Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,267 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC (9442 Views)

NCBL Proposes Law For Africans To Reclaim Africa's Natural Wealth / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 2:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
[b]Ethiopia successfully fought for the return of one of its national religious treasure, the Axum Obelisk.

The 1,700-year old stone obelisk looted by Italy nearly 70 years ago arrived in Addis Ababa last month to a rapturous welcome.

Thousands of people lined the streets to see what they consider an important symbol of their identity restored to them.

Two years ago a German museum handed back to Zimbabwe a soapstone carved bird after 100 years.

The Zimbabwe bird is an emblem of the country, appearing on the national flag and currency.

The Ethiopian Obelisk and the Zimbabwe bird are just two of the many traditional and sacred objects that vanished from Africa and ended up in museums, learning institutions or private homes abroad during the colonial era.

The BBC's Africa Live asks: How important are historic artefacts to your sense of identity?

What should your government do to reclaim your country's lost treasures?

Or should we stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present?[/b]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4544803.stm

3 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by thelastmediator: 3:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
This shouldn't be a question to be answered by Africans, if the Europeans have any iota of integrity left in them and truly regret their past actions , they should return all the things they stole from Africa. Atleast the accountable ones. My take

14 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
You can't possibly steal something that's worthless and useless can you?. undecided

So this alone speaks that the artefacts are immersely important and precious. As such, they should be reclaim!

4 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 12:25am On Jul 08, 2014
Ceasar1: You can't possibly steal something that's worthless and useless can you?. undecided
So this alone speaks that the artefacts are immersely important and precious. As such, they should be reclaim!

thelastmediator: This shouldn't be a question to be answered by Africans, if the Europeans have any iota of integrity left in them and truly regret their past actions , they should return all the things to stole from Africa. Atleast the accountable ones. My take

I agree, the question is will Africans appreciate it and maintain it or will the sell it to the highest bidder

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by thelastmediator: 10:47am On Jul 08, 2014
anonymous6:

I agree, the question is will Africans appreciate it and maintain it or will the sell it to the highest bidder

Our ability or inability to maintain it shouldn't be an excuse. If the artefacts were not preserved by our fore fathers, there wouldn't be anything for them to steal in the first place. They should return the stuffs, then if our government decides to monetise some of them after consulting the appropriate sources, so be it. In that case, it will be clear to the world that they acquire it through the right medium.

4 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 6:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
thelastmediator:
Our ability or inability to maintain it shouldn't be an excuse. If the artefacts were not preserved by our fore fathers, there wouldn't be anything for them to steal in the first place. They should return the stuffs, then if our government decides to monetise some of them after consulting the appropriate sources, so be it. In that case, it will be clear to the world that they acquire it through the right medium.

ok makes sense which i do side with but there is a debate by some africans if africa would be able to maintain it. In my opinion I think Africans should get these back but it is a good thing to wonder about
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Smartsyn(m): 5:38am On Jul 09, 2014
anonymous6:

And they are still seeing us as those timid people they met then, to be asking that kind of question. They should just return it,it's ours and we do whatever we like with it.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by campusflavour: 5:49am On Jul 09, 2014
Abeg make them whole am, all our past juju status wey dem carry,some even dey my village wey dey find who go come dey worship and serve am, if them come return them, who go come the feed n serve all of them now
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Sheenor: 5:50am On Jul 09, 2014
Smartsyn: And they are still seeing us as those timid people they met then, to be asking that kind of question. They should just return it,it's ours and we do whatever we like with it.
agree with you.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 5:55am On Jul 09, 2014
This position is quite wrong. Althought those artifacts were made in africa, they do not belong to only africa. They belong to the world as they are now part of world history. Especially where the study of art history is concerned. Take for instance the benin bronzes. If they are returned to nigeria, the royal court of benin will claim them and lock them away, like their fore fathers did in the past. Those benin artifacts were created by slaves, who till today, are forbidden to own any. So bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again. So, i painfully think its better the artifacts remain where they are becos we cant handle them. We dont even have facilities to preserve precious works of art.

