Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,159 members, 7,815,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) (3486 Views)

Buhari: The North Has An Agenda And Tinubu Is Not Part Of It / Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe / North Has More Resources Than Niger Delta - Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by grafikdon: 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2008
@ Quotasystem, according to the reasoning of Kobojunkie, JAMB is insignificant since those Igbo boys flush their ''JAMB" down the toilet and go sell bicycle parts at Alaba or shout "Ose!!!" and "Ochanja!!" at Upper Iweka, thereby joining the crop of ''illiterate'' 'Ibo'  High School Drop outs. . . errr . . . Graduates.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by Kobojunkie: 12:39pm On Oct 10, 2008
sigh!!!
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by grafikdon: 12:44pm On Oct 10, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Actually, I am not claiming to know more than you do but I can definitely say that you can not claim to know more than I do in this case as you have yet to show any proof to refute my claim. So again, telling me you are on the ground means nothing and prooves nothing. As I have made it clear, it is my observation that the so called myth is not myth at all.  Prove me wrong but don't feed me with the old " YOU ARE NOT ON GROUND MEANS YOU DO NOT KNOW" line. For all I know, you could be in Afghanistan making that claim. So again, prove me wrong or accept that which you call myth may well be more reality than myth.

Just like you did not provide me any statistic to back up your claim of Igbo boys not going to school. You summed it up based on your observation of the situation on the ground. So tell me, what makes your 'drive by' observation more credible than the observation of someone who has been on the ground for 22 years? You want me to provide you with statistics? You gotta be kiddin' LMAO!!!  grin

Kobojunkie:
I have seen how people cling to tribal believes here but I do not understand how you came to the conclusion that I am in some way claiming majority of ibo boys are school dropouts. Last I checked, completing high school degree in Nigeria is enough for anyone to claim Educated in Nigeria. Is a high school certificate holder now considered a school dropout if he/she chooses not to continue to college, in Nigeria ?

I am not clinging to any tribal sentiments here, Kobojonkie. I could care less who is more or less Educated because honestly I consider things like that as worthless gibberish because nobody can give us impeccable statistics, I mean. . . NOBODY. It is more than impossible as far as Naija is concerned, therefore there is no need to waste my time converting Osama Bin Laden into a clean shaven-Bible wielding-incantation chanting Pentecostal Pastor. Heck, if we do a percentage based comparison  we are more likely to find out NONE of the WAZOBIA people are in the lead in terms of education.

Obviously you didn't get my point at all. The myth is that MOST IGBO BOYS do not go to school. This was the reality after the civil war since MOST Igbo parents could not do much with 20 pounds. Only those who had people outside or those in petty trading had the financial capacity to send their children to school. As a result of this, there was a mad rush into business as means of survival and financial stability in the face of insurmountable odds. This trend has changed over the years but a lot of people did not realize that (or they refused to acknowledge the change). Now Kobo, that's where I am coming from. I know there are Igbo boys who couldn't be bothered with school, on the other hand I also know there are those who are hell bent on going to school and they outnumber the former. Unfortunately, the latter group are not the 'noise makers' so you see/hear more of the former (hustler) groups.

Kobojunkie:
Call it ramblings but so far what I can go on is what I see and have learnt. Only wish we had stats and data to back this up, then it would be more interesting but again, I do not trust in what I am told, I trust that which I know to be fact. If you have a problem with that, that is fine by me. Unless you are going to follow this claim that my "ramblings" are not factual with proof, you and I know this is futile.

C'mon Kobojunkie, aren't you asking me to do the impossible here? You stand by what you have learnt but I should give you factual proof? Like you said, this is futile because like you I will cling to what I have learnt for 22 years. . . except your own is "drive by" observation. . .  grin

Ok, kobo. . . I shouldn't have used 'rambling'. . . my apology
grin
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by naijaking1: 6:37pm On Oct 10, 2008
@grafikdon
Good luck! So, you dey for Jamaica? I used to hang out at Queen's Hospital Center at 142nd st.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by grafikdon: 8:27pm On Oct 10, 2008
naijaking1:

@grafikdon
Good luck! So, you dey for Jamaica? I used to hang out at Queen's Hospital Center at 142nd st.

