Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,058 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (50341 Views)

700+ Churches Shut Down By Government / Authorities Shut Down 700 Noisy Churches In Rwanda / Police Officers Storm "Noisy" Nigerian Church In Detroit USA, Dance With Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by honeric01(m): 9:52am On Aug 28, 2015
Lagos (AFP) - Authorities in Nigeria's financial capital Lagos have shut down churches across the city after a glut of complaints over noisy worship.

The chaotic megacity's environmental protection department said it had sealed off 22 premises on Wednesday after receiving dozens of calls a day, according to local newspaper reports.

Neighbours of one church -- Jesus Our Lord Divine Catholic Prayer Ministry -- said they were constantly disturbed by a congregation of mainly pregnant women, young mothers and their children.

"On my phone alone, I get 20 SMS on a daily basis," said Adebola Shabi, head of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, according to the national daily New Telegraph.

"In the next five years, if there is no stringent policy on the siting of religious houses, there will be problem."

Constant noise -- from the the thumping beats of loud music, the beep of car horns and the noise of generator engines -- is the soundtrack to Lagos life and is seen by many as part of its charm.

But residents are complaining in unprecedented numbers that they can barely hear themselves think among the churches and mosques where giant loudspeakers pump out religious messages and music.

Officials receive around 50 telephone calls and 20 text messages a day complaining about noise, mostly from churches, the New Telegraph said.

"With the enforcement today, we would have sealed about 55 premises because the last enforcement we carried out, we shut 33 premises," Shabi told reporters.

"I gave approval for closure of 22 premises today, making 55."

Religion is big business in Lagos, a city of around 20 million which has seen more than 6,000 traditional and alternative places of worship spring up in recent years, according to the authorities.

Shabi said the churches would be allowed to reopen after paying fines starting at 50,000 naira ($250, 225 euros).

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-shuts-down-churches-over-noisy-worship-142621276.html

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Arbiola(f): 9:54am On Aug 28, 2015
End Time Signs oh...Before u know,they'll stop us from from going to church... Iránu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not Clubhouses?
Why churches?

Shutting down churches for the benefit of their pocket,will never make this country a better place.

52 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by ammyluv2002(f): 9:58am On Aug 28, 2015
Well, do i blame the Government? No!

The rate at which pastors establish churches today is very alarming & disturbing. They should be checked

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by mutiply: 10:03am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
End Time Signs oh...Before u know,they'll stop us from from going to church... Iránu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am so dissapionted by this post of yours. If you are living close to this churches, you will understand what others are facing.

162 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by ammyluv2002(f): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Nothing like "end time" here! Come to my area, you will see like 5 churches on one street, who will attend those five churches?

They won't allow you enjoy your evening and every last friday of the month na die

I'm a proud Christian but i think, they should be checked.

133 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Upnepaa(m): 10:08am On Aug 28, 2015
no difference between Nigerian churches and night clubs,mad speakers,disco light and hot ladies as ushers/choir.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Arbiola(f): 10:08am On Aug 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Nothing like "end time" here! Come to Abuja, you will see like 5 churches in one street, who go attend those five churches?

They won't allow you enjoy your evening and every last friday of the month na die

I'm a proud Christian but i think, they should be checked.
Dear,the major reason God sent us to earth,is to broadcast,evangelize and the most important,win souls to his kingdom...... Why don't they go and shut down all those club houses... Why Churches?
For all I care,all the houses in Nigeria could be demolished, and churches built.... What Nigeria really needs now is Prayer,Prayer and Prayer!!!!!!

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by ammyluv2002(f): 10:14am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Dear,the major reason God sent us to earth,is to broadcast,evangelize and the most important,win souls to his kingdom...... Why don't they go and shut down all those club houses... Why Churches?
Yes, i know! It's not the number of churches we have that will make us win souls for God.

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Arbiola(f): 10:17am On Aug 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Yes, i know! It's not the number of churches we have that will make us win souls for God.
Church is also an avenue through which souls are won.... Shutting down churches for the benefit of their pocket,will never make this country a better place.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by johnydon22(m): 10:19am On Aug 28, 2015
[b]In my sister's neighbourhood in Umuahia there were up to 10churches all packed within a yard of each other.

The noise and bangs from bands and loud speakers were deafening. . the worst of it all is that the churches were all located next to each other and one could not help but wonder how they hear what the pastors are saying with all the noise,;bangs and shouts coming from the other churches .

My sister's neighbourhood was a sleep Armageddon cus sleeping in the night was another story from the noise of night vigils at night.

Sundays were more noisy than bombs sounding in the war front and one can't even discern what exactly they are saying because all the noise, bangs and shouts are mixed up.

I highly commend the government and hope they do more to tone down such noise pollutions, am sure we have this thing called "Noise pollution"

Everyone has the right to worship as they deem fit but one should always consider when your right becomes a problem for other people and a detriment to their own rights.

