Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". (3354 Views)

Sunday Oliseh Strikes Pose With His Boys After Today's Training Session In Abuja / The Rise And Rise Of Asisat Oshoala (pics) / Which Of The John Mikel Obi Plays For Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
In 2009 a little known John Obu was saddled with the responsibility of handling the Golden Eaglets @ the 2009 U17 WC hosted by Nigeria.
The following notable players were part of that electrifying team:
Kenneth Omeruo
Ramon Azeez (captain)
Ogenyi Onazi
Michael Olaitan
Edafe Egbedi
Abdul Ajagun
Sani Emmanuel
Olanrewaju Kayode
Stanley Okoro
Omo Ojabu

Some of us can recall their heroic come back in the opening game against Germany from 3 -0 to draw 3-3. They later went all the way to the final beating d Spanish side 3-1 in semis before losing 1-0 to a highly defensive Swiss side in the final. The eaglets were ajudged by pundits to b d best team of that tournament.

Two years later at the U20 WC in Colombia John Obu was in charge again. He included notable players to the squad such as: Uche Nwofor (then in Enugu Rangers) and Ahmed Musa( then just left Kano pillars for VV Venlo after being d NPL top scorer).O that attack was rampaging. Scoring 12goals in our group matches beating Saudi Arabia 5-0 and beating Croatia 5-2. The team how ever fell at d quarter finals where they lost to a highly experienced French side after extra time.

Two years later in Turkey 2013 he still handled the U20 side with what is left of his "Obu's boys" and some other inclusions. Ajagun, Kayode, Egbedi and Bright Ejike still made d team. Imoh Ezekiel was invited but he turned down d offer. Omeruo, Musa and Onazi would have been in the team but they were busy with d Super Eagles at d confed cup in Brazil.

Today, the "John Obu's boys" form the spine of the Super Eagles with Omeruo, Onazi and Musa in the usual starting 11 while Azeez is a midfield sub and Nwofor deputising for Emenike making a total of 5! making d WC. Others like Michael Olaitan and Abdul Ajagun are doing well in their Greek clubs and getting ready for Super Eagles call up. Remember Olaitan's heroics at this years Champions league round of 16 game between Olympiacos of Greece and Manchester united. Infact Joel Cambell of Costa Rica (on loan from Arsenal) and Olaitan's partnership tore down the Manchester United defence!

The future seams to be bright for this class of players aka the "John Obu's boys". We only hope they keep improving and do Nigeria proud in 2016 Olympics and 2018 world cup.

God bless the "John Obu's boys".
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 06, 2014
We hope that by WC 2018 we would be talking about John Obu's plus Manu garba's boys.

We would have:

Omeruo
Mohammed
Alfa
Nwakali
Chidera Eze
Onazi
Iheanacho
Ramon Azeez
Isaac success
Musa yahaya
Michael Olaitan
Uche Nwofor
Ahmed musa.

If these boys keep on hitting the pedals, we would be a threat by 2018
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 5:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
breezy047: We hope that by WC 2018 we would be talking about John Obu's plus Manu garba's boys.

We would have:

Omeruo
Mohammed
Alfa
Nwakali
Chidera Eze
Onazi
Iheanacho
Ramon Azeez
Isaac success
Musa yahaya
Michael Olaitan
Uche Nwofor
Ahmed musa.

That's y people with fore-sight are already seeing a golden generation that is abt to emerge. So much talented young players.
Mean while yeye NFF are busy sacking themselves. Mtcheew.
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Icon4s(m): 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
@ Syenite, I love this article. Pls are u a football journalist? Cos u sound like one.

John Obu may have been criticised in the past for nt winning any trophy bt he has provided us with a crop of talented young stars. The likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Villa and co never won anything at youth level bt dey later rose to become Super Stars. The NFF should monitor these young players.A Golden generation is about to emerge.

MODS, THIS IS A FRONT PAGE MATERIAL!

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by cheguevera: 6:23pm On Jul 06, 2014
There are some many youngsters scattered In European soccer academies. GET THOSE ONES TOO. THEY ARE MORE IMBIBED WITH THE WINNING MENTALITY THAN THEIR NIGERIAN TRAINED COUNTERPARTS
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by chic2pimp(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
Icon4s: John Obu may have been criticised in the past for nt winning any trophy bt he has provided his th a crop of talented young stars. The likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Alonso, Villa and co never won anything at youth level bt dey later rose to become Super Stars. The NFF should monitor these young players.A Golden generation is about to

Haba must you tell porkies?

