Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Investing In Block Industry - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Investing In Block Industry (7645 Views)

How Can I Get Contracts For My Block Industry Business In Abuja? / Cost Of Setting Up A Block Industry / How Much Does It Cost To Start A Block Industry Business? Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 08, 2014
Everyone of us knows what cement block is used for, but few of us know the money making potential that exist in the business of block making.

There is this woman, a neighbour who
lives just a stone throw from where I previously lived in Ikorodu area of Lagos State. We call her Iya Ibeji; she used to live from hand to mouth like every other woman in that area until about two and half years ago (as at march 2012) when she started a Block Industry in a piece of property (land) she rented nears her house.

At first no one take her seriously, people where wondering how could a woman with children run a Block Industry successfully, that is if there is
even a gain at all in it. People thought she would just fold up after some months, but that did not deter her from carrying on with her planned
project. As at the last time I checked, she had fully acquired the previously rented land from the owner, built three flats of two bedrooms each for
rent, renovated their previously dilapidated house, and bought a supply truck! All within two and half years of running the Block Industry.

The most interesting part of it all is that, she barely lift a finger. She is not the one mixing the cements, she is also not the one moulding the blocks, neither is she the one loading or offloading the blocks. All she does is supervise, while her money work for her. At the end of every working day, she will smile to the bank with thousands of Naira made from the business.

There are people living in that area who had more money than she does at that point in time when she started the business but none of them was thinking in that direction until she got it going. Today, she is the envy of everyone in that area including those who previously thought she was wasting her time.

You in your own part, it doesn't matter how much you have now, what really matters is the idea you have because without useful idea, the
money you have now may just go before you realize it, "money come and go on daily basis".

But if your idea is solid, the tiniest money in your hands can be turned into mega millions within a short time. And one of the business idea that
can do that for you right now is the idea of starting your own Block Industry in your area straight away! If you're ready to give it a try, here are the step by step how to go about it:

1. Acquire a Land

A 60 x 120 plot of land preferably in a new and developing site is very good, that will be able to accommodate your
blocks and other materials. If you can get something bigger, that will be better but a plot is just very OK. You can either buy or rent one, but buying is better!

Make sure the land is not a swampy area because, that will be affecting your block's dryness as the humidity wouldn't allow the block dry properly. Besides, vehicle may be sinking in
a swampy land thereby making your work more difficult. A dry land is my type of recommended property for setting up a Block Industry.

2. Buy Diesel Lister

This will be used to power your block moulding machine. There are single and double cylinders, go for the single
cylinder because the single one consume laser diesel and can power all your equipment effectively. You can use it to power your moulding
machine, your pumping machine and your generating set.

Make sure you get the original, if you don't know how to identify the original, take someone that knows the original along with you while going. Original ones work better, consume less diesel, make lesser noise, and last longer.

3. Sink a Well or Borehole

You need plenty of water in a Block Industry; apart from the water for mixing the sand and cements, you will need water to water the moulded block too. Blocks need to be watered a day after it was moulded to increase it's hardness.

Buying water will not be cost effective in doing all these, so the best choice that I recommend is to dig your own well or borehole. But if you can't,
then make do with buying water for the main-time.

4. Get a Block Moulding Machine

This is different from the Diesel Lister, it is the machine that moulds the blocks; they call it Vibrating Machine, that is the machine that make those noises you hear from block industry grin.

It is constructed locally by local welders who specialize in doing that. I've once accompanied my boss to buy it in Ibadan during those days
when I used to work in Block Industry. Lol!grin I'm not sure of what the price is now but I think together with the Lister wouldn't cost more that N250,000. Please ask the price from other Block Industry owners to avoid being short changed.

5. Construct the Wooden Block Carrier

That's the name I gave it, the wooden flat object used to carry the block from the moulding machine to the
drying point. It is constructed by The
Carpenters, usually one thousand or more in number.

Without it, nothing can be done, you need a very durable wood for it . They are very important, you can't mould the block on ordinary ground, it need to be seated on something and that is where the wooden block carrier comes in handy.

6. Employ Workers

Five workers are needed for one machine, One operator (the person who will be handling the machine). Two mixers, the mixer would be responsible to mix all the cements and sands that goes into the moulding machine.

Two carriers, the boys who would be carrying the block as it is moulded, from the moulding machine to the drying point. Then, a Driver and two Loaders, that will depend on whether you own your loading truck or it is rented. If you own your truck, then the driver and the two loaders will be your direct employee. But if you rent truck for your supply, in that case, you don't have control over the driver and
the loaders.

7. Set Up a Small Shed

A roofed shed where you will have the Lister and Molding machine set up and operated from. To avoid the machine being beaten by rain, you'll need a roof over it. There will be no wall, just four strong beam and
roof, that's all.

8. Get a Good Supply of Cement

Cement is your number one raw material, you will need it in good quantity as it is not advisable to buy
everyday. Your supply should be able to last for a week before going for another one. And not all types of cement are good for commercial block
production, you need the type that dries quickly such as Elephant, Dangote, etc.

Build a shop that you will use as store house and possibly sell to others too. Most of the Block Industry owners do sell cements, if you can afford enough supply you can sell too. Most times, you may get the cement suppliers who will supply you cement for credit and collect the money later if you're reliable.

9. Sand Supply

You need that too on a stand by! Three types of sand are needed: The sharp sand, the stone dust(for concrete block) which is residue from granite, and ordinary mud sand.

