Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches (1386564 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:48am On Apr 20, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, APRIL 14, 2016

SHARE BEYOND JOYS

"But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy" (1 Peter 4:13)

In life there are people who only want to share in the joys and triumphs of others, and never in their disappointments and hurdles. They call you friend when the going is smooth, but dissociate themselves from you when the going gets rough.

A story was told of two men who were journeying together. One of them picked up an axe abandoned on their path, and said, "I have found an axe." The other replied, "Nay, my friend, do not say, 'I', but 'we' have found an axe.'" They had not gone far before they saw the owner of the axe pursuing them, and he who picked up the axe said, "we are undone." "Nay," replied the other, "keep to your first mode of speech, my friend; what you thought right then, think right now. Say 'I', not, 'We are undone.'"

The way to get things done is not to mind who gets the credit for doing them. But rather, be consistent in your relationship with others, for only he who shares the danger ought to share the prize. Christ did it for you at Calvary.

Challenge: "Do not be among those who only share in the joys of others"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to be consistent in my relationship with others"

Quote: "Be ready to carry the mantle"

Further Reading: Romans 8:17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by bstringz(m): 3:39pm On Apr 20, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcck-CGbMzo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Watch this Amazing Group sing Living waters By JOYOUS celebration
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:04am On Apr 21, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, APRIL 15, 2016

MONEY AND RICHES

"The love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves" (1 Timothy 6:10)

In his book, Money Won't Make You Rich, Pastor Sunday Adelaja says, "Money is not necessarily wealth, so most people who desire to be rich are not necessarily looking for money. What they are actually looking for is wealth." This means that money pertains to the pocket while riches pertain to the spirit.

Even when you have much money but are poor in spirit, you are poor altogether. Do you know that money only comes to people who are already rich or wealthy in spirit and soul? Adelaja is right to say that it is actually not money that makes you rich – you are rich before money even comes your way.

"But seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33). Remember that money is deceptive and brings sorrow and regrets, but God enriches His own.

Challenge: "Money cannot make you rich"

Prayer: "Lord, help me not to put my trust in money but in heavenly riches"

Quote: "Money is deceptive"

Further Reading: Luke 16:9

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:36pm On Apr 27, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27, 2016

IRRESPONSIBILITY

"And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not" (Matthew 21:30)

The successful life of every boy or girl highly depends on his responsibility. A father always told his son that his irresponsibility and disrespect for innocent people on the streets were utterly shameful and were likely to follow him if he continued down that destructive path. But sadly, the teenager continued to disrespect his parents and other elders, thereby blocking his opportunity.

If you want to succeed in life, the sure path is through responsibility, respect and the fear of God. No opportunity for the irresponsible boy or girl. On the contrary, when you show respect for others, great opportunities come running after you. You must be aware of the life of the youthful Joseph in the Bible. He demonstrated responsibility and respect in his time as a youth. Consequently, he was rewarded with opportunities for greatness.

Borrow a leaf from Joseph by being dependable, consistent, diligent and available at all times.

Challenge: "Demonstrate responsibility and respect for everybody"

Prayer: "O God, rid me of every act of youthful irresponsibility"

Quote: "Available at all times"

Further Reading: Romans 5:19

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:06pm On Apr 29, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, APRIL 29, 2016

JOY OF SALVATION

"And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren" (Acts 15:3)

In his September 20, 1857 sermon, "Things that accompany Salvation, the 19th Century preacher, Charles Spurgeon, declared by inspiration that when one is saved, that experience in itself brings about joy.

The experience that a sinner who was doomed for destruction in eternal hell has found salvation and peace with God brings about joy and happiness. There is a uniform testimony among those genuinely saved that the joy of salvation keeps them going even in the face of the fiercest persecution and opposition, trials and temptations.

Joy is an inner stream which adverse circumstances cannot stop. If you are saved, the joy of salvation must be your experience; keep it and it shall be well with you.

Challenge: "Do you have the joy of salvation?"