Xavi won the u20 world cup hosted by Nigeria in 1999. Add to that the Sydney silver medal he got a year later.

Iniesta won the Uefa u17 and u19 championships. Not forgetting he got to the u20 world cup finals in 2003 where his Spanish side lost narrowly to Brazil.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Mologi(m): 6:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
mr ibu'boys abi weitin u say......self

that igbo man

with singlet cap

mtcheeeeeew

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 6:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
cheguevera: There are some many youngsters scattered In European soccer academies. GET THOSE ONES TOO. THEY ARE MORE IMBIBED WITH THE WINNING MENTALITY THAN THEIR NIGERIAN TRAINED COUNTERPARTS
Yes we know a good number of them. Sammy Ameobi of Newcastle's nationality switch is expected to b concluded before d commencement of AFCON 2015 Qualifiers. Keshi had talks with Chuks Aneke of Arsenal late last year abt a nationality switch. It is left to d NFF to commence d documtation aspect. And of course u know Keshi has capped Imoh Ezekiel and Leon Balogun there by securing them for Nigeria. Other prospects like Chuba Akpom of Arsenal and Jordon Ibe of Liverpool are also in the radar.Imho they should b considered for the U20 team since they are both 19 yrs olds.

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Icon4s(m): 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
chic2pimp:

Haba must you tell porkies?

Xavi won the u20 world cup hosted by Nigeria in 1999. Add to that the Sydney silver medal he got a year later.

Iniesta won the Uefa u17 and u19 championships. Not forgetting he got to the u20 world cup finals in 2003 where his Spanish side lost narrowly to Brazil.

Ok Xavi agreed. If u talk of continental level as u mentioned uefa. The John Obu boys won the CAF U20 in 2011 after previously winning a silver medal at the U17 WC. smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 7:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
Mologi: mr ibu'boys abi weitin u say......self

that igbo man

with singlet cap

mtcheeeeeew
What is this one saying. angry
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by wordychap: 8:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
What of d golden eaglets that won gold whose coach died of cancer? Where are they?
Yemi Stella's lads. I remember christantus
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by olumidazz: 10:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
pls guys whats the name of that super-sub in john obus team un-17 team of 2009. I think that fellow was highest goal scorer in that tournament, he got a goal each time he came off the bench. I cant forget the lovely goal he scored against spain at teslim balogun stadium, I was in the stadium that day and that goal is still very fresh in my memory. those are the boys we want to form the nucleus of our team together with enyeama for the future of our football and pls no keshi...
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by chinex276(m): 10:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
I'll be very happy if we dont have a Mikel slOwBI lyk player
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by chinex276(m): 10:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
olumidazz: pls guys whats the name of that super-sub in john obus team un-17 team of 2009. I think that fellow was highest goal scorer in that tournament, he got a goal each time he came off the bench. I cant forget the lovely goal he scored against spain at teslim balogun stadium, I was in the stadium that day and that goal is still very fresh in my memory. those are the boys we want to form the nucleus of our team together with enyeama for the future of our football and pls WE ALSO NEED keshi...
sani emmanuel
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by olumidazz: 10:47pm On Jul 06, 2014
@chinez 276 thanks so much.. where is that guy now he was very clinical In the box
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by jotey(m): 12:31am On Jul 07, 2014
we now have a bright future ....come 2018 we will be semi finalist ....come 2022 we shall rule the world
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by abatically(m): 1:00am On Jul 07, 2014
Don't be deceived by youth tournaments. They are full of over aged players that are already at their peaks. By the time they make it to the super eagles, they will be past their best hence fall at the biggest stage. Then we start all over again. Come 2022 we will still be saying we have a bright future and that by 2030 we will rule the world.... And the cycle continues. Onazi 21.... Really? Let's see how many more years he can still play at top level.

