Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,330 members, 7,867,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 07:34 AM

Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} (30511 Views)

The 100+ Most Beautiful And Breathtaking Places In The World (pictures) / 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria / 11 Most Developed Towns/cities In The SE. Which Is The Most Beautiful?(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by 50calibre(m): 2:20pm On Jul 13, 2014
The pics of Tokyo are of better quality than the rest though I agree its one of the most beautiful places on the planet & also one of the most expensive.

Most cities in Europe though beautiful, they just look bland & ancient so if ancient history is your thing, then look no further than Europe. You see buildings from way back, still standing take Rome as an example, the Colosseum is probably their biggest historical landmark (dating back to the Roman Empire) & it's still standing till today.

If you want to see more modern 20th & 21st century layout & architectural designs, look outside Europe to places like Asia & America.

Funny thing is people outside Europe die for European culture & heritage especially Americans.

Lagos can be one the greatest cities on the planet (in terms of positives, not things like population) but decades of corruption & bad governance has hindered it from reaching its potential. Lagos is a sleeping giant!!

2 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by RANDY1: 2:20pm On Jul 13, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by JayKayMaybachz(m): 2:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
Op Wey Aba & Ebonyi ? undecided undecided
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 2:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
for me, i am just posting the cities i love and have been to. i live in düsseldorf Germany,a cool lovely city in west Germany. i also love frankfurt. i just love the atmosphere there. all German cities are clean and wounderfully structured. and everything is of high quality, road, cars, houses. i wish Nigerian government can learn from Germans.

3 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
RANDY1: I love what this Poster had to say below .
And
I will also add : the best cities in the world in no particular order are 1. New York 2. Chicago 3. Los Angeles 4. Seattle 5. Las Vegas 6. Miami 7.Houston 8.Dallas 9.San francisco 10. Denver 11.Phoenix 12. Atlanta 13. San Antonio 14. Minneapolis 15. Indianapolis 16. Boston 17. Kansas City 18. Portland 19. Orlando 20. Edmonton 21. Toronto 22. Montreal 23. Vancouver 24. Calgary
others : London england , Tokyo Japan, Sydney Australia, Hong Kong, Frankfurt Germany, Dubai UAE ,Shanghai China , Madrid Spain ,Cape Town/Johannesburg South Africa .
you edited someone's post. Why change 100 to 500? And man the subject of this thread says "major" i don't know where you got your 'best from. Btw....I see you're obsess with America. Where did you pull these garbage from?
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by RANDY1: 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by yinkuscious(m): 2:58pm On Jul 13, 2014
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
most of all thoses cities you people rang first is poluted, over populated cities where there are very big difference between the rich and poor. world mega cities should be city with good quality of living. its not all about sky scrapers and shinning light. in best quality of life many Europe cities are in top 1-10. with 3 German cities with the first top 10.

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 3:11pm On Jul 13, 2014
World's 20 Best Places To Live

In 1999, when Austrians elected the far-right Freedom Party (FPO) to second position in parliament, it brought on sanctions from the European Union based on fears of what happened the last time a nationalist party had control of that country back in the 1930s and 1940s. That’s when Austria was mired in uncertainty about its direction and place within the E.U., and social norms were upset by the FPO’s hard-line anti-immigration, Austria-first agenda.

It certainly wasn’t the best time to live in the nation’s capital, Vienna.

In Depth: World’s 20 Best Places To Live

Yet 10 years later, with those internal and external conflicts firmly in the past, Vienna is again noted first for its arts and cultural institutions like its famed opera house, parks and continental architecture that line the Danube. Skies are so sunny that international human resource consulting company Mercer ranks Vienna No. 1 for having the world’s highest quality of life, and particularly notes the city’s harmonious political and social environment as a reason why.

Times can change quickly, it seems.

Behind the Numbers

European cities dominate Mercer’s list, which rates 420 global cities on the basis of the political and social environment (including stability, crime and law enforcement); the strength of the economy; restrictions, such as censorship and limitations on personal freedom; the quality of health care as well as exposure to infectious diseases; and school quality. In addition, it looked at recreation, theaters, sports activities, access to grocery markets, the availability and cost of housing, as well as the climate and susceptibility to natural disasters.

