Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,567 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. (1883 Views)

Letter To President Buhari Warns Against EFCC Boss Lamorde And Senator Akpabio / The Nigeria Army is Slowly But Steadily Destroying Boko Haram. / PHCN : The Darkness Is Slowly Creeping Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by SamIkenna: 5:18am On Jul 10, 2014
It seems Nigeria's day of reckoning came unannounced, especially for the Core Northerners. From the day GEJ authorized the conference of Nigerian peoples the Junaids, Angos, and Bugajes of the core North went on a calculated offensive overdrive to intimidate and/or derail the meeting. When their 'hot air' failed to ignite they reluctantly showed face. However, this sharp 180 banking or what my granny used to call 'about-turn' wouldn't have been possible were it not for their unshakable belief in the potency of their usual and time-tested weapon of obstruction. They believed they could shoot every recommendation, good or bad, down just as they've done in the national assembly and military supreme council since October 1, 1960. But to the shock of everyone, especially when it seemed the south had lost their mojo, voila! 18 new states, upward review of 13% derivation, removal of 3rd tier of Govt, and state police made a clean landing. The north which had initially pushed for downward review of 13% in the committee level is now running from pillar to post like they did when Banks were consolidated and no Northern bank survived. They now realized they've wasted valuable time fighting others' initiatives rather than coming up with their own. I guess the current Core North's situation is aptly summarized in the saying that one day guy-man go die for foolish-man's backyard.

Having failed in their bid to kill the conference before it began, their new mantra, I suppose, is now being echoed by one Professor Auwalu Yadudu of Kano State. To the 'eminent' professor, referendum is too 'hot' to touch. He's warning us to stay away from referendum because 'its bad' for us, Lol. Wow! Do this people think we're dumb? Its like someone telling you - don't vote! Its bad for you! You can vote and get a bad person elected!

Lord have mercy.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from sunnewsonline.com
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=71510

Delegates were yesterday divided over modalities to be adopted in implementing the recommendations of the Conference. Some delegates advocated that the reports should be subjected to a referendum while others believe it is not the duty of the Conference to decide that.

Making his contribution, Senator Musa Adede, representing South-south, said there were issues and items that bordered on policy, which President Goodluck Jonathan should begin to implement immediately, adding that those recommendations that relate to constitutional matters should be forwarded to the National Assembly to make the necessary changes.

On her own, a female delegate, Josephine Anenih, reminded the delegates of President Jonathan’s inaugural speech that peoples’ views must be heard.

She added that the president has given the Conference a task to decide the fate of the Conference final reports.

“I will recommend that we patriotically articulate and gather our people’s thoughts. Having done that, I do not think we should shy away from what we should come up with, as a team that will draft a constitution, which we will also present to the president to do the needful,” Anenih said.

Adekanbi Ayodele, representing persons with disabilities, said the Conference was put in place to dialogue and find solutions to Nigeria’s problems, adding that it will be a waste of time if the outcome was not taken to Nigerians through a referendum.

He said if the report was taken to the National Assembly, “they may remove certain aspects that affect them or the governors, who often control lawmakers.”

Similarly, Mrs. Olusola Obada said all matters of policy should be collated and sent to the president while constitutional matters, which are ongoing issues should be forwarded to Nigerians for a referendum.

Mr. Isaac Igbure voted for a referendum saying, “the National Conference is bigger than the National Assembly.”

Meanwhile, Kano State delegate, Professor Auwalu Yadudu shocked his fellow delegates when he accused them of suffering from delusion in their contributions.

