Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE (1185 Views)

5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. / This Site Will Give Facebook Run For Their Money!! / My Site Will Be A Month Old Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by callmejulian: 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
Truth be told, though it might be fun for users to surf through different social networking sites, It's not so for the backend staff. Below are some of the problem every social network owner has to battle.

1: Spam: YOUR WEBSITE WILL GET SPAMMED with millions of fake accounts, Most of them coming from china and Egypt. You have to work day and night to remove spam accounts. If you are like me, give a 30Days grace warning before taking down the accounts.

2: Hacking: Every website faces the risk of getting hacked. Mine got hacked, my admin account got deleted but i got is back anyway. You need to upgrade your security regularly, Don't go for cheap hosting services and security. Go for the very best.

3: Bandwidth: Once people start registering, uploading pictures and making use of your website in general , it takes alot of bandwidth. Contact your host and talk to them. Let them know you run a social network and they'll know what to do. Worst case scenario, GET A DEDICATED SERVER

4: Data space: Pictures, music, video, database, all use up data space so i advice you go for the above mentioned solution.

5: Website control: You should have the controls to your website at the tip of your fingers. You should be able to debug any problem, respond to any request and most importantly you must be able SHUTDOWN THE WEBSITE for security reasons without deleting any files or at lease turn the website offline. (Mine has been offline since july 9th because its still under development and i'm already taking down fake accounts).

6: Design: This is what most Nigerian webmasters fail to take note of. Your design matters alot!!!! If you have a wack design, You won't have any user at all (Except your family members because they have no choice) make sure your design is exciting(Don't throw in too many wild colors) and make sure your website is responsive.

7: Support: You must be available to attend to support requests 24/7 or at least 12/7

If you really want a social network and can't meet up with the above list. You can also look into getting one designed for you or Buying an already designed one (Could be very expensive).

So if your website meets all that, you would be just fine smiley.............................................................................................for now lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by callmejulian: 10:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
you should read this
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by ClintonNzedimma(m): 11:35pm On Jul 16, 2014
Dude i still consider myself a learner despite my knowledge of html, css,javascript and jquery.....dats y i still use WAPKA,i will switch to web hosting very soon and i will take dis advice seriously because a couple of months ago, i thought i was ready and i thought i was ready to leave wapka then i saw a web hosting service in Naija that was doing cheap hosting, huge bandwidth and storage.
Then i hosted my first website for a month....before i knew it,they shut down and i kudnt recover my data and i didnt get wat i paid for.....Well the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.....its common among young enthusiastic webmasters
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by MrAnonymous: 12:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
^^^ There are free foreign hosts you can start with. x10hosting is not bad. There are even reputable and secured hosts that are cheap as well (around N800 per month).
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
MrAnonymous: ^^^ There are free foreign hosts you can start with. x10hosting is not bad. There are even reputable and secured hosts that are cheap as well (around N800 per month).
bros, am young oh, that money i used for cheap hosting was a gift.....i dont even have a bank account.
I will use wapka till i turn 18
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by MrAnonymous: 10:12pm On Jul 17, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: bros, am young oh, that money i used for cheap hosting was a gift.....i dont even have a bank account.

Good luck.
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by callmejulian: 10:04am On Jul 19, 2014
ClintonNzedimma: bros, am young oh, that money i used for cheap hosting was a gift.....i dont even have a bank account.
Take my advice seriously and you will be fine
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:16am On Jul 19, 2014
callmejulian:
Take my advice seriously and you will be fine
thanks....NO CHEAP HOSTING
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by logoscope(m): 12:57pm On Jul 19, 2014
I use Wapka also. I know HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by fattbabakay(m): 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2014
MrAnonymous: ^^^ There are free foreign hosts you can start with. x10hosting is not bad. There are even reputable and secured hosts that are cheap as well (around N800 per month).
#800 per month? shocked
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by callmejulian: 8:15pm On Jul 19, 2014
fattbabakay: #800 per month? shocked
cheap host, lower level of security.
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by MrAnonymous: 8:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
fattbabakay: #800 per month? shocked
Too cheap or too expensive? Anyway, most webhosts charge $4 to $5 per month for their starter/beginner plans. That's around N845 and that was the amount I used to pay for my first hosting plan. Professional plans are around $30/month (5K).
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by MrAnonymous: 8:23pm On Jul 19, 2014
callmejulian:
cheap host, lower level of security.
Um, Hostgator hatching plan costs $5.56/month.
Perhaps you should've said cheap hosting, not cheap "host", while they can be used interchangeably in most cases, they actually mean two different things. Cheers. smiley
Re: YOUR SOCIAL NETWORK SITE WILL DIE IF YOU DONT TAKE NOTE OF THESE by fattbabakay(m): 8:55pm On Jul 19, 2014
MrAnonymous: Too cheap or too expensive? Anyway, most webhosts charge $4 to $5 per month for their starter/beginner plans. That's around N845 and that was the amount I used to pay for my first hosting plan. Professional plans are around $30/month (5K).
Abeg Month of Year??

(1) (Reply)

Get Plenty Likes For Facebook And Followers For Twitter And Instagram – We Go He / How To Make Money From Blogging / Get An Affordable Pro Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.