It’s a mouthful of criteria, to be sure. Cities were ranked on an index where New York City was 100. Vienna, for example, scored a 108.6, Zürich, Switzerland, came in second at 108, Geneva was next at 107.9 and Vancouver notched a win for North America by finishing fourth at 107.4. At the bottom, by contrast, were Baghdad, at 14.4; Bangui, the politically corrupt capital of the Central African Republic at 29.3, and N’Djamena, Chad, notable for it’s difficult pronunciation and constant rebel attacks, at 31.3.

For the first time, Mercer also evaluated cities on the basis of their infrastructure, including electricity supply, water availability, telephone and mail services, public transportation, traffic congestion and the range of international flights from local airports.

Infrastructure was a category that propelled many German cities toward the top of the table. After Munich, which notched the two spot, Düsseldorf finished sixth and Frankfurt eighth, followed by Berlin at No. 16.

In the report, Slagin Parakatil, senior researcher at Mercer, said simply, “German city infrastructure is among the best in the world” and held particular praise for the fast connections available to international destinations.

Credit the high priority German cities place on urban mobility, especially trains, which are seen as instrumental to attracting and developing business in Europe’s largest economy. Maria Krautzberger, permanent secretary of the Berlin Senate Department for Urban Development, told Forbes that the ability for companies to connect to global business networks of suppliers and customers makes infrastructure an essential competitive advantage for cities.

Infrastructure improvement, particularly in high-speed rail, has also been a priority of the Obama administration, which allocated $8 billion of the $787 billion stimulus package to the cause of six possible high-speed corridors around the nation.

But the U.S. is a bit behind the curve. Germany, for example, has had high-speed rail since 1991. In Japan, the Shinkansen, the country’s high-speed network, has been operational since 1964.

While the Obama administration has focused its support for such networks through the creation of jobs and easing of congestion, the long-term competitive advantage that cities gain as the result of such linkages has the potential to be its longest-term benefit. Of course, that’s assuming the projects are completed and the U.S. doesn’t bankrupt itself with deficit spending.
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
RANDY1: yes I have been to Lagos , it shouldn't be on the list of top 1000 cities in the world . I was just being nice by inserting 5 instead of 1 and three zeros
wait oo. Where are you from?
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by RANDY1: 3:18pm On Jul 13, 2014

3 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 3:36pm On Jul 13, 2014
smiley
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 3:37pm On Jul 13, 2014
@Randy1,
Yes,it will be difficult für American to adjusted to the train system. they can only adjust to train system if government impose more tax on car drivers. eg parking space and stuff like that. the new american high speed train system will be a big project for the government it will take alot of time and billions of dollars to be completed. by then their european counterpart have gone to another level.. >: grin
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
euroboy21: for me, i am just posting the cities i love and have been to. i live in düsseldorf Germany,a cool lovely city in west Germany. i also love frankfurt. i just love the atmosphere there. all German cities are clean and wounderfully structured. and everything is of high quality, riad, cars, houses. i wish Nigerian government can learn from Germans.
Wie geht es Ihnen? Sie leben wo?Sind Sie ein Nigerianer?I'ld mögen Sie mehr kennen.Mein Name ist Valentin.
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by RANDY1: 3:54pm On Jul 13, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by lymelyte(m): 3:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
Big cities and bright light....short day and long night, No stress and no strive.. grin
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2014
RANDY1: ever heard of the Venus Project ? these are future cities . the United states sets the pace in the world,We are the pioneers . everything you now see in the world was invented or conceived by americans . All the skyscrapers and freeways being built in dubai or china or eco atlantic are old ideas in the US . we are bored of it all ,we are looking forward to a new civilization while most of the world are trying to catch up with old ideas .
there are a lot of futuristic research ongoing at this time . in the future we might be travelling by Teleportation instead of roads .
--we do not need high speed rails in the US because you can fly from Sacramento to Toronto in just 2 hours instead of 14 hours by high speed rail.