Smartsyn: And they are still seeing us as those timid people they met then, to be asking that kind of question. They should just return it,it's ours and we do whatever we like with it.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by TerryCarr(m): 5:56am On Jul 09, 2014
A blessing in disguise to have them having them in Europe because they have more exposure to the world in Europe because not many people go to Africa to see history unless it's in Egypt, they go there to see the lions tongue plus you don't want them being destroy by boko haram like a lot of stuff was in Mali by Islamist cry
imagine boko haram breaking these things because they are unIslamic

[img]http://www.varldskulturmuseerna.se/files/varldskulturmuseerna/Pressrum/2013/Afrikanska%20m%C3%A4sterverk/Afrikanska%20m%C3%A4sterverk%20pressbild%202.jpg[/img]

6 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by sohl7(m): 5:59am On Jul 09, 2014
ThankGod they know that they stole.so why cant they humbly return it ?
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by NSNA: 6:00am On Jul 09, 2014
I remember my first trip to the British museum, i was surprised to see so much stuff. When i got to the Benin section it was fascinating.

I don't think they should be returned. They get more exposure and well presented in various museums... infact countries should exchange this things with each other.

Original article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4544803.stm

The BBC's Africa Live asks: How important are historic artefacts to your sense of identity?

Or should we stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present?

Send us your comments using the form on the right - a selection of which will be published below.

And you can join the debate on the BBC Africa Live on Wednesday 18 May at 1630GMT and 1830GMT.

Museums are fun to visit when all the other elements of a quality life are firmly in place.
Ed Magana, USA
With so many survival issues to contend with, Africa really has little time to preserve and maintain her historic treasures. Leaving them where they are ensures a reminder to the West that we are alive and well and have a rich history. How many African budgets can truly be devoted to maintaining such elements of art. Can we really trust our insecure and corrupt governments to provide the necessary protection? Our immediate priority should be fighting poverty. We still lack basic stuff like food, medical facilities, good roads, jobs, good education and security. Museums are fun to visit when all the other elements of a quality life are firmly in place.
Ed Magana, USA

We Africans, especially Ethiopians, must think about the present not our past history. Everybody in the world knows Ethiopians and their famine problem. If Ethiopian government left the Axum obelisk in Rome, the Italians would always remember us and feel ashamed. After all, we beat them. The obelisk should have remained in Italy rather than bringing it here where there is no good care of treasure.
Henok, Ethiopia

Culture, civilisation and history have demographic implications. They set distinct identity and shape culture. An artefact being a derivative of a particular culture, enriches that particular culture. In some cases when the artefact attains a global fame it transcends its regional boundary.
Fantahun A Worku, USA

To see a historical and priceless artifact in a country other than its origin, displayed for view to the people of that country is an implication of an act of plunder or acquisition that occurred in the past and is still acknowledged in the present.
Abdulhussain Haamid, Skellefteå, Sweden

Why must Africans divert their attention to something less meaningful?
King Anderson Emmy Snr.
I do not understand what the fuss is all about stolen treasures. Why must Africans divert their attention to something less meaningful? We must focus on development and civilisation even if those things were returned and we lack the means to protect or maintain them they will still get lost again may be this time never to be seen again.
King Anderson Emmy Snr.