Prayer: "Lord grant me the joy of salvation"

Quote: "The joy of the Lord is my strength"

Further Reading: Acts 8:5 - 8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:02pm On Apr 30, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, APRIL 30, 2016

THE DOOR IS SHUT

"Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, verily I say unto you, I know you not" (Matthew 25:11, 12)

A story was told of a student who went to the birthday party of his friend on the eve of his final examination. The well attended party lasted late into the night, so, he had no time to read and prepare for his paper coming up the next morning. His situation was compounded by the alcohol he drank; he got tipsy, got home late and slept off. When he finally got up and remembered, he rushed to school for his examination, he arrived late and the door was shut at him.

This is the story of many youths today, whose haphazard preparation in life fails them like the five foolish virgins in Christ's parable (Matthew 25:5) who were rejected by God for their lateness and were shut out.

Don't be in the family of perpetual latecomers to school, church or to your place of assignment Learn to manage your time properly. Remember, an adage says, "Punctuality is the soul of business."

Challenge: "There is gain in being prompt and punctual in life"

Prayer: "Help me, O Lord, to always be prompt and punctual"

Quote: "Manage your time properly"

Further Reading: Matthew 25:5

See more at:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:05pm On May 03, 2016
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MAY 3, 2016

Persevering Faith

"And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted" (Revelation 2:3)

According to vocabulary.com, "Perseverance" is not giving up. It is persistence and tenacity, the effort required to do something and keep doing it till the end, even if it's hard.

The Christian youth who would receive commendation from the Lord is one that continues to follow Him, even in the most difficult times. Jesus wants you to persevere in your commitment to being a disciple.

Don't give up. Don't allow any form of distraction from Satan and his agents. If even your parents reject you due to your Christian faith, don't let go or backslide. The good Lord will care for you. Others have persevered to the end. You can.

Challenge: "It's not an easy road but Jesus is with you"

Prayer: "Keep me through, Lord Jesus"

Quote: "Persevere in your commitment"

Further Reading: Romans 5:3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:08pm On May 04, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MAY 4, 2016

APOSTLE IN THE MAKING

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee: and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations" (Jeremiah 1:5)

The idiom "a child is the father of the man" sounds utterly illogical without considering the context of its meaning. It means that a person will have the same qualities as an adult that he or she had as a child. This is true of many great and notable people God used in Bible in the past, and is using in our contemporary time.

Moses was a goodly child, yet he was a stammerer who started responding to the impulse of saving the Hebrews as a youth. Also, the Spirit of God began to move Samson in the camp of Dan as a child. Though physically weak, Hudson Taylor started seeing the vision of the lost in faraway China. And Wigglesworth's battle with taciturnity, did not in any way scuttle his call as an apostle of faith.

Respond to the impulse and pull of God's calling in your life today. You are an Apostle in the making. So, do not interpret your impediment as impairment. Your vision today remains a tip of greater things ahead.

Challenge: "Recognise your positive vision for greater things ahead"

Prayer: "Help me, o Lord, to discover the purpose for my life"

Quote: "Respond to the impulse of God's call"

Further Reading: Acts 9:10 - 20

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:10am On May 06, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MAY 5, 2016

NEED AND GREED

"He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live" (Proverbs 15:27)

In a parable told, a man went for hunting and God helped him to catch an elephant. After shooting the elephant, he also found that his trap had caught an antelope. He was almost collapsing under the weight of the elephant on his head and the antelope strapped to his back. On their way home, he and his co-hunter, who had caught nothing, saw a grasshopper perching by the roadside. The man still struggled to overtake his friend so as to catch the grasshopper for himself.

This shows that most of the material things people spend sleepless nights to get are more driven by greed than need. Greed makes you want more than you can handle. Because of greed, you heap up unwanted things until you are forced to look for more space to keep them.

It doesn't pay to call yourself a rich man when others around you are wallowing in lack. Greed is self-destructive and unjust. So, allow God to meet your needs.

Challenge: "Why must you have more than you need when others don't?"

Prayer: "Lord, take away any tendency of greed from me"

Quote: "Greed is self-destructive"

Further Reading: Psalm 17:12; Proverbs 1:19; Isaiah 56:11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:22pm On May 06, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2016

ASPIRE TO GREATNESS

"And the LORD shall make thee the head, and not the tail" (Deuteronomy 28:13)

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said, "The heights great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but, they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night." This is a challenge to any youth who desires to attain his/her highest God given potential.