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by cheguevera: 1:03am On Jul 07, 2014
abatically: Don't be deceived by youth tournaments. They are full of over aged players that are already at their peaks. By the time they make it to the super eagles, they will be past their best hence fall at the biggest stage. Then we start all over again. Come 2022 we will still be saying we have a bright future and that by 2030 we will rule the world.... And the cycle continues. Onazi 21.... Really? Let's see how many more years he can still play at top level.
. HAHAHAHAHAHAA. HIT THE NAOL ON THE HEAD. I PREFER ALL THESE EUROPEAN BORN YOUNGSTERS THAN THESE OLD MEN MASQUERADING AS TEENAGERS. LONG TERM PLANNING IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS IN ANY RESPECT IN LIFE

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by tbaba1234: 2:02am On Jul 07, 2014
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Emmysteve(m): 5:14am On Jul 07, 2014
breezy047: We hope that by WC 2018 we would be talking about John Obu's plus Manu garba's boys.

We would have:

Omeruo
Mohammed
Alfa
Nwakali
Chidera Eze
Onazi
Iheanacho
Ramon Azeez
Isaac success
Musa yahaya
Michael Olaitan
Uche Nwofor
Ahmed musa.

Why must the 2018 wc be built on these players you highlighted above? I used to think the same we you do but not anymore. i think it you guys should stop calling on these 2013 under boys to be integrated into super eagles too soon. Our problem in this country is that we easily gets carried away by little success. A lot of people don't know that the present Eheanacho Kelechi is not the same with the one we saw at the u17 world cup. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw Eheanacho during the qualifier against Namibia at Ahmadu Bello stadium Kaduna
; Eheanacho is now a shadow of himself, as a matter of fact, he is no longer in Manu's starting 11. Unless something is done, his talent would go down the drain.

As i said before, we easily get carried away by little success. Most people are clamoring for these boys to be rushed without reasoning. If we do any mistake in succumbing to that call, Nigeria will ever lived to regret it.

My suggestion is that these boys must be kept together and must pass through the various age grade competitions before integrating them into the super eagles. After the 2015 AYC, they should be promoted to under 23 before talking about the super eagles.
Abeg make una no kill these boys career
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 6:34am On Jul 07, 2014
Emmysteve: Why must the 2018 wc be built on these players you highlighted above? I used to think the same we you do but not anymore. i think it you guys should stop calling on these 2013 under boys to be integrated into super eagles too soon. Our problem in this country is that we easily gets carried away by little success. A lot of people don't know that the present Eheanacho Kelechi is not the same with the one we saw at the u17 world cup. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw Eheanacho during the qualifier against Namibia at Ahmadu Bello stadium Kaduna
; Eheanacho is now a shadow of himself, as a matter of fact, he is no longer in Manu's starting 11. Unless something is done, his talent would go down the drain.

As i said before, we easily get carried away by little success. Most people are clamoring for these boys to be rushed without reasoning. If we do any mistake in succumbing to that call, Nigeria will ever lived to regret it.