For me it is very hard to understand why some countries keep these African treasures. Is it to remind themselves that they were dominant or had a hidden intent over future colonisation? Italy gave up the Axum Obelisk not because it liked to do that but the monument had been more of embarrassment over their defeat by the Ethiopians in Adowa. Had the Italians been victorious over Ethiopia in their colonisation attempt, they would have made the obelisk part of the Mussoloni's tomb.
Mesfin, USA

Walking through the Louvre museum in Paris, I was amazed at the beauty of its collection, some of which was brought to France by enterprising individuals such as Napoleon. Do these artifacts now belong to the French government? Have the French succeeded in gaining the permission of modern nations for keeping these artifacts?
Andrea, Canada

Look how Britain is guarding Kohinoor diamond. If it was in India, it would have long gone underground and would be in the possession of a rich and uncaring antiques collector.
Shantanu, India

Would the artefacts have survived if not removed from Africa?
LB, Australia
Two factors need to be articulated in this question: Would the artefacts have survived if not removed from Africa? And with the corruption and poverty, would most of Africa afford to keep delicate items secure? Perhaps the answer is yes, but for now, maybe the world's museums should be "caretakers" for Africa. At least the art works are safe, secure and under significant lock and key.
LB, Australia

Why is the world becoming so politically correct ? Personally I feel that the more developed countries should keep the treasures in trust until African countries can prove they can look after themselves, otherwise they'll be at risk of destruction and everyone in the world would loose out.
Mark Smith, New Zealand

It infuriates me when people take Africans for fools. There is a saying that Africa is the cradle of civilisation, yet we have nothing to show or proof for it. The legacies that our forefathers left us were stolen. We walk around blind because we do not remember where we came from so we have no idea where we are going.
Uti, USA

One must consider where these objects can be best viewed by the maximum number of people.
Dave Jones, UK
Perhaps we should give back some of the treasures which were taken. It needs to be done carefully though, for the following reasons: Do you in Africa have modern secure museums to display these artifacts? These things are important cultural objects for all humanity and not just for one culture - one must consider where these objects can be best viewed by the maximum number of people. Aren't you opening a pandora's box here - should the Louvre museum in France give back the Mona Lisa painted by an Italian? By having these objects in other countries it enables them to see and develop an interest in other cultures - which should promote greater understanding in the world.
Dave Jones, UK

Africa is like a continent with no history because a lot has been stolen, we need to give them back. It's difficult to identify all stolen treasures but we can give back through Development Aid. There has been a lot of untold miseries the West have done to Africa e.g. slavery and colonialism.
Kenneth Kachimanga, Denmark

I believe the right thing to do is to return the "stolen" goods. Having said that, I believe that such historical artefacts and heritage must be preserved for subsequent generations to appreciate, so it is incumbent that the rightful owners have a system in place so that the items can be well-cared-for. Just asking for the items back and then "losing" them again would just be unfair.
Salman A, Asian from Africa living in UK

For now I think that these treasures should remain in the care of the West.
Larry, USA
Yes, Africa should get their treasures back but only after most African nations improve their governments and economies. Look what happened after the Iraqi liberation, thousands of priceless antiques were looted or destroyed. So for now I think that these treasures should remain in the care of the West.
Larry, USA

We the people of Africa, of all the things, need our conscience back. Our continent was robbed and raped in broad daylight by the Western imperialists on a massive proportion. They stole away from us not only our treasures but also our very own spirit, our roots and identity as as a people. Our heritage is indispensable, and there is no price tag to assign it. We ask back what is rightfully ours!
Michael Kimpur, Kenyan in USA

We wouldn't have known the value of these things if they weren't taken away. How well are Africans taking care of the ones not stolen from them? Go to historical places and our museums and you will have the answer!
Siegfried Gbadago, Ghana

The current rulers of Africa have proven that they are incapable of even feeding and providing the most basic forms of education for their poor. Why should historical treasures be placed under the responsibility of individuals who have proved time and again how unfit they are to govern?
Neil, UK

We should stop dwelling on the past no matter how treasured it may be, particularly in the current computer age! Today, Africa is engulfed with problems of all kinds and our deepest concern should and must be how best the West can come to the aid of the Africans to fight these problems.
Joe Noutoua Wandah, A Liberian in Ghana

Many African artefacts and treasures are symbols of Africa's rich heritage and traditions and cultures. British and France are the leading looters of many Africa heritage symbols and treasures. African governments should go after their stolen treasures in many European museums and advocate for their return.
Yussuf Dayib Ali, Kenya

Having seen the terrible state of many museums in India, and since we are talking about African States with their problems of instability and corruption, just like India, it's highly debatable whether there would be any benefit of returning these items. There is a chance they would just be stolen, lost or damaged.
Jai Singh, UK

We should stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present.
Darius Ndyomugyenyi, Uganda
Both physical and mental treasures were stolen from our beautiful continent Africa. However, we should stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present. Governments should start implementing their developmental talking by using what was left and is available.