While contributing on how the final reports should be treated, he cautioned delegates to be careful on their call for a referendum.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 10, 2014
SamIkenna: It seems Nigeria's day of reckoning came unannounced, especially for the Core Northerners. From the day GEJ authorized the conference of Nigerian peoples the Junaids, Angos, and Bugajes of the core North went on a calculated offensive overdrive to intimidate and/or derail the meeting. When their 'hot air' failed to ignite they reluctantly showed face. However, this sharp 180 banking or what my granny used to call 'about-turn' wouldn't have been possible were it not for their unshakable belief in the potency of their usual and time-tested weapon of obstruction. They believed they could shoot every recommendation, good or bad, down just as they've done in the national assembly and military supreme council since October 1, 1960. But to the shock of everyone, especially when it seemed the south had lost their mojo, voila! 18 new states, upward review of 13% derivation, removal of 3rd tier of Govt, and state police made a clean landing. The north which had initially pushed for downward review of 13% in the committee level is now running from pillar to post like they did when Banks were consolidated and no Northern bank survived. They now realized they've wasted valuable time fighting others' initiatives rather than coming up with their own. I guess the current Core North's situation is aptly summarized in the saying that one day guy-man go die for foolish-man's backyard.

Having failed in their bid to kill the conference before it began, their new mantra, I suppose, is now being echoed by one Professor Auwalu Yadudu of Kano State. To the 'eminent' professor, referendum is too 'hot' to touch. He's warning us to stay away from referendum because 'its bad' for us, Lol. Wow! Do this people think we're dumb? Its like someone telling you - don't vote! Its bad for you! You can vote and get a bad person elected!

Lord have mercy.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from sunnewsonline.com
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=71510

Delegates were yesterday divided over modalities to be adopted in implementing the recommendations of the Conference. Some delegates advocated that the reports should be subjected to a referendum while others believe it is not the duty of the Conference to decide that.

Making his contribution, Senator Musa Adede, representing South-south, said there were issues and items that bordered on policy, which President Goodluck Jonathan should begin to implement immediately, adding that those recommendations that relate to constitutional matters should be forwarded to the National Assembly to make the necessary changes.

On her own, a female delegate, Josephine Anenih, reminded the delegates of President Jonathan’s inaugural speech that peoples’ views must be heard.

She added that the president has given the Conference a task to decide the fate of the Conference final reports.

“I will recommend that we patriotically articulate and gather our people’s thoughts. Having done that, I do not think we should shy away from what we should come up with, as a team that will draft a constitution, which we will also present to the president to do the needful,” Anenih said.

Adekanbi Ayodele, representing persons with disabilities, said the Conference was put in place to dialogue and find solutions to Nigeria’s problems, adding that it will be a waste of time if the outcome was not taken to Nigerians through a referendum.

He said if the report was taken to the National Assembly, “they may remove certain aspects that affect them or the governors, who often control lawmakers.”

Similarly, Mrs. Olusola Obada said all matters of policy should be collated and sent to the president while constitutional matters, which are ongoing issues should be forwarded to Nigerians for a referendum.

Mr. Isaac Igbure voted for a referendum saying, “the National Conference is bigger than the National Assembly.”

Meanwhile, Kano State delegate, Professor Auwalu Yadudu shocked his fellow delegates when he accused them of suffering from delusion in their contributions.

While contributing on how the final reports should be treated, he cautioned delegates to be careful on their call for a referendum.
to hell with them..if they aint ok with the resolutions which i believe are stll unfair to the south,they shud quit da scene n declare their own arewa republic..
5% increase in derivation is unfair to n gross injustice to da oil bearing states. The 5% proposed for so called development of da north east shud be rejected. Wheres d money gonna come from n must the south bear all d burden of the north forever? Thats purely untenable.
#split nigeria now.

3 Likes

Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by Chilug(m): 8:24am On Jul 10, 2014
Its the north and their usual Phd. Pull him down syndrome. And d will keep falling instead.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by VICTORCIZA(m): 8:28am On Jul 10, 2014
ok watching from afar as it unfold
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 10, 2014
u guys gotta pardon me,i mistakengly ''quoted'' da op..pardon
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by Idrismusty97(m): 9:04am On Jul 10, 2014
Is Professor Auwalu Yadudu North? Besides since the article said he "cautioned" delegates. He must have a reason, Why is the reasons excluded from the article?

Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by dgitrader(m): 9:37am On Jul 10, 2014
the north got it wrong right from the inception by going in to scuttle any fundermental structural changes, while their sw, se, and ss counterparts were well intended and prepared for changes. the north brought nothing to the table, rather came on the full defensive. its pathetic.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 10, 2014
Rexxie: u guys gotta pardon me,i mistakengly ''quoted'' da op..pardon
go correct it.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by PointB: 10:24am On Jul 10, 2014
dgitrader: the north got it wrong right from the inception by going in to scuttle any fundermental structural changes, while their sw, se, and ss counterparts were well intended and prepared for changes. the north brought nothing to the table, rather came on the full defensive. its pathetic.

(Un)fortunately that's the case.

When a team (Core North) set out mainly to defend, while another (South) prepare for both attack and defence, the one that set out to attack may eventually score a goal or two. Being being perpetually on the defensible in this national conference, the Core North will definitely lose a lot of grounds, and that's what's happened!

Chinks in their amours have been brutally exposed, Nigeria will never be the same again!
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by SamIkenna: 1:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
dgitrader: the north got it wrong right from the inception by going in to scuttle any fundermental structural changes, while their sw, se, and ss counterparts were well intended and prepared for changes. the north brought nothing to the table, rather came on the full defensive. its pathetic.

I wonder if they thought and still continue to think we're blind to the obvious. If after 50 years+ as an independent nation all we could show are bunch of cyclical murderers who come by the names of Maitasine, Boko Haram, Ansaru, and other un-named violent religious zealots in secondary and Almajiri schools who take delight in setting their southern christian teachers and NYSC students on fire during exams and/or elections, then why not try something different? Even though the current political structure favors the core north, a closer appraisal of it indicates its unsustainable and more detrimental to them on a long term. At any rate, Nigeria is determined to change whether Professor Auwalu Yadudu and his Junaid and Ango gang like it or not. If they think the change is too bad or too sudden for them they can always shout Araba and save us the remaining Boko Haram nightmare.

3 Likes

Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by atlwireles: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
SamIkenna:

I wonder if they thought and still continue to think we're blind to the obvious. If after 50 years+ as an independent nation all we could show are bunch of cyclical murderers who come by the names of Maitasine, Boko Haram, Ansaru, and other un-named violent religious zealots in secondary and Almajiri schools who take delight in setting their southern christian teachers and NYSC students on fire during exams and/or elections, then why not try something different? Even though the current political structure favors the core north, a closer appraisal of it indicates its unsustainable and more detrimental to them on a long term. At any rate, Nigeria is determined to change whether Professor Auwalu Yadudu and his Junaid and Ango gang like it or not. If they think the change is too bad or too sudden for them they can always shout Araba and save us the remaining Boko Haram nightmare.

That is now clear to them.

1 Like

Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by dgitrader(m): 1:57pm On Jul 10, 2014
SamIkenna:

dont be too quick to assume the south is having d needed change. the last card on the north's table is truancation of the conference final outcome, EITHER BY REFERENDOM OR NATIONAL ASSEMBLE.
this they will achieve with block voting and readily available conspirators all over the south. the conference will be disguised as a vote of confidence on GEJ, just wait and see.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by EmeeNaka: 1:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
I support the stand of Chief Olusola Erelu Obada. Let the policy matters be sent to President and constitutional matters be subjected to referendum.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by EmeeNaka: 2:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
dgitrader:

dont be too quick to assume the south is having d needed change. the last card on the north's table is truancation of the conference final outcome, EITHER BY REFERENDOM OR NATIONAL ASSEMBLE.
this they will achieve with block voting and readily available conspirators all over the south. the conference will be disguised as a vote of confidence on GEJ, just wait and see.
it will be very hard for the outcome of a National conference to be truncated easily through Referendum and that is why the Core North is afraid of it. A referendum will be organised by INEC and the result will be produce by INEC and mind you,INEC is not totally independent.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by dgitrader(m): 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
PointB:

(Un)fortunately that's the case.