God has not created you to be a failure. His desire is that you will be the head and not the tail; above only and not beneath. You are created to succeed and live above mediocrity. Don't be satisfied with your present level of academic attainment. You are born to succeed, therefore arise and possess your possession. Strive for academic excellence by diligently attending lectures, executing and submitting your assignments promptly, asking questions on hazy areas, and adequately preparing for your examinations.

Study for knowledge and not merely to pass examinations. Above all, surrender your life to Christ and live for Him. He will grant you grace, wisdom, knowledge, and understanding to excel.

Challenge: "Ask God for wisdom to achieve greatness"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to be diligent in my life endeavours"

Quote: "Live Above Mediocrity"

Further Reading: Joshua 1:8; Proverbs 3: 5-7

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:15am On May 07, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2016

GENUINE REPENTANCE

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17)

According to Charles Spurgeon, "Another proof of the conquest of a soul for Christ will be found in a real change of life. If the man does not live differently from what he did before, both at home and abroad, his repentance needs to be repented of and his conversion is a fiction." This assertion is observable in Christendom even among youths.

Today, many youths claim to be Christians but in reality they are not Christ-like in character and conduct. Are you born-again? If you are, God expects you to live and serve Him in holiness and righteousness. You must shun the world and flee from all appearances of evil. Your new life must be different from your old life of sin.

Christ-like life is the main proof of genuine salvation. Be an example of believers in words, conversation, charity, spirit, faith and purity (1 Timothy 4:12). Witness for Christ among fellow students and your teachers. Live a consistent Christian life at home, school, and community, and God will uphold you to the end.

Challenge: "Live your life to the glory of God"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to live a consistent Christian life"

Quote: "Flee all appearances of evil"

Further Reading: Luke 6: 46 - 49

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:45am On May 08, 2016
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MAY 8, 2016

DEADLY DISTRACTIONS

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame"... (Hebrews 12:2)

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary describes distraction as something that takes one's attention from what he/she is doing or thinking about. Distractions come in different ways and from different sources. As a Christian youth, there are many 'good' things that might capture your attention and make you to lose your focus on Christ, and your academic pursuit.

Campus lifestyle of social parties, immoral relationships, negative internet activities, ungodly clubs and societies, and examination malpractices are inimical to your Christian profession and commitment to academic excellence. Our text admonishes you to focus on Jesus and take cue from Him.

Resolve to spend eternity with Christ in heaven. Shun every worldly distraction along your Christian pathway. Remain faithful to God, be diligent in all you do, and you will surely be rewarded spiritually, academically, and in every area of your life. Remember that the greatest thing in your life is to know God and to live for Him.

Challenge: "Help me Lord to avoid distractions in my Christian walk"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to avoid distractions in my Christian walk"

Quote: "Flee all appearances of evil"

Further Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:58

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:52pm On May 09, 2016
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MAY 9, 2016

PROFITABLE LIFE

"Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass" (Psalms 37:5)

Matthew Henry (1662-1714) was born into the godly home of Phillip and Katherine Henry of Broad-Oak. As a child, he enjoyed the advantages of a Christian home and family. He learnt to read the Bible at age three and at eleven he was converted. He studied at home having been denied admission into conventional schools as a non-conformist.

Matthew recognized the call of God to preach the gospel early in his life. He consecrated himself to the ministry, proclaiming the gospel at every opportunity. Despite several severe adversities, Matthew remained undaunted in his commitment to God and the ministry. At age forty, he began to assemble his numerous notes on the Bible. This translated into the present 'Matthew Henry's Commentary On The Whole Bible,' which is a big asset to Christendom. At age fifty two, 1714, Matthew died from an accident sustained while on a preaching tour.

What are you doing for God? Like Matthew Henry, resolve to live a profitable life in spite of any challenges. You will only be remembered by what you have done.

Challenge: "Render worthy service to God"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to wholly consecrate my life and service to you"

Quote: "Live a profitable life"

Further Reading: Psalms 37:4 - 5; Proverbs 16:3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:14am On May 10, 2016
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MAY 10, 2016

DANGEROUS PROCRASTINATION

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27)

A writer narrated his encounter with his cousin, James (not real name), who resisted the gospel for many years.