Though I would like to see artifacts return to Africa, I would say there must be re-assurances that they would be properly taken care of. Look at Egypt, its museum is almost falling apart due to lack of funding and refuses the aid of any Western influence.
Alexander Winchester, UK

It is about time that the looters start a move in returning whatever they looted to whom they belong. The cost of returning those treasures should be borne by those who illegally acquired them.
Berhe, UK

On this point I would go further to say that the countries that have stolen these treasures should also be liable to pay damages for the loss of revenue as a result of these items being absent from the countries of origin, and this could go towards ensuring the artefacts are taken good care of.
Nana Kwansah, London, UK

In as much as we need our treasurers for our identity we may as well look at the resources needed to bring these artefacts back home. We may need to use those resources for national development. Africa has a lot of issues that need to be addressed first before we reclaim what is ours. The foreign exchange used to bring the Obelisk to Addis Ababa could have been used to feed many hungry Africans.
Jamaica Tongowona, Zimbabwe
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by gbaskiboy: 6:00am On Jul 09, 2014
yes absolutely agree with you OP, our abducted girls are golden treasure we need them back. If u can go to Sambisa in Borno to reclaim them back, it would be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 6:05am On Jul 09, 2014
If a man cannot properly take care of himself and loses his children, will you return his children to him without asking him how he hopes to forestall further incidences? I dont think so. These artifacts are just as african as the piramids. We are africans but the american illuminati have more claims to the piramyds than egyptians (lol). Art is all about cultural evolution. And cultural evolution is a world oriented subject. For example the nethandal was found in europe, but it signified the birthplace of man, thus does not belong to any country and thus resides in the united states.

thelastmediator:

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by IdomaLikita: 6:07am On Jul 09, 2014
If the Treasures are returned by the Europeans, they'll find their way to Chinese Museums! Make them hold am first until Africa get Serious institutions!

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by TerryCarr(m): 6:07am On Jul 09, 2014
skillet: This position is quite wrong. Althought those artifacts were made in africa, they do not belong to only africa. They belong to the world as they are now part of world history. Especially where the study of art history is concerned. Take for instance the benin bronzes. If they are returned to nigeria, the royal court of benin will claim them and lock them away, like their fore fathers did in the past. Those benin artifacts were created by slaves, who till today, are forbidden to own any. So bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again. So, i painfully think its better the artifacts remain where they are becos we cant handle them. We dont even have facilities to preserve precious works of art.

made by slaves my a$$. they will most likely end up in a museum and what do you my by "bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again"?
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by coolzeal(m): 6:27am On Jul 09, 2014
Yes of course though on the contrary the destruction of cultures and traditions has be done. Please note; it was not lost but stolen by the European. The British Museum is no more than a thieves’ kitchen of plundered African history and treasures and a continual colonial power over African culture. That is our history you see there in the museum. That is our culture. Is it any wonder that Africa is the state it is in when our history and culture is on display thousands of miles away in the centre of London?

But I don’t even blame the British Museum for hanging on to it. There has been no concerted effort beyond African countries begging to have their artefacts returned, but who is going to give a profile to the Nigerian government’s requests. If some of those big stars of Hollywood were to get together and demand the return of African history to where it rightfully belongs (and don’t forget these artefacts were pilfered, robbed, stolen) we could see some action.

