Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,253 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. (17677 Views)

5 Destructive Things You Should Stop Doing As A Blogger / 5 Things Nigerian Bloggers Should Stop Doing / 7 Things To Stop Doing If You Want To Make Money From Your Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by FraNKAPP(m): 9:14pm On Jan 10, 2016
1. Stop using one or the same password for all your social media account: See the reason (My story)

Although we all want convenience that we don’t want to always crack our brains to remember the password we used for a particular account, instead we want to use the same password for every account for easy remembrance, it is always very advisable not to use the same password for all your accounts. You want to know the reason? Cool, continue and read my story of experience.

On this day 15th of November, 2014, I traveled to my village to enjoy Sunday rice cooked by my mother. Earlier to this date, I have used same password for my email account and one of my old website. Back then, I was new to web development and I knew little or nothing about security. During that time and exactly that date, that my website that I developed with amateur knowledge got hacked. You can agree with me that websites can always be hacked, even government websites get hacked talk more of mine then. What are my saying? Am saying that the email and password that I used for the website was just exactly the same for my email account (I used the same password for my website and my email account). Immediately the hacker got this information through my website, the first thing he/she did was to check out if the email address and password corresponds with my email account, and fortunately for him/her, that was it. He/she was able to login.

How I knew? It started and happened that I was in my village that day, and I only came to eat Sunday rice and leave immediately. As I was bouncing on the rice, I received an SMS on my non-internet enabled phone, a Nokia product. First, I thought it was MTN Nigeria that sent the SMS which is their normal thing. I now relaxed and continued bouncing on the rice. Just after 3 minutes I received another SMS, this time I have to check and know the content. As I picked up my phone, the sender was Google, in my mind, Google this hot afternoon? I opened the first SMS, it read “Account Notification: Your account was recently logged in from…..at…..”. Ohhh!, I screamed, but not to end there, I checked the second message, it read “Account Notification: The password for your Google Account ….@gmail.com was recently changed. google.com/password”. This time around, I included blood of Jesus in my screaming.

I now started looking for solution, at least let me recover it. I opened my laptop, the battery was already down. That is the wickedness of Simple Server free browsing. I rushed to my internet enabled phone, it was down too. And you know village matters, PHCN was never dreaming of restoring electric power and I just came in, I did not buy petrol for our power generator. What a world? In my heart, this can’t happen.

I have to leave the rice and take to my heels. On my way going out to charge up my laptop, I remembered that I won some cash and the details was in the inbox. Oh my… I almost collapsed on the road.

To cut it short, thanks be to God, the hacker was clueless enough and he forgot to do one thing which had it been he/she did, the case will just end.

Also, thanks to the smartness of the great Internet Company Google. They helped me in bringing the whole issue to a calm. And after everything I own my accounts now.

You want to dare me? You can’t, I can no longer be hacked because Almighty is now involved. And I now use different passwords which I can’t even remember for all my accounts.

If you are reading this, you are lucky to be here, I urge you to go on now and change your passwords to entirely different combinations. Do you well to share this for others to learn.

2. Don’t use weak password: This is my password “m7_8hydNigeria^.com*!!6@5”. See the reason (My story)

Note: The only secure password is the one you can’t remember

Let’s assume you log onto a bunch of different websites; Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Gmail, eBay, PayPal probably some banking, may be a few discussion forums and probably much more.

Do your passwords always use different character types such as uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and punctuation? Are they “strong”?

If you can’t answer “yes” to this question, you’ve got yourself a problem. But the thing is, there is simply no way you can remember all your unique, strong passwords and the sooner you recognise this, the sooner you can embrace a more secure alternative.

Don’t tell me that your name is John Smith and your email address is johnsmith@gmail.com and coming to your social media account like Facebook, your login details is

Email or Phone: johnsmith@gmail.com

Password: “john” or “smith” or “johnsmith” or even johnsmith1. Don’t even try that.