Three of them are mixed together with cement to come up with the commercial Block that is sold.

10. Diesel Supply

You will need about 25 to 30 litres of diesel to fire up your Lister machine
almost everyday depending on how long your machine work, and what and what it is used to power. In which ever case, you'd need a good and stand by supply of diesel as part of your raw material.

With all these in place, you are as good as a Block Industry owner, ready to start raking in millions. But, don't forget you'll need to do some form of marketing. However, in block business your number one marketing tools is quality; make sure you don't trade good quality for gain.

Live is involved too because, if your block aren't strong, the resultant house constructed with it wouldn't be strong as well, and you know what
that means... Don't over mix the cement with sand!

12 to 13 bags of cement is used everyday to produce 500 of 9inches blocks. If each of the blocks are sold for N140 as it is. 500 blocks will sell for N70,000 and the total expenses that will produce that number including the labourer's work cost is between N45,000 to N50,000.

When you subtract that from N70,000 your profit will be N20,000 to N25,000 daily. Multiply that by 30days, you will have N600,000 to N750,000 MONTHLY! There is even more profit with 6inches blocks!!

Should you venture into this business, don't forget to come back and share your testimonies, plus if you feel a need to reward the OP with cashgrin for sharing this info with you, please donate it to the orphanage nearest to you.

Wishing you all the best in your quest(s)

Source: wealthresult.com.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 09, 2014
Working on "Interlock Pavers" production. Will post it soon.
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 09, 2014
If you deal in cement-block moulding machinery, pls drop your specification(s), price and if possible picture(s).
Re: Investing In Block Industry by KolaShangOne(m): 3:01pm On Jul 10, 2014
I feel you @op. Its a very good idea.

1 Like

Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 10:17am On Jul 11, 2014
KolaShangOne: I feel you @op. Its a very good idea.
sure it is
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Ademat7(m): 11:32am On Jul 11, 2014
i have witness such biz spring up in my area in Ijoko-ota Ogun state,What i can add to it is that along the line in your business people will begin to entrust you with money to 1. help them buy land 2. help them develop their site 3. some will even ask you to help them sell their property 4. you will be asked to help them to source for building professionals such as builder,welder,cement and sand supplier,electrician e.t.c because some will be afraid to give you all the money or because they don't have all the money at once.
Re: Investing In Block Industry by grownaira: 9:12am On Jul 13, 2014
Nice one
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 3:15am On Jul 17, 2014
Ademat7: i have witness such biz spring up in my area in Ijoko-ota Ogun state,What i can add to it is that along the line in your business people will begin to entrust you with money to 1. help them buy land 2. help them develop their site 3. some will even ask you to help them sell their property 4. you will be asked to help them to source for building professionals such as builder,welder,cement and sand supplier,electrician e.t.c because some will be afraid to give you all the money or because they don't have all the money at once.
You are absolutely right sir
Re: Investing In Block Industry by grownaira: 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ademat7: i have witness such biz spring up in my area in Ijoko-ota Ogun state,What i can add to it is that along the line in your business people will begin to entrust you with money to 1. help them buy land 2. help them develop their site 3. some will even ask you to help them sell their property 4. you will be asked to help them to source for building professionals such as builder,welder,cement and sand supplier,electrician e.t.c because some will be afraid to give you all the money or because they don't have all the money at once.
wow
Re: Investing In Block Industry by HH(m): 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2014
absolutely nice. @ post do i need a project engineer to execute this business? thanks
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2014
HH: absolutely nice. @ post do i need a project engineer to execute this business? thanks
Look around you, if dia is someone into the business; that's who you need.
Re: Investing In Block Industry by HH(m): 5:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
agonbello: Look around you, if dia is someone into the business; that's who you need.

thanks bro. do you think N1m can set up this business assuming i have land.
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2014
HH:

thanks bro. do you think N1m can set up this business assuming i have land.
If you have land, yes it can. But you will have to be hiring the vehicle that will transport the blocks to customers.
The land you have, is dia a good source of water?
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Juliana7: 9:33am On Jul 18, 2014
@ op, awesome write-up, pls sir u did not state how many cement dat will be needed for 6 inches block that will produce 500 blocks, only gave us dat of 9 inches.
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 18, 2014
nice one. op

Cheers
Samuel
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 18, 2014
segzy14: nice one. op

Cheers
Samuel
Thank you sir. From your signature, you are into constructions. Can you please answer the question asked by @juliana7 ?

Cheers
Re: Investing In Block Industry by Ademat7(m): 1:01pm On Oct 13, 2016
Juliana7:
@ op, awesome write-up, pls sir u did not state how many cement dat will be needed for 6 inches block that will produce 500 blocks, only gave us dat of 9 inches.
Do u intend to establish the business.
Re: Investing In Block Industry by eyems: 10:34am On Mar 14, 2020
BLOCK INDUSTRY BUSINESS PLAN IS AVAILABLE
Re: Investing In Block Industry by joeyreports: 11:46am On Mar 20, 2020
You can now get a comprehensive block industry business plan now.... https://www.nigeriabusinessplan.com.ng/block-industry/
Re: Investing In Block Industry by jeyinmicool: 8:30pm On Sep 07, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Top 8 Challenges Encountered By Nigerian Entrepreneurs And Possible Solutions / How Long Does It Take CAC Business Name Registration Certificate To Be Ready? / Why Nigerian Entrepreneurs Should Invest In Agro Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.