When he wins his Oscar next week Chiwetel Ejiofor needs to stand up on the podium and demand that those artefacts are returned. I know he will have to thank quite a few people and, of course, his mum too for all her support. But after that, Chiwitel, why not demand that the British Museum gives our people back what is rightfully ours?

And not just Chiwetel alone. It would be good if we could hear the likes of Will Smith, Samuel L. Jackson, Oprah Winfrey and all the top supes from Hollywood stand up strong and demand the return of those artefacts. It could trigger a worldwide movement.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by felixchip(m): 6:44am On Jul 09, 2014
NSNA: I remember my first trip to the British museum, i was surprised to see so much stuff. When i got to the Benin section it was fascinating.

I don't think they should be returned. They get more exposure and well presented in various museums... infact countries should exchange this things with each other.

Original article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4544803.stm

Or should we stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present?

Send us your comments using the form on the right - a selection of which will be published below.

And you can join the debate on the BBC Africa Live on Wednesday 18 May at 1630GMT and 1830GMT.

Museums are fun to visit when all the other elements of a quality life are firmly in place.
Ed Magana, USA
With so many survival issues to contend with, Africa really has little time to preserve and maintain her historic treasures. Leaving them where they are ensures a reminder to the West that we are alive and well and have a rich history. How many African budgets can truly be devoted to maintaining such elements of art. Can we really trust our insecure and corrupt governments to provide the necessary protection? Our immediate priority should be fighting poverty. We still lack basic stuff like food, medical facilities, good roads, jobs, good education and security. Museums are fun to visit when all the other elements of a quality life are firmly in place.
Ed Magana, USA

We Africans, especially Ethiopians, must think about the present not our past history. Everybody in the world knows Ethiopians and their famine problem. If Ethiopian government left the Axum obelisk in Rome, the Italians would always remember us and feel ashamed. After all, we beat them. The obelisk should have remained in Italy rather than bringing it here where there is no good care of treasure.
Henok, Ethiopia

Culture, civilisation and history have demographic implications. They set distinct identity and shape culture. An artefact being a derivative of a particular culture, enriches that particular culture. In some cases when the artefact attains a global fame it transcends its regional boundary.
Fantahun A Worku, USA

To see a historical and priceless artifact in a country other than its origin, displayed for view to the people of that country is an implication of an act of plunder or acquisition that occurred in the past and is still acknowledged in the present.
Abdulhussain Haamid, Skellefteå, Sweden

Why must Africans divert their attention to something less meaningful?
King Anderson Emmy Snr.
I do not understand what the fuss is all about stolen treasures. Why must Africans divert their attention to something less meaningful? We must focus on development and civilisation even if those things were returned and we lack the means to protect or maintain them they will still get lost again may be this time never to be seen again.
King Anderson Emmy Snr.

For me it is very hard to understand why some countries keep these African treasures. Is it to remind themselves that they were dominant or had a hidden intent over future colonisation? Italy gave up the Axum Obelisk not because it liked to do that but the monument had been more of embarrassment over their defeat by the Ethiopians in Adowa. Had the Italians been victorious over Ethiopia in their colonisation attempt, they would have made the obelisk part of the Mussoloni's tomb.
Mesfin, USA

Walking through the Louvre museum in Paris, I was amazed at the beauty of its collection, some of which was brought to France by enterprising individuals such as Napoleon. Do these artifacts now belong to the French government? Have the French succeeded in gaining the permission of modern nations for keeping these artifacts?
Andrea, Canada

Look how Britain is guarding Kohinoor diamond. If it was in India, it would have long gone underground and would be in the possession of a rich and uncaring antiques collector.
Shantanu, India

Would the artefacts have survived if not removed from Africa?
LB, Australia
Two factors need to be articulated in this question: Would the artefacts have survived if not removed from Africa? And with the corruption and poverty, would most of Africa afford to keep delicate items secure? Perhaps the answer is yes, but for now, maybe the world's museums should be "caretakers" for Africa. At least the art works are safe, secure and under significant lock and key.
LB, Australia