Now my story…

I used to use my name as my PC password. One day, I had only 30% battery left, and I really want to use the PC for something very important. I now shutdown the PC and left. When I came back, I saw my roommate using the PC and the battery now remains 10%. I wanted to get mad but I could not.

How were you able to unlock the PC, I asked. He said that he just typed my name and voila my PC unlocks.

It was too bad. What is now the essence of locking it before. I really felt a novice.

Please, if you are still doing this, please stop and start using strong passwords like “m7_8hydNigeria^.com*!!6@5”

3. Don’t click “Remember me” or Remember password in public computer. If your password is saved, is a pity

Whenever you are on a public computer such as a cyber cafe, don’t click or check the “Remember me/Keep me logged in” check box.

And also whenever you input your password and hit enter key, you may notice a prompt i.e a popup requesting you to choose if you want the browser (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc.) to save your password. Please, click “Not Now” or “Never”.

Do you know that if you accepted to save your password, any computer savvy that comes in can easily check and see your password. You want to know how? See image below.

4. Stop being a Phishing Victim. Don’t click or Login from every link you see.

Phishing is the attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and sometimes, indirectly, money), often for malicious reasons, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.

For example, if someone sent you a mail with the Subject “BVN Update” and when you open the message it requested you to click on a link similar to your bank’s official website, please don’t click unless you are very sure that it is your bank’s official address. And if eventually you clicked, they will take you to a page exactly as your bank’s own with a similar URL. Here, they will request for some of your sensitive information like your ATM number and pin so that they can update your information. That is a lie, it’s a scam. Please don’t fall for it. Always verify the URL of the page before you do any update because once you enter anything, it will enter their database.

Again, they might come for your Facebook account. Here they will send you a link similar to that of Facebook and when you open it you will see a page designed exactly as that of Facebook. They will request for your email and password. If you enter those details and click login, your login details is going to their database. So, always verify the URL and make sure that it is https://www.facebook.com before you login.

5. Leaving your mobile devices insecure.
If your mobile devices are linked to your social media accounts, make sure that these devices are password protected in case they are lost or stolen.

With all these tips, I hope I have been able to convince and change your mind towards social media;

Cc: lalasticlala

http://frankapptech.com/5-things-you-must-stop-doing-to-improve-your-social-media-security-dont-get-hacked/

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Lordskyes(m): 1:40am On Jan 11, 2016
Brilliant...!!

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by fattbabakay(m): 2:07am On Jan 11, 2016
lalasticLALA

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by FraNKAPP(m): 7:03am On Jan 11, 2016
Lordskyes:
Brilliant...!!

