Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe (20449 Views)

Balarabe: Why The North Has Never Allowed Nigeria To Have Peace, Unity, Progress / North Has Oil, Diamond, Gold But I Want Us To Remain With Biafrans-maitama Sule / Buhari: The North Has An Agenda And Tinubu Is Not Part Of It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Sanchez01: 6:57am On Mar 09, 2015

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, on Friday, said as far as the forthcoming general elections were concerned, politicians from the Northern part of the country had miscalculated.

Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), a Northerner, is contesting against President Goodluck Jonathan (a Southerner) of the Peoples Democratic Party.

Okupe, who spoke to journalists in Abuja, said Northern politicians got it wrong because they erroneously believed that a national leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, is the leader of the Yoruba race and that he could deliver the South-West.

He said while doing that, the North left out some of the people that really matter in the zone whom he described as the North’s former allies.

He said, “The North has always had partnership in the South; in the South-West, South-South and South-East.

“But somehow, the North miscalculated this time around because they assumed wrongly that Bola Tinubu was the leader of the Yoruba race, and that if they can strike a deal with him, they have got the South-West.

“While doing that, they left their former allies that included Gen. Adeyinka Adebayo (retd.), Richard Akinjide, Omololu Olunloyo and others.”

Okupe said even if Buhari wins the presidential election, which he said was impossible, the North would still lose out.

He said if Buhari wins, he would not be able to do a second term, therefore, giving room for a southerner to again emerge as the President in 2019.

He wondered if the North would be satisfied with only four years when they could have their full eight years from 2019.

“Even if Buhari wins this election, which is impossible, he cannot do a second term. So, when the second term comes, why would other people not contest against him? He is a Northerner and if he cannot run for election again, then, the thing should go back to the South. So, would the North be satisfied with only four years?

“These are the issues. That is why I am saying this 2015 election is beyond Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadu Buhari. It is a matter of national stability,” he explained.

Okupe was of the view that if Jonathan completes his second term of four years in 2019, the North has a chance that cannot be denied to present a candidate who will rule the country for another eight years.
Source: http://www.punchng.com/politics/elections-north-has-miscalculated-says-okupe/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Sanchez01: 7:00am On Mar 09, 2015
Funny how the PDP cannot just concentrate and face their strategies. The South-West people does not need its traditional rulers to tell them who to vote for. Someone's 21 billion Naira might be in vain here.

143 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by SOBSISRAEL(m): 7:06am On Mar 09, 2015
Thanks for the notification. bruh okupe. Bcus anytin miscaculated cn b recaculated. We are wiser nw. We are no more in d era when 1 oba wil tel us who to vote for.
My thumb wil determine.

Jamb starts 2morrow.
To pass easily and be confident in the exam hall contact me on 09033976204 for JAMB CBT tips and things you need to know with Jamb revelation a day before you exam.
NB. Whatsapp or call me on 09033976204
Help urself, friends, enemies, mum, dad, cousin be preaching this Jamb Gospel to them

38 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by servantleader: 7:10am On Mar 09, 2015
PDP sharing of presidency.
Why even bother conducting elections after 4 years since once you win an election, you will be president for 8 years.
these are the people wanting to lead us. shame!

49 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by PassingShot(m): 7:12am On Mar 09, 2015
You're talking from a position and calculation of PDP and their arrangements which do not accord performance the priority it deserves. What sense is in zoning arrangement that doesn't guarantee improvement of Nigeria?

What Tinubu has achieved for the SW politically, all the names you put up there cannot match in ten years to come.

Tinubu it was who delivered SW from the claws and fangs of PDP who would have continued to rule us like slaves just as Akala in Oyo, Gbenga Daniel in Ogun, Fayose in Ekiti and Omisore in Osun then. All these names LOOTED their state without mercy.

An average Yoruba thinks and acts independently, not by what one Oba or Adebayo tells him. If Tinubu fails Yorubas today, we will show him through our votes.

124 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by victorD3: 7:13am On Mar 09, 2015
The north is faced with this challenge but I'm sure the engligthened ones understands that their best option is with GEJ completing his term till 2019.

12 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by seunfly: 7:17am On Mar 09, 2015
PDP can't just face their campaign than accusation of others, so you think all north miscalculated and so they will losse in southwest and north. Chai! PDP!!!!! When will you get sense?