During one of James's visits, the gospel was presented to him again and he was urged to receive Christ. In response James said, "I would like to accept Jesus and join the church, but not yet. I live among people of other faiths. Unless I relocate, I will not be able to practise my faith well." James cited persecution, ridicule and peer pressure as excuses to postpone his decision for Christ. On further explanation of God's faithfulness and the danger of endless procrastination, James gave up his defenses and surrendered his life to Christ. What a happy ending!

Are you saved? If not, why not? The salvation of your soul should be a priority in your life. Like James, you might have been resisting the gospel message for long. Enough of the procrastination. Accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour today and escape the judgment of God.

Challenge: "Receive Christ as your Lord and Saviour today"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to repent and surrender my life to you"

Quote: "Escape God's judgment"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 6:2

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:05pm On May 11, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MAY 11, 2016

SOWING AND REAPING

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" (Galatians 6:7)

A common adage says, "Sow a thought, reap an act; sow an act, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny." The law of sowing and reaping is universal and applies to all spheres of life. Everyone, including youths reap what they sow. Youths who sow to sensual living will reap sorrow, pain, frustration, failure and spiritual damnation; while youths who sow to righteousness and obedience to God will reap joy , peace, success, prosperity and eternal life.

Beloved, do you know that your future is dependent on what you are sowing now? The choices you make today will affect your future, therefore, sow wisely.

In your academics, sow self-discipline, diligence, hard work and you will reap excellent results and an enviable career. In your moral life, sow self-control, godly character, moral integrity, and you will reap respect and honour. In your spiritual life, sow holiness, commitment and consecration to God, and you will reap all the promised blessings. Sow wisely and reap bountifully.

Challenge: "Be careful what you sow"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to sow wisely so that I can reap bountifully"

Quote: "Sow wisely"

Further Reading: Galatians 6:7 - 9

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:47pm On May 12, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MAY 12, 2016

UNPREDICTABLE LIFE

"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalms 90:12)

In the 2003 US Women's Open, Hilary Lunke stunned the sports world when she won the greatest prize in women's golf. She did not only win the US Open in an 18-hole playoff, but that was her only professional victory which gave her a place in the history of world sports.

Hilary's stunning victory demonstrates the unpredictability of sports. Also in the field of academics, Ben Carson rose from a near school drop out to a renowned world Neuro-Surgeon. This should be a challenge to every youth. Life is unpredictable. No one can predict his/her life with absolute certainty, except God.

As you make plans for your life, you must put God in the centre. He knows you beyond your predictions. His thoughts for you are thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Surrender your life to Christ today and live for Him. Depend wholly on God as you live your life, and He will guide you to reach your zenith in life.

Challenge: "Life is unpredictable, hand it over to God"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to surrender my self-will to you"

Quote: "Depend wholly on God"

Further Reading: Jeremiah 29: 11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:35pm On May 13, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MAY 13, 2016

NO IDOL WORSHIP

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3)

Commenting on idol worshipping, a Writer said: "Today, the worship of idols is as widespread as they were in the days gone by. In different continents, nation-states, communities and villages, people daily involve themselves in various forms of idol worship. While some worship graven images, money, fellow men and other material things, others are addicted to games.

It is usual to see believers who forego church services because of football match. By this, they give honour meant for God to Sports to the detriment of their souls." This is instructive to every youth. Our text warns that you must not worship any other god except the Almighty God. Whatever takes the place of God in your life is an idol.

Your appearance, dressing, appetite, social media, studies, work, games and sports can become idols in your life. Do not deny God of His central place in your heart and service. If you are involved in idol worshipping, repent today, renounce every idol in your life and surrender completely to God.

Challenge: "Worship no other god"

Prayer: "Deliver me from every form of idol worshipping O Lord"

Quote: "Renounce every idol"

Further Reading: Exodus 20:1 - 7

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:28am On May 14, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MAY 14, 2016

BE ANGRY AND SIN NOT

"Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil" (Ephesians 4:26, 27)

A writer said, "As I was reading the text message on my mobile phone, my temperature started to rise and my blood pressure began to boil. I was on the verge of shooting back a nasty message when an inner voice told me to cool down and reply tomorrow. The next morning after a good night's sleep, the issue that had upset me so greatly seemed so trivial. I had blown it out of proportion because I didn't want to put another person's interest before my own."

