Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' (69353 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 4:20pm On Nov 05, 2011
BBC Does A Documentary On The "bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King" Of Nigeria

PART 1
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4n28-JuCU&feature=related[/flash]

PART 2
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_KeN2I_kQ&feature=related[/flash]

PART 3
[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTNaR_tCdbs&feature=related[/flash]

Ife?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ife

Another thread of Yoruba art and architecture

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-770881.0.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 7:10pm On Nov 05, 2011
Ye nice video. We should be proud of our culture grin

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 7:14pm On Nov 05, 2011
Rgp92:

Ye nice video. We should be proud of our culture  grin

I agree, I know I am proud of my culture & when I saw this documentary from BBC I had to post it, to show people how great our cultures was in the ancient times & still is

The Ife Head

http://www.creativetourist.com/features/inspired-by-the-ife-head

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 7:40pm On Nov 05, 2011
Very beautiful art. Made by Yoruba! We really are special to Africa grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 7:42pm On Nov 05, 2011
Obatala really blessed us with knowledge cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 9:57pm On Nov 05, 2011
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 10:41pm On Nov 05, 2011

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 12:18am On Nov 06, 2011
amazing

the yorubas first made bronze cast 900 yrs ago and taught the Benin empire.

cool kinda nice to be yoruba Omo baban tawa it ko fi goldi sere, Awa oni gba owo oni gbo de. Oti de

That is Proper Awori song for u all. Omo Awori ni mi o Oluwa a da gbo gbo gbo wa awa Omo Yoruba O !!! cool

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 12:20am On Nov 06, 2011
did you hear that? they were discovered by chance. I bet alot more is hidden, waiting to be found. Cant wait for that day they find yoruba writing system cheesy
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by meonbooty: 12:32am On Nov 06, 2011
^^^

Yoruba writing system already found.

Video is old news.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 12:36am On Nov 06, 2011
Rgp92:

did you hear that? they were discovered by chance. I bet alot more is hidden, waiting to be found. Cant wait for that day they find yoruba writing system cheesy

writing system was found since

certainly not by chance but by ise Oluwa cool
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 12:39am On Nov 06, 2011
meonbooty:

^^^

Yoruba writing system already found.

Video is old news.

what?? can you provide link please? I mean prelatin Alphabet
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 12:43am On Nov 06, 2011
Rgp92:

what?? can you provide link please? I mean prelatin Alphabet

was it not Ajayi Crowther
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by meonbooty: 12:44am On Nov 06, 2011
alj_harem:

was it not Ajayi Crowther

What are you talking about?

Ajayi Crowther ko, Alj Harem ni

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 12:47am On Nov 06, 2011
Before latin Alphabet, yoruba used Arabic alphabet. Anyone know what they used before it?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 12:47am On Nov 06, 2011
meonbooty:

lol who was it then ?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 12:52am On Nov 06, 2011
Rgp92:

Before latin Alphabet, yoruba used Arabic alphabet. Anyone know what they used before it?

i rather say iton stories, and a form of incitations that tells stories as well

can't think of any other. but i would research to find out
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 12:54am On Nov 06, 2011
meonbooty:

Yoruba is one of the four official languages of Nigeria and is a member of the Niger-Congo family of languages. It is spoken by about 22 million people in southwest Nigeria, Benin, Togo, the UK, Brazil and the USA.