OLADD:

By March 28 and April 11, you will know how politically influential Yoruba Obas are. Be that as it may, Buhari wll never win southwest. Mark my words.

Sorry bro, Yoruba Oba are very calculative, they only support sitting government to chop and clean mouth. That is why they lasted in office till today, they don't oppose the ruling government in public but in private, you can not guarantee the same.During IBB they supported him, during Abacha they supported him and they are doing as usual but we all know the end result of those they supported in public.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Nobody: 7:18am On Mar 09, 2015
victorD3:
The north is faced with this challenge but I'm sure the engligthened ones understands that their best option is with GEJ completing his term till 2019.
I guess you made a mistake over there, please modify it to worse option

keep calm and vote Buhari
#I_Have_Decided
GMB 2015

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by arewafederation: 7:23am On Mar 09, 2015
What does the Bastard mean by "the North will lose out"?

These useless PDP dogs should know that Nigerians are gradually overcoming the ethnic discord planted by the PDP since '99. Right now, we don't really care where the president comes from. All we are after is for someone with the will and passion to get Nigeria out of the mess created by PDP.

Presently, Buhari is the Man for the job.

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by PedroJP(m): 7:26am On Mar 09, 2015
Weda North like am or not........

GEJ till 2019

No b their calculations escalate BH activities

12 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by OLADD: 7:33am On Mar 09, 2015
Sanchez01:
Funny how the PDP cannot just concentrate and face their strategies. The South-West people does not need its traditional rulers to tell them who to vote for. Someone's 21 billion Naira might be in vain here.

By March 28 and April 11, you will know how politically influential Yoruba Obas are. Be that as it may, Buhari wll never win southwest. Mark my words.

10 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by fkaz(m): 7:34am On Mar 09, 2015
Okupe can not tell northern when to rule, let jonathan partner with the yoruba leaders he mention if they are that important and allow northern to partner with tinubu

15 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by ziccoit: 7:35am On Mar 09, 2015
Sanchez01:

This is what GEJ doesn't undestand about SW politics. Experience has shown that godfatherism and co have very little influence in determining the voting direction of SWners. How much did GEJ dole out yo people before he was voted in 2011? Now that SWners are tired of his leadership style he is as good as gone!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by kokoA(m): 7:36am On Mar 09, 2015
The arrogance with which these PDP people speak is what annoys me more.. Is Okupe God?! What does he mean by Buhari cannot have a second term?! OBJ is 78 years, does he look like someone who will die soon? Anyway, thank God he knowledges the possibility of a Buhari win against his oga.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Sanchez01: 7:52am On Mar 09, 2015
OLADD:

[b]Funny, why not take a survey around before making your claim Of all Obas, I stayed in Osun state for a number of years and I'll gladly admit that the Ooni of Ife is a PDP fan but that does not apply to the Alaafin of Oyo who has shown his support towards the APC. As interesting as it is, the son of the Alaafin is running under the platform of the APC. Tell me, why then do you think he'll go against the ambition of his son for a stranger who is totally alien to the culture of the Yoruba people

The only state GEJ will comfortable get his confidence is Ekiti and that's largely due to the fact that the tout in Fayose has stirred fear into the hearts of the people of Ekiti.
And as touching the Ooni, kindly know that the State of Osun is an APC state. There are facts to back this up. Nuhu Ribadu got the highest vote of the S/W in Osun while other S/W states were only average. Trust me, it is not enough to take to a forum and comfort yourself just because you are inclined. I've seen the odds in the S/W and I don't expect the PDP and GEJ to be surprised at the eventual result of the S/W because it's obvious. Okupe knows this, and so does FFK.[/b]

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:52am On Mar 09, 2015
OLADD:

If you care to know, those oba are deceiving Jonathan. The only prominent among them that supports him is the Ooni of Ife, Okunade Sijuade. The Alaafin is a die-hard supporter of the APC. He even bought some motorcycles (okada) for the campaign of the party.
Like I always say, go to any newspaper stand in the South West; the argument you hear there will prove to you that Jonathan will lose the election.

27 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Mynd44: 7:53am On Mar 09, 2015
fkaz:
Okupe can not tell northern when to rule, let jonathan partner with the yoruba leaders he mention if they are that important and allow northern to partner with tinubu
Apart from the Ooni, which other prominent Yoruba King has been hanging out with the PDP?

