Then you are been misinformed :
The position he/she may likely get will be graduate assistance (another name for boy boy), as a graduate assistance you will be running errands for senior lectures and professors, you will help them mark script, supervises exams and test etc.
It will take you three years plus before you are allowed to lectured and you will be helping senior lectures to take off some credit load off their lazy ass. Before you get to that position where you can take bribe, you will be like 15years into the system and in some federal University, if you caught that is the end

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Onyitina(f): 8:36am On Apr 24, 2016
@obaao,otokx....others.... fed electoral job or shell contract job..which will u take?
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by Mayflowa(m): 8:37am On Apr 24, 2016
otokx:
Professors of 7 years with 25 years PhD don't earn more than 405k per month.

Lecturing is more of service to humanity so anybody thinking of financial gains should look elsewhere.

You don't understand the work of a professor. A professor that wait for salary shouldn't be a professor in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by abdulwastecx(m): 8:41am On Apr 24, 2016
Mayflowa:

You can't be a billionaire by being an employee. You can't even be a multimillionaire until you are close to retirement. Only entrepreneurs become so.

If there exist any chance of you developing useful products, it is in lecturing and research. Who told u lecturers are not reach? Meet me to tutor u.

That is why I am not an employee but an employer of labour.

You only developed yourself by taking up challenging task, Nigeria educational system don't encourage research or development of critical product, all we do is copy and recycling of old papers.

Lecturers are poor on an average the few rich ones are either politicians or vice Chancellor
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by EazyMoh(m): 8:59am On Apr 24, 2016
akanbiaa:
You get first class and did you study same dicipline?
I get 3.77/5.00 CGPA B.Eng chemical engineering.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by otokx(m): 9:20am On Apr 24, 2016
Mayflowa:

You don't understand the work of a professor. A professor that wait for salary shouldn't be a professor in the first place.

In Nigeria, professors live on their salaries, don't use European culture to assess Nigerian ways that is where you will miss it.

Those professors that live on their salaries are the best of the lot, the others you see living large have started hobnobbing with the political class and have left their basic responsibilities for graduate assistants who are over whelmed.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by otokx(m): 9:22am On Apr 24, 2016
abdulwastecx:

That is why I am not an employee but an employer of labour.

You only developed yourself by taking up challenges task, Nigeria educational system don't encourage research or development of critical product, all we do is copy and recycling of old papers.

Lecturers are poor on an average the few rich ones are either politicians or vice Chancellor

Don't mind mayflowa, he is probably not conversant with the real Nigeria.
Re: Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? by ffrreeee(f): 9:41am On Apr 24, 2016
If you have passion for teaching, go for lecturing, mind you the pay isn't what most people think, as a first degree holder, your salary cannot be up to 150k. You have to be prepared to read like a student, because you must deliver to your students. Then you use most of your money for publications and furthering your studies. As a young lecturer, you may not have much free time, because your HOD may choke you with a lot of responsibilities. Don't expect or even ask for gifts from students, because it can implicate you. But all the same, the prestige is there, respect from your students and it pays at the long run especially when you have your PhD and you are entitled to 3months leave every year, although most lecturers don't have time to go every year, but they can combine so many leaves to go for sabbatical in another school which pays a lot

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South African Senior Military Officer Dismissed Over Social Media Comment / Does Your Income Seem Insufficient? Here’s How You Can Boost It / My Chinese Boss Keeps Making About 40% Deductions From My Salary. I Need Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.