My suggestion is that these boys must be kept together and must pass through the various age grade competitions before integrating them into the super eagles. After the 2015 AYC, they should be promoted to under 23 before talking about the super eagles.
Abeg make una no kill these boys career
Breezy was nt saying dey should b rushed into d Super Eagles now. He said they make d WC by 2018. If they play U20 by 2015 some of them would be matured enough to play U23 by 2016 . 2 yrs later some if them will make d WC. We know dat not all of them will enjoy that kind of career progression bt the NFF should play their part as to ensuring dey sign good contracts and they progress well. We don't expect all of them to progress well.
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 6:38am On Jul 07, 2014
abatically: Don't be deceived by youth tournaments. They are full of over aged players that are already at their peaks. By the time they make it to the super eagles, they will be past their best hence fall at the biggest stage. Then we start all over again. Come 2022 we will still be saying we have a bright future and that by 2030 we will rule the world.... And the cycle continues. Onazi 21.... Really? Let's see how many more years he can still play at top level.
Bro I can tell u dat the youngest crop of Eaglets/ flying eagles are the Obu and Manu's boys. Forget the Yemi Tela's boys they are a fraud.
The only 2 sets dat went through d MRI scan were d Obu and Manu boys. U are talking abt Onazi being or nt being 21. Do u know Paul Pogba is also 21? Who looks older btw Pogba and Omeruo/Azeez/ Onazi? Be sincere.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by lloydtruth: 7:38am On Jul 07, 2014
Syenite:
Bro I can tell u dat the youngest crop of Eaglets/ flying eagles are the Obu and Manu's boys. Forget the Yemi Tela's boys they are a fraud.
The only 2 sets dat went through d MRI scan were d Obu and Manu boys. U are talking abt Onazi being or nt being 21. Do u know Paul Pogba is also 21? Who looks older btw Pogba and Omeruo/Azeez/ Onazi? Be sincere.
haha bro help me ask oo, do you know that diego costa is 25 years and elderson echiejile is 26? abi na my eyes dey worry me.
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by lloydtruth: 8:11am On Jul 07, 2014
the 2009 U20 (chrisantus set) has been one of our worst, only fed the main team with 1 player (Haruna Lukman) who has not been consistent, the 2011 u20 ( Ahmed musa set) have been our best set so far feeding the super eagles with Omeruo, Onazi, Musa, Azeez and Nwofor then john obuh dissappointed most of us by bringing back some of the 2011 boy into the 2013 set instead of scouting for new talented boys, but we are still expecting players like michael olaita, henry uche agbo and possibly shehu abdullahi from the 2013 u20 to make it to the super eagles, now we have a new promising set of u20 (iheanacho set), some are saying that they shouldn't be rushed into super eagles and i ask why? the truth is that we all have our eyes on the present u20 towards 2018 World Cup, and before then we have two tournaments to prepare our team, Afcon 2015 and Afcon 2017, we all remember the squad England Paraded at the Brazil World Cup, young and highly talented but without any tournament experience and they paid heavily for it, now take Neymar and Oscar as a perfect example, brazil discovered them long ago and with 2014 World Cup in their mind started giving the Players the needed exposure despite their age, now we can all see the result, the players are playing as if this is their 3rd or even 4th World Cup, another close example is Omeruo, Onazi and Musa who had Afcon 2013 Experience, performed very well at the World Cup while their mates Azeez and Nwofor struggled a bit, they had no tournament exposure. personally i'll prefer we lose the 2015 Afcon with Alampasu, Mohammed, Ndidi, Nwakali, iheanacho, ezeh, success and perform well at the 2018 World Cup with them than Win the Afcon 2015 with Odunlami, Agbim, egwuekwe, reuben, uchebo, ameobi and perform badly at the 2018 World Cup.

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by fujirice: 10:01am On Jul 07, 2014
Syenite:
Leave that dude make e dey display his oversabi.....mtschew!

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 11:03am On Jul 07, 2014
Syenite:
Abeg una compare: Tell me Azeez, Omeruo and Onazi look older than Pogba

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by abatically(m): 11:12am On Jul 07, 2014
fujirice:
Leave that dude make e dey display his oversabi.....mtschew!

E PAIN AM !!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by abatically(m): 11:18am On Jul 07, 2014
Syenite:
Abeg una compare: Tell me Azeez, Omeruo and Onazi look older than Pogba

Physical looks alone is not enough to determine true age. What matters is how long they are able to play at top level. How many Nigerians play at top level in the late 20's/early 30's? That is the normal age most European players peak. There is only one explanation.. a Nigerian footballer at 27 is actually 37.. past his best. Where are the Obafemi martins, Taye taiwo, Nsofor, Ogbuke etc. I thought they were the future of the Super eagles a few years ago. Their mates in Europe are still playing at top level.

Martins and taiye taiwo are 29 (official age)
Nsofor is 27
Ogbuke is 28.

These are normal peak age for players. But these old men have already passed their best.
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by MadCow1: 11:24am On Jul 07, 2014
lloydtruth: haha bro help me ask oo, do you know that diego costa is 25 years and elderson echiejile is 26? abi na my eyes dey worry me.

Lol..

The one wey Shock me be say Robben is 30 years old.. grin

That guy wey resemble who senior Giggs. grin

But if he were Nigerian, them for don use Opata destroy ehn career. grin

1 Like

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by Syenite(m): 11:26am On Jul 07, 2014
abatically:

Physical looks alone is not enough to determine true age. What matters is how long they are able to play at top level. How many Nigerians play at top level in the late 20's/early 30's? That is the normal age most European players peak. There is only one explanation.. a Nigerian footballer at 27 is actually 37.. past his best. Where are the Obafemi martins, Taye taiwo, Nsofor, Ogbuke etc. I thought they were the future of the Super eagles a few years ago. Their mates in Europe are still playing at top level.