The United states is the greatest nation in the world and will always be. we conquer all adversities and come out even greater .
American will sein. Halten, täuschen Sie sich. Idiot

1 Like

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
grin Euroboy21 lebt nicht in Deutschland. Schande! Er kann nicht Deutsch sprechen. lol
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 4:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
americans are busy building venus projects when their citizens can not get basic health care. and black americans are dying of poverty in ghetto. and crazy people shooting innocent children in school. they cant use their resources to provide things that will benefit the poor masses. pollution everywhere in the air. thats why they have highest rate of respiratory diseases.
@ nobelval, mir gehts gut, ich bin Nigerianer. ich wohne in Düsseldorf.und Sie?
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by RANDY1: 4:28pm On Jul 13, 2014

3 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2014
euroboy21: americans are busy building venus projets when there citizens cant get basic health care. and black americans are dying of poverty in ghetto. and crazy people shooting innocent children in school. they cant use their resources to provide things that will benefit the poor masses. pollution everywhere in the air. thats why they have highest rate of resporatory diseases.
@ nobelval, mir gehts gut, ich bin Nigerianer. ich wohne in Düsseldorf.und Sie?
Okay. Ich wohne in Lagos. Aber ich komme nach Deutschland für Unternehmen...München um genau zu sein. Ich dachte, du Tricks mit mir gespielt hast. Was tun Sie es. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
RANDY1:

Like I said previously , everything being built in Dubai or shanghai etc. are old news in the USA and other first world nations . we know the implications of it all,we know the implications of the current unsustainable civilization because we have been there and done it .
The Venus project is an innovative Idea and solution to deal with the problems of the current civilization.

btw:do you mind us shipping the black americans who can't get health care or dying of poverty in the ghetto back to africa?
that would be a good idea and the united states would be a much more better place . cool
Rassist! Idi.o.t!
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by RANDY1: 4:45pm On Jul 13, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
RANDY1: no one in the audience can comprehend the german writing on this forum as English(American/Canadian English precisely) is the Universal Language . you seem more like slaves Squatting in Germany Instead,you had no choice but to learn German . As the Germany is America's Allies,we have a lot of ESL teachers teaching english there in Germany ,Japan ,South Korea,Phillipines etc.
And also; a real German respects America,many aspire to migrate to the United states despite Germany being a first world nation . and are never or rarely critical of America. that's how I know you are a Fraud .
who said I live in Germany? You typed a shitload of garbbage.
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Abbott(m): 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2014
See as them they waste electricity for Chicago! Can't they off the light to reduce AEPA/PHCA bills? cool
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Mettal: 6:43pm On Jul 13, 2014
Choi!!! FRANKFURT is da bomb!

2 Likes

Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by salam1(m): 7:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
Chaii I don tire 2 dey save o
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
salam1: Chaii I don tire 2 dey save o
lol...
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 11:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
@nobelval, es tut mir leid ich habe nicht beantwortet. ich war im arbeitplatz. was unternimmst du in Deutschland? und ich verstehe nicht die satz " was tun Sie es" es gibt kein Sinn....
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 11:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
@ Randy1. you have no idea. what happens here. people migrat for many reasons. but believe me. there are lots of americans here wishing to change their american passport for German, claiming to have german heritage. Because of benefit of being a german. do you know German pasport have more visa free travel zone than American passport. Germany is a hardworking country. everything is in order. and 100 % security,clean high standard of living. only lazy people complain here. because they want to sell drugs. and germany police dont smile on anything illegal activity. they are always on alertness. you make illegal move, they move you. Germany is a country for hardworking people. not people like you who stay in Nairaland typing all day. Go find job this is 2014. no time.
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 11:50pm On Jul 13, 2014
@Randy1. imagine a country that was totally destroyed in ww2.Raise again. being one of the world largest economy. with rich mega cities. low unemployment and the list goes on. i am no saying america is not a great country. its a big great country. but i can not live there. the economy is bleeped up and 60% live on debt. they can not pay in their life time. imagine living your whole life and dying as a debtor. all in the name of American dreams.
Re: Major Cities Of The World: {pictures} by euroboy21(m): 12:09am On Jul 14, 2014
Here are some of the pictures american media hide from the world. hollywood only show us sky scrapes with flashy light. and make the world forget 25% of americans live on food stamps. and lack basic health care.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

To Those That Have traveled out of Nigeria. / Indian Policemen "Harass" Nigerian Man, Sparks A Riot (Picture, Video) / Funny Things First Time Travelers Do Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.