Thanks for the compliment
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by calliope(f): 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2016
FraNKAPP:
1. Stop using one or the same password for all your social media account: See the reason (My story)
Although we all want convenience that we don’t want to always crack our brains to remember the password we used for a particular account, instead we want to use the same password for every account for easy remembrance, it is always very advisable not to use the same password for all your accounts. You want to know the reason? Cool, continue and read my story of experience.
On this day 15th of November, 2014, I traveled to my village to enjoy Sunday rice cooked by my mother. Earlier to this date, I have used same password for my email account and one of my old website. Back then, I was new to web development and I knew little or nothing about security. During that time and exactly that date, that my website that I developed with amateur knowledge got hacked. You can agree with me that websites can always be hacked, even government websites get hacked talk more of mine then. What are my saying? Am saying that the email and password that I used for the website was just exactly the same for my email account (I used the same password for my website and my email account). Immediately the hacker got this information through my website, the first thing he/she did was to check out if the email address and password corresponds with my email account, and fortunately for him/her, that was it. He/she was able to login.
How I knew? It started and happened that I was in my village that day, and I only came to eat Sunday rice and leave immediately. As I was bouncing on the rice, I received an SMS on my non-internet enabled phone, a Nokia product. First, I thought it was MTN Nigeria that sent the SMS which is their normal thing. I now relaxed and continued bouncing on the rice. Just after 3 minutes I received another SMS, this time I have to check and know the content. As I picked up my phone, the sender was Google, in my mind, Google this hot afternoon? I opened the first SMS, it read “Account Notification: Your account was recently logged in from…..at…..”. Ohhh!, I screamed, but not to end there, I checked the second message, it read “Account Notification: The password for your Google Account ….@gmail.com was recently changed. google.com/password”. This time around, I included blood of Jesus in my screaming.
I now started looking for solution, at least let me recover it. I opened my laptop, the battery was already down. That is the wickedness of Simple Server free browsing. I rushed to my internet enabled phone, it was down too. And you know village matters, PHCN was never dreaming of restoring electric power and I just came in, I did not buy petrol for our power generator. What a world? In my heart, this can’t happen.
I have to leave the rice and take to my heels. On my way going out to charge up my laptop, I remembered that I won some cash and the details was in the inbox. Oh my… I almost collapsed on the road.
To cut it short, thanks be to God, the hacker was clueless enough and he forgot to do one thing which had it been he/she did, the case will just end.
Also, thanks to the smartness of the great Internet Company Google. They helped me in bringing the whole issue to a calm. And after everything I own my accounts now.
You want to dare me? You can’t, I can no longer be hacked because Almighty is now involved. And I now use different passwords which I can’t even remember for all my accounts.
If you are reading this, you are lucky to be here, I urge you to go on now and change your passwords to entirely different combinations. Do you well to share this for others to learn.

2. Don’t use weak password: This is my password “m7_8hydNigeria^.com*!!6@5”. See the reason (My story)

Note: The only secure password is the one you can’t remember
Let’s assume you log onto a bunch of different websites; Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Gmail, eBay, PayPal probably some banking, may be a few discussion forums and probably much more.
Do your passwords always use different character types such as uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and punctuation? Are they “strong”?
If you can’t answer “yes” to this question, you’ve got yourself a problem. But the thing is, there is simply no way you can remember all your unique, strong passwords and the sooner you recognise this, the sooner you can embrace a more secure alternative.
Don’t tell me that your name is John Smith and your email address is johnsmith@gmail.com and coming to your social media account like Facebook, your login details is
Email or Phone: johnsmith@gmail.com
Password: “john” or “smith” or “johnsmith” or even johnsmith1. Don’t even try that.
Now my story…
I used to use my name as my PC password. One day, I had only 30% battery left, and I really want to use the PC for something very important. I now shutdown the PC and left. When I came back, I saw my roommate using the PC and the battery now remains 10%. I wanted to get mad but I could not.
How were you able to unlock the PC, I asked. He said that he just typed my name and voila my PC unlocks.
It was too bad. What is now the essence of locking it before. I really felt a novice.
Please, if you are still doing this, please stop and start using strong passwords like “m7_8hydNigeria^.com*!!6@5”
3. Don’t click “Remember me” or Remember password in public computer. If your password is saved, is a pity
Whenever you are on a public computer such as a cyber cafe, don’t click or check the “Remember me/Keep me logged in” check box.
And also whenever you input your password and hit enter key, you may notice a prompt i.e a popup requesting you to choose if you want the browser (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc.) to save your password. Please, click “Not Now” or “Never”.
Do you know that if you accepted to save your password, any computer savvy that comes in can easily check and see your password. You want to know how? See image below.
4. Stop being a Phishing Victim. Don’t click or Login from every link you see.
Phishing is the attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and sometimes, indirectly, money), often for malicious reasons, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
For example, if someone sent you a mail with the Subject “BVN Update” and when you open the message it requested you to click on a link similar to your bank’s official website, please don’t click unless you are very sure that it is your bank’s official address. And if eventually you clicked, they will take you to a page exactly as your bank’s own with a similar URL. Here, they will request for some of your sensitive information like your ATM number and pin so that they can update your information. That is a lie, it’s a scam. Please don’t fall for it. Always verify the URL of the page before you do any update because once you enter anything, it will enter their database.
Again, they might come for your Facebook account. Here they will send you a link similar to that of Facebook and when you open it you will see a page designed exactly as that of Facebook. They will request for your email and password. If you enter those details and click login, your login details is going to their database. So, always verify the URL and make sure that it is https://www.facebook.com before you login.
5. Leaving your mobile devices insecure.
If your mobile devices are linked to your social media accounts, make sure that these devices are password protected in case they are lost or stolen.
With all these tips, I hope I have been able to convince and change your mind towards social media;
Cc: lalasticlala
http://frankapptech.com/5-things-you-must-stop-doing-to-improve-your-social-media-security-dont-get-hacked/
nice piece