Yoruba first appeared in writing during the 19th century. The first Yoruba publications were a number of teaching booklets produced by John Raban in 1830-2. The person who made the biggest contribution to Yoruba literacy was Bishop Ajayi (Samual) Crowther (1806-1891), who studied many of the languages of Nigeria, including Yoruba, and wrote and translated in some of them. Crowther was also the first Christian bishop of West African origin. A Yoruba orthography appeared in about 1850, though it has undergone a number of changes since then.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/yoruba.htm
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 12:56am On Nov 06, 2011
alj_harem:

i rather say iton stories, and a form of incitations that tells stories as well

can't think of any other. but i would research to find out

Im 99% sure yoruba had some kind of writing form. Dont forget about babalawo school, and all the spell they must memorised. They probably had some writing form and forgotten today.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by aljharem3: 1:01am On Nov 06, 2011
Rgp92:

Im 99% sure yoruba had some kind of writing form. Dont forget about babalawo school, and all the spell they must memorised. They probably had some writing form and forgotten today.

sooooooo true, I never thought of that you know

Those babalawos had so much portions and incitations in there head, so so much there no way you could have learnt that from just words. I least you would need to be passing so rare portion mix by a written form or something.

Anyway, what a nice video, I must add cool
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 9:40pm On Nov 06, 2011
Didn't the Yoruba had a writing system before being carried away into captivity, before migration, and before the introduction of Ajami?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by meonbooty: 10:26pm On Nov 06, 2011
alj_harem:

Yoruba is one of the four official languages of Nigeria and is a member of the Niger-Congo family of languages. It is spoken by about 22 million people in southwest Nigeria, Benin, Togo, the UK, Brazil and the USA.

Yoruba first appeared in writing during the 19th century. The first Yoruba publications were a number of teaching booklets produced by John Raban in 1830-2. The person who made the biggest contribution to Yoruba literacy was Bishop Ajayi (Samual) Crowther (1806-1891), who studied many of the languages of Nigeria, including Yoruba, and wrote and translated in some of them. Crowther was also the first Christian bishop of West African origin. A Yoruba orthography appeared in about 1850, though it has undergone a number of changes since then.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/yoruba.htm

http://www.smi.uib.no/sa/14/14Ogunbiyi.pdf
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 12:28am On Nov 07, 2011
meonbooty:

http://www.smi.uib.no/sa/14/14Ogunbiyi.pdf

Dude, do you live in Norway? :O
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by meonbooty: 2:19am On Nov 07, 2011
Rgp92:

Dude, do you live in Norway? :O

Why?

You wanna come rob me?

Thats why I dont like hanging with Nigerians. They'd rob you if they could

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 07, 2011
and the white terrorists keep telling the black slaves their history,

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Rgp92: 1:02pm On Nov 07, 2011
meonbooty:

Why?

You wanna come rob me?

I live in Norway too, i got enough money grin grin Bor du i Norge? probably not
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 1:03pm On Nov 07, 2011
meonbooty:

well this is nairaland, and majority in this forum are Nigerian. So if don't like hanging with Nigerians then this is not the place for you
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by room702(m): 2:40pm On Nov 07, 2011
i am from Ile-Ife and i am proud of my home town
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by youngmyma: 4:31pm On Nov 07, 2011
anonymous6:

well this is nairaland, and majority in this forum are Nigerian. So if don't like hanging with Nigerians then this is not the place for you
simple
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by Kenneylee(m): 5:09pm On Nov 07, 2011
meonbooty:

Why?

You wanna come rob me?

. You can imagine how some 'people' dey reason?!! Askin whr Ʊ live! And d only possible thing dt could come to uя head is they want to rob you?!! Whc money abi weytin Ʊ get wey dey too special dt nobody has?!! *phew*
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by okeyxyz(m): 6:06pm On Nov 07, 2011
MEHN!!!, this has got to b the best re-education i've had this year. such beautiful history can only evoke a sense of pride regarding one's origins, that we had some ancient value that can stand shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the esteemed ancients. very impressive.

i just hope some chauvanistic 1d10ts will not tribalize this into "yoruba this & yoruba that, blah blah blah"
it's funny that it had to take oyibo's ,documentary to tell us about our history. oyibo is making all effort to uncover knowlege while we are doing our utmost best to distance ourselves from our history & knowlege of old, saying they are demonic ways that should be destroyed & never remembered.

thanks to the OP for posting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos) / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.