Why is the world becoming so politically correct ? Personally I feel that the more developed countries should keep the treasures in trust until African countries can prove they can look after themselves, otherwise they'll be at risk of destruction and everyone in the world would loose out.
Mark Smith, New Zealand

It infuriates me when people take Africans for fools. There is a saying that Africa is the cradle of civilisation, yet we have nothing to show or proof for it. The legacies that our forefathers left us were stolen. We walk around blind because we do not remember where we came from so we have no idea where we are going.
Uti, USA

One must consider where these objects can be best viewed by the maximum number of people.
Dave Jones, UK
Perhaps we should give back some of the treasures which were taken. It needs to be done carefully though, for the following reasons: Do you in Africa have modern secure museums to display these artifacts? These things are important cultural objects for all humanity and not just for one culture - one must consider where these objects can be best viewed by the maximum number of people. Aren't you opening a pandora's box here - should the Louvre museum in France give back the Mona Lisa painted by an Italian? By having these objects in other countries it enables them to see and develop an interest in other cultures - which should promote greater understanding in the world.
Dave Jones, UK

Africa is like a continent with no history because a lot has been stolen, we need to give them back. It's difficult to identify all stolen treasures but we can give back through Development Aid. There has been a lot of untold miseries the West have done to Africa e.g. slavery and colonialism.
Kenneth Kachimanga, Denmark

I believe the right thing to do is to return the "stolen" goods. Having said that, I believe that such historical artefacts and heritage must be preserved for subsequent generations to appreciate, so it is incumbent that the rightful owners have a system in place so that the items can be well-cared-for. Just asking for the items back and then "losing" them again would just be unfair.
Salman A, Asian from Africa living in UK

For now I think that these treasures should remain in the care of the West.
Larry, USA
Yes, Africa should get their treasures back but only after most African nations improve their governments and economies. Look what happened after the Iraqi liberation, thousands of priceless antiques were looted or destroyed. So for now I think that these treasures should remain in the care of the West.
Larry, USA

We the people of Africa, of all the things, need our conscience back. Our continent was robbed and raped in broad daylight by the Western imperialists on a massive proportion. They stole away from us not only our treasures but also our very own spirit, our roots and identity as as a people. Our heritage is indispensable, and there is no price tag to assign it. We ask back what is rightfully ours!
Michael Kimpur, Kenyan in USA

We wouldn't have known the value of these things if they weren't taken away. How well are Africans taking care of the ones not stolen from them? Go to historical places and our museums and you will have the answer!
Siegfried Gbadago, Ghana

The current rulers of Africa have proven that they are incapable of even feeding and providing the most basic forms of education for their poor. Why should historical treasures be placed under the responsibility of individuals who have proved time and again how unfit they are to govern?
Neil, UK

We should stop dwelling on the past no matter how treasured it may be, particularly in the current computer age! Today, Africa is engulfed with problems of all kinds and our deepest concern should and must be how best the West can come to the aid of the Africans to fight these problems.
Joe Noutoua Wandah, A Liberian in Ghana

Many African artefacts and treasures are symbols of Africa's rich heritage and traditions and cultures. British and France are the leading looters of many Africa heritage symbols and treasures. African governments should go after their stolen treasures in many European museums and advocate for their return.
Yussuf Dayib Ali, Kenya

Having seen the terrible state of many museums in India, and since we are talking about African States with their problems of instability and corruption, just like India, it's highly debatable whether there would be any benefit of returning these items. There is a chance they would just be stolen, lost or damaged.
Jai Singh, UK

We should stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present.
Both physical and mental treasures were stolen from our beautiful continent Africa. However, we should stop dwelling on the past and concentrate on sorting out the problems of the present. Governments should start implementing their developmental talking by using what was left and is available.