Are you always tempted to respond angrily to those who annoy you? "Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools" (Ecclesiastes 7:9). Always allow the Holy Spirit to minister to you and be ready to obey His promptings.

You can only have victory over anger if you yield your life completely to Christ and obey God in all situations. Remember, a soft answer turns away wrath so, when next you are tempted to respond angrily, respond softly, for that pleases God.

Challenge: "Yield yourself completely to God"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to yield to the control of the Holy Spirit always"

Quote: "Soft answer turns away wrath"

Further Reading: Ecclesiastes 7:8 - 9

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:31am On Jun 13, 2016
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JUNE 13, 2016

PRICELESS PEACE

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7)

There is indeed the peace that is beyond man's understanding. This is when one rests in the Lord in confidence that the Shepherd is in control of every situation in one's life. Even when there appears to be war, tumult, commotion and various challenges around you, you can go to sleep because you are sure the good Lord cares for you. To have this peace, you must be genuinely saved. Be a true child of God for He knows how best to care for Christians by allowing His peace to flood their hearts even in the midst of a battle.

Challenge: "Do you have peace?"

Prayer: "Flood my heart with your peace, Oh Lord"

Quote: "There is a peace like a river"

Further Reading: Isaiah 48:22

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:14am On Jun 17, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JUNE 17, 2016

DECOROUS DRESSING

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment" (Deuteronomy 22:5)

God cares about every aspect of the life of all Christian youth, including what they wear and how they wear them. Take a look at the verse from the Scripture: "And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot" (Proverbs 7:10). The woman in question does have a label on her, but what she is wearing reveals her ignoble profession.

What do your clothes reveal about you. You are what you wear. Today, many young people dress almost naked in the name of fashion. The Bible warns both genders: "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

Today, you can hardly tell who is a girl or a boy. This puts a lie to the assumption by some religious people that God is not concerned about our outward appearance. Rather, He wants us to be pure within and without. That is the only way not to be a hypocrite.

Challenge: "Watch what you wear"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from duplicity"

Quote: "You are what you wear"

Further Reading: Isaiah 3:16-24

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:54am On Jun 24, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JUNE 24, 2016

LIVING TO PLEASE HIM

"Whether therefore ye eat or drink or whatsoever do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)

No one can be a youth forever, because time passes on so swiftly and silently, that we are not always conscious of its passage. The brevity of this life cannot be overemphasised, for this is obvious to all mortals. But the question is, what are you dedicating this short life to? Is it not to achieve your goal?

Today's text declares clearly that we should do all things to please the Lord. This simply means that we should consciously live with eternity in view in all endeavours. The Bible says that we were created for the glory of God (Revelations 4:11). In your thoughts, words and actions, ensure that you do not grieve God's heart. Avoid exam malpractices, immoral conduct, repulsive attitude, foolish and disgraceful dressing, as well as foul language, for they do not please God.

To please the Lord, you must avoid evil companions and ungodly assemblies. Meditate daily on God's Word and seek to do His will.

Challenge: "Let your life reflect His glory"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to live for you"

Quote: "Avoid evil companions"

Further Reading: Psalm 1:1-5

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:40pm On Jun 29, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 29, 2016

TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE

"Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6: 2b)

A young girl was to travel by train to take entrance examinations in a nearby city. Minutes after leaving her home, she realised she had forgotten her identity card. She returned home to pick it up. She dashed back, but as she approached the railway station, she saw the train taking off. She missed the train and the exam.

Time is a huge factor in taking major decisions in life. Time flies; it waits for nobody. If there is any decision that deserves prompt response, it is the salvation of your soul. It is so precious that the Scripture warns that you should not delay in surrendering your life to Christ.

All you need to do is to acknowledge your sin, repent of them, and then accept Jesus as your Saviour. God is willing to forgive you and write down your name in the Book of Life. Ask for forgiveness of your sins today, and the Lord will have mercy on you in Jesus' name.

Challenge: "Why not come to Jesus now"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to be prompt in taking decisions"

Quote: "Accept Jesus as your Saviour"

Further Reading: Acts 2:37 - 39

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On Jun 30, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JUNE 30, 2016

THE PROFIT OF FOCUS

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the chain, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2)

A poet cautions in his writing that when the cares of life gather around any child of God, or he is disturbed by adverse weather and he does not know what to do, he should look up to his Creator. It is that upward look that frees the believer from discontent and strife.