Yes o. 142nd is close to my 'Joint'. I used to avoid Queens Like cancer due to a series of unfortunate incidents, now I have ditched Brooklyn and I am back. . . somewhere in Hillside. . . grin grin
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by naijaking1: 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2008
Wouldn't it be so funny if you end up staying at Jamaica Estates too! Anyway, back to topic. This thread is a cheap PR attempt to boost the northern literacy against those of the south.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by OBVIOUS(m): 9:23pm On Oct 10, 2008
Interesting observation. In the North, you are either extremely rich or extremely poor. There is hardly any middle class in the North unlike people in the South or East.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by naijaking1: 11:05pm On Oct 10, 2008
OBVIOUS:

Interesting observation. In the North, you are either extremely rich or extremely poor. There is hardly any middle class in the North unlike people in the South or East.

That's what they mean by Igbo ama eze
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by dblock(m): 2:07am On Oct 11, 2008
The statistics are somewhat true.

Maybe it is not the worst in the World as the statistics say, but it is definitely up there.

Countries that are totally controlled by Islam perform Negatively

Why countries which are less controlled perform Better.

The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait etc are better than Saudi Arabia, Iran etc.

Why is it that Nigeria is one of the countries that still has Polio

It's because people in the north won't vaccinate their children.

The Average GDP per capita in the North is about $900/1000 (Proven)

The Average GDP per capita in the South is about $2000/2500 (Proven)

The economy in the North these days is inexistent, which is why there is still a heavy reliance on commodities from Southern Nigerian.

The Problem with the north is Sharia and the Elitist Structure.

Take this away, you have a better society, better standard of living and maybe even a better economy as there is better productivity.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by Kobojunkie: 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2008
grafikdon:

Just like you did not provide me any statistic to back up your claim of Igbo boys not going to school. You summed it up based on your observation of the situation on the ground. So tell me, what makes your 'drive by' observation more credible than the observation of someone who has been on the ground for 22 years? You want me to provide you with statistics? You gotta be kiddin' LMAO!!!  grin

I know you saying you have been there 22 years means you are more credible. I know someone who has been there over 45 years that will tell you that you have no clue what you are talking of.

grafikdon:

I am not clinging to any tribal sentiments here, Kobojonkie. I could care less who is more or less Educated because honestly I consider things like that as worthless gibberish because nobody can give us impeccable statistics, I mean. . . NOBODY. It is more than impossible as far as Naija is concerned, therefore there is no need to waste my time converting Osama Bin Laden into a clean shaven-Bible wielding-incantation chanting Pentecostal Pastor. Heck, if we do a percentage based comparison  we are more likely to find out NONE of the WAZOBIA people are in the lead in terms of education.

If you read my post there. I never said that ibo boys do not go to school. For all I know back in the 80’s and 90’s, college was all the hype but I believe that there are far more JAMB “hold backs” in the east than in the west. Now, since there is no PERCENTAGE BASED COMPARISON to back this up to date due to the state of the educational system in the country, both on the private and the public level, I still say this is not a worthy debate and so we can each choose to believe as we want to, based on our surroundings and exposure. Getting more accurate stats is possible. Anyone who lives in that country knows that JAMB stats hold no water when it comes to actual number of students who do get into school each year. There are folks who take JAMB 7 times just so they can get into college and we all know that a high JAMB score does not automatically mean college education. Like I said, hopefully we have a better way of measuring the actual number of students who do get into college compared to those who take the JAMB exam and then we can easily estimate the number of students from each region who make it each year more accurately.

grafikdon:

Obviously you didn't get my point at all. The myth is that MOST IGBO BOYS do not go to school. This was the reality after the civil war since MOST Igbo parents could not do much with 20 pounds. Only those who had people outside or those in petty trading had the financial capacity to send their children to school. As a result of this, there was a mad rush into business as means of survival and financial stability in the face of insurmountable odds. This trend has changed over the years but a lot of people did not realize that (or they refused to acknowledge the change). Now Kobo, that's where I am coming from. I know there are Igbo boys who couldn't be bothered with school, on the other hand I also know there are those who are hell bent on going to school and they outnumber the former. Unfortunately, the latter group are not the 'noise makers' so you see/hear more of the former (hustler) groups.