Though I would like to see artifacts return to Africa, I would say there must be re-assurances that they would be properly taken care of. Look at Egypt, its museum is almost falling apart due to lack of funding and refuses the aid of any Western influence.
Alexander Winchester, UK

It is about time that the looters start a move in returning whatever they looted to whom they belong. The cost of returning those treasures should be borne by those who illegally acquired them.
Berhe, UK

On this point I would go further to say that the countries that have stolen these treasures should also be liable to pay damages for the loss of revenue as a result of these items being absent from the countries of origin, and this could go towards ensuring the artefacts are taken good care of.
Nana Kwansah, London, UK

In as much as we need our treasurers for our identity we may as well look at the resources needed to bring these artefacts back home. We may need to use those resources for national development. Africa has a lot of issues that need to be addressed first before we reclaim what is ours. The foreign exchange used to bring the Obelisk to Addis Ababa could have been used to feed many hungry Africans.
Jamaica Tongowona, Zimbabwe

Chai! Mini Textbook.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 09, 2014
This issue again.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Mutuwa(m): 8:10am On Jul 09, 2014
thelastmediator: This shouldn't be a question to be answered by Africans, if the Europeans have any iota of integrity left in them and truly regret their past actions , they should return all the things to stole from Africa. Atleast the accountable ones. My take

Seconded..i dunno why the theft in the first place..maybe they thought africans will continue to remain unintelligent about the facts that artifacts were indeed stolen.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 9:17am On Jul 09, 2014
Its simple. To us, those art pieces have fetish relevance. We will begin to worship them again thereby aligning the art form only to religious worship and worshippers.

TerryCarr:
made by slaves my a$$. they will most likely end up in a museum and what do you my by "bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again"?
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Onegai(f): 9:56am On Jul 09, 2014
Okay, so I'm going to have a rant here, because this is my specialty.

No, they shouldn't return it. We don't deserve them.

Almost all the families I know with artefacts keep them under lock and key (mine included). Because Nigerians (Africans and Blacks too) are very backwards, sorry to say this.

Monotheistic Abrahamic religions came to China, Japan, Pacific Islands and Celts and Native American Indians and so much more. None of them went crazy, carried it on their heads and despoiled the works of their ancestors. Like Africans did.

As someone who buys artefacts (for preservation) and works to being a Historical art curator one day, I am ashamed of the Nigerian Gallery of Art and the National Museum. Whom are empty and filled with people who can't tell you an Onabolu from an Dale (both Nigerian). Even the private collectors are accused of being fetish-worshippers for trying to save our history.

If we return them, people will clamour for them to be destroyed because "my pastor said it is stopping my destiny from manifesting" or will sell them off for an ipad or Nokia Lumia. We Nigerians are not even INTERESTED in visiting them (you will see more whites asking me questions about Ife, Bini and Igbo-Ukwu than a Nigerian). So let people who can value this history (which btw is a great tourist attraction and would aid our broken economy) keep them.

And if you are interested in seeing a huge collection of them, please contact me. Or better yet, contact OYASAF.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 09, 2014
Ofcourse! They were never freely given. They were obtained through con means or outrightly stolen.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Rossikki: 10:40am On Jul 09, 2014
Onegai: Okay, so I'm going to have a rant here, because this is my specialty.

Almost all the families I know with artefacts keep them under lock and key (mine included). Because Nigerians (Africans and Blacks too) are very backwards, sorry to say this.

Monotheistic Abrahamic religions came to China, Japan, Pacific Islands and Celts and Native American Indians and so much more. None of them went crazy, carried it on their heads and despoiled the works of their ancestors. Like Africans did.

As someone who buys artefacts (for preservation) and works to being a Historical art curator one day, I am ashamed of the Nigerian Gallery of Art and the National Museum. Whom are empty and filled with people who can't tell you an Onabolu from an Dale (both Nigerian). Even the private collectors are accused of being fetish-worshippers for trying to save our history.