We are all part of the society and each of our actions has effects (positive or negative) on others
[/b]

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by ammyluv2002(f): 10:20am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Church is also an avenue through which souls are won.... Shutting down churches for the benefit of their pocket,will never make this country a better place.
They are not shutting down Churches generally . Maybe one per a street isn't bad,

5 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Arbiola(f): 10:25am On Aug 28, 2015
ammyluv2002:
They are not shutting down Churches generally . Maybe one per a street isn't bad,
I know. It's ok
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Jozzy4: 10:29am On Aug 28, 2015
This churches are embarassing themselves , why the Noise ? God knows your thoughts and could hear you even if u speak with your mind .

The most embarassing is the so - called Night Vigil , some of them will disturb one's sleep with their Noise .

16 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Samunique(m): 10:33am On Aug 28, 2015
I think there should be a law banning the use of meggaphone ( external loud speakers) bcs shutting churches and getting them to pay fine may lead to chaos in the state considering our level of religiousity in naija.

However, i wouldn't want my fellow Christians to see this as an attack on the church but rather as a way to put our excesses in check as God's people who are commanded to be moderate in and peaceful in all things.

Follow peace with all men...

You are the light of the world, peace ambassadors!!!

Shallom !!!

28 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 28, 2015
I am a Christian. But this is a welcome development.

Christians should be considerate.

Churches should be sound proof. But it should also be the same for club houses.

Anyone who lives around 3rd avenue in Gwarimpa will know what I'm talking about.

The churches there have no chill whatsoever and it is inconsiderate.

My own church is soundproof since its at the heart of Wuse 2.

Let's not be sentimental but considerate.

But this should not be made to look like a persecution on Churches, it should extend to club houses and Mosques as well. The speakers when Muslims are calling prayer is #epic

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by lekjons(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2015
somehow, i can't blame them, all those loud speakers noise can't reach 1/4 of heaven(as some pastors'll say shout, let our father in heaven hear)..
jehovah's witness has many congregatins still u won't notice them

20 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Hysmady(m): 10:36am On Aug 28, 2015
I adhere this move...Every house wanna have church
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by kennyman2000(m): 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
Okay..
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by walemadu: 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
mosques make noise 5 times a day. and none gets shut?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by shizzy7(f): 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
So many churches everywhere,
There are 5 churches on my street,,
Tax them!!!
5 out of 10 Richest pastors in the world Are Nigerians..

I hope Fireman's Church has been shot also

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by allanphash7(m): 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
I love this development

More will still be shut down completely

1 Like

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Why not Clubhouses?
Why churches?

Shutting down churches for the benefit of their pocket,will never make this country a better place.

Have you Nigerians considered building buildings that are soundproof....so that the noise won't disturb the neighbours.?

Noise pollution is a serious health problem.

3 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
nice move,

a country with the highest number of churches and mosques, yet the most corrupt.

where people cant keep their environment clean to avoid mosquitoes, but be praying for a deity to remove malaria.

a country that waste millions to sponsor religious pilgrimages, but local primary school pupils sit on the floor to learn

shame!!

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by stinggy(m): 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
Good news!

Remains the AG church at my backyard. Their choirs won't do rehearsals in the daytime until around 8pm and through into the night when others should be sleeping. Even the pastor slates deliverance services to late hours.
The nearby mosque has tuned low its speakers, but trust christains, they'll readily label you anti-christ if you try to hold a reasonable chat with them on the noise.

Great news! We're on our way back to sanity cool

8 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Olayinka8793(m): 10:37am On Aug 28, 2015
Reminds me of one small white garment church fond of loud singing and worship opposite my house,the landlord of the premise whose house was beside the church was having a nap in the veranda one afternoon when the church started its loud worship,waking him up in the process,he was so enraged,been a very a no nonsense man,he made sure they vacate the premise the next day.

1 Like

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by eleko1: 10:38am On Aug 28, 2015
Gud one.This is why I like Deeper life/Jehovah witness Church.They do their thing devoid of rolling,crying/make noise.God ear isn't deaf/dumb dat he can't hear.And alhamudulai!,dos mosque hadly make noise again

4 Likes

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by mytime24(f): 10:38am On Aug 28, 2015
K

1 Like

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by thoollz: 10:39am On Aug 28, 2015
I'm in full support of this. We have the highest number of churches in the world, having as much as 7 churches per street using that to disturb innocent residents of that area.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by youngwarlocks: 10:39am On Aug 28, 2015
Na wa o....buhari is working sha
Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by johnydon22(m): 10:39am On Aug 28, 2015
Arbiola:
Why not Clubhouses?
Why churches?

because club houses do not disturb others with their own music. . . the music is only heard inside the house

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 28, 2015
Lol...it's about that time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State by djembadjemba: 10:40am On Aug 28, 2015
angry I support this decision. Its really annoying if one can't sleep peacefully in his own home. More churches should be shut down permanently!!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Shocking Bible Verses On Ponzi Schemes And Fraud / My ATM Card's Security Code Is 666 / How Has Prophet TB Joshua's Ministry Touched Your Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.