Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? (19204 Views)

The Largest Religion In Nigeria? Islam Or Christianity? Detailed Analysis / Satanism or Christianity / Judaism Or Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Donfamous(m): 2:03pm On Jul 07, 2014
Matured answers please
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 07, 2014
Islam in the north.
Read on the Karnem-Borno empire.
Kano too.
Christianity came much later. The British didn't let missionaries into the North, because they already had a feudal system.

3 Likes

Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Donfamous(m): 3:43pm On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist: Islam in the north.
Read on the Karnem-Borno empire.
Kano too.
Christianity came much later. The British didn't let missionaries into the North, because they already had a feudal system.
found dis éducating thnx bro. But the British were present when the Muslims came to the north
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 07, 2014
Donfamous: found dis éducating thnx bro. But the British were present when the Muslims came to the north
No. The British came in the 19th century-- and annexed Lagos in 1841.
Borno empire was since 14th century.

Read these sites:
www.lonelyplanet.com/nigeria/history

and

www.onlinenigeria.com/politicalHistory.asp

1 Like

Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 07, 2014
None of them!

Both came before Nigeria existed.
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 07, 2014
striktlymi: None of them!

Technically speaking, you're correct. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by benny4wax(m): 4:51pm On Jul 07, 2014
^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^
.........YOU ARE ON POINT.......
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Samunique(m): 4:54pm On Jul 07, 2014
Islam had been in the SW(yoruba land) much early before Christianity and the amalgamation of southern and nothern protractrates which is called Nigeria.

Some even argue that it entered SW as early as 10th or 11th century through ilorin to oyo and also by the Arab traders.
If notice some of yoruba's dialects have little similarity with some Arabic terms. i.e. Al-barikah, alamisi( Thursday). Alaruba( Wednesday) ojo jimoh ( jimat) Friday. So Islam had come so much earlier than Christianity and had influenced some of the yoruba's languages. But Christianity entered much more later and started gaining ground in 18 to 19th century.

Besides, I'm a Christian, this is my humble submission and i stand to be corrected.

3 Likes

Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:08pm On Jul 07, 2014
Traditional Religion ofcuz

2 Likes

Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Rilwayne001: 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2014
PAGAN9JA: Traditional Religion ofcuz
undecided the op made no mention of traditional worshiper..

here is the question
" Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity ?

Go get ur glasses sir..
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Rilwayne001: 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2014
Apatheist:
No. The British came in the 19th century-- and annexed Lagos in 1841.
Borno empire was since 14th century.

Read these sites:
www.lonelyplanet.com/nigeria/history

and

www.onlinenigeria.com/politicalHistory.asp

Shikena
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Donfamous(m): 1:25pm On Jul 10, 2014
Samunique: Islam had been in the SW(yoruba land) much early before Christianity and the amalgamation of southern and nothern protractrates which is called Nigeria.

Some even argue that it entered SW as early as 10th or 11th century through ilorin to oyo and also by the Arab traders.
If notice some of yoruba's dialects have little similarity with some Arabic terms. i.e. Al-barikah, alamisi( Thursday). Alaruba( Wednesday) ojo jimoh ( jimat) Friday. So Islam had come so much earlier than Christianity and had influenced some of the yoruba's languages. But Christianity entered much more later and started gaining ground in 18 to 19th century.

Besides, I'm a Christian, this is my humble submission and i stand to be corrected.
so true
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by Donfamous(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
striktlymi: None of them!

lol. Funi but true
Re: Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? by gr8david(m): 4:00am On Nov 01, 2015
OK

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Sin / SSS Invitation Letter To Pastor Bakare(picture) / 5 Benefits Of Attending Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.