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by imsuboi(m): 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2016
why?
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by tpiah2: 2:54pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hm
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 12, 2016
The importance of this over flogged topic cannot be over-emphasized.
Thanks O.P.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by bbulldog(m): 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2016
Loading, I cannot come and go and die
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by sadeade67: 2:59pm On Jan 12, 2016
thanks

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by amivel(f): 3:00pm On Jan 12, 2016
Thanks good one i'm guilty of the first I use one password for all my social media account and other things thanks.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 12, 2016
Nice one.
Look Out for Background Recording apps grin grin

My story
That was how this fine babe told me, "Lemme use your PC to facebook" grin
As a good guy, I started the record tool in the browser and gave her the PC...told her not to close "that app" oo,if not the connection will be lost.
She was even hidding to type her password grin I bone turn face like say e no concern me grin

I was a shareholder in her Facebook account for a while... Mumuness
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by muaa(f): 3:01pm On Jan 12, 2016
Educative

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Melinde: 3:02pm On Jan 12, 2016
Great. Weldone.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Jeffchuks: 3:04pm On Jan 12, 2016
Nice one op, but I thought there was already a thread on this before now. Anyway, good job.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by laprince(m): 3:06pm On Jan 12, 2016
Informative piece

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by laprince(m): 3:06pm On Jan 12, 2016
Informative piece.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Rollingdice(m): 3:09pm On Jan 12, 2016
Already know that cool. But if u didn't know now u know. A word enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by coolestca(m): 3:11pm On Jan 12, 2016
I like

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Barezzi(m): 3:16pm On Jan 12, 2016
Brilliant and incisive wink

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by guruvick(m): 3:16pm On Jan 12, 2016
H
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by hertheytheydgee(m): 3:17pm On Jan 12, 2016
Go and tell those pupils over there

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by ichommy(m): 3:20pm On Jan 12, 2016
Seen

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by chyckxx(m): 3:23pm On Jan 12, 2016
[Music] swagkidcornel - good loving. http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1c405eb5
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by chioma9191(f): 3:36pm On Jan 12, 2016
taken

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by Segadem(m): 3:43pm On Jan 12, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by davit: 3:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
best2com:
Nice one.

My story
As a good guy, I started the record tool in the browser and gave her the PC...told her not to close "that app" oo,if not the connection will be lost.
She was even hidding to type her password grin I bone turn face like say e no concern me grin

Baddest guy!
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by eliteweb(m): 3:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
Thanks

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by GlassDoc: 3:50pm On Jan 12, 2016
best2com:
Nice one.

My story

bad guy
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by eliteweb(m): 3:51pm On Jan 12, 2016
calliope:
nice piece

Must u quote d entire write up because of dis ur lean NICE PIECE?

Go just de waste space anyhow

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by akagson: 3:57pm On Jan 12, 2016
best2com:
Nice one.

My story

Please enlighten me. What recording are you talking about? Which software?
Re: 5 Things You Must Stop Doing To Improve Your Social Media Security. by wendixx(f): 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2016
best2com:
Nice one.

My story

Guy abeg what is the name of the app? I need to know it wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Internet Faceless Forum Aren't As Faceless As It Seems / How to Spot Rogue Web Developers before giving a project / How Can I integrate as sms system to my website. any help?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.