You people don't know crap about the hierachy the Obas ooo.

The Ewi of Ado hates Fayose
The Deji of Akure does not want to see Mimiko
The Awujale is Tinubu's pal
The Oba of Lagos is well....lmao
The Alaafin even donated to the APC
The Onibadan

Name Obas in Yorubaland that are more influencial than these ones

41 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by blacksta(m): 8:00am On Mar 09, 2015
The man is gradually accepting defeat....he has gone from GMB can never be president to if GMB wins , that the north will lose out

12 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Mynd44: 8:02am On Mar 09, 2015
blacksta:
The man is gradually accepting defeat....he has gone from GMB can never be president to if GMB wins , that the north will lose out
Playing tribal politics na. That's what people like that dude has turned Nigeria to.

7 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by SAZZYSKOLY(m): 8:04am On Mar 09, 2015
It's high time this guy goes on leave

1 Like

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by OLADD: 8:04am On Mar 09, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

If you care to know, those oba are deceiving Jonathan. The only prominent among them that supports him is the Ooni of Ife, Okunade Sijuade. The Alaafin is a die-hard supporter of the APC. He even bought some motorcycles (okada) for the campaign of the party.
Like I always say, go to any newspaper stand in the South West; the argument you hear there will prove to you that Jonathan will lose the election.

Newspaper stands? Gosh! So you base your judgement on gutter talks from newspaper stands? How many market women and farmers do you see converging at newspapers stands to discuss the outcome of elections? Don't bother to waste your data, just wait till election dates when you will know the scores.

4 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by minifuworld: 8:05am On Mar 09, 2015
we ar talkin abt d well-being of d masses, corruption, economy mismanagement, unemployment and insecurity dis yeye man is talkin abt power sharin wot nonsense.

7 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by OLADD: 8:11am On Mar 09, 2015
Sanchez01:

[b]Funny, why not take a survey around before making your claim Of all Obas, I stayed in Osun state for a number of years and I'll gladly admit that the Ooni of Ife is a PDP fan but that does not apply to the Alaafin of Oyo who has shown his support towards the APC. As interesting as it is, the son of the Alaafin is running under the platform of the APC. Tell me, why then do you think he'll go against the ambition of his son for a stranger who is totally alien to the culture of the Yoruba people

The only state GEJ will comfortable get his confidence is Ekiti and that's largely due to the fact that the tout in Fayose has stirred fear into the hearts of the people of Ekiti.
And as touching the Ooni, kindly know that the State of Osun is an APC state. There are facts to back this up. Nuhu Ribadu got the highest vote of the S/W in Osun while other S/W states were only average. Trust me, it is not enough to take to a forum and comfort yourself just because you are inclined. I've seen the odds in the S/W and I don't expect the PDP and GEJ to be surprised at the eventual result of the S/W because it's obvious. Okupe knows this, and so does FFK.[/b]

Don't bother yourself with mind-soothing epistle. Just quote me after the elections. I am too politically awakened to be swayed with those fables. March 28 and April 11 beckons.

2 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Sanchez01: 8:22am On Mar 09, 2015
OLADD:

Don't bother yourself with mind-soothing epistle. Just quote me after the elections. I am too politically awakened to be swayed with those fables. March 28 and April 11 beckons.
It is not a soothing epistle. Refuse to be a local champion and feed yourself with hard facts from average Nigerians on the streets. It's quite disturbing that your stance is certain when the person you want to vote for is jittery. Jonathan has visited the S/W severally during this elections. He understands that the North is lost to GMB already and his only chance of survival is the S/E and the S/W. The S/S is awfully divided against him he's not even banking on his own region, all thanks to Amaechi and Oshiomole. You might not really know this to be true if you stay in a place. Mynd44 mentioned the names of some of the Obas I didn't mention and you still believe it's a fable. GEJ would not have visited the S/W repeatedly if he had not seen the hand writing on the wall.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:35am On Mar 09, 2015
OLADD:

Newspaper stands? Gosh! So you base your judgement on gutter talks from newspaper stands? How many market women and farmers do you see converging at newspapers stands to discuss the outcome of elections? Don't bother to waste your data, just wait till election dates when you will know the scores.
Go to any market in the South West you will know that Jonathan has already lost. It is not uncommon for you to hear women in this part of the country, when listening to newspaper review (koko inu iwe iroyin) on radio when anything is being said about the President's re-election, for them to call it an impossible task.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by itetemi: 8:37am On Mar 09, 2015
OLADD:

ooni supported abacha, omisore, pls do Yoruba people care.if truly the so called ooni endorsement is recognised, pls why didn't, alafin, olubadan, soun of osogbo, rilwan akiolu, emir of kano, sultan of sokoto follow suit.

jokers.