Are you facing any challenge in your spiritual or secular life? As a principle of life, keep your eyes upon the Lord, no matter what may befall you. In other words, be focused, always looking unto Jesus.

Do not allow anything to move you from your focus, but keep in mind that looking up to Jesus is your way out of sorrow. You will have progress and success when you are focused. "The only reason men fail is broken focus," says Mike Murdock.

Challenge: "Look up and be lightened"

Prayer: "Lord, help me keep my eyes fixed upon You"

Quote: "Keep your eyes upon the Lord"

Further Reading: Philippians 2:8,9

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:59am On Jul 01, 2016
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JULY 1, 2016

THE BEST BOOK

"Unless thy law had been my delight, I should then have perished in mine affliction" (Psalm 119:92)

Much has been said about the timeless qualities of the Bible as a dependable guide, source of strength, comfort, inspiration, revelation of God and man's destiny. According to Mike Murdock, "The Bible is God's blueprint for mankind. It defines the purpose of creating, as well as His covenant to bless us."

Our text shows the great benefits which David derived from reading and meditating on God's Word. It kept him from destruction in the hands of his enemies such as King Saul. It is unfortunate that many young people have abandoned this best Book today. They give themselves over to the social media, sports and worldly music to the detriment of their souls. The Word of God is the antidote for sin and ruination.

Hence D. L. Moody said, "The scriptures were given not to increase our knowledge, but to change our lives." Read the Bible, believe and obey it to safeguard your temporal and eternal life. The Bible is our anchor in these tough times.

Challenge: "Your destinies depend on your attitude to the Bible"

Prayer: "Oh God, help me to obey your word always"

Quote: "The Word of God is the antidote for sin"

Further Reading: Psalm 119:1-16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:11pm On Jul 02, 2016
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JULY 2, 2016

KNEEL FOR HELP IN NEED

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16)

Some people describe prayer as a war, battle, fight or work. In war situations, nations kit out their armies with the best of weapons to defeat their enemies. Workers on the other hand work hard, using the best tools, for high productivity. The Christian however does not use physical weapons or tools in warfare. He puts on "the whole armour of God" and then uses prayer as a powerful resource to fight and win battles (Ephesians 6:10-18).

God fights for us. All we have to do is to kneel and pray. According to R. A. Torrey, "Anticipate your battles; fight them on your knees before the temptation comes and you will always have victory."

Beloved, take your needs through Jesus Christ, our High Priest and Mediator, to the throne of grace for help. Be it a problem of sin, sickness, oppression, failure or hardship; God helps more than an earthly father whose child cries to him.

Challenge: "Go to the "throne of Grace" for all you need"

Prayer: "Oh Lord, may I never neglect the place of prayer"

Quote: "God helps more than an earthly father"

Further Reading: Psalm 50:15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:43am On Jul 05, 2016
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JULY 3, 2016

FOLLOW CHRIST FOREVER

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him" (John 6:66)

No mentor is happy to see his mentee or protégé leaving him and an expected great future for the unknown. When a brilliant and promising student suddenly drops out of school for a wayward life, it saddens both teachers and parents.

In Christianity, there are cases of backsliders-boys and girls, as well as men and women-who have made a shipwreck of their faith. "The first step in departing from the Lord may be ever so slight, but one never knows where it will lead," says H. L. Heijkoop.

Do not follow Jesus temporarily; the King of kings is too great a Teacher, Master and Leader for that. Plato did not withdraw from his philosopher teacher, Socrates; neither did Aristotle withdraw from Plato, but followed faithfully and preserved his works. So, why should Christ's disciples withdraw from Him who has "the words of eternal life?" Great earthly and eternal rewards await all who follow Christ till the end.

Challenge: "Remember lot's wife"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to follow you till the end"

Quote: "Do not follow Jesus temporarily"

Further Reading: 2 Timothy 4: 6-8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:59am On Jul 07, 2016
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JULY 4, 2016

TIMELY NOTE TAKING

"And it was found written, that Mordecai had told of Bigthana and Teresh, two of the king's chamberlains, the keepers of the door, who sought to lay hand on the king Ahasuerus" (Esther 6: 2)

Robert G. LeTourneau, the notable American Christian industrialist, who manufactured almost 70% of the earthmoving machines and vehicles used during World War 11, was good at note taking.