I can categorically tell you that since the introduction of the MRI scan in 2009 Nigeria has been fielding players that are 17 or close to 17. We are already seeing the fruit as some of these boys are beginning to climb. Any eaglet team prio to 2009 was a fraud. Thr Obu boys are d pioneer set for MRI and count their progress this far. We expect more from the Manu boys. With the Amuneke boys getting ready to be show cased Nigeria is beginning to get it right.
Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by MadCow1: 11:53am On Jul 07, 2014
abatically:

Martins and taiye taiwo are 29 (official age)
Nsofor is 27
Ogbuke is 28.

These are normal peak age for players. But these old men have already passed their best.

[b]Erm,,,

Oga, stop going back in time like you are in a time capsule. angry

Taiwo and Co's set were frauds. The last set of fraudulent players in age grade tourneys that Nigeria has ever had were the Yemi Tella Boys with the likes of Chrisantus and co. Now FIFA has introduced the MRI testing systtem which carries a 99% accuracy until the age of 17. So Kelechi Iheanachos set are actually the future Golden Generation of the Super Eagles IF the NFF would realize their folly and step-up their player development programme. What do I mean;

Neymar had the advantage of having a Football Father who helped shepherd him through his career. By 17, he was playing in the Senior Team of Santos in the Brazillian League. Messi and Fabregas had been in Barcelona since Age 11 so you can imagine the wealth of experience they had acquired.

All these beautiful and talented young Nigerian Players would all end up like Mikel Obi if they are not properly handled. I would have thought that by now, the NFF wo0uld have an understanding with clubs in countries like; example Netherland, whose clubs like Ajax of Amsterdam have at one time or the other produced some of our renowed ex-eagles like Kanu Nwankwo, Tijani Babangida, Finidi George, Sunday Oliseh, Pius Ikedia and co and have an active scouting team here where we give them first dibs at our players. What happens with our boys is that they flourish in youth torunaments and somehow fall out of luck in career progression. No real good club comes for them. Then they end up in some obscure european country playing in their lower leagues and die there.

If we cant get the partnership of foreign clubs, then we can develop our home league and make the competition tougher and up the stakes.

If we dont, then I am sorry, back to the same ol' style we are used to.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: The Rise And Rise Of The "John Obu's Boys". by abatically(m): 12:00pm On Jul 07, 2014
MadCow1:

[b]Erm,,,

Oga, stop going back in time like you are in a time capsule. angry

Taiwo and Co's set were frauds. The last set of fraudulent players in age grade tourneys that Nigeria has ever had were the Yemi Tella Boys with the likes of Chrisantus and co. Now FIFA has introduced the MRI testing systtem which carries a 99% accuracy until the age of 17. So Kelechi Iheanachos set are actually the future Golden Generation of the Super Eagles IF the NFF would realize their folly and step-up their player development programme. What do I mean;

Neymar had the advantage of having a Football Father who helped shepherd him through his career. By 17, he was playing in the Senior Team of Santos in the Brazillian League. Messi and Fabregas had been in Barcelona since Age 11 so you can imagine the wealth of experience they had acquired.

All these beautiful and talented young Nigerian Players would all end up like Mikel Obi if they are not properly handled. I would have thought that by now, the NFF wo0uld have an understanding with clubs in countries like; example Netherland, whose clubs like Ajax of Amsterdam have at one time or the other produced some of our renowed ex-eagles like Kanu Nwankwo, Tijani Babangida, Finidi George, Sunday Oliseh, Pius Ikedia and co and have an active scouting team here where we give them first dibs at our players. What happens with our boys is that they flourish in youth torunaments and somehow fall out of luck in career progression. No real good club comes for them. Then they end up in some obscure european country playing in their lower leagues and die there.

If we cant get the partnership of foreign clubs, then we can develop our home league and make the competition tougher and up the stakes.

If we dont, then I am sorry, back to the same ol' style we are used to.[/b]

OK, let's wait and see. I understand ur point about MRI introduced in 2009. We will actually know if its fraud or not in a few years to see if these boys can still play to their potential. And thank God u realize taiye taiwo and co were frauds.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Worst Goalkeepers Mistakes In Football History (funny) / Do Real Madrid Sack Capello And Sign Mourinho? / David "the Haymaker" Haye V. John Ruiz- Wiil U Be Watching?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.