4 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by MrEverest(m): 8:38am On Mar 09, 2015
Absolute truism!! I wonder if the abokis have thinking faculty at all. Buhari is officially 72 years, rumours have been flying around that he is far from being healthy, his frail appearance also leds credence to someone, that aside from age related ill-health, is suffering from some terminal disease. People who fail to learn from history are condemned to suffer a repeat of it. Yaradua is still fresh in our minds & the instability caused by his not unexpected demise is still rocking the Nigerian state today!! If the rumours of Buhari's ill health is true & he does a yaradua on us again, will the north accept Osinbajo who would be constitutionally backed to take over?? The Yorubas know this & are cunningly praying for it but the Hausa/Fulani, in their desperation reclaim Aso rock asap, seem to have lost their reasoning & objectivity. Sentiments aside, the north stands to gain with GEJ who will definitely handover to a young & virile northerner & all to loose should they go ahead & support a very risky & uncertain Buhari who may not be able to even complete his first tenure judging from the complex & demanding nature of Nigeria. Sule Lamido will be the ideal man for them & all Nigerians come 2019. A stitch in time saves nine!!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by itetemi: 8:38am On Mar 09, 2015
Mynd44:

Apart from the Ooni, which other prominent Yoruba King has been hanging out with the PDP?

You people don't know crap about the hierachy the Obas ooo.

The Ewi of Ado hates Fayose
The Deji of Akure does not want to see Mimiko
The Awujale is Tinubu's pal
The Oba of Lagos is well....lmao
The Alaafin even donated to the APC
The Onibadan

Name Obas in Yorubaland that are more influencial than these ones

you dey mind the clowns,even the soun of osogbo

4 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by itetemi: 8:41am On Mar 09, 2015
MrEverest:
Absolute truism!! I wonder if the abokis have thinking faculty at all. Buhari is officially 72 years, rumours have been flying around that he is far from being healthy, his frail appearance also leds credence to someone, that aside from age related ill-health, is suffering from some terminal disease. People who fail to learn from history are condemned to suffer a repeat of it. Yaradua is still fresh in our minds & the instability caused by his not unexpected demise is still rocking the Nigerian state today!! If the rumours of Buhari's ill health is true & he does a yaradua on us again, will the north accept Osinbajo who would be constitutionally backed to take over?? The Yorubas know this & are cunningly praying for it but the Hausa/Fulani, in their desperation reclaim Aso rock asap, seem to have lost their reasoning & objectivity. Sentiments aside, the north stands to gain with GEJ who will definitely handover to a young & virile northerner & all to loose should they go ahead & support a very risky & uncertain Buhari who may not be able to even complete his first tenure judging from the complex & demanding nature of Nigeria. Sule Lamido will be the ideal man for them & all Nigerians come 2019. A stitch in time saves nine!!!

jokers, only God knows if there will be a tomorrow.the north will rather take 2015.

13 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by Mynd44: 8:43am On Mar 09, 2015
itetemi:

you dey mind the clowns,even the soun of osogbo
I sit down and wonder where people get what they say/think from.

I look at the picture of the so-called blessings and I was sad.

1. The Ooni is the only Oba anyone recognises

2. Yoruba kings don't bless with their staff!!!. They bless with their Horsewhip (Irukele). The staff is used to enforce an order, summon, curse and banish. I can't have a Ypruba man point a staff at me and tell me he is blessing me. the Ooni is either playing a dangerous game or he does not know

10 Likes

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by igbsam(m): 9:14am On Mar 09, 2015
Indomie brain is here again.

1 Like

Re: Elections: North Has Miscalculated, Says Okupe by brightleave(m): 9:14am On Mar 09, 2015
alright!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ambode Inspects On-going Projects In Badagry (photos) / Anambra: Ekwueme Disowns Obiano, Endorses Obaze / FG Issues Order To NCC Over Data Deduction By Service Providers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.