On a certain occasion, as he was on a private jet flight, he slept off. However, he sometimes woke up, jotted down things in his notepad, and returned to sleep. When fully awake he never remembered jotting down anything. Such jottings helped this great inventor.

Note-taking aids students' concentration and makes permanent the ideas, facts and concepts discussed in class. Mordecai's act of loyalty probably would not have been remembered and rewarded by the king, but for the written record. Note taking is important for youths at school, in the Church and everywhere. Take notes! Don't operate phones or chat during services. Obtain a notepad and pen for jotting today.

Challenge: "Much is lost by not taking notes"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to concentrate in Church"

Quote: "Obtain a notepad and pen for jotting"

Further Reading: Habakkuk 2:2

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:52am On Jul 07, 2016
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JULY 5, 2016

BRING HIM YOUR BURDEN

"Come unto me, all ye that labour are and heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11: 28)

"It is man's unwillingness to learn and to obey God's Laws that has laid such a heavy burden on our souls," wrote Billy Graham. Our world is full of challenges that burden our souls. Often, young people fall into depression due to problems that they cannot appropriately handle, such as: academic failure, poverty, rejection, addiction to drugs and immoral practices.

However, in our text, Jesus declares Himself the burden bearer of all those who genuinely come to Him. Are your burdens unbearable? Jesus is able and willing to help you. The Samaritan woman, who could not keep to a man, burdened Nicodemus, the ruler, and Zaccheus, the corrupt public officer, all got help from Christ.

What is required of you is to accept Him as your Lord and Saviour today and your weeping will turn into joy. Remember, Peter's net caught a shoal of fish where he initially caught nothing, because Jesus stepped in. Jesus cares for you.

Challenge: "I cannot bear my burden alone"

Prayer: "Lord, I hand over my burden to you"

Quote: "Jesus cares for you"

Further Reading: Isaiah 10: 27

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:29am On Jul 07, 2016
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JULY 6, 2016

WORK! WORK! WORK!

"In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury" (Proverbs 14:23)

"To youth I have but three words of counsel-work, work, work," wrote Otto Von Bismark. Many youths fail in their academic pursuits or in their entrepreneurial efforts, not because of lack of ability but because they simply won't work hard. They have what it takes to excel in their pursuits.

The inspirational writer, Kevin Durant, captures this succinctly, "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard." Remove distractions and concentrate on your goal. Avoid "friends," and anything that would hinder you from hard work for success. You may be a star among your peers because you can talk, but that will not get your work done.

Always remember that no excuse for failure is good enough. Work hard and obey God's Word. If you are not yet born-again, whisper a prayer of repentance and invite Jesus into your heart. He will help you to succeed as you do your part by working hard.

Challenge: "Laziness leads to failure and disappointment"

Prayer: "Father, may you grant me the grace for hard work"

Quote: "No excuse for failure is good enough"

Further Reading: Proverbs 22:29

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — The Vine And The Branches by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:08am On Jul 21, 2016
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JULY 21, 2016

DISCIPLINE PAYS

"He openeth also their ear to discipline, and commandeth that they return from iniquity" (Job 36:10)

George Foreman was a two-time heavyweight boxing champion of the world. At the age of 45, he became the oldest man in the world to win the title.

He started his comeback by getting rid of his excess weight, after ballooning from 220 to 315 pounds. He got back into a daily exercise regimen. But because he was so out of shape, he could not run beyond a mile, before gasping for air. Everyone ridiculed him each time he slowly shuffled past their houses. Only two people believed he could recapture the title – he and his wife. But, proper diet and regular exercise helped George to finally regain his weight of 229 pounds, and he went ahead to win the championship title.

Something may be eating you up. All you need do is to discipline yourself to overcome your challenges. Your friends may ridicule and discourage you, but be resolute, if you know you are on the right track. Your own over-weight could be an inexplicable indulgence in immorality. Repent and the LORD will help you.

Challenge: "Be resolute, if you know you are on the right track"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to activate my talent"

Quote: "Discipline yourself"

Further Reading: 2 Kings 17:13; Job 33:16

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.