Why in the world would we be discussing a supposed myth from way back during the civil war when we are speaking of current day Nigeria? Just because there are those who are hell bent on going to school, does not then mean that there are no problems in the area of Education when you speak of the ibo boys. Come on!! The presence of 10 or 20 boys in school in a certain community does not automatically write off the fact that there could likely be a problem when it comes to number of literates in that zone.

grafikdon:

C'mon Kobojunkie, aren't you asking me to do the impossible here? You stand by what you have learnt but I should give you factual proof? Like you said, this is futile because like you I will cling to what I have learnt for 22 years. . . except your own is "drive by" observation. . .  grin

Ok, kobo. . . I shouldn't have used 'rambling'. . . my apology
grin

I have been involved in researching the Nigerian school system for about a year and a half now and I can definitively tell you that the story I get from the East when it comes to education is not as good as that which I get from the western states. Now, I am not saying the cases are not all bad but there exists a lot of gaps that needs to be filled, and then some ,on all sides.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by grafikdon: 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2008
Apparently, this is going to be an endless exchange of gibberish, yes gibberish because in the end, NOBODY  can give us any data that does not look like our trifling fraudulent census figures. You will disregard every data, experience and observation at my disposal as inconsequential while I will vehemently reject  your bogus collection of ''shocking'' data from the East. We can only depend on our 'drive by' observation and statistics which will all amount to gibberish in the end.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by naijaking1: 5:17pm On Oct 11, 2008
While we all would never agree on the validuty of the Nigerian census figures, on a personal level, I have noticed a drop-off of the number of Igbo boys going beyond high school from my own family, I have been told that the situation also applies to the town and possibly the state in general.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by grafikdon: 5:43pm On Oct 11, 2008
naijaking1:

While we all would never agree on the validuty of the Nigerian census figures, on a personal level, I have noticed a drop-off of the number of Igbo boys going beyond high school from my own family, I have been told that the situation also applies to the town and possibly the state in general.

But the percentage of the boys in my family (immediate and extended) that didn't go beyond high school is very low,  less than 3% to be precise, much less and we are talking about families where you have the average of 5 children, mostly  boys (I believe 75%). If you include only those born from 1979, you may end up with a percentage that is close to 1. This exactly is the same trend in my neighbourhood in Awka where the boys who didn't go beyond high school pale in comparison. Now, how do we reconcile this? You see, in the end we all end up in a brick wall because if somebody is telling me my statistics do not reflect the situation on the ground by a long stretch, I wouldn't be keen on accepting their data as the impeccable reflection of the situation on the ground.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by naijaking1: 5:51pm On Oct 11, 2008
Simply put, I think that most people will agree that decreasing quantity and quality of education in Nigeria is not just a northern phenomenom, it's a national issue. Cheap attempts to focus only on the north, takes the juice away from the south. "Well, the north is worse hit' someone may say, but when we go back to census, the picture changes.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by grafikdon: 5:58pm On Oct 11, 2008
I have no doubts about the deplorable state of education in Nigeria, heck what really isn't in shambles? Is it Health care, employment  or security? But that doesn't give anyone the audacity to manufacture information out of thin air and parade them as ''fact''.  That's my ''beef''.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by Sammy107d(m): 9:23pm On Oct 11, 2008
The poster has a good reason for placing this under the 'Politics' section.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by AloyEmeka9: 9:24pm On Oct 11, 2008

Countries that are totally controlled by Islam perform Negatively

Why countries which are less controlled perform Better.

The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait etc are better than Saudi Arabia, Iran etc.

Any strong proof to this claim?
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by QuotaSyste(m): 10:54pm On Oct 11, 2008
@Kobojunkie
If you read my post there. I never said that ibo boys do not go to school. For all I know back in the 80’s and 90’s, college was all the hype but I believe that there are far more JAMB “hold backs” in the east than in the west. Now, since there is no PERCENTAGE BASED COMPARISON to back this up to date due to the state of the educational system in the country, both on the private and the public level, I still say this is not a worthy debate and so we can each choose to believe as we want to, based on our surroundings and exposure.

You believe that there are far more JAMB “hold backs” in the east than in the west. Where did you get that belief from? Off your thin head i believe. Easterners must not be educated more than your Yorubas, but sorry, JAMB statistics states otherwise. Ohhhh, i forgot, Igbos control JAMB and there for they fix the statistics to favor themselves. So for you Yoruba, JAMB statistics hold no water because it didn't favor Yorubas. May be you think that it must be same as your nigerias manipulated census and election figure? Sorry, it aint that.

Getting more accurate stats is possible. Anyone who lives in that country knows that JAMB stats hold no water when it comes to actual number of students who do get into school each year. There are folks who take JAMB 7 times just so they can get into college and we all know that a high JAMB score does not automatically mean college education. Like I said, hopefully we have a better way of measuring the actual number of students who do get into college compared to those who take the JAMB exam and then we can easily estimate the number of students from each region who make it each year more accurately.