When a team (Core North) set out mainly to defend, while another (South) prepare for both attack and defence, the one that set out to attack may eventually score a goal or two. Being being perpetually on the defensible in this national conference, the Core North will definitely lose a lot of grounds, and that's what's happened!

Chinks in their amours have been brutally exposed, Nigeria will never be the same again!

they have a plan B

if u remember the nothern delegates meeting held earliar in KD, the key speaker reminded them that they either decline attending d conference or decline whatever its outcome shall be, all because they(north) are at their weakest political point ever in d history of nigeria
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by SamIkenna: 2:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
dgitrader:

I get your point. But let's look at it this way: If the conference's recommendation is subjected to referendum in its current form (that is, without the 5% northern intervention Boko haram inducing fund), I guarantee you the votes for it would be similar to the map of Nigeria we all saw when GEJ was elected. The slight difference this time will be Osun State joining the wagon. Think about the 18 new states and state police in the recommendation - that's enough juice to get people fired up. Bugajes and Junaids know this and my gut tells me they will adopt the kitchen-sink to make sure referendum never happens.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by dgitrader(m): 2:19pm On Jul 10, 2014
EmeeNaka: it will be very hard for the outcome of a National conference to be truncated easily through Referendum and that is why the Core North is afraid of it. A referendum will be organised by INEC and the result will be produce by INEC and mind you,INEC is not totally independent.

referendum? if u think the south can produce 51% majority vote, go and study the pattern of arguements of delegates from lagos, plateaue, kogi, taraba, nassarawa, and even benue on critical federating and revenue topics, and retink your position.
SamIkenna:
I get your point. But let's look at it this way: If the conference's recommendation is subjected to referendum in its current form (that is, without the 5% northern intervention Boko haram inducing fund), I guarantee you the votes for it would be similar to the map of Nigeria we all saw when GEJ was elected. The slight difference this time will be Osun State joining the wagon. Think about the 18 new states and state police in the recommendation - that's enough juice to get people fired up. Bugajes and Junaids know this and my gut tells me they will adopt the kitchen-sink to make sure referendum never happens.
EmeeNaka: it will be very hard for the outcome of a National conference to be truncated easily through Referendum and that is why the Core North is afraid of it. A referendum will be organised by INEC and the result will be produce by INEC and mind you,INEC is not totally independent.

referendum? if u think the south can produce 51% majority vote, go and study the pattern of arguements of delegates from lagos, plateaue, kogi, taraba, nassarawa, and even benue on critical federating and revenue topics, and retink your position.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by nduchucks: 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2014
sigh
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by SamIkenna: 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2014
dgitrader:

they have a plan B

if u remember the nothern delegates meeting held earliar in KD, the key speaker reminded them that they either decline attending d conference or decline whatever its outcome shall be, all because they(north) are at their weakest political point ever in d history of nigeria

They would be signing their final ARABA will/declaration if they decided not to participate in referendum. That would galvanize the south and some middle-belters to call their bluff. Nigeria wants to change structurally and it must be allowed to do so or it'll fall like a pack of cards. For long we've been hearing how 70% landmass and oil belongs to the north. They've lied to their people for too long. Today hopefully, the ordinary man in the core north now knows he owns no oil just like his counterpart in Ebonyi and Ekiti accepted long ago.
Re: North Warns Against Referendum. Nigeria Is Slowly Unraveling. by SamIkenna: 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
dgitrader:

Middle Belt people will get more states and state police. State police manned by their own men and women is essential if they expect to survive Nigeria. They can throw away state police and 2 more states and continue to wait for a compromised Nigeria security to stop the Jihadists from exterminating them. The outcome of this convo, as little as it may be, will go a long way in giving us a taste of what our collective future looks like.

Nigeria is and will always have cracks along its fault-lines. The core North can help put a gaping hole in it by shunning in referendum. The choice is theirs.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Arms Smuggling Jet Caught In South Africa Linked To CAN President / Stolen Goods From Malls In Sa Heading To Nigeria / Buhari Spoken English, Age And Lack Of Certificate Is Enough To Disqualify Him.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.