If we return them, people will clamour for them to be destroyed because "my pastor said it is stopping my destiny from manifesting" or will sell them off for an ipad or Nokia Lumia. We Nigerians are not even INTERESTED in visiting them (you will see more whites asking me questions about Ife, Bini and Igbo-Ukwu than a Nigerian). So let people who can value this history (which btw is a great tourist attraction and would aid our broken economy) keep them.

And if you are interested in seeing a huge collection of them, please contact me. Or better yet, contact OYASAF.

You're another self-hating idio.t filled with inferiority complex. Your training is a total waste if this is the unimaginative garbage you can come out with. And do keep your racist ''blacks, Africans are backward'' rubbish to your fellow dumb white assss kissers. Stup.id goat. Someone that has common sense and intelligence would suggest ways of returning the artefacts and protecting them, by ensuring they are handled by experts or dedicated professionals, but not Miss Inferior who says ''Just let the whites have them''. Thoughtless DUNCE.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by thelastmediator: 10:42am On Jul 09, 2014
[/quote]
Onegai: Okay, so I'm going to have a rant here, because this is my specialty.
skillet: If a man cannot properly take care of himself and loses his children, will you return his children to him without asking him how he hopes to forestall further incidences? I dont think so. These artifacts are just as african as the piramids. We are africans but the american illuminati have more claims to the piramyds than egyptians (lol). Art is all about cultural evolution. And cultural evolution is a world oriented subject. For example the nethandal was found in europe, but it signified the birthplace of man, thus does not belong to any country and thus resides in the united states.

@Onegai, Going by the reasons you gave up there which to some extent made a lot of sense, what do we (Africans) the rightful owner stand to gain by letting it remain with the people that acquire them Illegally? Don't you think a fraction of what is made from keeping the artefacts should go to the home country?

@skillet, The comparison you made up there doesn't apply to this situation. I guess it's easier relocating freed slaves to Sierra Leone because they will be more of burden than benefit
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by ddeola: 10:53am On Jul 09, 2014
You have said it all...STOLEN. Now that they admit that it was stolen, make them return am.

I know guys wey die mysteriously for stealing their family "stuff". Who knows, these "stolen items" may be the cause of their woes wey dem never discover !
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 09, 2014
Rossikki:

You're another self-hating idio.t filled with inferiority complex. Your training is a total waste if this is the unimaginative garbage you can come out with. And do keep your racist ''blacks, Africans are backward'' rubbish to your fellow dumb white assss kissers. Stup.id goat. Someone that has common sense and intelligence would suggest ways of returning the artefacts and protecting them, by ensuring they are handled by experts or dedicated professionals, but not Miss Inferior who says ''Just let the whites have them''. Thoughtless DUNCE.

You are insulting her because you're blinded by your hate for white men. She definitely said some hurtful truth, why don't you debunk her points by providing facts in numbers, history, research or whatever.

You didn't suggest ways the artifacts could be protected in Nigeria either, your are even more thoughtless and dumb.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 09, 2014
reclaim what?!! how many adults and children have a clutch on Africa's History.. oh dear I remember. History has been removed from our School Curriculum. Many Senators cannot recite the National Anthem and the only History children even remember is of Davido or Justin Bieber. (BLACK) Africa has only shreds of Culture and History and it is not even protected or nurtured for future generations... so what exactly are we talking about.. foreigners know much about Africa and our culture than Africans angry

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 09, 2014
Rossikki:

@Rossikki.. you are well I see.. not even the Boko-Haram or Chibok rants have gotten you off your be-labored camel. grin grin grin

But say which other artefacts do you recall Nigeria has protected and kept in good condition for our future generations.. last i heard the National Films Office lost Historical Reels of Pre-independence Nigeria and post to a fire.. and most have been destroyed by mold and mites grin grin but it is good to see some right-thinking person is suggesting it.. 50+years after

(1) (2) (Reply)

Le Cercle Francais De Nairaland! / Cultural/traditional Festivals In Nigeria / Youths Chase-Away King For Shunning Traditional Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.