Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,774 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Assembly Or C - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Assembly Or C (771 Views)

Creating UWP Application In C# Or C++ (xaml) / Which Do I Learn First C Or C++ / Web Service Using Java Or C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Assembly Or C by pjosh1(m): 7:17pm On Jul 12, 2014
Which of the language is good for a complete beginner who hasn't programmed before but willing to learn programming from ground up. I know the pros and cons. Of assembly like it been difficult and all that, and i also know the pros and cons of C. But which language will you recommend for someone who is willing to sacrifice the time and money to learn programming. I plan on learning the basis of computer, learning everything possible and interact closely with the system. I even plan on making an OS using linux kernel from the scratch in the near future.
I do not plan to learn programming just to start creating software in the next six months or 1 year but plan on learning stuff and everything possible for at least the next 4 or 5 years(i know programming is a continous process, you never stop learning).
Re: Assembly Or C by BlueMagnificent(m): 7:06am On Jul 13, 2014
You can learn both together, they have non intrusive syntax so there will be no confusion combining them.
Re: Assembly Or C by GoodBoi1(m): 8:19am On Jul 13, 2014
For a complete beginner, I'll say learn with C before assembly ;cos once you understand low-level programming concepts with C (which is easier), assembly won't be that difficult for you to apply. Some people say C is just abstracted assembly besides C++, java, C# and several other languages are derived from C so a good understanding of C is beneficial .
Re: Assembly Or C by pjosh1(m): 11:39am On Jul 13, 2014
Bluemagnificient and gudbio1 thanks for ur contribution...
@gudbio1..i have seen lots of comment online frm programmers wishing they have learnt assembly before C, so of them say it's difficult because they get used to C syntax with statement like 'if' , 'else', etc. What's ur take on dis?
Re: Assembly Or C by GoodBoi1(m): 12:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
Well I've done some hardware programming using 8051 assembly in school, it was for a short duration and the concepts learnt in C helped me to understand the lessons. Programming with assembly is working directly with the memory, so if you understand the concept of arrays, pointers, memory allocation in C language you will know "whys" in assembly. Using C for hardware programming is better because of the abstraction, for instance a delay function for 8051 assembly in C is just one line of code but in assembly you'll do the calculation and memory allocation yourself, more lines of code . Assembly is better used when performance is required. I'll advise that before you learn any assembly version , first learn ANSI C (pure c language)
Re: Assembly Or C by pjosh1(m): 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2014
GoodBoi1: Well I've done some hardware programming using 8051 assembly in school, it was for a short duration and the concepts learnt in C helped me to understand the lessons. Programming with assembly is working directly with the memory, so if you understand the concept of arrays, pointers, memory allocation in C language you will know "whys" in assembly. Using C for hardware programming is better because of the abstraction, for instance a delay function for 8051 assembly in C is just one line of code but in assembly you'll do the calculation and memory allocation yourself, more lines of code . Assembly is better used when performance is required. I'll advise that before you learn any assembly version , first learn ANSI C (pure c language)
thanks
Re: Assembly Or C by asalimpo(m): 1:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
I beg to differ. Ppl who strt with d easier route ar often too pampered and spoiled to go for d harder option. So i'll say go for assembly. Master it till it becomes natural,then u may try c. Then u'll know y c does thngs d way it does, and how to bypass it if you dnt like somof its methods.
Re: Assembly Or C by pjosh1(m): 2:44pm On Jul 13, 2014
asalimpo: I beg to differ. Ppl who strt with d easier route ar often too pampered and spoiled to go for d harder option. So i'll say go for assembly. Master it till it becomes natural,then u may try c. Then u'll know y c does thngs d way it does, and how to bypass it if you dnt like somof its methods.
thanks for your contribution
Re: Assembly Or C by GoodBoi1(m): 7:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
pjosh1: Which of the language is good for a complete beginner who hasn't programmed before but willing to learn programming from ground up. I know the pros and cons. Of assembly like it been difficult and all that, and i also know the pros and cons of C. But which language will you recommend for someone who is willing to sacrifice the time and money to learn programming. I plan on learning the basis of computer, learning everything possible and interact closely with the system. I even plan on making an OS using linux kernel from the scratch in the near future.
I do not plan to learn programming just to start creating software in the next six months or 1 year but plan on learning stuff and everything possible for at least the next 4 or 5 years(i know programming is a continous process, you never stop learning).
Reconsidering your post again, you should start with assembly, @asalimpo is right, but materials out there might assume you already know how to program
Re: Assembly Or C by pjosh1(m): 11:47pm On Jul 13, 2014
GoodBoi1: Reconsidering your post again, you should start with assembly, @asalimpo is right, but materials out there might assume you already know how to program
they are alot of materials for beginners and courses at sites like vtc,infiniteskills and udacity.

(1) (Reply)

An Issue.... / Adsense Account For Sale. Nigeria And Non-hosted. / Apple Just Received A Permit To Test Self-driving Cars In California

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.