Which more accurate stats do you need aside from JAMB? Yes, for you JAMB stats will never hold water because it's every year statistics is contrary to what you wish for. You talk about getting more accurate stats. Which other accurate stats do you want aside of JAMB? Ohhh, because JAMB is not being controlled like the Yoruba awusa census and election, therefore it's stats must be rubbish. I remember you hailing the nigeria census figure as the best thing since slice bread, but JAMB is never accurate.

As you said that JAMB stats hold no water when it comes to actual number of students who do get into school each year, i hope this also applies to Yoruba people? You said that there are folks who take JAMB 7 times just so they can get into college, i also hope this also applies to Yoruba people? Yes we all know that a high JAMB score does not automatically mean college education, i do hope also that this also applies to Yoruba people?

Like you said, that hopefully we have a better way of measuring the actual number of students who do get into college compared to those who take the JAMB exam and then we can easily estimate the number of students from each region who make it each year more accurately. Hope this also applies to Yoruba people, so in essence when you measure as you want, calculate all and minus what ever you want, Igbos will still have the highest number of educated since your minus must be from both group. The minus should not pertain to Igbos alone. Yorubas must also be inclusive in what ever minus you want to perform from JAMB accurate statistics.

The presence of 10 or 20 boys in school in a certain community does not automatically write off the fact that there could likely be a problem when it comes to number of literates in that zone.

I also hope this "certain" applies to Yoruba areas.

I have been involved in researching the Nigerian school system for about a year and a half now and I can definitively tell you that the story I get from the East when it comes to education is not as good as that which I get from the western states. Now, I am not saying the cases are not all bad but there exists a lot of gaps that needs to be filled, and then some ,on all sides.

You have been involved in shhiiiiit research. If you don't believe in JAMB independent statistics which is accurate how then do you want anyone to believe in your so called research? So, i should leave what JAMB says about educational statistics and believe in your makeshift quark research? Your own personal so called research indicates that western states are better off educationally where as JAMB states otherwise, and anyone in his right sense will chose yours over JAMB? Clap for your self. Anumanu, may be you think JAMB statistics is nigerian manipulated census and election figures.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by tpia: 11:19pm On Oct 11, 2008
Someone mispelling Yoruba and someone mispelling ibo.

why can't they hook up and have some yorubo kids?

Quarter crazy can take an awusa woman as his second wife.

what am I saying? The guy fit perform? The disgrace go chase am comot him face me I face you veranda.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 13, 2008
@MCusman

you were talking about the north central not being predominantly christian, well here are the facts

BENUE 90% CHRISTIAN 6% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 4% ISLAM

PLATEAU 70% CHRISTIAN 11% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 19% ISLAM

KWARA 40% CHRISTIAN 8% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 52% ISLAM

KOGI 40% CHRISTIAN 20% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 40% ISL;AM

NIGER 20% CHRISTIAN 10% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 70% ISLAM

NASSARAWA 45% CHRISTIAN 15% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 40% ISLAM

you can do the remaining maths yourself
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by DRANOEL(m): 4:44pm On Oct 13, 2008
torkaka:

@MCusman

you were talking about the north central not being predominantly christian, well here are the facts

BENUE 90% CHRISTIAN 6% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 4% ISLAM

PLATEAU 70% CHRISTIAN 11% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 19% ISLAM

KWARA 40% CHRISTIAN 8% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 52% ISLAM

KOGI 40% CHRISTIAN 20% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 40% ISL;AM

NIGER 20% CHRISTIAN 10% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 70% ISLAM

NASSARAWA 45% CHRISTIAN 15% TRADITIONAL BELIEF 40% ISLAM

you can do the remaining maths yourself

help me educate the mallam grin grin grin
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by naijaking1: 1:27am On Oct 14, 2008
We should really be discussing providing educational opportunities for every Nigerian child no matter his tribe, religion and ethnicity, instead we are saddled with questionable statistics about the north--- how sad.
Re: North Has World's Highest Iliterate Children ( World Bank) by nigeria12: 10:12pm On Oct 15, 2008
somali

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abia Govt Employs 4,500 Youths To Work At The State’s Environmental Agency / Compare Jonathan's Sportsmen Rally With APC 1million-man March / President Elect Buhari Visit Lagos Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.